Start by marking “Designed for Use” as Want to Read:
Designed for Use

Designed for Use

Have you ever been angry at your computer or cell phone? Do you sometimes wonder why it's so hard to set your watch to the correct time, or why getting your DVR to record your favorite shows is such a chore? Do you dream of making products that are free of these issues and that your customers can actually figure out how to use? This book shows you how to design application ...more
Published June 25th 2011 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published June 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Designed for Use, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designed for Use

The Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. NormanDon't Make Me Think by Steve KrugThe Elements of User Experience by Jesse James Garrett100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People by Susan M. WeinschenkAbout Face 3 by Alan Cooper
Must Read UX Books
45 books — 91 voters
The Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. NormanDon't Make Me Think by Steve KrugUniversal Principles of Design by William LidwellThe Elements of User Experience by Jesse James GarrettAbout Face 3 by Alan Cooper
UX books
67 books — 118 voters

More lists with this book...

Kiri
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-science
Excellent text that covers the whole arc of product design, from initial research to design to implementation to evaluation (testing). I probably wouldn't use every idea listed in the book (nor need to), but there is useful content here both in terms of specific methods (e.g., card sorting) and abstract considerations (e.g., "features are not requirements", discoverability, and "instead of interrupting, offer undo"). Very readable!
Hunter Hart
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's profoundly frustrating when products don't behave as ex expected. Products with great usability on the other hand are a pleasure to use and have an easier time to create value for their customers.

Designed for Use is the best book you can get about usability of web & mobile applications. It covers a wide range of usability concepts and research in a way that’s very accessible even if your background is in so
Ronald
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
I spend most of my programming time working on the back end of systems but have been called on to contribute to user interface portions of solutions. I'll admit that UX is not a passion of mine but I thought it would be wise to better understand the thinking that goes into creating a usable interface, so I picked up a copy of the book. At the very least, it would allow me to better contribute in meetings when I get asked my opinion on which option I think is best.

Much like the rest of the softwa
Anton Sotkov
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very useful book. I way, it’s similar to Dan Saffer’s Designing For Interaction albeit more modern, perhaps that’s why I’ve skimmed through some of the chapters. I’m sure I’ll come back to it later, though, to refresh my memory, because the topics it raises are important, and it’s extremely well written.
Matthew Connolly
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Designers or developers interested in usability
A good overview of the process of designing systems or websites in a user-centered way and then testing them to uncover usability issues. Chapters are short, easily digestible and mostly give a high-level overview of a particular usability testing technique or design concept. Experienced designers may find many of the principles and methods familiar, but it's good to be reminded of them from time to time; also, the suggestions for further reading are extensive and enticing.
Chris Adams
This book is a fast read, and full of short chapters that lend themselves well to dipping into and out of.

There's enough practical content here to start improving how you build products immediately, and is extremely accessible, enough pointers where to go for more depth in a subject as well.

Great to refer to after reading through, for reference.

Recommended
Arnav Shah
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
A solid book that goes over theoretical and practical ways to improve the design of software products. There's quite a bit on conducting usability studies, which I wasn't too interested in, but I'm sure others will find it useful. Overall, it's a quick and easy read that covers critical but often forgotten good principles.
Carolina Bento
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very detailed book on how to build products that meet their users' needs. Loved how it is so very well organized. Gives a clear idea of the meaning and need of each technique without losing losing sight of how it fits in the product development cycle.
John-Philip
May 16, 2012 rated it liked it
It's a good introduction to the methods used in UX. It covers most of the techniques, together with tips and thoughts. If you're interesting in knowing more about working with UX this could be a interesting read.
Davidkjelkerud
Very hands on. So much that it even has example manuscripts for how to ask questions in usability tests. Spanning basically the whole design process it covers many subjects, giving actionable advise on most. Good, fresh examples with recent tech.
Chris Wang
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hci-ux-ixd
A good book in a sense that it covers most of the people, principles and practices that you need to know. It's more like a UX dictionary. It's pretty basic and probably won't be useful for your next project. But it tells you what resources you can refer to in depth.
Bruno Bonamin
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good insight about how to have a good design process to create a new product, mostly web based solutions.
Alex Miles
Product design 101
Connie
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Skip the chapters about usability testing... some pretty good chapters about design
Tom Karlo
Jul 06, 2011 rated it liked it
A good into to usability principals, but a little basic if you've ever studied the topic.
James Fellows
Oct 01, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • A Practical Guide to Information Architecture
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • Beautiful Architecture
  • Beautiful Testing: Leading Professionals Reveal How They Improve Software

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »