Start by marking “Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, Volume 1

Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, Volume 1

(The Dark Crystal)

Part one of a three-part graphic novel prequel series delving into the origins of the Skeksis, Mystics, Gelflings, the world of Thra, and The Dark Crystal itself. Spanning a time period from thousands of years ago to right up to the start of the original film, this graphic novel epic will tell the definitive origin of The Dark Crystal, under the supervision of The Jim Hens ...more
Published December 28th 2011 by Archaia (first published November 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Gabrielle
I have been revisiting a few childhood favorites this year, especially my holy trinity of VHS tapes I watched so much they ended up blurry : “The Last Unicorn”, “The Flight of Dragons” and “The Dark Crystal”. I have always been a fan of genuinely scary fairy tales, thanks to those movies, and there are images and lines from all three of them that haunt me to this day. You can imagine how excited I was to learn Netflix has “The Dark Crystal” prequel show due for the late summer: the little girl i ...more
Chad
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Written in conjunction with the designer of the Dark Crystal, Brian Froud. This is a gorgeously rendered origin story of the world of the Dark Crystal. I can't see any fan of the movie not liking this.
Andrew
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had heard of new material for Jim Henson's Dark Crystal (along with his Labyrinth too) But I was not quite sure what it was or more importantly what sort of quality it was - after all I remember the manga style Labyrinth books which thankfully I didnt invest in.

So when I came across these books I will admit I was more than a little skeptical however after being allowed to read a few pages (they were all sealed) I thought why not. Not only was the artwork amazing the story had the same strange
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
The Dark Crystal is a favorite movie of mine. I love Brian Froud's genius characters and the way Jim Henson made them into muppets. When I heard there were graphic novels being made, of course I was very excited! I got Vol. 1 for Christmas. The cover is beautiful, I only wish the rest of the illustrations were as good. They're not. I don't like the look of the artwork inside.
The stories are broken into little vignettes about the beginning stages of Thra and Thra's "Earth mother" Aughra. It's a
Adam Matthews
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved the movie and the back story in this graphic novel felt true to the film. Great artwork as well. Hoping they make a part 2.
Dave
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I was an 80s kid and watched (and loved) a ton of the era's fantasy movies - KRULL, WILLOW, DRAGONSLAYER, EXCALIBUR, and so on. THE DARK CRYSTAL was one that eluded me. Too, well, dark, and I often felt its characters just felt like pawns on a chessboard - not like vibrant characters forging their own destiny.

But...I still want to like it. I like parts of it. I love its visuals. I even own it - you know, in the off chance I somehow warm up to it.

And I might. I found myself reading CREATION MYTHS
Lindsay
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I admit it. I'm guilty of sitting in Chapters to read this book. I've always felt like it was somehow cheating to do this, but I thought I should try it at least once. And it was great (once I got past the feeling that everyone was silently judging me)! I highly recommend it. ;)

It has been years since I watched the movie, and to be honest, it scared the crap out of me. In fact, 25 years have passed and I still haven't recovered from my childhood trauma. But... the thought of a prequel in graphic
Cameron Crawford
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
I feel horrible rating this so low. I wanted to love it, but this book as with so many other expanded universe writings, seems to have taken the source material it was based upon and ignored all desire to preserve the mystery and ambiance.

The premise is odd. Basically it turns out that all the characters we know from the movie all happen to be related to the few events we know from the movie and very few other people were involved. The movie leaves us with the feeling that there is a huge wide
Nicole
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story about what happened BEFORE the movie.
Liz B
Pretty boring. It's exactly what it says it is--creation myths. And the problem with that is--well, it seems like an awfully narrow audience. Maybe people who loved the movie who simply cannot get enough of the world? I think the elements that made the movie so powerful are utterly missing here. There is no conflict. No danger. No evil. No mysteries to uncover.

I can't imagine that anyone new to the story (e.g., someone who'd never seen the movie) would be interested at all.

It's possible I'll rea
Shaina
Highly recommended if you love Dark Crystal and ever wondered things like .. How did Kira get wings? Where did Aughra come from? What was Thra like before the crystal cracked? And a lot of other questions. Really neat stories. Love them.
Karissa
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first graphic novel in a graphic novel trilogy that delves into the mythos behind how the world presented in The Dark Crystal came to be. This was an absolutely wonderful read. It adds a lot of background to the Dark Crystal story (although I will admit it's probably been 15-20 years since I've watched the original movie). This stands alone very nicely and the artwork was absolutely stunning.

This book is mainly the story of Aughra, in this series she is portrayed a more revenant Eart
Stefan
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I remember going to the movie theater as a child to watch the Dark Crystal. I own the movie and have watched it several times with my kids. They love it as much as I do. I always wondered about the origin of the Crystal, Aughra, and the terrible event that caused the splintering of the Crystal. I was pleased to find that these events had been published in graphic novel form. I read the first book in under an hour and was transported back to my childhood and the wonder and amazement of watching t ...more
Cale
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I've watched the Dark Crystal, but I didn't feel at all lost with this collection, which serves as a prequel to the movie, and expands on significant portions of the story of the world, with a few of the movie's characters being prominent as well, namely Aughra. The story feels complete in itself, and really does expand on the world of the Dark Crystal, and is beautifully illustrated as well. Any fan would do well to read this.
Frans Karlsson
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-fantasy
Great artwork and interesting story. This book focuses on the creation of the Dark crystal world.
April
God I love Brian Fourd and Jim Henson's worlds. They're stunning and compliment each other to no end. Like most people, I watched The Dark Crystal when I was a kid and loved it; it was a mind-bending, strikingly mystical world to be looked at in awe. Creation Myths acts as a building block in the Dark Crystal mythos, particularly with the origin of famed character Aughra and how she came to be such a respected force in Thra. As much as I enjoyed it, I have to agree with other reviews in that it' ...more
Travis
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy, adventure
Sumptuous return to Henson's bizarre ecological mythrealm. Narratively simple by design and necessity, this pulls off the vital trick of feeling of a part with the original film. Tonally it fits right in, rather than coming off as some well-intentioned but ill-conceived fanfic (you can surely think of at least a couple late-life expansions of a beloved property that shat the bed in such a manner). Beautifup art, flowery language, a slightly unsettlimg, otherworldly mood - it ticks all the boxes, ...more
John
This is a very imaginative origin story based on the classic film "The Dark Crystal" from Jim Henson and Brian Froud. The book is imaginatively and graphically stunning. It took some directions I had not expected, but made perfect sense in the universe presented in the film. I am looking forward to finishing Volume 2.
Zoe
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The beginning before the movie. I really enjoyed reading this and seeing what has happened to explain things I had not known when I watched the movie. As a comic it speaks louder to you. Ready to read the next volume!
Teresa Barrera
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic art.
Nicollette Winiewicz
Brilliantly written and gorgeously illustrated! I loved learning the back story of some of my favorite characters from my childhood!
GooseberryCompote
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-ya, fic
Aughra is made of tree roots, no wonder I always liked her!
Cornerofmadness
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is, just as the title suggests, the original myths of Jim Henson’s world of the Dark Crystal. There aren’t words for how much I loved that movie as a child. Brian Froud was the art designer for the movie and one of the driving forces for this, the first in a trilogy of graphic novels set in this world.

It begins in the beginning, literally, the birth of the world Thra with its crystal heart. The world, in turn gave birth to a sort of mother-goddess Aughra who travels the world, learning, tal
Chris
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. Exquisite artwork that emulates the character designs and overall feel of the original film, and lovingly tells the backstory of the world of Thra before the Crystal cracked.

My only qualms are pretty minor, but I couldn't help but feel that Aughra's character in this book was extremely reverent, and depicted as an Earth Goddess, whereas in the film she is wise but haggard and ridiculous as well. It seems they've taken that character and made her one-dimensional here, which i
Gaelan D'costa
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a pretty awesome addendum to the Dark Crystal universe.

First off, if you loved Dark Crystal's aesthetic, you will probably be rubbing your hands up and down this book all the time, especially the cover, which is textured in a way you'll want to cradle on nights beside the fire.

The "creation" part of the creation myths is a little murky, no worse than many actual traditions where cornerstones of the world were ... always there, or manifested without further explanation.

The late
Lindsay
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't necessarily expecting much of this book, but I was pleasantly surprised! Doesn't hurt that it touches on not a little nostalgia. :) I'm now eager to read the remaining volumes to find out how everything led to the rise of the Skeksis, and I can't wait to watch The Dark Crystal again.

********
Panels Read Harder: Adaptation of a movie/TV show.
Jakk Makk
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
A level art, D level stories. Hopefully the myths come to some meaningful event in later volumes, but this book does not stand on its own.
Berber
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook-e-book
Expected more from these. The story is bare bones and the art inside can't compare to Froud's beautiful covers.
Brian
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I checked this out on a whim after searching Dark Crystal-related books at the Chicago Public Library, and when I saw it was illustrated by Brian Froud I knew it would be worth reading for the art alone. The art is indeed the best part, since the story inside is mostly setup.

It's the problem with prequels is that it can sometimes be hard to hold the audience's interest if we already know what's going to happen. Going in, I knew that the urSkeks weren't benevolent travelers coming to spread light
Stacy
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the Dark Crystal! I had no expectations about this story going into it. I didn't know what the premise was, how it related to the movie, or even if it would feature the same characters.

The first volume introduces some of the background for the movie characters. Some of the other reviews I read were disappointed in that concept as they seem to have been expecting a grander view of the Dark Crystal world. I think there is a lot opportunity to explore other creatures in other stories, and I
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field
  • Bravest Warriors Vol. 2
  • Jim Henson's Tale of Sand
  • Orcs: Forged for War
  • Battlepug: Volume 1 (Battlepug, #1)
  • Mouse Guard: Baldwin the Brave and Other Tales
  • Scales & Scoundrels, Vol. 1: Into The Dragon’s Maw
  • The Stuff of Legend, Book 2: The Jungle (The Stuff of Legend, #2)
  • A Flight of Angels
  • Iron: Or, the War After
  • The Griffin Mage Trilogy (Griffin Mage, #1-3)
Brian Froud is an award-winning illustrator, author, and faery authority. His books include the international best-sellers Faeries, Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book, Lady Cottington's Fairy Album, and The Faeries' Oracle. He also served as the conceptual designer on Jim Henson's films The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Froud lives in Devon, England.
----------------------

"I paint the spirit and s

The Dark Crystal (4 books)
  • Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, Volume 2
  • Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, Volume 3
  • Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal Creation Myths: The Complete Collection
“Wish not for treasure you can hold,
No gleaming jewels, bright and cold,
For finer still than pearl or gold,
The treasure of a tale well told...”
0 likes
“The folly and the glory of the world... the wild, the wise and the wicked... the hero, the madman, the wanderer and the fool... the earth, the seas, the wild heavens... are all part of an endless, unfolding tapestry, woven by time and hemmed by memory.” 0 likes