Start by marking “72 Hour Hold” as Want to Read:
72 Hour Hold

72 Hour Hold

Trina is eighteen and suffers from bi-polar disorder, making her paranoid, wild, and violent. Frightened by her own child, Keri searches for help, quickly learning that the mental health community can only offer her a seventy-two hour hold. After these three days Trina is off on her own again. Fed up with the bureaucracy and determined to save her daughter by any means ...more
Published July 11th 2006 by Anchor (first published June 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 72 Hour Hold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 72 Hour Hold

Start your review of 72 Hour Hold
Brooklyn Darkchild
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love well written family dramas
I hadn't gotten far into the book when I found myself checking the blurb.
Twice.
This is FICTION??? I asked myself repeatedly.
Cause I could swear this woman LIVED with me.
Later on I found out just how close Ms Moore Campbell's ties to bipolar disorder really were. The rumors were flying rampantly that this was based on her life with her daughter Mia Campbell, the UPN sitcom star who became far more "famous" for her crack-induced escapades.

No one knows how troubling it is to sit by helplessly
Mocha Girl
Oct 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Bebe Moore Campbell's latest novel, 72 Hour Hold, focuses on a
mother's frustration and desperation when dealing with a daughter suffering from mental illness. Earlier in the year, divorcee Kira Whitmore's beautiful daughter, Trina, was a high school senior and National Merit Scholar with a bright future ahead of her - starting with plans to study at Brown University in the fall. Then suddenly and unexpectedly, Trina changes and Kira innocently ignores a host of symptoms and warning signs.
Pearl
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
72 Hour Hold is the story of Keri's struggles with her bipolar daughter, Trina. This story to me was drawn out, I understand trying to get the reader engaged, but some parts of it seem to be rambling, repeating parts just got to be boring. Keri's doesn't want to accept that her daughter is ill, so she goes through an emotional rollercoaster ride, she goes through denial, fear, anger, and even to the point of doing something illegal to get help for Trina. Even at the end I still don't think Keri ...more
LATOYA JOVENA
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
They say you shouldn't start a book with a character thinking, 72 Hour Hold demonstrated why. I had to try really hard to submerge myself in this novel and in the end I was moved. This is a story about sickness and a mother's unconditional love for her child.

The only flaw was with the stereotypes. The may be trying to crush one black stereotype but she keeps the majority intact.
Winter Sophia Rose
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Compelling, Emotional, Riveting & Thought Provoking!!! An Outstanding Story!!!
Florinda
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is the final novel from noted contemporary African-American writer Bebe Moore Campbell, who passed away earlier this year. I've read a few of her other novels (Brothers and Sisters, Your Blues Ain't Like Mine), and got an excerpt from this one through Dearreader.com Book Club a few months ago.
Single mother and businesswoman Keri Whitmore is struggling with her teenage daughter Trina's recent diagnosis with bipolar disorder, which has wreaked havoc with her plans for college and the future.
Natasha
What a heart wrenching tale of dealing or at least trying to deal with a child with a mental disorder. I felt for Carrie and her strength and determination even when all odds were stacked against her. She took on a lot, which in turn made me wonder why if she fought so hard for her daughter's health would she fight so hard to hold onto the grudge with her rehabilitated mother. I guess we all have our deep rooted issues we need to resolve. Trina was a handful, battling this mental disorder, ...more
Jaime Brown
When this book was chosen by my book club in 2010, I skipped the meeting. I tend to lean toward happier subjects, or fantastical subjects. Then, I joined Audible and kept seeing the title pop up in my browsing.

I'm not sure that this would have held my interest had I read it. The narrator performed her role, as opposed to simply reading the words. Her accents were awful but the depth of the main character made up the difference. I found myself sad when I had to take my earbuds off each day.

Lulu
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bebe Moore Campbell wrote the novel 72 Hour Hold based on her experiences trying to support her daughter..... let that sink in. I’m sure this is as a very difficult story to write. As a mother your instinct is to care for and protect, there were times when Keri could do neither for Trina....but Keri never gave up on her daughter. Very touching and revealing story about dealing with loved ones and mental illness.
Ashley
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: black-fiction
I was really excited to read this book. I was hoping that a book about a Black child with mental health issues and the struggles the parent goes through would really resonate with me. I was wrong. I found it to be VERY slow for about the first 75% of the book and then the last 25% ended too quickly. There were moments where I really wanted to know what happened next but for the most part I was kind of bored. To be honest, I don't know if I'll read another book by this author.
Susan
Jan 17, 2011 rated it liked it
A rough story. Campbell is a very good writer who can draw you into a story and make you feel it, even when the setting is outside your experience. This story is scary and sad, but inspiring. A mother's determination to help her child trumps all.
Marilyn Diamond
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
We need to promote mental health issues more and sadly this was an accurate account of Campbell's life before her timely life..
K.
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
It seemed promising in the beginning but went way off track in the middle. The story totally went into a ditch by the end of the book.
Rebecca Jones
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Like peeking into a world i have yet to see
Nakesha Brown
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was exhausting. It was such a good story but I was so exhausted by the end just from the ups and downs and emotional rollercoaster. Books like this are very important especially in the black community where mental illness is rarely discussed. Very good!
Bonnie G.
May 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: family-drama
This book is a very thinly fictionalized account of dealing with a child who, in her late teens, is stricken with bi-polar disease. The late Bebe Moore Campbell's own daughter, Maia Campbell suffers with the illness. She was arrested earlier this year in the Atlanta area for disorderly behavior consistent with manic depression and with drug use. I chose to read the book this month as a memorial of sorts to one of my dearest friends who died 5 years ago of systemic illnesses which grew out of his ...more
Amira
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Introduction
In Bebe Moore Campbells novel “72 Hour Hold” was an astonishing novel that showcases unconditional love regarding mental illness. The author Bebe Moore Campbell is an American author, journalist and teacher. Campbell was the author of several bestselling New York Times novels. Campbell took an interest in mental health and co-founded a chapter in The National Alliance for the Medically ill. Throughout her life she provided education and awareness on the issue on mental illness and
Paul
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bookmarks Magazine

72 Hour Hold takes the reader on a harrowing journey into mental illness through the eyes of a mother whose idyllic life shatters as her daughter descends into bipolar disorder. The book is grim yet riveting, occasionally painful to read but impossible to put down. Campbell, a bestselling novelist, writes from experience__a member of her own family suffers from a mental illness, and she helped form a support group in Los Angeles. African-Americans suffer most acutely from mental illness, in part

Jessica
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-fiction
This book really helps give a picture of the realities that come with those suffering from bi polar disorder.

I was not too big on Campbell incorporating the problem of race into this book. Although it needs to be acknowledged that the difficulties of a single, African-American woman, taking care of a daughter with bi-polar disorder are great, the issue of race within the plot takes away from the real problems.

The bottom line is that in today's society, people who have mental illnesses are not
Khyrra
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good story!!!
OMG, there is sooooo much I could say about this book. It's an emotional roller coaster from the beginning to the very last page. God rest her beautiful soul, but Bebe Moore Campbell wrote this sad, but intriguing story of a mother fighting to save her child who is diagnosed with bipolar disorder. This is a must read for anyone who enjoys her writing.

It will make you laugh at the things she cannot change, cry along with her during the setbacks, & rejoice in the positive steps her daughter
Harley
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, fiction, read-2011
This powerful novel is the story of a mother who trying to cope with the mental illness of her eighteen year old daughter who is diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. The mother's story will touch of the heart of every parent who loves her child. Any person who has family members who have been diagnosed with mental illness will see themselves in this realistic portrayal of the truth. I highly recommend this book to any parent.
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: type-ebook, 2017
Because the overall reviews for this book were so positive, I was honestly expecting more. It was a good book, but not as life-changing as I was expecting it to be. Maybe a case of expectations that were too high...
SunnyD
Jun 14, 2007 rated it it was ok
i wonder how much of this was BMC's real-life experience with her bipolar actress daughter, maia? the book was okay...not as good as i expected it to be. but i'm still a fan of the late BMC and it certainly was an eye-opening/heart-breaking read.
Julie
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great novel about a mother's response to her adult daughter's mental illness. Explores the depths of a mother's love and the lengths a mother will go to to protect or save her child. Excellent! I hope to read more books by this author.
Heather Martin
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I learned about bi-polar disorder without feeling like I was learning about bi-polar disorder. And the concept of an underground railroad for alternative treatment of it is fascinating.
Gretta
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I can't imagine any thing worse than watching your grown child self-destruct over and over and be powerless to do anything to help.
Mandy
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, sob-stories
I am so conflicted on how I feel about this book.

On the very first page, from the writing style alone, I almost put it down and crossed it off my to be read list for good. Because of the subject matter though, I gave it another shot. I will say that it got easier, began to flow more naturally, and it kept the story moving along more fast-paced, but I never really got comfortable with it.

I like this book because it's doing so many amazing things. Not only is it about bipolar disorder and the
McKenna
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I am no book-reviewer by any means, but I would like to mention a few things about this book.

I will start out by saying that overall I recommend this book and I think that it is an interesting read. If you have any interest in mental illness and their effects on loved ones, I would give this a read.

The beginning of this book is really gripping, and unfortunately the momentum doesn't carry through the book. Later in the book, the vision falls a little flat. The focus on the book is primarily on
Crystal
I read this book anxiously the first half. First because I wondered if it'd be another story where the magical parent/psychiatrist/treatment program saves the day. Then because Keri's trip with Trina, her daughter cycling in and out of psychiatric hospitals, for the miracle cure seemed the stuff of nightmares and something that could easily veer into someone dying or being incarcerated for fruitless search in the hope of ensuring capitalism's version of success, the American dream.

Then they do

• And They Called It Camelot: A Novel of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
  • I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive
  • The Sopranos Sessions
  • Outside Looking In
Bebe Moore Campbell (February 18, 1950 – November 27, 2006), was the author of three New York Times bestsellers, Brothers and Sisters, Singing in the Comeback Choir, and What You Owe Me, which was also a Los Angeles Times "Best Book of 2001". Her other works include the novel Your Blues Ain't Like Mine, which was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year and the winner of the NAACP Image Award for ...more
“A child's death isn't always necessary for a mother to grieve.” 1 likes