Start by marking “The Poison Paradox: Chemicals as Friends and Foes” as Want to Read:
The Poison Paradox: Chemicals as Friends and Foes

The Poison Paradox: Chemicals as Friends and Foes

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Every day we are surrounded by chemicals that are potentially harmful. Some of these we take intentionally in the form of drugs; some we take unknowingly through the food we eat, and the environment around us.

John Timbrell explores what makes particular chemicals harmful, what their effects are, and how we can test for them. He examines drugs such as Paracetamol and what i
Published September 2nd 2005 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published February 9th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Poison Paradox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poison Paradox

Sue
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it. The author explained that he tried to keep the scientific terms to a minimum . . . and he did. Includes pictures, and he wrote about mundane topics that would interest anyone.

I started to lose interest when I began to find errors:

~~ Error: ~~
Page 12: he says battery acid is "hydrochloric acid,"
and a little lower (same page) he calls it "sulfuric acid".
First one is wrong.

Page 13: he spells jewellery instead of jewelry.
Joseph
Jun 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: freshmen-4
okay so what is this book really about? well the title really actually gives the reader everything already becasue what cold get more simpler than "chemcials as friends and foes"? seriously,the book was kind of similar to "the hundred year lie" writeen by Randall Fitzgerald, however i think this book goes into detail just a little more. even more than the stuff in the "hundred year lie", the poison paradox is like all the foods that people eat and the itty bitty stuff people never knew about the ...more
Tapani Aulu
Feb 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Hmmm. Hmmmm. Paracelsuksen periaate "annos tekee myrkyn" tuli tutuksi viimeistään 10. kerralla kun se mainitaan. Toisin sanoen seuraavat 30 kertaa olisi varmaankin voinut jättää poiskin.

Tämä oli kuuntelemistani äänikirjoista kaikin puolin surkein kuunneltava. Jotkut kirjat eivät vain sovellu äänikirjoiksi. Ei ole kovin mielekästä kun joka sivulla on jotain lisätietolaatikoita ja graafeja ja muuta sälää. Eli ehkä kirja ei ihan niin tylsä ja huono ollut kuin miltä vaikutti. Mutta kun vaikutti.
Rainey Fleming