Start by marking “The Practice Date” as Want to Read:
The Practice Date

The Practice Date

From New York Times bestselling author of NOT WHAT SHE SEEMS.

Jane’s been in love with her best friend Lance since they were kids. Best friend, that is, until he ditched her for the more popular crowd. What’s a computer nerd doing spending time with jocks anyway?

When he asks her for help getting a date to the prom with the most popular girl in school she almost tells him
Published (first published June 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Practice Date, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Practice Date

Craig Hansen
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
After a foray into science fiction, New York Times bestselling author Victorine E. Lieske returns, in part, to familiar territory. The Practice Date is a roughly 11,000-word novelette that is a romance (like Not What She Seems) and is young adult (like The Overtaking) but is neither a suspense story nor a science fiction tale.

Think of it as a short John Hughes film, in print form. Like the Reader's Digest annotated version of Pretty In Pink. Or, for you readers who grew up in the '90s, maybe mor
Zury
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens, Romantics, Young-Adults
Recommended to Zury by: Amazon freebie
This was such a cute short story. And that's exactly what it was - a short story. Fairly fast paced since you can read it in maybe a day or two. I got it from Amazon as a freebie and since I'm a sucker for romance, I downloaded it and was left saying "Awww how cute" so it was nice.

This is about a teen girl named Jane who has been in love with her friend Lance since they were kids. Of course he's oblivious to this fact and when he approaches her for a favor, she agrees to helping him. Unfortunat
Misty
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Short and sweet

I would have changed one thing about this story. Of course I won't say whAt because I don't want to ruin it for anyone but other than that it was really cute and sweet.
Srk001
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars; was an okay read for a novelette
Char (1RadReader59)
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jane had been friends with Lance her neighbor since they were kids, she now 16 and he is now 17. They used to hang out playing the video game Avengers, but for a little over a year now he has been hanging out with the popular kids. Not once thinking to include her or visit her.
On this day on her way home from school he is waiting on his porch as she passes so he can talk to her. When he speaks to her she acts like she didn’t notice him. Then he asks if she wants to hang out. She knows there i
Change211
It was short, fast-paced and it spares me from drama. I couldn’t relate ‘cause I have never been in love with a friend, but it was easy to put yourself into the character.

The thing was I don’t like it that much, yes, it was less dramatic…but maybe that’s what it lacks. Imagine, your childhood friend shut you out without a word and you could just let him back in your life that easily? Only because you like him and you want to be with him? What is that? Isn’t it more painful for you? You like him
Katie W
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Jane's friend and neighbor, Lance, has broken her heart. They used to hang out all of the time, but now that he's "in" with the popular crowd, she's history. She's also in love with him. When Lance asks Jane for help in training him to be the perfect date for a popular cheerleader, Jane jumps at the chance to spend time with Lance again. Even if it means having her heart broken again.

This was a short, cute, sweet (clean) story. Lance was pretty clueless, but that's probably pretty typical of the
Kim
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
At the beginning of this title I wanted to just shake the clueless hero over and over! Then there was the devastating tragic twist of why the hero stayed away from the heroine for a year when he needed her the most. Then I was like, "Oh!...". Then after that the perfect dates, holding hands, thoughtful gestures, and those sweet but heart attack inducing kisses that followed just for practice and I was like in total swoon readers. The near end HEA twist was expected, but still loved it! So this c ...more
Gabs {My Full Bookshelf Reviews}
Read more of my reviews at My Full Bookshelf Reviews

This book is all a romance book should be; fun and satisfying, with an ending that gives you warm fuzzies. Unfortunately, it suffers from 'novella syndrome'; the plot goes by so fast that you cannot connect with the characters as much as you could in a regular sized book. Still, it was one of the better novellas I've read. I could still connect with Jane, just not as much as in a 200-300 page book.

I feel that this would have been even
Elaine
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Actually this is one of the better romances out there because it lacks the fluff.

Jane's crazy about her childhood friend Lance but for some time, he's excluded her from his life while he hangs out with the "cool" crowd. Now he's asking for her help in transforming him from the nerd that he is so that he can ask pretty Tiffany to the prom. Jane's heart sinks but to spend time with him, she tells him she'll do it. When they go out looking for "cool" clothes for him, he treats Jane to lunch and sh
Theresa Needham fehse
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Practice Date is the perfect read for someone looking for a sweet tale of first love and a romantic read. I really enjoyed how the two main characters, Lance and Jane, slowly rekindled their friendship after many years of not talking to each other. This eventually led to them developing into more than friends.

Lieske does a nice job of writing Jane's confusion and frustration of what she feels for Lance. I connected with Jane just like I am sure many others will. It is a quick read but defini
Sienna Logan (Lost to Books)
More reviews at http://losttobooks.blogspot.com

Actual rating 3.5

This was just what you'd expect from a novella; it was short, sweet and enjoyable. The narrative was fun and lighthearted and although you don't connect with the characters because o the length, it does keep you wanting to read more.

The plot is a standard girl-likes-friend-but-he's-clueless and although it's predictable, it's still a nice read that's okay for relaxing. There were some parts moved a little too quickly and could ha
Charissa
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jane has always had a crush on her neighbor and friend, Lance. But after he joins the more popular crowd, he ditches her and breaks her heart. After months of being apart, Lance reenters her life to enlist help in sprucing up his image so he can ask a pretty cheerleader out to prom. Jane helps him (just to spend time with him), knowing she will have her heart broken again by her friend. Lance takes her on practice dates and she helps him learn how to dance to prepare him for the real one. This w ...more
Ines Bautista-yao
Mar 02, 2015 is currently reading it
I woke up at 4am to finish reading this story!

You read that right. I fell asleep reading it and woke up in the middle of the night because I wanted more! It was that good.

I love the author's clean, crisp writing style and how she makes you care about the characters from the get-go.

I also particularly like the whole practice date scenario. I read a Sweet Dreams (Bantam) book that had a similar theme when I was in high school and I loved the movie Some Kind of Wonderful, which also involved pra
June
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun little teen read about young love. Jane and Lance have been friends forever. But suddenly Lance started hanging out with the football players and cheerleaders and Jane misses him. When Lance asks her for help getting ready to ask another girl to the prom, Jane is torn. She doesn't want him to ask someone else, but if that's the only way she can be with him, she'll help. Practice, practice, practice. And then Lance gives her a nice little surprise.

Clean story, clean language. Short teen no
yani
May 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-reads
*2 stars*

This "novelette" is so predictable and clichéd. As I've said tons before, there is nothing wrong with cliché, so long as it's written and executed well. But with this one, the writing felt uninspired. I know the author put a lot of effort into this, and I admire that, but I just have to put it out there. I felt like it was so rushed. The emotions were not conveyed well. The characters, too, were banal and flat. Anyway, it was entertaining enough not to put down. It's still cute, short a
Laura Phillips
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Light easy reading that is not detailed enough. Reads like a short story. Just looked up the print length in Amazon and not sure how this could only be 38 pages. So, basing this on a short story, it had to be rushed and was fun to read. I guess I would have just preferred something longer with more details. I did like the plot, just would have preferred it not to be so rushed.

I hate that this is going to destroy my page per book average for the year. But on the plus note, it helps me with the bo
H.
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Amazon had the Kindle edition for free this week, so I took a chance on it and downloaded it. It's a cute novelette and only took me about forty-five minutes to read. The only thing that annoyed me had nothing to do with the storytelling but with several word misuses. I guess the editor in me is always going to get annoyed with anything short of perfection in the grammar area, but as a reader, I could stand to read this short story again whenever I need a little romance.
Nerissa Ayala Lesko
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet

My title says it all. Short and sweet. If you are looking for a quick YA romantic read this is it. I enjoyed this book and think how it could be turned into a movie. It would need to be expanded on quite a lot.

Judging a cover... 3/5 for the cover. It looked like a YA novel cover. I don't think it had anything to do with the story. It need to be a little more geeky or quirky. It needed something else.
Monica
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
cute teenage romance story about a girl who has decided to help her longtime crush ask the cheerleader to prom only so she can spend more time with him. he soon realizes that he would rather be with her than the cheerleader. this story reminds me about the sometimes awkward stages of dating in high school.
Melissa
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of The Practice Date for free from Amazon. This was a quick read that I think would be fun for most teenagers. The author made it easy to understand the frustration of Jane who was spending time with a boy who liked someone else. (Men!) I liked that the novelette was a clean romance and seemed well-written.
3 Stars. Clean romance.
•Anna•
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was kind of sweet, yeah, but predictable from the very first word.
And Jane... a friend - who happens to be your biggest crush - doesn't say a single word to you in years, and you let him use you at the first opportunity? HELL TO THE NO.
And Lance... selling out your Star Wars collection only to impress someone? Kid, you've got to be kidding me!
Kathy
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I've enjoyed this author's Married Series so thought I'd give this one a try. This story is fine but not one I would rave about. Didn't really connect with either character probably because it was so short.

Content: Clean
Source: Kindle Freebie
Catherine
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
The first time I read this I loved it. But when I read it again (so I can put it into Goodreads), I really disliked it. I really don't know what changed my mind.
I thought the book lacked something, not sure what it is (and trust me, it's annoying me).
Maybe if I read it again I might like it.
Melanie Gin
This was a really short and quick read.
Very predictable, but still very cute.

Since it was so short, Victorine wasted no time in the progression.
I didn't really get the 16 and 17 year old vibe more like 14 and 15, but no matter
Brianne Whitley
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This reminded me of a cheesy 80’s romantic comedy. It was clean, had some romance, and some minor confusion between the main characters. This was a short, sweet book that made me laugh and root for Jane! This was a good book!
Amy
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-on-kindle
A super cute short story about friendship and the power of first love. The Practice Date was a fast read, but the writing was good and watching the two main characters fall in love was sweet. Well worth the short time it took to read and def an author to check out.
Jacquie
Aug 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Nice story about teen love
Rauna Pennington
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Adorable!!! Fun, clean, good read! :)
Lenore Kosinski
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, pixel-of-ink
Supercute little romance novelette! :)
  • Cry Uncle
  • Ex On The Beach
  • A Matter of Trust
  • Colby's Child
  • The Queen Bee of Bridgeton (Dancing Dream, #1)
  • His Not So Sensible Miss
  • The Unofficial Story of Kyle B. Johnston (Unofficial #2)
  • A Change of Heart
  • Breaking the Arm, Healing the Heart
  • Here to Stay
  • Holding Out For a Hero
  • Hurricanes in Paradise
  • Four Kisses (Love Nibbles, #3)
  • A Stingray Bit My Nipple!: True Stories from Real Travelers
  • Late Rain
  • The Prince with Amnesia
  • Seaweed
  • Maggie Come Lately (The Pathway Collection, #1)