Start by marking “Postcards from Camp” as Want to Read:
Postcards from Camp

Postcards from Camp

The hilarious correspondence between a reluctant first-time camper and his dad

This fabulously creative book by Caldecott Award winner Simms Taback features handmade postcards and funny letters that readers will enjoy pulling out of their envelopes. Michael is new to sleepaway camp, and it's not going so well. He thinks his counselor is an alien, his bunkmates are prankster
40 pages
Published June 30th 2011 by Nancy Paulsen Books

To ask other readers questions about Postcards from Camp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Postcards from Camp

Barbara
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla
In the timeless fashion of those who can afford to do so, his family sends Michael Stevens off to camp. He is less than thrilled with the idea, and a fast-paced campaign to return home ensues with Michael and his father corresponding. (It's wonderful that it's Dad whose letters are included here and not Mom'.) I loved the idea of the book's design with postcards with original artwork on the front and messages on the back as well as envelopes with letters tucked inside. (As a sidenote, I once had ...more
Jairo Marquez
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book features a playful exchange of letters between a father and a son. The son (who is named Michael) initially complained to his father about summer camp. Harry, the father, wrote back to Michael and encouraged him to try to have fun. After this, Michael began to make friends and actually enjoyed being at camp. Harry and Michael continued to write to each other during the duration of summer camp. In the end, Michael is thankful he attended camp and got to know many new people.

The theme of
Two BookWorms Blog
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Taback takes the typical storyline of the anticipated terrible time at summer camp and puts a fresh twist on it by telling it through postcards between father and son. One of the things I really love about this book is the fact that some of the pages include an envelope and you pull the letter out, just like it was real mail.

For the full review: https://twobookwormsblog.wordpress.co...
MollyKate Mclaughlin
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews
Postcards from Camp is a story about a boy, Michael Stevens off to his first away camp. Michael does not want to go to camp, but his father insists that he go because he went when he was younger and absolutely loves it. Michael writes letters and postcards to his dad at home about what is going on at camp and his experiences. At first, the postcards tell stories about how terrible his bunkmates are and how much he hates camp, and his dad sends letters in response ignoring the negativity from his ...more
Taylor Melum
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tch-307
Citations: Taback, S. (2011). Postcards from camp. New York, N.Y. Nancy Paulsen Books.
Genre: Comedy
Format: Picture book
Reading level: 4
Theme/topic: Trying something new/ Going to camp
Gender: Male

Summary:
Postcards from camp is a unique and clever book of postcards sent between a father and son when the son was away at camp. At first the son seems apprehensive and he didn’t want to be at camp but his father kept encouraging him to try new things. The son tries to play tricks on his dad and he sen
Cassandra Kneblik
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary
After begrudgingly going to summer camp, Michael explicitly informs his father through a series of postcard he sends throughout the week. Through the quirky and exaggerated postcard illustrations and dialogue, we learn how Michael is force fed vegetables by his alien counselor and disliked by his bunkmates. However, despite the bad news, his father counters his negative experience with advice to help Michael survive the camp week. Will Michael have a turnaround in his currently dreadful camp wee ...more
Dana
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Winner of the 2013 Texas Bluebonnet Award
I was very eagar to read this picture book when I read that it won the Texas Bluebonnet Award. I was saddened to find out that Simms Taback had died and will not be able to accept this award voted on and presented by students. This book was like a biography of my experience at Camp El Tesoro (Camp Fire Girls)when I was nine years old.
Michael Stevens shares his first time camp experiences with his dad through postcards and letters. He is a very relectant c
Meggie
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Michael goes to sleep-away camp for the first time. The story follows the correspondence between himself and his father in a creative, interactive way. At first Michael seems to be having a miserable time but his father continues to reassure him and put a positive twist on his bad attitude. While Michael doesn't think he will have a good time; his dad turns out to be right and Michael is sad to leave at the end of the summer.

Theme: Homesickness, friendship, parent relationships

Classroom Activit
Caroline Green
Postcards From Camp is a story about a young boy's first experience at an overnight camp. He is hesitant to go but his father insists he goes because it was a great experience from his youth. Michael writes letters and postcards when he is away about all the experiences he has. The first few stories are about how terrible the bunkmates are and how much he hates camp. His dad writes letters back, ignoring the negativity from his son. Throughout the letters in the story, Michael's attitude of camp ...more
Colleen
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Postcards from Camp" is a story filled with postcards about a boys experience at an overnight camp. Each page is filled with postcards from the boy to his father. At first, the boy, Michael, writes postcards filled with the troubles of camp. He rants about the terrible bunkmates to his father. However, Michael's father continues to write back and encourages Michael to give camp a try. Eventually, Michael begins to like camp.

The theme is this book is to give everything a chance and be openminde
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The idea is simple: Michael doesn't want to go to camp, but since his father had such a fun time at camp as a kid, he's forcing Michael to go. Through postcards and letters, the reader sees Michael's experiences and his change in attitude towards camp.

While the idea may be normal, the presentation of the story is not. The writing is minimal (backs of postcards and a few letters), the colors are bright, and the drawings are detailed. Young readers will enjoy pulling out the letters from the envel
Miss Balzaretti
Taback shares the essence and spirit of summer camp in his book Postcards from Camp. The book is told through the exchange of postcards from father and son while. The postcards and letters are interactive and hilarious. Steven, the son, writes to his dad about how much he hates camp and his bunkmates as they’ve been picking on him. At one point Steven sends his dad a ransom note from his bunkmates demanding his father to come and get him. This book is not only entertaining, but tells a story in ...more
Angie
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 12-13-bluebonnet
Wow. How could I be the first one to be writing something? I wonder if there is another version I missed.

Anyway. This is an epistolary novel between a son and his dad. LOVED the artwork. Loved the postcards. Loved the letters. Loved the story. Pretty much loved the entire thing.

Two concerns, though, I'll admit. 1)The letters inside envelopes. These can be troublesome in a library. You're trying to check in a couple hundred books ... who has time to check each envelope and make sure the letter wa
Haley Nelson
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Postcards from Camp is a Texas Bluebonnet winner of 2013 and still is a common best seller. This children's book explains the story of a boy named Michael who goes off to camp and has a hard time adjusting. He sends many letters home begging his dad to come and take him home. His dad replies by telling him to tough it out and to make some friends because that's where he made some life-long friendships. Once Michael realizes this, he encounters some great friends and turns his attitude around. No ...more
Parker Lewis
Oct 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is about a boy named Michael who goes away to his first sleepover camp. At first he does not like the camp, in fact he despises it so much that he wants to go home. He writes to his dad saying how bad he wants to go home and how he does not like anyone at the camp. His dad reassures him that he should stay and try to meet some friends because that is where he met some of his life long friends. Does Micheal ever meet friends or is his whole sleepover camp trip a complete disaster?
A grea
Kelly
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
From Publisher's Weekly 5/16/2011

Using postcards and removable letters, Taback depicts a boy's first time at sleep-away camp through correspondence with his father, Harry. It's easy to see where Michael gets his imagination: when he pleads for his father to save him from his six-armed alien camp counselor, Harry sends a photo-collage postcard depicting desperate urbanites leaning out of windows, a New York Times headline announcing, "Big Heat Wave Grips City: Kids Stay at Camp." Harry's response
Jillian Dreixler
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is about a boy named Michael who did not want to go to summer camp tells his father about his adventures on a postcard from his time at camp. Through this postcard the reader learns about his time of being forced to eat vegetables by his alien counselor and how much he is disliked by this cabin mates. Even though Michael seems to having a bad experience at camp, his father tells him that he can survive his time at camp. Will Michael end up enjoying his time at camp? Major themes includ ...more
Charlyn
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Charlyn by: Texas Bluebonnet Reading List 2012-13
It is Michael's first trip to summer camp and he is a reluctant camper. Like Allan Sherman's song,"Dearest Mudda, Dearest Fadda," Michael portrays his cabin, his counselor, his cabin mates, the weather, and his experiences as horrid in his first postcards home. His father ignores Micahel's complaints and sends him cheery, humorous missives. Readers will be able to see Michael's changing viewpoint as the story progresses through the exchange of messages between father and son.

Using real envelope
Mary Kay
I keep feeling like I SHOULD have liked this one more than I did. TIny little letters to unfold and great illustrations.... but somehow it still didn't produce the widening smiles I had hoped it would.

The story is old, perhaps that's why? Young boy goes to camp, dislikes it....and writes back and forth to his father from camp. He ends up liking it. The back and forth reminded me of I Wanna Iguana, but not as clever.
The tiny notes are adorable, but they still didn't make the book for me. Consider
Jenny Schuth
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Postcards from Camp by Simms Taback is all about a young boy who is not too excited about going to camp. His dad has great memories from camp and wants his son to experience the same fun. It is a book of postcards and notes back and forth between father and son.

I wasn't particularly fond of this book. While the concept was cute I was actually pretty bored while reading. I did love the way it was illustrated and the fact that some of the letters were folded up in envelopes that you had to unfold
Susie
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun book relating the correspondence of postcards between camper son and his dad in New York. The series of cards happens over a 6 week period as Camper Michael adjusts to being away from home and learning to adjust to camp life and Parent Harry assuring him that the summer/camp will go well. Really enjoyed the artwork, and I'm guessing that seriously the campers had a lot of time to devote to their letters home. Fun read; similar to The Jolly Postman with its letters in the envelopes. Could be ...more
Nitza Campos
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This story is told by postcards being sent between father and son, Michael, who has been sent to summer camp. It starts off with Michael hating summer camp and begging his father to come and pick him up. Dad sends encouraging postcards trying to get his son to enjoy summer camp. This book has envelopes for kids to open and pull out letters. A ghost story is included. Cute book and reminded me of when I went off to summer camp and all the fun activities I did.
Cornmaven
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Quite a fetching and joyful book that recalls Allan Sherman's novelty song,
Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah. Kid resists going to camp, writes pleading
postcards and letters to his father begging to come home. Father writes
postcards and letters back, and of course at the end the kid loves
camp. I liked the art, the intriguing letters tucked into envelopes, and
the whole ball of wax. Librarians will worry about losing the loose
letters, unfortunately.
Susan
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grades
This book could have been wonderful, but the postcards just didn't flow together, and the plot was just a bit..... formulaic. I liked the book, and the postcard context is so much fun, but the back-and-forth between father and son took some thinking and re-reading to figure out. But I do see potential with leading kids through it and helping them to add some story to it in a writing exercise. Why do I always lead everything back to a writing exercise?!!
Leslie
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Creative, clever and fun! Michael goes to his first sleep-away camp, and HATES it! His counselor is an alien, and it rains all the time. Michael's father writes encouraging postcards in return. Will Michael ever like it there? Will he really make friends? It brought back great memories of camp...both attending,and sending our boys off to their first sleep away camp. Recommend this one! Winner of the 2013 Bluebonnet Award.
Sherry
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Purchased this after asking my PLN for recommendations for books with a camping theme to share with my son's second grade class. This book was recommended over and over again. Now I know why! T postcards, envelopes & letters, hand drawn illustrations, and humor make this book a real winner for all ages! I know the second graders will love it, but I also think middle school students to will as well. A mentor text for letter writing? Thanks PLN for the no,Erin suggestion!
Donalyn
At the insistence of his father, a boy reluctantly goes to camp for the summer. Postcards from Camp captures the correspondence between Michael and his father. While the postcards are elaborate and amusing, I found the text of the postcards boring and flat with little storyline to follow. He goes to camp, decides it isn't bad (for undisclosed reasons). and returns home. The cards and pull-out letters are fabulous and engaging works of art.
Kristi
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Michael is going to summer camp for the first time and is very apprehensive. Right away he pens a letter to his father to come get him. His father always responds with positivity and encouragement. The story plays out through a series of correspondence between father and son. A fun read especially for someone who can relate to going to summer camp for the first time.
Debby Baumgartner
The story is the exchange of postcards and letters between a father and son who has gone off to camp. As the story begins the young boy does not like camp but his attitude changes as the story progresses. The book includes envelopes glued to the pages with letters that the reader can remove from the book to read.
Kate
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Michael is new to sleep-away camp, and it’s not going so well. He thinks his counselor is an alien; his bunkmates are pranksters; and it’s constantly raining. So, he sends his dad urgent notes pleading for rescue. Quick to reply, his dad encourages Michael to stick it out, reminding him that he met some of his best buddies at camp when he was a kid.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hot Diggity Dog: the History of the Hot Dog
  • Ruth and the Green Book
  • Clever Jack Takes the Cake
  • The Hallelujah Flight
  • Hamster Magic (Magical Mix-Ups, #1)
  • Just Being Audrey
  • Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie (Eleanor, #1)
  • Aliens on Vacation (Intergalactic Bed and Breakfast, #1)
  • Orani: My Father's Village
  • Benjamin Franklinstein Lives!
  • EllRay Jakes Is Not a Chicken
  • Edwin Speaks Up
  • The Cheshire Cheese Cat: A Dickens of a Tale
  • Jangles: A Big Fish Story
Simms Taback was an American writer, graphic artist, and illustrator of more than 35 books. He won the 2000 Caldecott Medal for U.S. picture book illustration, recognizing Joseph Had a Little Overcoat, and was a runner-up in 1998 for There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.