Start by marking “A Fortunate Grandchild” as Want to Read:
A Fortunate Grandchild

A Fortunate Grandchild

(Miss Read Memoirs #1)

The first of two memoirs by Dora Saint, known as Miss Read
Published January 1st 1994 by X-S Books (first published September 1982)

To ask other readers questions about A Fortunate Grandchild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fortunate Grandchild

Start your review of A Fortunate Grandchild
Robin_R
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lovely little book remembering two special grandmothers.
Summer
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A look into Miss Read’s childhood and her memories of her grandparents. It was honest with memories she held and the sight of an adult looking back on weaknesses and strengths of each. Gracefully written. It makes me want to write about my memories of my grandparents.
Joyce
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Reading a digital copy on Archive.org - personal account of her extended family growing up, her mother's mother's children so far. Full of illustrations, words and pictures.

Mere 151 pages, it is a lovely read describing visits to both sets of grandparents, with the emphasis on the grandmothers, both of whom she enjoyed and loved. This edition also includes Time Remembered. I will read that later as I have requested to borrow a hard copy from the library.

Reading this is much the same as reading
Debbie Young
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Utterly delightful short memoir based on her memories of her grandparents around the time of the First World War, with charming line-drawing illustrations helping to recreate the spirit of the age. Her childhood full of interesting adults who loved her in their different ways helps explain why Miss Read grew into such an interesting and kindly writer about well-observed characters.I think I've read all of her other books, so was very pleased to come across a secondhand copy of this one by chance ...more
Susan
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short little memoir of Miss Read's (Dora Saint) grandparents. She tells a little of their history, and anecdotes of times when she lived or visited with them. Charming little read, like all Miss Read books!
It is normally a one-sitting read, but I was picking it up off and on between other books, so it took a while.
Sarah Crawford
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book about Miss Read's early life and about her grandmother who had twelve kids. It also looks at some of the other people in her early life. There's lots of black-and-white illustrations in this peaceful and very nice book.
Sara
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This brief memoir focuses on the people and places of the author's early childhood. Many little insights as to how these early experiences shaped the content and style of Miss Read's writing. Very enjoyable!
Avis Black
Jan 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was hoping this book would be more interesting than her novels, but no, it's not. Miss Read has a rare gift for being a bore.
Kelly
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was fun to read a bit more about one of my favorite authors, and to see more of the mind behind the novels.

Very nicely illustrated.
Shannon
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was surprised that I didn't enjoy this reminiscence more than I did. I am a big fan of the "Miss Read" books and have tried to read all of them, although I may have missed one here or there. However, this book of personal remembrances of Miss Read's own childhood, while no doubt scrupulously accurate, was not full of the delightful insights and quirks that make the Fairacre, Thrush Green, etc. books so charming. It was a bit humdrum.
It did ,though, give me pause to wonder what memories and
Ellen
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Even though this is just a bit more than a short story, it is a wonderful memoir of Miss Read's childhood. I loved the stories of her grandparents and the visits to her father's parents home on the east coast of England. The illustrations were beautiful and evocative of the pre-world war one period.
Priscilla Herrington
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Miss Read's remembrances of her early childhood and her family. Although known for writing about England's village schools, Miss Read was a London child until the age of seven, and in this book recalls a rather Victorian upbringing in which her grandmothers figure largely.
Norah
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Terence and Sue Brown
Recommended to Norah by: Rosalie Rimron
Borrowed this from someone I met randomly and we discovered we had some mutual friends from away back! She was taking old books to the dump, but had saved this one as she knew her mother liked it, but decided to give it to me instead, though I think she'd like it back!!
Jaime
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice read...
Michell Karnes
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read and loved all of the Miss Read books both fairacre and thrush green and thought they were fantastic! This book was equally great so, simple and good old days of a simpler time.
Grier
Oct 24, 2018
Zeta T.
Feb 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Story Girl (The Story Girl, #1)
  • Marilla of Green Gables
  • My Reading Life
  • Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Jane Austen Mysteries, #1)
  • Jane and the Man of the Cloth (Jane Austen Mysteries, #2)
  • Let It Snow
  • This Year It Will Be Different, and other stories
  • London Transports
  • Silver Wedding
  • The Glass Lake
  • Nine Pints: A Journey Through the Money, Medicine, and Mysteries of Blood
  • The Chick is in the Mail (Chicks in Chainmail, #4)
  • Did You Say Chicks?! (Chicks in Chainmail, #2)
  • Clash (Cal and Macy's Story, #1; Legal Affairs, #3)
  • Sisters of Summer's End (Summer Resort #2)
  • The Chick and the Dead: Tales of a Life in Death
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life: A Sortabiography
  • Monique and the Mango Rains: Two Years with a Midwife in Mali
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English

Miss Read Memoirs (3 books)
  • Time Remembered