Start by marking “And Then It's Spring” as Want to Read:
And Then It's Spring

And Then It's Spring

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  3,732 Ratings  ·  472 Reviews
Following a snow-filled winter, a young boy and his dog decide that they've had enough of all that brown and resolve to plant a garden. They dig, they plant, they play, they wait . . . and wait . . . until at last, the brown becomes a more hopeful shade of brown, a sign that spring may finally be on its way.

Julie Fogliano's tender story of anticipation is brought to life
Published February 14th 2012 by Roaring Brook Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about And Then It's Spring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Then It's Spring

Tamara
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The most perfect kind of simple.

Favorite Quotes & Illustration

and the brown,
still brown, has a greenish hum
that you can only hear
if you put your ear to the ground
and close your eyes

[With the boy and the dog and the turtle and the bunny, their ears to the ground, listening for the hum of green. And the mice and squirrels and worms and ants under ground, listening for the hum.]
Donalyn
A boy and his dog patiently wait for spring. Beautiful interplay between the simple text and detailed illustrations. I would like my favorite line on my classroom door, "Please do not stomp here-- there are seeds and they are trying."
babyhippoface
You open the book and read the first page about brown. And then you turn the page and it is still brown. And then you turn another page and it talks about birds and you're confused. And then you turn another page and suddenly there are bears in your garden and you are more confused than ever. And then you turn one more page and it is spring. And then you turn one more page and it's the end.

I am clearly in the minority here. I did not love this book. And after attempting to read it aloud to class
Betsy
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Patience is a virtue. Riiiiiight. Actually it is, but tell that to anyone under the age of fifteen (to pick an arbitrary age). Though it varies from child to child, immediate satisfaction is something our day and age strives to give us in everything from grocery shopping to movie selection. When kids can just hop on the internet and within less than a minute be connected to the sites they want and need then the idea of something taking not just days but weeks is capable of blowing their furry li ...more
Patricia Bandre
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ncbla
I am so very taken by this book. Aesthetically, it is magnificent - thick, creamy paper, endpapers that shift from gray blue to spring sky blue, perfect size for holding and sharing. The sparse, poetic text is positively lovely - who would have thought that brown was a "hopeful" color? Who would have known you could hear the "hum" of green by putting your ear to the ground? And the illustrations - what details! I spent a LONG time looking at them repeatedly. The expressions on the dog's face, th ...more
Jessica
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
It's terrible when a picture book has wonderful, delightful even, illustrations but the text falls flat. Or vice versa. Especially when the pictures are as lovely as Erin Stead's. If you liked her style in A Sick Day for Amos McGee, which is quiet and lovely, you'll also enjoy And Then It's Spring, which follows a young boy and his dog (and a bunny!), who decide to plant a garden. It's a book about patience, as they wait for the seeds to take root, and for new life to sprout. I love the illustra ...more
Taiba Hussain
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
As the topic was Spring/Easter, I felt it fitting to read this story to my Nursery class. The whole week revolved around growing cress so this story complimented the week’s events. The story is set in the last few days of winter where a young boy is sick of seeing so much brown and is ready for the spring colours to come through. He plants some seeds, but to his dismay, nothing has grown yet! He waits and waits, and cannot comprehend why the seeds haven’t sprouted. What could have happened? Did ...more
Kathryn
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kathryn by: Wilhelmina Jenkins
I really enjoyed this story. It worked its magic on me! I loved the patience and optimism of the child, facing the brown-brown world and yet having faith that the seeds planted will grow, the green will happen, and spring will come. Some of the little touches (like the sign the child puts up in the garden, about not stomping on the ground because there are seeds and "they are trying") are just so darling and heartwarming. And the illustrations are wonderful (this is the illustrator who collabora ...more
Danette
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"and the brown, still brown, has a greenish hum that you can only hear if you put your ear to the ground and close your eyes" My 4 yr old remarks, "My ear would get dirty if I did that!"

Read with Naomi.
Tammy Seidel
Mar 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Story was boring! Pictures were great...
Jasmine
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Please do not stomp here. There are seeds, and they are trying."
Judith
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes waiting on spring can feel like forever, especially when the colors of winter are all around. Brown, brown, brown everywhere you see. In And Then It’s Spring, a young boy and his loyal dog wait patiently and sometimes not so patiently for their garden to grow. The boy doesn’t understand why the seeds that he has planted won’t grow. Maybe some bears stomped on the seeds? Or some hungry birds found the seeds and decided they would be a perfect snack? No matter what the reason may be, the ...more
Kellie Deruwe
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
And then it's spring is a story about a boy who plants seeds in the fall when everything is brown. He checks the ground everyday and everything is still brown. After a rain he is excited that maybe green will show, but it is still brown. The boy is starting to think that maybe the seeds he planted will not come through the ground until one day he comes out to check his seeds after it had rained and everything was finally green! He was so excited to see that there was no longer any brown.

Unfortun
Angela Bailey
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Title / Author / Publication Date:
And then it's spring. / Julie Fogliano. Erin E Stead (ill). / 2012.

Genre: Fiction.

Format: Picturebook - print.

Plot summary:
"Simple text reveals the anticipation of a boy who, having planted seeds while everything around is brown, fears that something has gone wrong until, at last, the world turns green" (NoveList).

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory:
concept book - changing seasons, gardening, waiting for plants to grow

Review citation:
"Children wi
Heather
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: rls-520

Review for 3sh Horn Book

Written by Julie Fogliano, And then it’s Spring is a straightforward picture book written from the perspective of a young child. The book begins brown and dreary which inspires the young character to plant seeds. The boy and his companions; a dog, rabbit, and turtle are in search of spring. I think young children (grades k-3) would enjoy the building suspense of this story. The illustrator, Erin Stead, has once again created illustrations that tell the story itself. Pay c
Elisabeth
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So much to love about this book but Erin Stead's wonderful art is so charming and just plain perfection (can she win another Caldecott? She really really could!) The page when "it's spring" actually made me gasp when I turned to it. Captures wonderfully, but simply the ancticpation we all get this time of year. Lots of brown and we all want just a little green. It cured my own Spring Fever a bit. If this cute bespectacled boy and his adorable animal pals can be be patient, so can I. I would sugg ...more
Lu Benke
This book is what I would call a "mood" book that works to introduce a topic but not really get you into a story about it. The illustrations are fun and large enough for sharing with a group, but the story is too slight. Carrot Seed (Kraus) still does it better.
katsok
Flipped through this one at the bookstore and had to purchase it. Great message about patience as a boy waits for his garden to grow. The illustrations are amazing and I love the animals that are shown throughout. My favorite page was the cutaway to what was happening underground.
Hannah
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
While I loved the illustrations, I found the writing a bit confusing on my first read. "Oh... so its like one big run on sentence... or a poem?" After a re-read, I enjoyed the text much more but am not sure if it would go over well as a read-aloud.
Kayla
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just makes my heart smile. "Please do not stomp here. There are seeds and they are trying." I fell in love with the simplistic yet expressive illustrations as well.
Emma
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not as amazing as A Sick Day for Amos McGee but that's a high standard to follow.
Ama
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Text was OK. LOVE the illustrations. If this was a wordless book I would have given it 4 stars.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I love this book. The illustrations take the text to the next level. Love the little turtle and the rabbit that are shown in the pictures.
Laurie
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Mary
Read-Aloud Revival recommendation for April picture books. I loved it because, having lived in both Upstate New York and the greater Chicagoland area for many winters, I can relate to watching various shades of brown and waiting and hoping for a touch of less brown to indicate spring is coming. And the boys loved it because it's simple yet clever.
Bailey
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The illustrations are beautiful. I was hoping to use it to talk about seasons in math and there's not quite enough information for that... but it is a sweet narrative. Just not highly informative. Cute read aloud.
Kristen Dutkiewicz
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Very simple story but does a nice job explaining how it takes time for seeds to grow.
Diane
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Booklist Editors’ Choice: Books for Youth, 2012; Kirkus Best Children's Books of 2012
Wan Children
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely anything illustrated by Erin E. Stead!
Jo Oehrlein
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Brown all around. Seeds have been planted, but nothing seems to happen for weeks. Rain doesn't change things. Finally, it's green!
  • Bear Has a Story to Tell
  • Boy + Bot
  • One Cool Friend
  • Stars
  • When Blue Met Egg
Julie Fogliano has spent her entire life reading children's books. She lives in the Hudson Valley with her husband and three children.
More about Julie Fogliano...