Start by marking “The Wreckage” as Want to Read:
The Wreckage

The Wreckage (Joseph O'Loughlin #5)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  2,194 Ratings  ·  251 Reviews
Baghdad

Journalist Luca Terracini is living outside the wire and investigating a series of deadly bank robberies involving tens of millions of dollars. But in his pursuit of the truth, he's about to get in the way of clandestine agents and powerful nations who seek to bury secrets and manipulate the truth, regardless of the cost.

London

A thousand miles away, ex-cop Vincent R
Published January 2012 by Sphere (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Wreckage, please sign up.

Dave Gibson I think it's because, from a selling point of view, Robotham has made his name through O'Loughlin. He is the better known character therefore the…moreI think it's because, from a selling point of view, Robotham has made his name through O'Loughlin. He is the better known character therefore the publisher would want to ride this to the nth degree. It is a Ruiz novel and he is a fine character. Simplistic, but I believe that would be the case. Hill without D & P; Dexter without Morse; Mankell without Wallander, etc ... Cheers Dave.(less)

Brenda
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading the Joe O'Loughlin series in order and really enjoying them. This one was a bit of a let down. First, it starts out in Baghdad and that gave me some initial reservations. Second, it features Ruiz more than O'Loughlin, which is fine, but even Ruiz isn't the most prominent character in this book. And third, the storyline of Iraqi bank robberies with an Iraqi American journalist and a United Nations representative who follow the money wasn't very interesting to me.

This was a compl
Phrynne
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
This one starts slowly and a little confusingly as two very different story lines run parallel, one in London and the other in Baghdad. As the book progresses though both stories start to heat up and eventually they come together in a very well planned finale.
There are many strong and likable characters. Joe is there in a minor role. Ruiz is back as a retired cop. And then there are Luca and Elizabeth and of course Holly. I enjoyed all of them.
The book is action packed, particularly the war scen
David Staniforth
Bit of a slow starter this one, probably due to there being two apparently separate stories that are building at the same time. Gradually these two threads begin to entwine, however, resulting in a strong bond that just refused to let go (of this reader at least) and led to an exciting and tense conclusion.

Great writing, great characters and great plot lines. Loving Robotham's series.
Karen Brooks
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a complaint to make about Michael Robotham’s books, or rather, the effect they’re having on me – they have turned me into an insomniac. From the moment I pick up one of his novels until I turn the last page, I am unable to sleep. Last night, The Wreckage, proved to be no exception and, as a consequence, I feel the book’s title now applies to me ☺
Seriously, last year, I spent a couple of weeks reading everything of Robotham’s I could get my hands on and loved every story, character, plot a
Wanda
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy Lee Child's Jack Reacher series
I picked up this novel because it is the July 2015 choice of my book club. I was dreading it, having read the dust jacket and thinking that it was really not my thing. Once again, I am grateful that my book club compatriots have stretched my reading comfort zone.

Having said that, it still really wasn’t my cuppa tea, but that doesn’t mean that I didn’t get pulled along for the adventure. Just like the Jack Reacher novel that we read last year for book club, it’s hard to resist finishing the book
Brenda
With Luca Terracini investigating a series of bank robberies involving tens of millions of US dollars throughout Baghdad, he didn’t realize the closer he came to uncovering the secrets the more danger he would find himself in. As a foreign correspondent he found he could go places others couldn’t but when he met auditor Daniela Garner their lives became entangled; suddenly danger through sources he had thought he could trust surrounded them. Always his motto had been to follow the money – would ...more
Daniel
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Within a short number of pages, I was wrapped up in "The Wreckage." Robotham puts together a multifaceted mystery that involves Iraq, the US and British governments, terrorist networks, major banking institutions, and various competing interests from a sizable cast of characters. The protagonists are honest and earnest folk who suffer the nay-say of skeptics and the punches of opponents, and the villains are made from the same clay--just with heavy doses of greed and cruelty thrown in to make th ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Based in part on true events, The Wreckage is a taut thriller that spans two countries and exposes the twisted threads that link international terrorism and the global financial crisis.
In a series of short chapters, Robotham alternates between the seemingly unconnected stories of retired detective, Vincent Ruiz chasing thief Holly Knight, Luca Tarracini's investigation into a series of robberies in Iraq, and Elizabeth North's frantic search for her missing banker husband.
Ruiz falls for a con a
Jodi
A retired cop, a young grifter, a heavily pregnant society wife and a half-Iraqi financial reporter. They shouldn't have anything in common but they do. A notebook. The grifter stole it. She also stole from the cop. The wife's husband is missing and there are pictures of him with the man who killed the grifter, Holly's, boyfriend, searching for the notebook. The financial reporter can translate the notebook. Did I mention that the wife, Elizabeth's, husband, is the chief compliance officer for t ...more
Beth
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Michael Robotham writes thrillers/mysteries that grab the readers attention from the first sentence. The stories are complex, the conclusions satisfying. What sets Robotham apart are his characters. In the first book, SUSPECT, the author introduces Joseph O’Loughlin, a psychologist, happily married man, and devoted father. The protagonist of LOST is Detective Inspector Vincent Ruiz who played a minor role in the first book. THE NIGHT FERRY focuses on a character in a previous book and offers the
Randi Reisfeld
I like this author; his main characters, a shrink whose Parkinsons disease progresses through each book, and his co-hort in crime solving, an over-the-hill, ex-detective, are resourceful, witty and play off each other well. The setting for the series is mainly London, but The Wreckage volleys between there and Iraq (Bagdad). The action is kicked off by an intrepid, fearless war reporter, the woman accountant he meets, an extremely screwed up, if intrepid girl scam artist, and a wealthy, lovely s ...more
Andy
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is like the Law & Order TV show where they would turn something from the news (HSBC laundering money for terrorists) into a murder. Unfortunately, the author here adds on multiple other complex plot-layers as well as characters who are either uninteresting or not believable. On the other hand, it's relatively well-written and dealing with important stuff.
Josh
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, crime, read_2012
Detective Inspector Vincent Ruiz takes centre stage in this high octane cross continent thriller. Shady bankers and terrorist extremists fall into Ruiz’s lap when two seemingly unrelated events collide. From protagonists Ruiz in London to Luca in Baghdad, all roads lead to an accountant (Daniela) sent to Iraq to audit against the perceived bookkeeping issues who uncovers a gross misspend that sets a series of violent events in motion.

An innocent bystander, Elizabeth sees her life crumble at the
Larry
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robotham creates three story lines. One story line involves an Iraqui-American journalist named Luba Terracini who has lived outside the Green Zone for three years, thus defying deadly odds in his pursuit of significant stories. One of those stories involves the robbery of 18 banks that held American reconstruction money. (The robberies have been incredibly violent. The most recent one killed at least seven people. It is clear that the Iraqui government is not sufficiently aroused to pursue the ...more
Amanda Patterson
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Robotham's writing style. He understands the value of short sentences, lots of dialogue and beautiful white space on the right hand side of the page. And he understands that this suits the genre of political thriller writing.
I would have found it difficult to be critical of this novel after meeting the author less than a month ago. He was a lovely, inspiring man, and I was grateful that his novel was really good.
Written in present tense, based on true stories from Iraq and London, and cle
David
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very well written thriller by Michael Robotham. It cleverly mixes fact and fiction as a gargantuan money trail makes it way from war-torn Iraq into the hands of the ne'er-do-wells. The main protagonist is ex-policeman, three times married and three times divorced, Victor Ruiz. He reminds me a little of TV's Columbo - shabby, underestimated, but ultimately smart as a whip.
Again he teams up with Forensic Psychologist Professor Joe O'Laughlin, as they work their way towards the top of a sq
Donna
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery

I like this author. He writes great stories with great characters. I also love his writing. He gets to the point in a few words that manages to convey so much more than what is going on at that moment.

The plot in this book seemed a little more intricate. It toggled around with 3 different story lines going on, but they progressively got closer and closer before they finally merged. It was very well done. Michael Robotham can definitely keep the plot moving in the right direction. His t
Victor Eustáquio
Great disappointment. In my opinion, the failed novel of Robotham. After 10 amazing books.
I'm still a big fan. And look forward to read the upcoming
Johnny
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Post-Thoughts:
I completed this book in a sporadic time frame and that was not a great idea. One thing that didn't help is the extensive amount of characters. I would quickly skim the previous chapters just to get back on track, but that was difficult considering all the different accounts and perspectives of the characters. There were 3 main story lines and what seems like 10 minor ones. One minute I'll be reading about Luca searching in the unruly harsh environment tracking the dissipated mon
Karen
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't tell you how pleased I was to finally get to read THE WRECKAGE. I've been a fan of this series since it's inception, with only one minor disappointment in the last book which headed off into shock tactics a little too overtly for my liking. THE WRECKAGE, however, is a terrific thriller, with a complex and masterfully executed plot and a sense of pace and tension that is nicely balanced with a bit of romance and some family secrets.

It probably doesn't hurt that the action centres around V
Jean
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fabulous
Being one of Michael Robotham's biggest fan makes it difficult for me to give him fewer than five stars , I feel as if I am emotionally involved with his characters. Having said that, The Wreckage is not his best in my opinion - still, it is difficult to find fault with his story - telling prowess.
Based on true events, the story follows three main threads - Luca Terracini, a foreign correspondent in Iraq; in London ex-cop Vincent Ruiz - victim of a set-up and Elizabeth North - wife of a missing
Paige Turner
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The wreckage is the latest book by talented Australian author, Michael Robotham. I reviewed his second book Lost in 2007 and liked his writing so much that I have read every one of his thrillers since.

This story features one of Robotham’s favourite characters ex- Detective Inspector Vincent Ruiz who finds himself the victim of a robbery after rescuing a young woman from her violent boyfriend. The only problem was, the whole thing was a set-up and Ruiz finds himself trying to track down the woman
Lizzie Hayes
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘The Wreckage’ by Michael Robotham
Published by Sphere, June 2011. ISBN:

Luca Terracini, is a British journalist currently living in Iraq outside the wire, and investigating a series of bank robberies – eighteen at last count, and the amount involved is millions of dollars – who is doing it, and how are they getting away with it?

In London ex-cop Vincent Ruiz goes to the aid of a young woman in a bar, but helping her he ends up robbed, taken in by an elaborate scam. He needs to get back something
Connie
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Michael Robotham by accident, and became an instant fan. The Wreckage takes on a grander scale than his mostly London-based previous novels. While I didn't like it quite as much as Lost and Shatter, I zipped right through this one, intrigued by the many converging storylines and perspectives. Robotham introduces likable new characters -- most notably Luca Terazzini -- while bringing his two most reliable characters, Vincent Ruiz and Joe O'Laughlin. I've always appreciated Robotham's ...more
Buck Weiss
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never read Robotham before. I honestly picked up The Wreckage simply because it is a Muholland book and I have never been this excited by a publisher.

Robotham did not disappoint. This book is epic and covers the scope very well. He guides the reader through an intricate plot that spans continents and makes us feel as though we have intimate knowledge of the characters involved.

This is a killer read and I highly recommend it. I'm excited to move back into Robotham's back catalog.
Miriam
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that literally has it all: from an international bank heist, to a missing banker, to a love story.

This book is awesome and I'm just going to come right out and say that I am a tiny bit in love with Luca Terracini, the journalist who is one of the main characters of this book. (So I like a guy who lives on the edge, what can I say?)

I don't want to say much more, but I can't wait to share this one with you.
Teryl
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Marta
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-mysteries
Another interesting mystery/thriller from this author that makes you wonder if you really know another person.
Sue
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Robotham thriller. Usual suspects and adventure roaring along. Love it.
Greg
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and good to read, but a little slow to get going.
  • Todesfrist (Maarten S. Sneijder, #1)
  • Good As Dead (Tom Thorne, #10)
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
  • Wyatt (Wyatt, #7)
  • The Queen of Patpong
  • A Good Day to Die (Dennis Milne, #2)
  • Skin and Bones
  • Der Sarg
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • Beams Falling
  • Die Blutschule
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #10)
  • The Cold Cold Ground (Detective Sean Duffy, #1)
  • Das Joshua-Profil
  • A Simple Act Of Violence
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Der Federmann
  • The Mistake
Edgar finalist and Gold Dagger winning author, Michael Robotham was born in Australia in November 1960 and grew up in small country towns that had more dogs than people and more flies than dogs. He escaped in 1979 and became a cadet journalist on an afternoon newspaper in Sydney.

For the next fourteen years he worked for newspapers in Australia, Europe, Africa and America. As a senior feature write
More about Michael Robotham...

Joseph O'Loughlin (8 books)
  • Suspect (Joseph O'Loughlin, #1)
  • Lost (Joseph O'Loughlin #2)
  • Shatter (Joseph O'Loughlin, #3)
  • Bleed for Me (Joseph O'Loughlin #4)
  • Say You're Sorry (Joseph O'Loughlin #6)
  • Watching You (Joseph O'Loughlin, #7)
  • Close Your Eyes (Joseph O'Loughlin, #8)

“Here you can shoot the bad guys,' a mercenary says in Baghdad. 'In America we give them corporate bonuses.” 4 likes