Start by marking “The Covenant/The Betrayal/The Sacrifice/The Prodigal/The Revelation (Abram's Daughters, #1-5)” as Want to Read:

The Covenant/The Betrayal/The Sacrifice/The Prodigal/The Revelation (Abram's Daughters #1-5)

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  952 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
ABRAM'S DAUGHTERS introduces readers to an Old Order family, a close-knit community and a devout people whose way of life and faith in God is as timeless as their signature horse and buggy. Set against the backdrop of post-World War II, this compelling saga spans three generations of a Lancaster County Amish family. Abram Ebersol and his devoted wife are raising four court ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about The Covenant/The Betrayal/The Sacrifice/The Prodigal/The Revelation

Julie
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Julie by: Lisa
I read all five of these one right after the other. I couldn't put them down. My sister-in-law let me borrow them and at first I thought that being about Amish life they might be a little boring, but they were not at all. There was plenty of suspense combined with a good interesting insight into Amish culture.
Jason Bryan
Sep 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
OK, this may seem like an odd reading choice, but my wife got me to read it, and I loved it. Full of heart, emotion, mystery, love. I'm a grown man, and one part in this series had me shedding big crocodile tears.
Deana
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have not found one of these books I did not enjoy,I love reading about the amish and this series was one of my favorite.
Arlene S
Got these from mom ( except not last one in series called The Revelation, which may tie it all together). Light reading ( and perhaps somewhat predictable, or, is it just that the foreshadowing is not that subtle?). The series kept me mostly interested, but with the caveats to follow. It had a somewhat "stretched out" feeling-- to say, "let's make this story into a series" aspect, which had me wishing for a little more momentum in plotting. In fairness, this could have something to do with the f ...more
AngieA
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: series lovers
Recommended to AngieA by: Pat Faber
Shelves: romance
My Mom recommended this book series to me and my daughter gave me the boxed set for Christmas. I read them one after the other and enjoyed them very much. It was one of those things where you wish there was just a little more! Set in Amish country in post WWII Lancaster County, PA, we follow the daughters of Abram as they come of age, go courting and make decisions for their future. At times, fate intervenes and the choices are removed from their control. I have been interested in Amish culture ...more
Clara Roberts
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Lewis's writing style is too slow paced for me. She lacked description at certain pivotal points. I had to Google to learn some important information about the Amish practies and the meaning of Ordnung, Ausbund, etc. I could visualize many of the barn scenes as well other farm activies because I grew up doing farm chores. Those scenes, the women frolics and others need more descriptions. Example, the difference between a pony cart and a carriage would have been interesting. I think I know but I ...more
April
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This series was the first of many I've read about the Amish culture. I've since read more, watched documentaries and fictional movies, and made a trip to an Amish community. Such a different lifestyle, so hard to imagine how difficult it must be, as well as how fundamentally liberating. To not be tied to our tv's, cell phones, iPods, and, ah-hem, computers, must be very liberating. Yes, I understand the inconveniences and difficulties of not having those things, but to put our trust and faith on ...more
Lauren
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
The whole series is amazing. It has similar human struggles which you might find in any other drama--teenage rebellion, unplanned pregnancy, family secrets, star-crossed lovers, and personal sacrifices. I find the Amish lifestyle fascinating, and there are strong moral themes woven throughout the book and a wide cast of characters, some of whom stick to the straight-and-narrow and others who decide to stray. The characters are diverse and interesting; they battle at times with the stringent boun ...more
Dorry Lou
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
These books do hold your attention. I found this one very sad as it was exactly what it said "Betrayal" and not just 1 person but several. It continues on with Sadie & Leah and their family. There are 2 other younger sisters getting to dating age also. Leah has been in love with Jonas, a 2nd cousin from childhood and he is in love with her too. Her father Abram has wanted her to marry another person and has made it very clear. I learned lots about the Amish culture from these books. This boo ...more
Jodie
Aug 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this whole series since I am completely in awe of the Amish community. I admire them as a people, their beliefs, their structure in this world of un-structuredness (is that a word?), their love of family & God. I love driving through the Lancaster countryside and seeing their horse & buggies, the simple dresses & kapps, etc.

The girls in this book drew me in even more - Sadie, Leah, Mary Ruth and Hannah. And of course, Jonas. I couldn't put this book down or the ones
Mindy
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Rather than reviewing all the books one by one, I will just review all five of them. I really liked this series. It was interesting to jump into an Amish community and learn more about them. But then you add in the story of a family, with a few problems, and how they deal with them. How they protect each other and the ways their lives seperate and come together. It was really good. Couldn't read them fast enough. My only advice is check out all five at once.
Trisha
Mar 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this series. The books are really quick reads - book candy. I did like the story and the characters. I found this series to be very clean and uplifting. There were a couple of slow sections where I just skimmed, but overall I enjoyed them. I loved the character Leah. I have always been interested in and fascinated by the Amish culture, and I learned lots about it from reading these books.
Teresa Ruckman
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this saga. It gives a great look into the lives of the Amish characters. It has a great ending, I wish the books would continue to 15 instead of stopping at 5. The only aspect I didn't like was at times Mrs. Lewis was a bit too descriptive of the natural surroundings for my taste. I found myself too excited about the upcoming revelation to actually read how beautiful the fall leaves were. I highly recommend this series and I'm looking forward to reading her again.
Alicia
Dec 11, 2008 rated it liked it
These books are based on life in the Amish community. It was an interesting glimpse into how they live and think, but I was never too captivated by the story line. In fact, the 4th of the 5 books was not available at the library so I just skipped it but never felt like I missed too much. The writing and characters are interesting though.
Riann Koldewyn
Mar 17, 2008 rated it liked it
I read this series on a recommendation. It was very interesting reading about the Amish culture, customs and rules. The story good, but it took a really long time to tell it. I gave it only three stars because although I moderately enjoyed the series, I would not read it again...which is saying something for me!
Allison
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good series. A little hard to keep on reading till the end, mostly because I had to wait for them at the book store and/or Library to keep going. But it was very good. Had a *great* twist in the plot and some MYSTERY!

(Have you figured out that Beverly lewis is one of my favoirte authors yet? ;D)
Deborah Reed
Sep 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girls who love a good love story!
This is an AWSOME series. It is about an Amish family, and the trials of their daughters. I had a hard time getting into the book at first, but after the first few chapters, I couldn't put them down... I finishes the 5 book series in a week and a half. they really gave me insight to the Amish world, and was just fabulous!!
Beth Browne
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My friend recommended this, or I'd never have picked it up. She told me to take all five books, but I was so sure she was nuts (an Amish romance? Give me a break!) that I refused. She said I would regret it and she was right. I couldn't put it down and couldn't wait to get the rest of the books. They are wonderful!!
Barbara
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beverly-lewis
I love all of Beverly Lewis's Books. I have read almost all of them. She writes so well about the Amish. I learned the same from all her books and that is how the Amish live. She writes just like you are there. It has been a while since I read these books. I usually buy them right when they come out and I read them right away.
Theresa
Jul 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
While reading this series I called it my 'Amish trashy stash." It's a very quick read with a light and somewhat predictable storyline, but I REALLY REALLY liked reading it. I even drove three towns away to get book 4 because I couldn't wait for it to come through inter-library loan.
Beth
Mar 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this refreshing series of books, they are quick reads and are best read in order. They give a lot of insight into Amish life and the characters are believable, after finishing the series I was sad to say goodbye to the Ebersol family.
Jamie
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who sometimes feels like they could get lost in a world completly opposite from their own
Recommended to Jamie by: no one
i started reading this series in the begining of the year. The author wrote these books in such a way that they pulled you in and by the end I truly felt as if I knew the characters on a personal level. I will be reafing much more from this author!
Linda
Dec 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Series readers
I really liked this series and even if it was a space in time between the books when they came out, it didnt take long to get back into the story.
They were an easy read and gave you an interesting look into family, God and hardships of the Amish community.
Shelley
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read all 5 of these books in succession. It is a great look in to the life of an Amish family with a mystery interwined. I really enjoyed these books although I picked up volume 1 not realizing how much I would like them.
Michelle
Aug 27, 2009 rated it liked it
These books were recommended to me by a friend. I liked them. It as aptly described to me as an "Amish soap opera" and so it is. We read them for a November book club. Amish=harvest=November for me :). You can't stop at Book 1. Read to the end of 5 for the complete story.
Jan 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was the first series I read by Lewis. I was surprised at the element of scandal at first, but it really pointed out that anyone in any situation can sin and even more importantly, that forgiveness can help to heal the hurt that the sin created.
Marji
Oct 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
This whole series is really good. I found it at the library and really enjoyed reading about the Amish community and how they live and why the believe certain things. I have enjoyed all of Lewis' books.
Leesha
Apr 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
I started reading this series in April and didn't finish until December because I was reading different books inbetween. I thought they were very interesting and it was fun to learn more about the Amish community.
Kristen Thorley
Jul 21, 2010 added it
Shelves: own
The first of this author that I read, nice and slow paced but tags you along, Gives a nice insight into Amish life through the medium of an interesting story
Lindsey
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved. I am a tiny bit obsessed with reading about the Amish culture, and these books were so interesting. Love Beverly Lewis as well.
  • Daughters of Lancaster County (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1-3)
  • Sisters of the Quilt: The Complete Trilogy

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous best
More about Beverly Lewis

Abram's Daughters (5 books)
  • The Covenant (Abram's Daughters, #1)
  • The Betrayal (Abram's Daughters, #2)
  • The Sacrifice (Abram's Daughters, #3)
  • The Prodigal (Abram's Daughters, #4)
  • The Revelation (Abram's Daughters, #5)

Fiction Deals

• Ilsa: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Whisper Beach
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Isabella: Braveheart of France
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Queen of Swords (Wilderness, #5)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99