Start by marking “Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)” as Want to Read:
Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)

Raven Calls

(Walker Papers #7)

Something wicked this way comes…

Suddenly, being bitten by a werewolf is the least of Joanne Walker’s problems.

Her personal life in turmoil, her job as a cop over, she’s been called to Ireland by the magic within her. And though Joanne’s skills have grown by leaps and bounds, Ireland’s magic is old and very powerful…

In fact, this is a case of unfinished business. Because th
Published March 1st 2012 (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Raven Calls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raven Calls

The Flooze
For tonight's rendition of Lazy Reviewing, I'm pilfering my own posts from the comments section. (Don't judge me. This is the seventh book.)

Raven Calls might be a Walker novel, but with the story placed out of time and in a different setting (view spoiler), it almost read like an aside to the series.

The concept of time loops is played with a lot. A. Lot. It's something we've already seen in relation to Present Jo and Past
Larisa
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won, own
slight disclaimer: I managed to win a copy from a giveaway. The only bias this gives me is the sheer pleasure of reading an autographed copy before the release date. (Think ferret style happy war dance at the mailbox) That alone is a rush of lush proportions. It also means if the book hadn't lived up to the rush I'd be snarling and gnashing my teeth in despair rather than gushing all over the place.

I wish there were more stars to award a book. A symbol or number of them that would convey - Just
Daffodil
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
You wouldn't expect Native American Shamanism & Celtic Mythology to blend well into a cohesive storyline. Yet book after book, C.E. Murphy succeeds in delivering a story that keeps you on your toes. I love the fact that you never quite know what to expect.

Joanne Walker, born Siobhan Grainne MacNamarra Walkingstick, began as a disbeliever in book 1 and has gradually learned to use her shamanic powers throughout the series. You definitely need to have read the first 6 books in the series befo
Lia
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
More lulz!

And I was really enjoying the Irish mythology. Right up my alley. Gancanagh was fun. Meabh was fun too, and Catriona, and the "new banshee queen"... hope to see more. I was even hearing Irish accents when they spoke. =)

I took a break to get some library books read before they were due back, which is why it took so long... but I gobbled this one up!

The final battles could have felt a wee bit less rushed... not terribly satisfying or even fully comprehensible. Not quite anti-climactic..
Kathy Davie
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Seventh in the Walker Papers urban fantasy series and revolving around an urban shaman, Joanne Walker, a detective in Seattle. This story continues where Spirit Dances , 6, left off.

My Take
This is more fantastical . . . hmmm, maybe not . . . than earlier stories. I think my thoughts were that Raven Calls is more fantastical because Joanne goes off to Ireland and flips back in time, battles the Morrígan, meets up with ancestors — and her mum! — battles more bad guys . . . Yep, it's definitely mo
So, I Read This Book Today
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I first picked up "Urban Shaman" Urban Shaman (The Walker Papers, Book 1) back in 2009, during a really bad part of my life. Urban Shaman was recommended to me by a bookseller whose tastes I shared, and, I must say, I was immediately drawn in to this new and fascinating world. Since then, Ms. Murphy has never failed to deliver what I believe to be some of the most well written character development and world building in urban fantasy today.

Writers can take many directions with their work, and th
momokaachan
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Amazing read. Too bad it had a cliff-hanger ending.
Kt
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

After quitting her job and professing her feelings to Morrison, Joanne is in a race against time (literally) as she travels to Ireland to fight the werewolf infection brewing inside of her. However, once she arrives, she finds that infection to be nothing in comparison to the rest of the issues she must face. The magic she will be facing is older than she can imagine and is tied directly into The Master that has had a hand in all the turmoil
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
This book picks up almost immediately after the events at the end of the last book, Spirit Dances, with our lovely protagonist Joanne Walker on her way to Ireland to take care of that pesky werewolf bite. I had some very big expectations for this book after the way the last book ended, and in most ways those expectations were met, maybe even surpassed. And yet, I can't help deducting one respect point for the missing characters in this instalment. Phone calls are all well and good (very good, ac ...more
Julie
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, favorites
"WHAT...?"

Okay I'm not going to say exactly what came out of my mouth when I finished this book, but some might get the point.

Honestly I have to say I did enjoy this book and really, it was good. I'm just being stubborn and grumpy because I think with the way things have ended it is going to be a long while before we get some Morrison. I'm not talking about a stupid phone call either!

Joanne going off to Ireland made sense and caught my interest. Gary meeting up with her there was great. But the
Jenn
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
SPOILER ALERT: It's impossible to discuss this book without referencing events from the previous novel, SPIRIT DANCES. Please don't read this post unless you're all caught up or don't mind spoilers from previous novels. (There's a bit of a give away in the blurb.)

As you may have guessed from me daring you to read URBAN SHAMAN, the first book in the Walker Papers, I'm a big fan of the series. Seven books in, I'm still completely hooked.

At this point in the series, Joanne's quite different from th
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Riddle me this, why does Joanne have to learn everything the hard way? At this point, I'm just as tired as Joanne. Reading through all the trials and tribulations she goes through makes me weary and I'm just the reader. In this new installment of Walker Papers, Joanne is in Ireland. She felt a pulling in her gut and races over to there to do what she feels she must do. She wrecks havoc.

The short summary of this story is she fought, won and lost. People died. I want to discuss Joanne. This is one
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

RAVEN CALLS, the seventh book in The Walker Papers series, continues a long journey of discovery and growth for shaman, Joanne Walker as she reconnects with her Irish roots and learns more about her family history through her ability to time travel. By RAVEN CALLS, she seems to have a handle on most of her powers, but I would love to go back and read the first few books where she was just starting to get used to being a shaman to see her growth througho
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Unfortunately not the best book in the series. It suffers from lack of clear direction and plot confusion. The writing, which I usually love, is jumbled and at times repetitive.

I still love Jo and can't wait for the next adventure. I will say that this does suffer from a lack of Morrison and (view spoiler)
Dianne
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-arcs
Raven Calls – C.E. Murphy

All I can say is ---WOW. What a book. This has to be the best that C. E. Murphy has produced in this series yet. While I normally hate books that deal too much with history, (history of a religion, pantheons, witchcraft …anything) in this book the ‘teaching’ was absolutely painless, It was actually fun learning the’ history’ of these Legends and about the Fey.
In this book Joanne has to find out how to stop from turning into a were-wolf, find her best friend Gary who has
Laurie: Almost Faemous
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Originally Posted http://ufreview.com/2012/03/06/raven-...

Review:

When I was looking through the available arcs on NetGalley and came across this one I jumped all over it, I have loved this series from the beginning and couldn't believe my luck when I got an email saying "here's your copy go read and review" ok I paraphrased a little but I was really excited! I was not disappointed unlike the previous six books this story takes place in Ireland and most of the minor characters you come to expect
Kim
May 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: has-read
To say I was disappointed with this book would be an understatement.

It picks up right where we left off, with Jo leaving to go to Ireland with the thought of getting the werewolf bite healed. Of course way more things go awry.

The pros about this book.. Gary. Actually for that was really the only pro.

After we had gotten so far last book with the relationship between Morrison & Jo. With her accepting her powers and finally embracing them.. Well this story took a huge leap back.

Not only is Morr
Betsy
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I rarely give C.E. Murphy's books GREAT ratings. Why? Because I am not in touch with my inner shaman. Why do I go back? Because I LOVE her characters. The first one hundred pages of Raven Calls were absolutely great for me - I was smiling, enjoying myself and wondering if I was finally "getting it". I was ready to give a 4.5 stars, heck maybe even 5 stars. I enjoyed those 100 pages more than I have any of her others. I can deal with fae, legends, magic, even SIGHT. But once we move on to astral ...more
Barbara ★
I'm definitely in the minority here but I thought this book was below par. I've always found time travel fascinating but Joanne jumps back and forth through time meeting all kinds of people, defeating all kinds of evil. I didn't recognize many of the people she was meeting so I couldn't put things in any kind of sequence. I just found it all so confusing. I thought her ability to time travel was interesting at first since she basically did it accidentally but instantly she was an expert? Yeah it ...more
Reese
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
I like this series but I felt like this book was a big misstep. For one, Joanne was ridiculously immature, abrasive, and dumb. It's not like she's ever fully had her shit together but it's like she took about a thousand steps back from the progress she'd made in the first six books. Additionally, part of my love for this series is the ensemble and their relationships with Joanne. For the most part Gary and Coyote were absent for the action, Morrison only popped up in a couple of phone calls, and ...more
Annarella
A bit confusing and not the best in the series. From time to time the heroine is both dimwitted and definetly rude and seems that all the evolution and changes she underwent are completely lost.
Ben Truong
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Raven Calls is the seventh book in the Walker Papers series written by C.E. Murphy and centred on Joanne Walker (born Siobhán Walkingstick) is a half-Cherokee/half-Irish, was a Seattle Police Officer and mechanic who so happen to be a shaman.

Joanne Walker has just quit her job as a police officer and haven been bitten from a werewolf (Spirit Dances). After receiving a vision, she believes that she could find a cure back in Ireland. Therefore, she boards a plane in hopes her visions were correct.
Jennifer Gottschalk
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
The start of the 'Raven Calls' was really well written and it was sufficient to make me want to read the story all the way to the end.

If you enjoy romantic fiction, you might like this series but it is fairly predictable, a bit slow at times and not as well crafted as others in the genre. The premise was good but if you have not read the preceding books in the series, then starting at book 7 means there are bits that don't make all that much sense.

It's OK holiday fare but is definitely not at th
Donna
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heroines
Fast-moving action and a shaman heroine learning and growing at a stumbling run. JoAnne's momentum is a stumbling run while navigating her path as both a healer and warrior in this series. This tale was especially engaging and follows quickly after her emergence as a shape-shifter. New skills stretched to the limit as previous hasty decisions build to a crescendo during a decisive battle with a powerful enemy. Various friends and relatives appear and reappear to bolster her amidst painful and he ...more
Erin
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
3/4 - pg. 56 - realizing that sometimes the internal monologuing can drag a bit and is inconveniently placed. It's distracting and irritating as it seems like it's always during an action sequence or a pivotal scene and I find myself impatiently skimming to get back to the scene. I then have to go back and reread.

Ok. I have been anticipating this book ever since I finished the last one. Ms. Murphy's series is fantastic and addicting and always seem to end on cliffhangers! A pet peeve with any o
Sara
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Kristy Alexander
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this series so much. To me, this is what an urban fantasy should be, mixing fantasy with modern times, maybe some romance but mostly focused on the action. I did miss Morrison in this book, though he was mentioned a lot, just not enough.
Anna Wick
It's a wild ride

The series really grows on you. Duh irritating conversations with herself have lessened. She is really collecting interesting friends and allies Ireland was really fun
Kathy
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Some nice tie-ups to varying story lines for Joanne Walker (aka Siobhan Walkingstick) and an enjoyable read all-around. Some definite character maturation/growth and still an engaging and quick read.
Elisabet
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
C.E. Murphy and the great narrator do not disappoint as Joanne Walker or her other names. I love these tales and the series and all her people who stand at her back, to give her support in impossible situations. I look forward to listen to this series on audio book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Walker Papers: Raven Calls review 9 36 Apr 17, 2012 09:32PM

• Winter Moon (Walker Papers, #1.5)
  • Magic Without Mercy (Allie Beckstrom, #8)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Tricks of the Trade (Paranormal Scene Investigations, #3)
  • Seawitch (Greywalker, #7)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
  • Kitty Steals the Show (Kitty Norville, #10)
  • Killing Rites (The Black Sun's Daughter, #4)
  • Better Off Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #4)
  • Shadows Before the Sun (Charlie Madigan, #4)
  • Shady Lady (Corine Solomon, #3)
C.E. Murphy is a writer of fantasy novels and short stories. She also writes "action-adventure romance" novels under the pseudonym Cate Dermody, which was her grandmother's maiden name.

Walker Papers (9 books)
  • Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1)
  • Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2)
  • Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3)
  • Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)
  • Demon Hunts (Walker Papers, #5)
  • Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6)
  • Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)
  • Shaman Rises (Walker Papers, #9)
“You went back in time,” he repeated, “and you expect his cell phone to work?”
“Well, no, I just, I mean, I came back and he hasn’t! Shouldn’t he have?”
Morrison, very steadily, said, “Were you together?”
“No! I just said he went to fight the Morrigan!”
“I see.” There was a pause. “The man is seventy-four years old, Joanie. He can take care of himself. If you were,” a great and patient pause filled the line before he went on, “time traveling. If you were time traveling and got separated, then I can’t think of any reason he would necessarily come back to the present at the same time you did.”
“Except I was the focal point, it was my fault, it --!”
“Joanne. Siobhan. Siobhan Grainne MacNamarra Walkingstick.”
I didn’t think anybody had ever said my name like that before. I gulped down a hysterical sob and whispered, “Yeah?”
Morrison, with gentle emphasis, said, “I love you. Now pull yourself together and go find the bad guy,” and hung up.”
17 likes
“Nobody who loved life and new experiences that much was ever going to get old, not really. Wiser and eventually dead, maybe, but not old.” 9 likes