Start by marking “Barrio Lejano - Tomo 2” as Want to Read:
Barrio Lejano - Tomo 2

Barrio Lejano - Tomo 2

(A Distant Neighborhood / 遥かな町へ #2)

Hiroshi, un padre de familia de 48 años, se siente transportado al adolescente que fue a los 14 años. En este segundo volumen prosigue el redescubrimiento de su pasado. Cuestionando a su abuela, sus padres, sus amigos, toma conciencia de todos los detalles de su infancia que hasta entonces le habían pasado desapercibidos. Y poco a poco, a la vez que el año escolar avanza, ...more
Published September 2003 by Ponent Mon (first published February 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Barrio Lejano - Tomo 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barrio Lejano - Tomo 2

Start your review of Barrio Lejano - Tomo 2
Wow
May 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing off from the last volume we now know the reason why the father walked out on his family ... It wasn't convincing ! Didn't have 'the change your fate' path I was hoping it would go through !
This was an infuriating ending !
You don't abandon your family for a no good reason ! You stick together through thick and thin! That's what a family is !
Meepelous
And today we are tackling A Distant Neighbourhood volumes 1 & 2 by Jiro Taniguchi. I originally read this duology back in my university days, as part of the first ever Graphic Novels as Literature Class, and have meant to re-read them ever since. This duology was published in English by Ponent Mon Ltd in 1998, flipped by the author's permission they are quick to note in the back of the book.

As far as warnings go, I would point out that there are some examples of under age drinking to the point o
David Turko
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a great book. This is what stories in the manga genre should inspire to. Great themes, pacing, characters and an amazing story. A lot of folks seem to complain about the end but I thought it was perfect. At the end of the day, this story is about love and family and how some events are inevitable. Really good, definitely check this series out.
Dustyloup
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that this book is perfect for someone in their forties or thereabouts because it deals with the crisis of midlife and that need we have to be somewhere anywhere else while simultaneously being connected and rooted to the life we have chosen. For the younger reader I would hope it would be a nudge to choose your own life consciously - and to the older reader it's a reminder that ultimately, we have chosen our lives, even if we feel otherwise. every decision and step moves us forward - no ...more
Noninuna
[Review for both volume]
We're introduce to our 48 years old man, named Nakahara Hiroshi who accidentally rode on a wrong train on his way back to Tokyo. The train was going to his hometown, so he decided 'why not stop by & visit his family's grave'. There he suddenly fainted and when he woke up, he's still in his hometown but in different year (or era). He's back to 1963, when he was 14 years old. We'll see how he deals with his family, friends, girlfriend(?) and school.
In volume 2, we can see h
Ashley N.
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-manga
(review for both volumes)

I was really shocked with this series since I almost returned both volumes to my library without having read them. It quickly grabs your attention as Nakahara finds himself suddenly back in time as a 14 year old boy. As with most time-traveling stories, there's an event that the main character hopes to change. Even though the story is set as Nakahara's childhood (which is happy and innocent...mostly), there's a sadness that haunts the pages. This sadness is connected wit
Barnaby Haszard Morris
No, you shouldn't. Not the dudes in this story, anyway, who mostly have their heads up their arses. Send one of those long-suffering women back instead. They might make something useful out of it.
Kurtis Burkhardt
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I couldn't even get a grasp of what this manga was about:(😐💩
Child960801
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This book wraps up the story began in the first one. The question of whether we can change the past is examined.
I 'm not sure if I'm happy with the ending or not. A lovely read, however.
Miguel Candelaria
Great manga. It has great themes, great pacing, good characters and amazing story. However, the ending was good but it felt rushed.
Priyanka
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is looking for a short, simple yet intriguing slice of life manga
[This review has been previously submitted by me at MyanimeList.net under the username _Rika]

POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD! Read at your own risk.

The cycle of trials and tribulations is never ending. A few bitter experiences of the past may leave a permanent scar on our life and we often wish to go back into the past, hoping to do things differently that would perhaps prevent the ‘dreadful’ from happening. While it’s usually us who were responsible for our sorrows at one point of time, there were als
Michael Scott
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
(Pursuing my goal of reading a bit of every type of manga.) A Distant Neighborhood (Haruka na Machi e) is a manga about the tragedies that hit Japanese families in the aftermath of the war---here, the tragedy of loss due to war, of destiny interrupted by obligations to the family, and of scarcity that prevents any other course of life than work. The character remembers after-war life through an innovative construct, which involves time traveling. (Type of manga: slice-of-life, family life, comin ...more
Lindsay
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Really enjoyed both volumes of this graphic novel story, beautifully drawn and a compelling tale.
Veronika KaoruSaionji
Beautiful story abou chance to change past, present and future. I love it very very much!
This manga is "for adult only", but not because sex (it is none there), because it´plot, certainly not for youngsters. Aduld married man, 48 years old, father of two daughters, who had in past some love afairs (his wife doesn´t understand him and so on) in 1997 visits his mother´s grave. His father abandoned his family when he was 14. In the cemetery he sees butterfly, faints and ... become 14 years-old boy
Michael
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[This review for both volumes]
A gripping and haunting tale about a middle-aged man coming to terms with his childhood and with his relationship to his family (past and present).

The mechanism of the story is rather classical and will remind one of Back to the Future or Coppola's film Peggy Sue Got Married (there may even be a reference to the latter in the book dedication in the end), but Jiro gives a fresh take on the genre by focusing on the possibility of personal change.

The character's hope t
Wayne
Feb 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This of course takes place right after vol 1 ends. Again the story and art are great, but the ending of the story left me somewhat empty. The whole story is about the search for the truth about why his father suddenly disappears, but by the time we finally find out, it's not what you would expect nor want. His father has an unexplained "wanderlust " and leaves his whole family for what I personally thought was no good reason. All in all, the second book was a little weaker than the first, but I' ...more
Hillary
This story may be a big nostalgic sterotype, but it's still a great read. It deals with time travel, regret, relationships, and introspection. Can you ask for more? ;-) While reading, you DO ask yourself, "What would I do if I was transported back to when I was 14?" And this book answers that question a little.
I guess the most of what I liked about this story is seeing the simple realism of the main character unfold: how he wants to change but is ultimately still himself.
Peggy
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Volume 2 was just as good and a fast read as volume 1, following off on the main character's quest to return home or at the very least, change for the better the course of the events of his (future) life. Sad and bitter yet happy and youthful at the same time, we follow Hiroshi's conflict to be two people at the same time while trying to prevent his father from leaving home the very year he's meant to disappear.
Shannon
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, manga

The second volume is an excellent conclusion to this series. The art is, once again, excellent and wonderful to look at. But it's really the story that is the most noteworthy. The second volume really pulls at the heart. It's a story of love and family and how some things you just can't change; they are inevitable. I really enjoyed this manga.
Ronan
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, comics
Volume one sets up an interesting premise -- a man goes back in time and inhabits his teenage body again; can he stop his father from leaving the family? -- but it plods a little. But by the second volume, with the date of his father's leaving approaching, I really enjoyed this beautifully drawn manga. A nice ambiguous ending, too.
Romney Wordsworth
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
No matter how far you travel, time doesn't change things. You are still you and things are still the things. Shame and regret. Loss and pain. Time ticks and you age but it stays the same. for better or worse.
Simon Wigzell
Nov 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost dropped to 4 star due to the clichéd ending, but the quality of the rest of the book outweighed that small negative point :-)
Nada
I didn't really like the ending but all the other good things made me forget about the blah-ending. However, the art is nicely done. It was a good read!
shirley
I didn't enjoy it as much as the first volume.
Marjorie
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Read in Jan 15 2015
Leandro Guimarães
Beautiful. But the father character is selfish, and it gazes me how he is not judged.
Stella
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Excellent art, beautiful story and a perfect ending!
Andrei Georgescu
Good moral dillema fiction that is sweet and positive. Nice for children around fourteen and up too.
Tim Timberly
I'd probably give it a 3.5. I thought the book would have a broader focus beyond fatherhood.
Camilla Engberg
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot stop thinking about this ending!

• Qinaya (L'adoption #1)
  • Ceux qui restent  (Les vieux fourneaux, #1)
  • Sacrées Sorcières
  • In Clothes Called Fat
  • Cap au Sud (Les beaux étés, #1)
  • La Calanque (Les Beaux Étés #2)
  • L'Archipel d'une autre vie
  • El final de todos los agostos
  • Formica
  • Icare
  • Le chemisier
  • Into the Forest
  • Zaï zaï zaï zaï
  • Et si l'amour c'était aimer
  • Le Périple (Bergères guerrières, #3)
  • Sarah (La Brigade des Cauchemars, #1)
  • Pinocchio
  • Il fallait que je vous le dise
Name (in native language): 谷口 ジロー
Zodiac: Leo

He began to work as assistant of the late mangaka Kyota Ishikawa.
He made his manga debut in 1970 with Kareta Heya (A Desiccated Summer), published in the magazine Young Comic.
From 1976 to 1979, he created several hard-boiled comics with the scenarist Natsuo Sekigawa, such as City Without Defense, The Wind of the West is White and Lindo 3.
From 1984 to 19

A Distant Neighborhood / 遥かな町へ (2 books)
  • Quartier lointain (Quartier Lointain, #1)

News & Interviews