Start by marking “Fahr zur Hölle (Temperance Brennan, #14)” as Want to Read:
Fahr zur Hölle (Temperance Brennan, #14)

Fahr zur Hölle (Temperance Brennan #14)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  16,781 Ratings  ·  1,180 Reviews
In Charlotte, Tempe Brennans Heimatstadt, ist die Hölle los. 200.000 Motorsport-Fans sind auf dem Weg zum Charlotte Motor Speedway und dem großen NASCAR-Rennwochenende. Auf einer Müllhalde nahe der Strecke werden in einem Teerfass menschliche Überreste gefunden. Das Mitglied eines NASCAR-Teams wendet sich an die Forensikerin und erzählt ihr, dass seine Schwester Cindi vor ...more
Published September 2011 by Karl Blessing Verlag (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fahr zur Hölle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fahr zur Hölle

Sue
Either the formula is wearing thin or I'm tiring a bit of the formula but I didn't love this latest installment in Kathy Reich's long-running series about a forensic anthropologist. This episode takes place in her home town of Charlotte, home to NASCAR, and has tie-ins to the race business. It also links to American extremists, and several missing people.

I'm not going to give away plot points here. My main problem with the story and its telling was the telling: too many repeated comments about h
noelle
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-own, ebooks
It was 1:50 p.m. My sweat-soaked tee was pasted to my back. My hair was yanked into a ratty knot. Sand lined my scalp and undies. Nevertheless, I was humming. Al Yankovic, “White & Nerdy.” What can I say? I’d watched a YouTube video and the tune lodged in my head.

wow, off to a really terrible start, aren't we, kathy reichs?

conclusion: why do i keep reading these ridiculous, ultra formulaic books

so boring

so bad
Jenna
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-forensic
In the past, I have enjoyed the Temperance Brennan novels by Kathy Reichs, but this one fell rather flat for me. I did read the entire book, but it was an "easy" read and I figured I might as well find out who "dunnit".

I think why I did not enjoy this book as much as some of the others is that there was a lot less "forensic" information in the story -- except of for the discovery of a body in a barrell which pulls Dr. Brennan into the observation, her forensic skills are not really that needed
Bryan Higgs
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, whenever Kathy Reichs come up with another 'Bones' book, my wife and I grab it from the library (which means we have to wait our turn, because she's popular), and then read it very quickly.

We discovered Kathy Reichs when we took a vacation in Prince Edward Island, Canada. My wife usually grabs an audio book (or several) from the library so we can listen to it while we drive -- and PEI is something like 15 hours drive! That time, she borrowed "Deja Dead" (a terrible title, but a great book)
Aoibhínn
I've been a fan of the Temperance Brennan series for about six or seven years now. I've read all fourteen novels in the series and this book was the worst one yet. I loved most of the books that Kathy Reichs has written. They are usually well written but this one was something of a letdown. The author only writes one book per year. Every year I wait in anticipation for the new novel but for the first time it really wasn't worth the wait!

Flash and Bones is contrived, repetitious and extremely du
Alex Cantone
“Flash and Bones” opens with forensic anthropologist Tempe Brennan, reflecting on NASCAR race week at the Charlotte raceway, stormy Spring weather, and how Summer saved her life. Summer is the self-absorbed large-breasted twenty-something squeeze of her ex-husband Pete, who annoyingly turns up / rings up to wail about the upcoming wedding arrangements. Summer is one character I would have liked to have seen on ME Larabee’s slab, with a tag on her toe.

With Larabee busy on an autopsy, Tempe is ask
Paula Brandon
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Tempe Brennan is dragged into a mystery with the discovery of a body in a barrel at a NASCAR speedway. This ends up linking to the mysterious disappearance of a 17 year old girl several years earlier, and her boyfriend, who had ties to militia groups. The girl's older brother, pushing for the investigation to be reopened, also becomes the victim of a homicide. And the FBI get involved, snatching the body from the barrel for their own purposes.

I read 60 pages of this, and then all sorts of ot
Jane Higginson
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took a break from reading Kathy Reich's books for a little while because that had been all I had been reading it worked nicely because I really really enjoyed reading this and once I'd picked it up I didn't want to put it down and I'm looking forward to catching up in the series now :)
Brooke
Jul 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2011
I'd complained back in my review of Devil Bones that Reichs left the readers out of a really important conversation between Tempe Brennan and her on-again, off-again boyfriend Andrew Ryan. Rather than letting the scene play out in real time, she'd related what happened after the fact. She's annoyingly using that same tactic in the newest Bones installment - and there's really no excuse, since the narrative clocks in at just 271 pages in the hardcover edition. She mentions Ryan a few times and le ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reason for Reading: I read all the author's books. I've got myself slightly behind but will get caught up shortly.

First I'll start by saying I enjoyed the book very much. It was actually quite refreshing. Reichs seems to have removed herself from the cookie cutter mold she had let herself slip into lately, not that I don't always enjoy her books to a 3 or more but they do follow a pattern. Here we have Tempe entering a new world, one she isn't familiar with, that of Nascar Racing and she has to
Toni Osborne
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book # 14, in the Temperance Brennan series

The plot in short and sweet words: Brennan is called to examine a body found in a barrel of asphalt beside the racetrack in Charlotte, North Carolina.

A Reichs novel has always been a quick and light read filled at great length with explanations. In “Flash and Bones” the history of NASCAR is her topic with the impact it has on the American culture. There is some suspense of course when Tempe’s investigation leads into dangerous territory while probing fo
Colby
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I waited a long time for this book to come out, bought it on my kindle the day it came out, and I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed. This definitely wasn't one her best, as I would put it down and didn't look at it for a whole weekend. I feel as though Reichs really didn't put her heart into this book. There was no Detective Ryan (again, 2nd book in a row, maybe 3rd), other than phone conversations. I get she's giving Tempe time in the South but, all the original books took place in Montreal. ...more
Kelly
Oct 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the Temperence Brennan series of books and I look forward every August to the next one being released but I'm sad to say that this is the first one which I feel was a let down. It actually hurts a bit to say that because I do really like this series of books.

It was still a nice read, but it wasn't anything special for me. Some of it I know is just my personal preferences - I missed getting to 'see' Montreal and I really missed the Tempe/Ryan relationship (even friendship) and bant
John Yelverton
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I've come to expect from a Temperance Brennan book, but it was still a great read.
Mackey St
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are times when I forget just how smart Kathy Reichs is until I remember to read another book in her Temperance Brennan series. With Reichs you never know what type of scenario you will find yourself: Canada, North Carolina, Hawaii or somewhere more remote. All you know is that there will be bones.
In Flash and Bones Bennan is back in North Carolina where a decades old body has turned up in an oil barrel encased in asphalt. This, of course, is just the beginning as more bodies pile up, the
Marleen
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story starts when a body is found in a barrel of asphalt on a refuse dump next to the Charlotte racetrack. As soon as the discovery of the body is made public, possible identifications come from two sides.
A young man claims it might be the body of the boyfriend of his sister. Both his sister and the boyfriend disappeared without a trace 12 years ago, and the young man desperately wants answers.
Another possibility is a middle aged man who has recently been reported as missing in the area by h
Ellie
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
It's saying something that I chose a Temperance Brennan book as an easy going in-flight read. I remember the days when they were quite challenging, trying to decipher medical terms and a smattering of French. I can't decide if Kathy Reichs has kust lost interest in the series or is pruposefully dumbing it down for TV audiences. It does seem a bit of a coincidence that the books started going downhill after Bones got popular!

So, a body is found encased in a barrel of tarmac in landfill adjacent t
Julie
Jan 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Dr Temperance, I do much prefer you in book form. For the record, I did record the whole last season of Bones that played in 2011, and have only finished watching it before the new year. I know the series and book are different, but I like the smart doctor, the more lengthy medical explanations without the cheesyness we get on screen.

In this novel there are a couple of stories centred around NASCAR racing in

Charlotte, which for me is a bit of a snooze. As I'm not into cars, although I can ap
Jennifer Hooker
SPOILERS AHEAD:

Normally I like the Tempe Brennan books but it was either my lack of interest in NASCAR or my lack of surprise at the plot twist but I'm growing tired of Reichs' Bones series. After about the first five I could tell the general formula of the story and it became less and less exciting each time. Person A is murdered and Tempe either is called in on the case or stumbles upon it. She investigates Persons B-E and the especially mysterious but seemingly unrelated Person F. She catches
Book Him Danno
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This is an author that I count the days until her next book. I love the writing, the mystery and the suspense, even with all the professional jargon. The murders are explained after finding the bodies, letting the bones do the talking. It’s amazing that our bones can tell so much about us, I don't know how anyone gets away with murder now days. I learn something new with each book and the personal relationships make the reading all the more enjoyable.

I love the TV series ‘Bones’ which is based o
Megan Baxter
Temperance Brennan goes NASCAR! Well, not really, but this one centres in and around Charlotte, North Carolina, just before and during Race Week. It's supposed to be near Brennan's home base, and that worked for me better than the only previous Reichs I'd read, set in Quebec and Hawaii. At any rate, having read two, I'd say this is a competent mystery, but oh man, have I ever been spoiled by Louise Penny. In comparison, this is just so surface.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due
Juli
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Reichs. All of the good stuff are here in this book, sans Andrew Ryan & the new love interest Charlie.

This novel takes place in her home town of Charlotte and covers one of the more basic Charlottean essentials... NASCAR.

Full of adventures with twists and turns, where Tempe finds her self between horrors and her safety is in jeopardy. So typically it's just as I would have expected and incorporates all the things that I love about Tempe.

It was a little weird with the ex-husband and h
Chana
I would give it a 3 1/2 if that were an avl rating.
I enjoyed this book; it was a little simpler than her previous books with a punchier, funnier dialogue. It didn't take itself as seriously nor was it heavy on the science of forensics. I liked her more serious books but this was a faster, and in some ways, a more enjoyable read. I also think it may have taken a step or two away from the reality of how investigations work, but that is OK. As entertainment, it was good.
The story involves Temperan
Robin
Pretty much read it straight through. Missed Ryan but still it was good stuff. I like it a bit more when she's in Canada.
Carolyn Rose
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the forensics.
Morgan Shull
Jun 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. I suffered through 70 pages until I had to just put it down. It was extremely boring.
Paula Newbanks
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As good a Temerpance Brennen book as any!! Good story line, well researched, a pleasure to read
Beth
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This fourteenth book in the long-running Temperance Brennan book series takes place during Race Week in Charlotte, North Carolina. When a metal drum is exposed after some soil erosion in a landfill, Tempe is called in because inside the drum is crumbling asphalt and from the asphalt, seemingly reaching for rescue, is a human hand. This particular area of the landfill has been closed down since 2005 and the operators think the burial of the drum took place between the late nineties and 2002. Clea
Rage
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
these books are always informative. not that I was really trying to learn about NASCAR and right-wing white supremacist militias, but hey. I realized towards the end of the book that one big difference between this and the show - Temperance spends most of her time investigating on foot, talking to people. she barely does anything in the lab, and there's little forensic information. also, every chapter ends on a little mini-cliffhanger, so the pause of flipping a page kind of reminded me of the w ...more
Elle
Sep 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Let me first point out that I am a long time fan of Kathy Reichs and this series. I eagerly await for each book to come out and in general I normally read it straight away, although with this one, there was plenty of books in the pile beforehand to be read for studying and the likes, that I couldn't avoid.

I was excited to finally have it at the top of my list, but I was disappointed within a few pages, and generally annoyed/angry by the end.

This review definitely deserves a list.

1. What. The. He
The Women's Myste...: Flash and Bones #14 3 31 Sep 13, 2017 11:50PM
Read 15 48 Apr 22, 2014 02:27PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Flash and Bones 1 4 Jan 23, 2012 07:40PM
that baseball cap 2 40 Dec 12, 2011 02:47PM
  • Silent Mercy (Alexandra Cooper, #13)
  • The Bone Thief (Body Farm, #5)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)
  • Evidence (Alex Delaware, #24)
  • Gun Games (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #20)
  • The Scarpetta Factor (Kay Scarpetta, #17)
  • V is for Vengeance (Kinsey Millhone, #22)
  • No Rest for the Dead
  • One Grave Less (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #9)
  • Edge
Kathy Reichs is a forensic anthropologist for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, State of North Carolina, and for the Laboratoire des Sciences Judiciaires et de Médecine Légale for the province of Quebec. She is one of only fifty forensic anthropologists certified by the American Board of Forensic Anthropology and is on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences. A ...more
More about Kathy Reichs...

Temperance Brennan (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1)
  • Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2)
  • Deadly Decisions (Temperance Brennan, #3)
  • Fatal Voyage (Temperance Brennan, #4)
  • Grave Secrets (Temperance Brennan, #5)
  • Bare Bones (Temperance Brennan, #6)
  • Monday Mourning (Temperance Brennan, #7)
  • Cross Bones (Temperance Brennan, #8)
  • Break No Bones (Temperance Brennan, #9)
  • Bones to Ashes (Temperance Brennan, #10)