Start by marking “The Early Ayn Rand: A Selection from Her Unpublished Fiction” as Want to Read:
The Early Ayn Rand: A Selection from Her Unpublished Fiction

The Early Ayn Rand: A Selection from Her Unpublished Fiction

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  889 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
This remarkable, newly revised collection of Ayn Rand's early fiction-including her previously unpublished short story The Night King-ranges from beginner's exercises to excerpts from early versions of We the Living and The Fountainhead.
Paperback, Signet Edition, 434 pages
Published December 1986 by Signet (first published August 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Early Ayn Rand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Early Ayn Rand

sologdin
Part IX of a multi-part review series.

Juvenilia & outtakes. Forgettable shorts and irrational realist dramas. Scenes from We the Living and The Fountainhead that were left on the cutting room floor, but that editor thinks are interesting. Several texts are pre-McCarthy red scare, trite even in the 1930s.

Most interesting bits are Peikoff’s editorial comments.

For instance, “the novels of the mature Ayn Rand contain superlative values that are unique in our age” (vii).

We find no outtakes from A
Nick
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gigantic book, but full of great stuff. There are some more "conventional" plot types especially early in the book, but since Rand is writing them they come across as totally distinctive in terms of characters, motivation, description of setting, etc. Since she is a philosophical novelist its interesting to see which concepts come across most strongly in which stories. Like the real cheery ones are all about how life's default state is gaiety and joy, and the darker ones are all about the strugg ...more
Marilag
For all Leonard Peikoff's periodically pointing out that Ayn Rand's grasp of English was poor in the beginning of her writing years, it is still much better than a lot of native English writing today. Sure, some of the phrasing was a little awkward, and I cringed a bit at her attempt at capturing the slang in "The Night King," but overall her style and sense of the dramatics hasn't disappeared.

I actually liked some of her earlier works, and a little sad that she didn't further develop her more h
Lisa (Harmonybites)
This is a collection of Ayn Rand's early unpublished fiction. I wouldn't recommend this to someone not already a fan of her writing. If I weren't already, I don't know that I'd consider any piece here a standout (with the exception of the 1939 play, Think Twice.). To a fan it definitely has it's fascinations however, seeing the flashes of genius even in the earliest works here, where her "command of English" (Rand emigrated from Russia in the twenties) was still shaky. I have to say though, most ...more
Rivka G
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This collection of Rand's early works demonstrates the radical improvements in the author's writing, stylistically and philosophically. Readers should be forewarned that many pieces are very different from Rand's later work, as she developed her philosophy and writing skills. Readers can mark her progress, and this makes the excerpts all the more enjoyable.

Two of the best pieces include "Good Copy" and "Think Twice."
"Good Copy" is drastically different from Rand's later writing - the piece is
Sweety
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ayn-rand
Even as a beginner, Ayn does not seem like a fumbling amateur. She displayed crisp self-editing, the power of visual-evocation and occasionally, even a breezy sense of humor.
My favorites include :

Vesta Dunning: Howard's pre-Dominique passion (I wrote romantic interest and then erased it. Romance seems too frivolous an emotion for Howard.)It contains some of her best lines, which were ultimately gleaned from here and put in the final version.

Think Twice: Her pre-Altas Shrugged mixture of scienc
Christopher
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of the early works by novelist and philosopher Ayn Rand (author of "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead").

The collection is worth the price simply for Dr. Leonard Peikoff's analysis of Rand's literary method in the preface to the passages on "The Fountainhead". Even though this book is unedited material, it still surpasses the quality of work of just about any author. There are some excellent stories in this collection, with the highlight on "Red Pawn", a sort of prec
Tokoro
3.5
***** for "A Good Copy," (1920s) the character of Steve Ingalls from the "Think Twice" whodunit play (1930s), and what was cut from the final version of "The Fountainhead"— which had what Leonard Peikoff described as her best writing and so far. I agree, as well as characterization of Howard Roark here.
****ish for Red Dawn (1930s), but I was not pleased with how she ended it.

I got it on a whim to see what the development of her mind and writing looked like, to hopefully contribute to understa
John Bruni
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty interesting book, mostly because it gives us stories from Ayn Rand before she was Ayn Rand. For example, I had no idea that she used to be a genre writer. She's got a few stories in here that could have come from O. Henry's mind. In another story, Rand comes off sounding like Raymond Chandler. It's a whole new side to her I've never seen before. There's also a pretty interesting play in here about what happens when a disgraced Hollywood starlet goes on the lam and starts hiding ...more
Juliana Es
Jun 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
The Early Ayn Rand is a collection of the author's unpublished works. Her early twenties short stories such as Red Pawn, Good Copy, and Her Second Career, though not considered masterpiece, are very engaging and leave a strong impression. These are stories that you will not forget easily.

If you are a beginner in Ayn Rand, this book is a good start. Her unpublished works may be flawed, but they are unique and strong, which spark my curiosity and set my interest to explore the author's famous work
Andrea
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book shows how much it's possible to improve if you put your mind to it. I was also really happy to read shorter stories of Rand's, and see more of how her ideology has evolved through the years! I don't doubt I'll go back to this book at times, and read stories like Good Copy and Ideal over again. I also greatly enjoyed the unpublished parts from We the Living and The Fountainhead. Definitely a must-read for those who enjoyed Ayn Rand's other novels.
Isla McKetta
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Better than I thought it would be, this book is not just for the devoted Rand fan. Although if you're looking for characters that are more than archetypes and an emphasis on the real rather than the ideal, this won't be your book. Still the stories and plays are forceful and compelling and it is interesting to have insight into Rand's process as she learns both English and how to write. I did have one chuckle when the editor (a Rand devotee) lauded Rand's concision.
Jessica Blethen
I absolutely love Ayn Rand. I own every book she has written (I think). I love how she illustrates the way of life in Soviet Russia through a first hand knowledge in her first works and how she plays them into her stories. She is amazing. The philosophies behind her greatest works are AMAZING. She is... amazing in herself.
JP
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peikoff talks a lot about her maturing during the 20+ year span here, but her work is interesting from the beginning. In some ways, we see the raw stuff of which her later ideas and characters were formed. Most of the works are captivating, including: The Husband I Bought, Good Copy, Her Second Career, Red Pawn, Ideal, and Think Twice.
Sabrina Ryan
Interesting compilation of Ayn Rand's early short stories - her first written stories in English upon arriving in America. It is interesting to see her progression of mastering the English language and has many twisting plot stories that are sometimes great and sometimes lacking.
Rich
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent examples of her writing. A good primer for those who do not want to attack Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead first.
Jenna
It's a very good unpublished story of Ms. Ayn Rand, and it's worth reading..
Kimberlee Jane
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another short read. The Warrior story... definitely a must-read for Ayn Rand fans.
Elise Baker
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars only applies to "The Husband I Bought". The rest is interesting reading from the perspective of seeing a developing author. Some of it is funny, as well.
Chuck D
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gives a more in-depth look at her mind
Hawkgrrrl
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Ah, the allure of "unpublished fiction" of a beloved author. Like the siren song. Steer your ships away from this one unless you are really in for the long haul.
Karen
Apr 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of short fiction
A perhaps different side of Rand, which delve into the humble roots of her school of thought.
Ying
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read The Husband I Bought!
Joseph
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Some good short stories such as The Husband I Bought, Good Copy, and Red Pawn. Overall, worth reading.
Readerbug
Jul 30, 2014 marked it as to-read
Laura Wilson
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The short stories in this book blew me away. I loved it.
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was a nice read but it struck me how silly she was when she wrote these stories. Silly due to inexperience, not due to stupidity. But unbelievably silly nevertheless.
Adam
May 09, 2007 rated it it was ok
Objectivism would be great if you guys would do it first. Rand's sentences are so ugly.
Mikias
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It is a good collection, particularly the firts story The Husband I Bought is awsome.
  • Ayn Rand Answers: The Best of Her Q & A
  • Understanding Objectivism: A Guide to Learning Ayn Rand's Philosophy
  • Free Market Revolution: How Ayn Rand's Ideas Can End Big Government
  • Driving Blind
  • Ayn Rand and the World She Made
  • The Capitalist Manifesto: The Historic, Economic and Philosophic Case for Laissez-Faire
  • Mama's Boy and Other Dark Tales
  • Goddess of the Market: Ayn Rand and the American Right
  • Jack Frake (Sparrowhawk, #1)
  • Screwjack: A Short Story
  • The Best Early Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • My Years with Ayn Rand
  • How It Ended: New and Collected Stories
  • The Logical Leap: Induction in Physics
  • Mrs. Dalloway's Party: A Short Story Sequence
  • I Am John Galt: Today's Heroic Innovators Building the World and the Villainous Parasites Destroying It
  • Martha Washington Saves the World
  • The Essential Writings of Machiavelli
Alisa Rosenbaum was born in pre-revolutionary St. Petersburg to a prosperous Jewish family. When the Bolsheviks requisitioned the pharmacy owned by her father, Fronz, the Rosenbaums fled to the Crimea. Alisa returned to the city (renamed Leningrad) to attend the university, but in 1926 relatives who had already settled in America offered her the chance of joining them there. With money from the sa ...more
More about Ayn Rand...
“Everyone has the right to make his own decisions, but none has the right to force his decision on others.” 40 likes
“...нет ничего невозможного для того, кто умеет ждать.
"Ночной король”