Start by marking “72 Hour Hold” as Want to Read:
72 Hour Hold

72 Hour Hold

Trina is eighteen and suffers from bi-polar disorder, making her paranoid, wild, and violent. Frightened by her own child, Keri searches for help, quickly learning that the mental health community can only offer her a seventy-two hour hold. After these three days Trina is off on her own again. Fed up with the bureaucracy and determined to save her daughter by any means nec ...more
Published July 11th 2006 by Anchor (first published June 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 72 Hour Hold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 72 Hour Hold

Brooklyn Darkchild
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love well written family dramas
I hadn't gotten far into the book when I found myself checking the blurb.
Twice.
This is FICTION??? I asked myself repeatedly.
Cause I could swear this woman LIVED with me.
Later on I found out just how close Ms Moore Campbell's ties to bipolar disorder really were. The rumors were flying rampantly that this was based on her life with her daughter Mia Campbell, the UPN sitcom star who became far more "famous" for her crack-induced escapades.

No one knows how troubling it is to sit by helplessly whi
Mocha Girl
Oct 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Bebe Moore Campbell's latest novel, 72 Hour Hold, focuses on a
mother's frustration and desperation when dealing with a daughter suffering from mental illness. Earlier in the year, divorcee Kira Whitmore's beautiful daughter, Trina, was a high school senior and National Merit Scholar with a bright future ahead of her - starting with plans to study at Brown University in the fall. Then suddenly and unexpectedly, Trina changes and Kira innocently ignores a host of symptoms and warning signs. Trina
Pearl
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
72 Hour Hold is the story of Keri's struggles with her bipolar daughter, Trina. This story to me was drawn out, I understand trying to get the reader engaged, but some parts of it seem to be rambling, repeating parts just got to be boring. Keri's doesn't want to accept that her daughter is ill, so she goes through an emotional rollercoaster ride, she goes through denial, fear, anger, and even to the point of doing something illegal to get help for Trina. Even at the end I still don't think Keri ...more
LATOYA JOVENA
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
They say you shouldn't start a book with a character thinking, 72 Hour Hold demonstrated why. I had to try really hard to submerge myself in this novel and in the end I was moved. This is a story about sickness and a mother's unconditional love for her child.

The only flaw was with the stereotypes. The may be trying to crush one black stereotype but she keeps the majority intact.
Winter Sophia Rose
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Compelling, Emotional, Riveting & Thought Provoking!!! An Outstanding Story!!!
Florinda
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is the final novel from noted contemporary African-American writer Bebe Moore Campbell, who passed away earlier this year. I've read a few of her other novels (Brothers and Sisters, Your Blues Ain't Like Mine), and got an excerpt from this one through Dearreader.com Book Club a few months ago.
Single mother and businesswoman Keri Whitmore is struggling with her teenage daughter Trina's recent diagnosis with bipolar disorder, which has wreaked havoc with her plans for college and the future.
Jaime Brown
When this book was chosen by my book club in 2010, I skipped the meeting. I tend to lean toward happier subjects, or fantastical subjects. Then, I joined Audible and kept seeing the title pop up in my browsing.

I'm not sure that this would have held my interest had I read it. The narrator performed her role, as opposed to simply reading the words. Her accents were awful but the depth of the main character made up the difference. I found myself sad when I had to take my earbuds off each day.

Ashley
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: black-fiction
I was really excited to read this book. I was hoping that a book about a Black child with mental health issues and the struggles the parent goes through would really resonate with me. I was wrong. I found it to be VERY slow for about the first 75% of the book and then the last 25% ended too quickly. There were moments where I really wanted to know what happened next but for the most part I was kind of bored. To be honest, I don't know if I'll read another book by this author.
Lulu
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bebe Moore Campbell wrote the novel 72 Hour Hold based on her experiences trying to support her daughter..... let that sink in. I’m sure this is as a very difficult story to write. As a mother your instinct is to care for and protect, there were times when Keri could do neither for Trina....but Keri never gave up on her daughter. Very touching and revealing story about dealing with loved ones and mental illness.
Susan
Jan 17, 2011 rated it liked it
A rough story. Campbell is a very good writer who can draw you into a story and make you feel it, even when the setting is outside your experience. This story is scary and sad, but inspiring. A mother's determination to help her child trumps all.
K.
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
It seemed promising in the beginning but went way off track in the middle. The story totally went into a ditch by the end of the book.
Bonnie
May 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: family-drama
This book is a very thinly fictionalized account of dealing with a child who, in her late teens, is stricken with bi-polar disease. The late Bebe Moore Campbell's own daughter, Maia Campbell suffers with the illness. She was arrested earlier this year in the Atlanta area for disorderly behavior consistent with manic depression and with drug use. I chose to read the book this month as a memorial of sorts to one of my dearest friends who died 5 years ago of systemic illnesses which grew out of his ...more
Bookmarks Magazine

72 Hour Hold takes the reader on a harrowing journey into mental illness through the eyes of a mother whose idyllic life shatters as her daughter descends into bipolar disorder. The book is grim yet riveting, occasionally painful to read but impossible to put down. Campbell, a bestselling novelist, writes from experience__a member of her own family suffers from a mental illness, and she helped form a support group in Los Angeles. African-Americans suffer most acutely from mental illness, in part

Jessica
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-fiction
This book really helps give a picture of the realities that come with those suffering from bi polar disorder.

I was not too big on Campbell incorporating the problem of race into this book. Although it needs to be acknowledged that the difficulties of a single, African-American woman, taking care of a daughter with bi-polar disorder are great, the issue of race within the plot takes away from the real problems.

The bottom line is that in today's society, people who have mental illnesses are not
Natasha
What a heart wrenching tale of dealing or at least trying to deal with a child with a mental disorder. I felt for Carrie and her strength and determination even when all odds were stacked against her. She took on a lot, which in turn made me wonder why if she fought so hard for her daughter's health would she fight so hard to hold onto the grudge with her rehabilitated mother. I guess we all have our deep rooted issues we need to resolve. Trina was a handful, battling this mental disorder, tryin ...more
Khyrra
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good story!!!
OMG, there is sooooo much I could say about this book. It's an emotional roller coaster from the beginning to the very last page. God rest her beautiful soul, but Bebe Moore Campbell wrote this sad, but intriguing story of a mother fighting to save her child who is diagnosed with bipolar disorder. This is a must read for anyone who enjoys her writing.

It will make you laugh at the things she cannot change, cry along with her during the setbacks, & rejoice in the positive steps her daughter t
Harley
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, read-2011, audio
This powerful novel is the story of a mother who trying to cope with the mental illness of her eighteen year old daughter who is diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. The mother's story will touch of the heart of every parent who loves her child. Any person who has family members who have been diagnosed with mental illness will see themselves in this realistic portrayal of the truth. I highly recommend this book to any parent.
Julie
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great novel about a mother's response to her adult daughter's mental illness. Explores the depths of a mother's love and the lengths a mother will go to to protect or save her child. Excellent! I hope to read more books by this author.
Heather Martin
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I learned about bi-polar disorder without feeling like I was learning about bi-polar disorder. And the concept of an underground railroad for alternative treatment of it is fascinating.
Rebecca Jones
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Like peeking into a world i have yet to see
Gretta
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I can't imagine any thing worse than watching your grown child self-destruct over and over and be powerless to do anything to help.
Marilyn Diamond
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
We need to promote mental health issues more and sadly this was an accurate account of Campbell's life before her timely life..
Mandy
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, sob-stories
I am so conflicted on how I feel about this book.

On the very first page, from the writing style alone, I almost put it down and crossed it off my to be read list for good. Because of the subject matter though, I gave it another shot. I will say that it got easier, began to flow more naturally, and it kept the story moving along more fast-paced, but I never really got comfortable with it.

I like this book because it's doing so many amazing things. Not only is it about bipolar disorder and the con
McKenna
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I am no book-reviewer by any means, but I would like to mention a few things about this book.

I will start out by saying that overall I recommend this book and I think that it is an interesting read. If you have any interest in mental illness and their effects on loved ones, I would give this a read.

The beginning of this book is really gripping, and unfortunately the momentum doesn't carry through the book. Later in the book, the vision falls a little flat. The focus on the book is primarily on
Catherine Munson
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mental-illness
I found this book to be an accurate depiction of a mother's struggle to get appropriate treatment for her barely adult daughter. Having worked as a psychiatrist (now retired) for 25 years, I have treated many patients whose families have gone through similar journeys. In all cases, however things end, it is the patients and their families and friends, who manage to stand by them, who are the heroes and heroines of the journey.

Yes, there are parts of the journey which are tedious, boring and re
Linda Sullivan
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Although I didn't particularly enjoy this book, the story of a mother dealing with her 18 year old daughter suffering from mental illness (bipolar) was an important read. It's a harrowing tale of mental illness and how it frequently goes hand in hand with drug abuse. It also highlights the failings of our society to help these people and their families. Supporting a mentally ill family member takes great strength and determination, and some were compelled to abandon their support for their own p ...more
Monalisa Watkins
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel was beyond excellent. Ms. Campbell wrote eloquently and accurately about an often overlooked or stigmatized world - Black folks and mental health. She wrote in-depth about the frustration of not necessarily knowing immediately what is happening to a loved one. Conducting research, getting medical information and working with medical facilities to address the challenge. It can be a daunting process but we try to do the best we can for folks we love, especially if it's a child that need ...more
Sue-Lynn Voigt
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Although not the best written novel, everyone should read this book. It really does give the battle that loved ones go through while caring for those with mental disorders. The frustration and the red tape. I wish people would read this and other books before opining on mental health. We really do need to have a serious discussion about mental health in America, where RX use is the highest and suicide among of Vets average 30 a day.
Cynthia
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bebe Moore Campbell's 72 Hour Hold puts a deeper spin on the age old mantra "that's my child". Faced with her daughter’s bipolar disorder while making every possible effort in getting said daughter treatment through a horrifying inept mental health care system.

Told in the POV of the principal character, Keri Whitmore, a loving mother desperate to help her daughter, Trina. Keri is grieving the loss of her relationship with Trina as she knew it and Trina’s future as she had hoped it to be. We are
kimberly davis
A look inside

The author paints a vivid picture of what it is like to deal with a mentally ill loved one. Towards the middle it drags a bit but the story did a good job of pointing out the flaws of the system in regards to having a mentally ill person supervised.
  • Baby Brother's Blues (West End, #3)
  • Better Than I Know Myself
  • Nappily Married (Nappily, #3)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • Can't Get Enough
  • Pecking Order
  • You Know Better
  • Lost Daughters
  • One in a Million
  • Rosie's Curl And Weave
  • I Know I've Been Changed
  • Shades of Jade (Strivers Row)
  • One Day I Saw a Black King
  • Meeting of the Waters
  • Leaving Cecil Street
  • This Bitter Earth (Sugar Lacey, #2)
  • Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do
Bebe Moore Campbell (February 18, 1950 – November 27, 2006), was the author of three New York Times bestsellers, Brothers and Sisters, Singing in the Comeback Choir, and What You Owe Me, which was also a Los Angeles Times "Best Book of 2001". Her other works include the novel Your Blues Ain't Like Mine, which was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year and the winner of the NAACP Image Award for ...more
“A child's death isn't always necessary for a mother to grieve.” 1 likes