Start by marking “The Raging Quiet” as Want to Read:
The Raging Quiet

The Raging Quiet

A newcomer to the tiny village of Tocurra befriends a young man whose deafness has left him isolated from his fellow villagers. Marnie and Raver learn to communicate through a series of hand gestures, but when a death shakes the village, their special, silent bond causes the two to fall under suspicion of witchcraft. A compelling, romantic, and revealing story for young re ...more
Published April 27th 2004 by Simon Pulse (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Raging Quiet, please sign up.
Nickel Vyas child marriage, Deaf boy, people think Marnie is a Witch. Set it the medieval times. Amazing. Beautiful. Heart-capturing. Love. Betrayal. Death.…morechild marriage, Deaf boy, people think Marnie is a Witch. Set it the medieval times. Amazing. Beautiful. Heart-capturing. Love. Betrayal. Death. Fights and some sex. Husband falls off roof. Funny. other stuff!! Just read it!!!(less)

Emily May
4.5 stars. I never imagined I would enjoy this as much as I did. This book has been on my mental TBR list since long before I even had a goodreads account, because it seems that everyone who reads it recommends it to me and yet it's taken me so long to get around to it. I would guess The Raging Quiet struggles to find an audience when historical fiction is not very popular in YA, and especially the ones that don't feature corsets and dramatic love affairs.

Possibly the first thing I noticed and l
Lora
It isn't often that I begin writing a review with trepidation and insecurities, thinking that my thoughts and feelings can't possibly do the book justice. This isn't because I have a great esteem for myself; no, it is because, while a lot of what I read I enjoy, I'm not fooling myself into thinking that the majority of it is what most would consider quality literature. It is with those kinds of books that I figure that whatever I type should suffice. But there are those times, like when I review ...more
Reynje
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Raging Quiet is without doubt a Rey-The-Teen-Years book. Which is not to say it is not a Rey-Now book, (it is), but this is the sort of novel I would have adored without reservation in high school. As a teenager that read almost exclusively classics and historical literature of any kind, and possibly had somewhat overly romantic ideas about life, I would have been completely enamoured with Jordan’s sweeping story of love triumphing over evil.

The deliberate ambiguity of the setting and time p
Tatiana
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of "Daughter of the Forest"
Shelves: historical, 2011, ya
The Raging Quiet is a teen-oriented mix of The Scarlet Letter, Tess of the D'Urbervilles and The Crucible. A story of a woman who dares to be different and has to be punished for it.

Marnie has had it coming. First, she marries a wealthy older man (who cares if she does it only to save her family from poverty) and moves with him into his decrepit and allegedly cursed house in a seaside village populated by ignorant bigots. When Marnie's husband suddenly and accidentally dies, all attention focuse
Kerri Duff
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been trying to remember the title of this one for years! Today I bought a copy of another book by the author, The Anger of Angels, and it mentioned this book on the cover. While I had to check to be sure, I knew that I had finally found it! I read it it at least 10 years ago, loved it, and clearly it meant enough to me that my inability to remember the title so I could buy my own copy was a persistent bother to me!
I'll have to find a copy and reread it, but for now I'm just so excited to
Linda
Chapter One

The afternoon Marnie came to Torcurra, the villagers were whipping the devils out of a mad boy. She knew he was mad by the way he cried, his voice high and unnatural, with no words but only strange, wild sounds.

Witnessed by the sixteen-year-old, there was nothing she could do. After all, it was her wedding day. Her new husband, the much-older Isake, stopped their wagon to purchase an ale before heading to their cottage on the beach. Marnie watched at a distance while a priest came run
kari
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: older teens and adults
Shelves: 5-star, 2009, ya
I think this book was "moon-good beautiful." The characters grabbed me from the first page and kept my interest all the way through. I thought they were well-developed and grew in lots of great ways during the course of the story. I couldn't read it fast enough, wanting to know what happened next.
The characters of Raven and Marnie, both injured in different ways from the world they live in, each struggling to make a life, are people you want to see succeed. All the various threads are pulled tog
Ivy
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of romance, lovers of Scarlet Letter type books
What a beautiful book! I thank my goodreads pals for recommending this gem of a book which takes place a very long time ago, when people believed in witchcraft and faeries.

Marnie is a young woman of sixteen years who is forced into marriage with an older man to save her family from certain poverty when her father is struck down by illness and can no longer perform his duties as overseer on their lord's estate.

Luke Isherwood, Marnie's husband, is one of the lord's sons and his inheritance is an o
Arlene
A Raging Quiet by Sherryl Jordon is such a flawlessly written novel. I was truly captivated by the characters, plot and setting. Despite the setting of the novel being historical, the message resonates to any time and place. This book is about people's prejudices and ignorance, and about a girl being wrongly accused, where her only crime is being different than others.

Marnie is a newlywed girl of sixteen who is taken to a seaside cottage by her husband, Isake, who is more than twice her age and
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cassi aka Snow White by: Catie
Shelves: ya, read-in-2011
The Raging Quiet is a book I never would have read. The cover is juvenile at best, cheesy at worst. It's a romance and I'm a tomboy. Yes sometimes I have girly moments (Archer Cross, Peeta Mellark, I'm looking at you) but I didn't think I could read a straight-up romance. My friends on goodreads told me to read this book. They said it was a romance, but it wasn't that type of romance.

They were right.

The Raging Quiet is not like the romances I've avoided. The characters are well developed and the
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
4.5 stars! Just so we're clear, I had NO idea what this book was about. I didn't read the synopsis, I didn't read reviews, nothing. I think part of that is why I liked the book so much. I came in with a clean slate, not knowing anything (other than I didn't like the cover), and I really believe it was a bonus. Everything was new and a surprise. I personally think the synopsis gives away a lot. Especially the jacket flap, if you get the hardcover version DO NOT read the flap, it practically tells ...more
Catie
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book really took me by surprise on many levels. It's highly simplistic - there's Marnie, Raven, and the priest who are all open-minded and then there's everyone else, who are all ignorant as the day is long. The black and white nature of the characters did prevent me from really buying into this book completely, but I think it's meant to be more of a fantasy. It's a bit like a fairy tale, but I've always been a sucker for those and I totally fell for this one too. The romance is sweet and i ...more
~Tina~
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Raging Quiet is a beautiful treasured story that is written with passion and grace.
It's a story about people who don't understand those who are different and how prejudice can be judged harshly and cruelly. It's story about acceptance and the power of love.

I absolutely feel in love with Marnie and Raven. Marnie is so kind and loving and what she did, what's she's done for Raven was inspiring and heartwarming.
Raven is such a joyous character, so tender and kind. No doubt, one of the sweetest
Glaiza
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been so long since I've just sat down and stayed glued to a book until I reached the last page. One of the best friendships I've read in a book. The characters are what really hook you into this story. The setting is also vivid and atmospheric - evoking serious prosy envy. Recommended to anyone seeking really good YA.
Austral Scout
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It reads like classic lore and perfectly captures the hysteria of the period, and yet through that darkness the triumph of the human spirit makes it a really uplifting, hug-to-your-chest kind of book.

Full review here:
Tish
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet, if kind of scary, story of two misfits who find true love. What was scary was the ignorance and maliciousness of most of the villagers towards anyone the least bit new or different. The book takes place in an era where the "Christian" people are all too eager to beat the devil out of a seemingly crazy boy and to accuse a girl of witchcraft on nothing but hearsay. Fortunately, the village priest was kind and did his best for the boy, the girl, and even the villagers.

One thing that I thou
drea
Aug 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything I heard about this book I heard from Goodreads friends, who rated it very highly as a lost YA classic. I managed to track down a used copy on Paperback Swap, and was surprised when what arrived was a retired library hardcover, complete with a sticker on the spine and little plastic slipcase. It turned out to be very appropriate, because reading it gave me all sorts of happy memories about poking through the tiny YA section at my local library as a teenager, and discovering titles like ...more
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
I'm astonished to see this book classified as "fantasy" by so many people--I read quite a bit of fantasy and historical fiction, and this belongs solidly in the second category. There's no magic here--well, the story is about two young people who create a sign language and fall in love, which is magical in its own way, but nothing that couldn't happen in our world. And although Jordan claims in the afterward that there's something mythological about this tale because she didn't specify the histo ...more
Mary
“It’s got nothing to do with devils! He can’t hear!”

This is one of those books that sneaks up on you and honestly, I don’t understand why no one knows about this book! This is so underrated it’s criminal. It discusses what it means to be deaf, to look past each other’s differences and love them for them, and that no matter what happens, we can get stronger.

Marnie marries Isake Isherwood, the son of the Lord her family is working the lands in exchange for food and a roof over their heads. Her mo
Faith
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was written in 1999, but the story is really sort of a indefinite historical fiction. The time period is sometime during the 1700's, but the exact location is not given. All we know is that it is set in a small village by the sea.

The Raging Quiet would be a great historical peace for the classroom. Elements like persecution, potential demonic possession, and a witch trail are both exciting and fairly accurate historically. This novel would also give students to opportunity to interact
Judy
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult-fic
Once long ago, when Lords ruled and the feudal system prevailed, in a small fishing village there lived a wise priest, a young widow (married only two days), and a deaf young man who felt more at home in the wild than he did with people. Unfortunately, the villagers were suspicious of anything they didn't understand and feared that Marnie was a witch and Raven was mad. Thus the stage is set for fear and compassion, learning and love.

It's a light read, a historical romance, but one with a twist.
jesse
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of foxmask, plain kate, the near witch
this book is everything i wanted by these ten bones by clare b dunkle to be and then some!

book pairings:
plain kate by erin bow
foxmask by juliet marillier
the near witch victoria schwab
wuthering heights by emily bronte (view spoiler)
Yaqueliné
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow! I couldn't put this book down even for a minute! It's so freaking good! And the real question is: where have this book been all of my life?! It's really beautiful written and the characters just latch at you that you can't get away from them. I'm proud to say that I own this book in my book collection - well it couldn't be complete without it, really. And now I'm going to talk nonsense to strangers and non-strangers alike so it will get through their thick skull that they need to ...more
Lucy
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
A novel for young adults, this story highlights the struggle of an ahead-of-her-times girl, Marmie, and her new deaf friend, Raven, who is believed by all of the rest of the ignorant townspeople to be a madman.

Marmie meets Raven when she is brought to the town as a young bride on her wedding day, married to Isake, a lord more than twice her age. She notices Raven being beaten by townspeople as she and her husband ride into town on their wagon. While waiting for her new husband to finish getting
Marija
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, historical
Some books are just instant five for me.

What I absolutely adored in this historical was Marnie's character. That's what I would call a true, strong person. She never underestimated herself that as a woman in the medieval times she could not do work that is connected to men, yes maybe she had to give more of her energy but still, she gave it and did it. When her father had a stroke and stayed paralysed she went as his replacement to ensure her family still has the place to live in. She thatched t
Heather
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read this one in year 6, primary school. Is a book that has always stayed in my head and have read it a number of times since too. Having thought about it, the content may be a bit disturbing for young children now, but it is still a good read. I think it has stayed with me for so long as it has many points which you can relate to in one way or another. Recommended.

update: This book is about the struggle of a young boy who is deaf. A young woman is brought to the village as a wife/slave of a ri
Leah Williams
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was my favorite book when I was about eleven years old. I did a book fair project on it once- came in second place! I have carried a copy of this with me always, wherever I go. It's always on my shelf. This book grew up with me.
Elora Mitchell *Sovereign of not finishing books I start*

This was Heidi’s pick for one of our Hidden Gem buddy reads in one of my goodreads groups.
Honestly, I never would have picked this book up on my own, let alone finished it.
The main character Marnie is nothing short of a special snowflake. She can do everything she sets her mind to and fails at nothing. Not only that, but the plot of the story was made just for her. I found this quite annoying, and normally would have marked this as a DNF, but I pressed on.
I’m really glad I did.
Raver is
Elena Johansen
I enjoyed this book immensely, but a few days later, writing this review, I feel that maybe something was lacking.

I'm glad I came across this as a lost/potential YA classic. It has a good message, simply delivered. But I think that very simplicity works against it for an adult reader like myself. It lacks depth and subtlety--people are good, or they are bad. Marnie and Raven are the only two characters allowed to be a little of both, with Marnie's stubbornness leading her to sometimes poor decis
The Daydreamologist
This was lovely, and it taught me so much things I couldn't even imagine existed. I loved Marnie and Raven, though Marnie is too stubborn sometimes. I'm all for doing what you love, but as humans, we weren't created to live alone. We need one another too much for that. So I think Marnie should have made a few concessions, if for nothing other than her safety and peace. Yes, sometimes, people are extremely narrow-minded and stupid ( and the people of Torcurra were frustrating in their stupidity. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• From Far Away, Vol. 07
  • All in the Blue Unclouded Weather (The Melling Sisters, #1)
  • QQスイーパー 2 (QQ Sweeper, #2)
  • Song of the Magdalene
  • Quest for a Maid
  • Motherstone
  • The Road Home (Echo Company, #5)
  • The Forestwife (Forestwife Saga, #1)
  • 薔薇監獄の獣たち (1)
  • The Warlock's Curse (Veneficas Americana, #3)
  • The Gorgon in the Gully
  • Blue Sky Days
  • 図書館戦争 (図書館戦争, #1)
  • 私のオオカミくん 4 (Watashi no Ookami-kun, #4)
  • The Sherwood Ring
  • Whisper
  • Of Sound Mind
  • The Ramsay Scallop
Award-winning New Zealand author Sherryl Jordan began her writing career with picture books, but soon moved on to novels for older readers. Her breakthrough came with Rocco, published in the United States as A Time of Darkness, and since that time she has gone on to pen many more titles for young adult and juvenile readers that have been published both in her native New Zealand and throughout the ...more
“What is your name?' she asked.

The youth ignored her, lowering his eyelids against the sun. She repeated her question. Again he ignored her, so she touched his arm, and he turned his head and looked at her, suddenly back from his own world, his eyes wary, half afraid. But he saw no anger in her; only the stains of tears, and an awful despair. His face changed, and a look of profound sorrow and compassion came over him. Very slowly he lifted his hand and wiped the tears from her cheeks. No other man could have touched her that morning; but the mad youth, with his extraordinary tenderness, gave such a depth of consolation that she found herself leaning her cheek against his hand, and sobbing. He wept with her, and there wove between them an understanding, a unity deep and poignant and powerful.”
29 likes
“I want you to come with me when i go. But maybe you will not see your cave again, or the stonee rings where we danced. We will maybe not stay near the sea. Will you be happy?
If I can see your face, he signed, I'll be happy.
he embraced her again. For a long time they stayed with their arms about each other, and Marnie did not notice that the potatoes in the embers were burning black, or that the rabbit had jumped out of its box and was drinking the cup of ale she had placed on the hearth to warm for Father Brannan.”
8 likes