Start by marking “Betty and Friends: My Life at the Zoo” as Want to Read:
Betty and Friends: My Life at the Zoo

Betty and Friends: My Life at the Zoo

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  594 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
America's sweetheart, impassioned lifelong animal welfare advocate, and New York Times-bestselling author Betty White offers intimate and funny stories about her animal friends at the zoo, enhanced by gorgeous four-color photographs.
Published November 21st 2011 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Betty and Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betty and Friends

Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all animal lovers
Recommended to TL by: after I bought one of Betty's other books
Shelves: favorites

Yes I'm tired haha :-P ;-)

Was looking for a light and fluffy read after a LONG couple work nights this past week. I had gotten this fairly recently in the mail from paperbackswap, glimpsed it on one of my shelves when I got up and figured, why not now?

I loved seeing the photographs,seeing/feeling Betty's passion for animals, and reading the little stories posted by some of them. The text is light and fluffy but it makes you smile and occasionally laugh at some of our furry family.

The snow leopar
"For openers, let me say that I realize there are those whose minds are irrevocably set against the entire concept of zoos and consequently see only negatives. They have every right to their opinion, and I respect it. As for me, however, I am a confirmed zoophile, and I particularly appreciate the positive changes that have taken place in the whole zoo community over the past few decades, and the critical role they play today in perpetuating endangered species." (pg 3)

I too, as with Betty White,
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: zoo-other
A light, quick read - I would probably almost call this a children's book except that it's longer (in terms of pages) than most children's books. I had no idea Betty White was so into animals and zoos. I think it's great that someone of her level is involved in this type of work, which you don't see that often.

Looking through the pictures was fun, but most of the text was fluffy. I did love how she infused a bit of humor in places. It made me grin.

It's very text-light overall. Shouldn't take mor
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Extremely easy read, filled with many beautiful photos, interesting facts and cute stories! Betty's immense love for animals and zoos just makes me love her all the more!
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Great book to read on a lazy weekend with the kids. If your kids are really young, there are pictures on almost every page to look at. Betty talks conservation, improving zoos, and shares her love of animals and personal stories with the L.A. zoo.

Most of the 304 pages are pictures, and the sections of her writing are a paragraph to a page or two. She even had a smattering of humor throughout the book.
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ahh as if I even needed another reason to adore Betty White. This was adorable and informative. I'm glad I bought it on a whim!
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? It's another "Betty" book! Of course I love it! Betty writes as if she is having a conversation with you; consequently you feel as if she is one of your best friends. The pictures in this book are so breathtaking I want to look at them again and again! This is a must read! You won't regret it! :-)
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a nice little book about 50% pictures and 50% words. Betty White is an American icon and has long been known for her love of animals of all kinds. This would be a great book to sit down with the grandkids and share with them how many rare and exotic animals there are. I enjoyed it and found that there many animals that I never knew existed.
Paul Pessolano
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
“Betty & Friends, My Life at the Zoo” by Betty White, published by G.P. Putnam’s Sons.

Category – Animals

If there were more Betty Whites in the world there probably would be fewer if any endangered species. In her book Betty tells of her life long love of animals and zoos. She is quick to let everyone know that there are people who are opposed to zoos because they believe that animals should not be kept in captivity and that is cruel. She is also quick to expound on the fact that zoos have c
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book starts with the following: "I realize there are those whose minds are irrevocably set against the entire concept of zoos and consequently see only negatives. They have every right to their opinion and I respect it. As for me, however, I am a confirmed zoophile, and I particularly appreciate the positive changes that have taken place in the whole zoo community over the past few decades and the critical role they play today in perpetuating endangered species." My view could not be stated ...more
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is basically like a children's book filled with pictures of adorable animals and cute anecdotes. That being said, I recommended it to all of my animal loving friends and family! Sometimes you just need a quick, heart-warming book to read. If this didn't have Betty White on the cover it probably wouldn't have sold many copies, but congrats to Betty for bringing her passions to the main stream just because she can.

I would definitely give this to adults but you could very easily pass it o
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal
I have always greatly respected Betty White's crusade for animals, an issue which I agree with. In this book, Betty White writes about some of the animals at the zoo that she has known and come to love. It is accompanied by the most glorious photography imaginable. If you love animals, this is a quick read that you will definitely enjoy! And make sure you read to "The End" so you don't miss the best part!
Amy "the book-bat"
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography-memoir
This book was an incredibly fast read. I think there were more pages of pictures than of text. Anyway, if you love animals and Betty White, I think you will enjoy this book quite a bit. I learned about some animals I had never heard of before and I also learned more about Betty's role in helping save animals through her work with the LA Zoo. The photos are absolutely beautiful (one in particular made me jealous... I want to hold a koala too!).
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love watching Betty White on TV, especially reruns of The Golden Girls, and her little segments on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. I've been wanting to read one of her books for a while now, I am so glad I picked this one as my first. This book shows in very great detail, the love Betty has for all animals. The pictures are lovely, and the small amount of facts about the animals, is very interesting for anyone who is interested in animals.
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I just picked this up as Betty White is everywhere right now and I figured I might as well learn about her. Turns out this book is about the various zoos she's visited or sits on the Board for. Still some really beautiful photos and a behind the scenes appreciation for what zoos are doing to balance man's destructive habits. Maybe the wrong animals are behind bars ...
Becky Galambos
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent zoo animal guide, infused with Betty White's humor. Her love of animals and her wit shine on EVERY page. Lots of color pics. I think my favorite picture is of her and the giraffe - the caption is an apology to the zoo, for getting lipstick on the giraffe who kissed her.
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is full of vibrant wonderful pictures of animals and you can just tell throughout how passionate she is about the zoo. An awesome find and I think it could be appreciated by all age groups.
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book--her love for animals goes beyond.....
Wendy Mills
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. Lots of beautiful photos of amazing animals to look at, interesting bits of information about several of the animals, and entertaining bits about Betty’s encounters with some of the creatures included in the book.
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A cute and educational little book with lots of pictures. A little bummed that there weren't any pictures of pandas. I love pandas! Like Betty, I like animals more than I like people.
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great short picture book by Betty White about her friendships with animals. A joy to read!
Jennifer Smith
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Basically a picture book of various animals she has encountered over the years. Happy to see such a wonderful animal advocate!
Allison Greg
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for animal lovers. Betty White has many funny quotes and stories in this book. It was a very quick and enjoyable read.
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Betty & Friends is the passion project Betty White has been working on for more than a decade - a love letter to zoos and to the animals in them. Betty takes us on a private tour of her favorite animals and her friendships with them - from Gita the elephant, whom Betty used to take for walks before the zoo opened; to Kelly the massive silver back gorilla, whom Betty has known since his birth in 1987. From giraffes to lizards to koalas, readers witness the majestic variety of animals through ...more
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Fans of Betty White are well-aware of her extreme love for both domestic and wild animals. White is not only involved with and serves on the board of several animal non-profits; but she has won awards for her work. Betty White shares some of her animal experiences in “Betty & Friends: My Life at the Zoo”.

Although “Betty & Friends” is beautifully eye appealing with glossy pages, luxurious colors, and gorgeous photos of animals; the text and “plot” falls short. As much as I adore Betty, “B
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
How can you not love Betty White and fabulous pictures of animals? The book was short on words but filled with photos of animals in the variety of zoos Betty loves, including special animals that she forged a bont with over the years. Some are current residents, others were key individauls to restoration of their species whose legacy lives on with their offspring.
Betty includes stories about many of these animals, some being a sentence long, others a couple pages, all told from her perspective.
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
This is a difficult review to write.

"Betty & Friends" features a number of photographs of animals, along with author Betty White's recollections of meeting or observing them - plus a factoid or two along the way.

a) Some of these photos do not feature animals that Betty has a background with (at least not one she makes obvious); they're incredible photos, but the captions provide no illumination.

b) Some of those captions do not provide any significant detail; in fact, they consist o
Naomi Blackburn
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Betty strikes again, but in a really unusual way!!

I loved the pictures in this book. Whoever was the photographer was really able to nail almost "humanistic" qualities in some of the animals, particularly those in the primates. It was pretty amazing. Of course, then, there is the text written by Betty that brought the book together. I disagree with some of the "snippiness and snarkiness" written by another reviewer on this thread. I think the information was relevant and, again, brought an under
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a really quick read, lots of gorgeous photos. Really loved that it sounded exactly like hearing her speak, and her genuine love for animals jumps off the pages. With the negativity regarding zoos, felt she handled the issue very well, basically stating there are good zoos, bad zoos, but please stop to consider all the positive things the good zoos are doing for animals. And report those who are not protecting them.

I would personally recommend this as a book to read to a young child, eve
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-in-2014
I didn't realize it going in, but this is more of a photo album than an actual novel. Betty White wants us all to love animals and love good zoos and she she tries to do this through beautiful animal pictures and short anecdotes. Pretty much the book goes that you read a few paragraphs about Betty's interaction with, say, a gorilla and then you turn the page expecting to read more about the gorilla but instead find the next five pages filled with pictures of random zoo animals with the occasiona ...more
  • Uggie--My Story
  • What a Difference a Dog Makes: Big Lessons on Life, Love and Healing from a Small Pooch
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • Giant George: Life with the World's Biggest Dog
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
  • Heroes for My Daughter
  • Unlikely Friendships : 47 Remarkable Stories from the Animal Kingdom
  • Making Animals Happy: How to Create the Best Life for Pets and Other Animals
  • Hiss and Tell
  • Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself
  • Bad to the Bone: Memoir of a Rebel Doggie Blogger
  • Weddings (Amish Knitting Circle, #2)
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • The Anteater of Death (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #1)
  • One on One: Behind the Scenes with the Greats in the Game
  • The Woman I Was Born to Be: My Story
  • Sold into Egypt (Genesis, #3)
  • Trusting Calvin: How a Dog Helped Heal a Holocaust Survivor's Heart
Betty White is an American five-time Emmy Award-winning film and television actress with a career spanning sixty years. She also appeared in radio programs, movies, theater, commercials, and was also a talk show and game show host. White is perhaps best known for her roles in the sitcoms The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Golden Girls.
More about Betty White...

Nonfiction Deals

• A Room of One's Own
  • Life in a Medieval City
  • Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych E.R.
  • Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be