Start by marking “The Cult of LEGO” as Want to Read:
The Cult of LEGO

The Cult of LEGO

No, this isn't a book about joining some fringe cult. It's a book by LEGO® fans, for LEGO fans, and you and your kids will love it.

In The Cult of LEGO, Wired's GeekDad blogger John Baichtal and BrickJournal founder Joe Meno take you on a magnificent, illustrated tour of the LEGO community, its people, and their creations.

The Cult of LEGO introduces us to fans and builders from all walks of life. People like professioncreations.

Theit.

In

Published November 2nd 2011 by No Starch Press (first published October 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Cult of LEGO, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cult of LEGO

Melki
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
description

Though I can frequently be found cursing the sharp, pointy little bricks as I extract them from the soles of my feet, I'm actually a pretty big LEGO fan. But . . . I am NOTHING like the AFOLs (Adult Fan Of LEGO) who populate this book.

These people are INSANE! And, their amazing creations are making their way into art galleries, and museums.

This book does a fairly good job of exploring all things LEGO - from MINIFIG mania to gigantic recreations of Yankee Stadium and the Acropolis.

description
Sean Kenney finishes his masterpiece.

Bruce Gargoyle

Ten Second Synopsos:
A coffee-table sized exploration of the social imapct of LEGO from its earliest inception through to new developments and applications.

When I checked this one out of the library I expected that it would be the kind of book that I would idly flick through during points of boredom, but I actually ended up reading it cover to cover. This was no mean feat given that the book is a hefty, coffee-table sized tome, but I like to think that holdi
Lee Battersby
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
For such a large book, written by authors with such credibility within the Lego community, this ends up feeling somewhat slight, without a great deal of depth in each separate subject and with too many areas of the hobby barely touched upon or skimmed across with no real engagement. Granted, this is a coffee-style book, but even so, it feels like a lot more work has been done on the graphic design than really creating content that you can get your teeth into. It's beautifully visual, but I also ...more
Tyler Kroon
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cool synopsis of the world of LEGO, with a focus on the adult fan base. Content includes the history of the company, pieces of art made with or influenced by LEGO, massive and tiny creations from all ages, fan groups, gatherings, and publications, as well as how LEGO has affected the fields of architecture, design, and robotics. A fun and inspirational book for any self-labeled "brickhead"!
Melanie
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read Lego:A love story first, then this one. Amazing.
Bill Ward
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lego
A few months ago I was sent a review copy of the book "The Cult of LEGO" by John Baichtal and Joe Meno. Although the book was published last November ...more
Claire
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an absolutely fascinating book. There are so many things I did not know about LEGO. I will be honest though, I mainly skimmed from chapter 9 onwards... Digital bricks and robotics hold no interest for me but I am sure those sections are just as interesting as the rest of the book.

I am a total amateur (maybe novice is a better word) when it comes to Lego but I love it all the same; mainly collecting minifigures and Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean sets (or will be, once I start workin
John
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is a combination history of LEGO, history of adult fans of LEGO (AFOL), and photo-book of amazing LEGO creations. It presents itself as something of an introduction to LEGO to people who either never played with the bricks, or else gave them up as kids and never returned to them before now. I think it's more likely to appeal to AFOL like me who already collect and use the bricks as adults, but I suppose it might be something others would find at least worth flipping through.

Cheryl Gatling
I bought this book because my nine-year-old daughter has gotten into Lego. I thought she would like it, and she did, especially the chapter on the minifig (whose appeal is so universally powerful that it graces the cover). But this is not really a book for or about kids. This book could be subtitled, "Everything that Adults Do with Lego." Reproducing works of art, making movies, building vignettes and dioramas, online resources, conventions-- if adult fans of Lego (AFOLs) are doing it, it gets a ...more
Gordon
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I must admit to skimming this book a little, especially as some of the photos had limited impact as a PDF ebook. An interesting, though nothing startlingly new, recap on LEGO. A lot of concentration on AFOLs and the constructions that can be made when you apply adult money to a toy. Somewhat inspiring. This book came out without the Friends controversy, so you won't see it mentioned although there is much genre and purity discussions that basically boil down to the company having three highly su ...more
Jami Sweeney
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the discussion of the history and the impact on Dutch culture. Realizing that there are some in the world who take Lego very seriously and have come up with some creative adaptations to the typical building. Getting to realize the power of a new Lego set through six year old eyes for the third time is a real treat!
Jordan Stowell
Oct 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Very immodest. Offensive.
Sally Hegedus
Dropped by the library tonight. Saw this waiting to be reshelved. Picked it up on a whim. Cuz who doesn't love Lego? Spent the next three hours totally engrossed in it, devouring it page by page, as it became dark outside and I lost all track of time and wondered why I was getting so hungry (no dinner had been eaten yet). Obviously I absolutely loved this book! It's amazing what folks have the creativity and skill to make from these "bricks" and other "elements" as the Lego lingo calls the build ...more
Noah Kellstedt
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved it!
I loved it because it taught me more than just how to build legos it was the story of lego. Lego started in Denmark created by a man called Ole Kirk Christiansen. He started the company around 1950. I learn how it grew over the year from a family company to what is is now.
I liked this book because I like legos but I like reading about its history.
I would recommend this book to anyone even my sister. I think it is interesting to learn about the history behind my favorite thing
Jim
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Having built LEGO as a kid, then again as an adult, then again with my own kids, AND having access to the internet, there wasn't really a lot of new content here. Sure, there were some different pictures, and certainly a bit of information topics that had not been on my radar, but none of the content was deep.

Open the book to almost any page and you can read right there without having to worry about the page before or the one after.

Call it a "coffee table book" and you'll be happy with what is
Stephanie
Dec 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Having also read Lego: A Love Story, I can't help but compare the two books. This has many more pictures, and is more visually appealing. However the text is very sparse, and does not provide much detail. I preferred Lego: A Love Story for the information provided, but it is a more time consuming read. If you are interested in photography or looking for a faster read, this book would be a better choice for you.
Jordan
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: misc
Read more like an overview of the hobby for an outsider than anything intended for those already interested in LEGO. There wasn't much in here that a typical builder wouldn't already know, and there was too much of a focus on huge and expensive models rather than those that required much skill to make.

It wasn't a terrible read I guess. I should point out that it's kinda awkwardly political at times, with complaints about political correctness and Communism.
Elizabeth
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
As a non-fanatical Adult Fan of Lego (AFOL - who knew we had a name?) and mother of a true Lego fanatic, I was interested to learn more about people who are truly culty about the bricks. This book takes a wide-ranging view and has a certain Ripley's Believe It or Not / interesting morsels of information kind of fascination to it. I'd have liked it to be a bit meatier, though - it's really a light gloss on fan culture by an unapologetic fan.
Chris
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of neat pictures and stories about crazy Lego fans, but books like this always leave me wanting more detail. I'd still consider Lego: A Love Story a more-satisfying depiction of Lego fandom, despite its lack of pictures.
Jess
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Well, you'll find a lot of pictures of LEGO projects inside. The whole book felt unpolished though - many of the photographs gave the impression of being amateur snapshots done under bad lighting culled from LEGO fan sites, and the writing was...well, it is a coffee-table book.
Steve
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Depressingly insubstantial and slap-dash. Most of the picture captions are followed by short blocks of text that do little more than reiterate the caption content. Strange. And many pictures seem to be chosen to convey the least amount of information about the models/creations in question.
Janet
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2012
wish there had been even more pictures of the insanely fabulous Lego creations, but ingesting look at the origins of Lego and how it's influenced our culture and how our culture has influenced the company's offerings.
Shannon
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
After taking the family to The Lego Movie, I was inspired to learn more about the product,the company, the customers, the fans. This was an interesting view of the "super-fans", with loads of great pictures of things you've never dreamed Lego could do. A fun read.
Jesse the awesome
as a lego fan the creations in in it were awesome and inspirational 10 out of 10!
Brian Wong
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lot's of history about lego
Xavier Priour
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great overview of all styles of Lego adult fans and their creations. Nice photos, slightly lacking in depth.
Jo
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fic, must-reads
Fantastic book following the history of Lego. Lots of beautiful photos and easy to understand text.

For all ages.
julie
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
LEGO fans are hard core. And this book gives but a taste of that.
Bian446
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobbies
My LEGO knowledge increased tenfold. Millions of possibilities with the greatest toy on Earth.
Mehdi
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A must for LEGO fans and old-timers...Fun and informational at once. Did you know that Lego could be used to help autistic children? Or build a Sudoku solver machine?

• Beautiful LEGO
  • The LEGO® Book
  • The Ultimate Lego Book
  • The LEGO Adventure Book, Vol. 1
  • LEGO: A Love Story
  • Lego Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary [With Mini Figure]
  • The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide
  • Brick City: Global Icons to Make from Lego
  • The Making of The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars:  The Making of, #2)
  • LEGO Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
  • United Tweets of America: 50 State Birds, Their Stories, Their Glories
  • LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
  • The Museum of Lost Art
  • Characteristics of Games
John Baichtal has written or edited over a dozen books, including the award-winning Cult of Lego (2011 No Starch Press), LEGO hacker bible Make: LEGO and Arduino Projects (2012 Maker Media) with Adam Wolf and Matthew Beckler, Robot Builder (Que 2014) and Basic Robot Building with LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 (Que 2012), as well as Maker Pro (Maker Media 2014), a collection of essays and interviews desc ...more