Start by marking “The Fault in Our Stars” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  3,816,323 ratings  ·  158,724 reviews
Grca badge winner
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars
Published January 10th 2012 by Dutton Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 08, 2014
    Enter to win THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green in paperback, in celebration of his debut essay collection THE ANTHROPOCENE REVIEWED this May!

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 9581 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 16 - May 14, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

read on goodreads
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Fault in Our Stars, please sign up.
    Jade They met at a Harry Potter conference! John was there with his brother, Hank, who sings songs about the boy wizard. (And probably about He Who Shall N…moreThey met at a Harry Potter conference! John was there with his brother, Hank, who sings songs about the boy wizard. (And probably about He Who Shall Not Be Named, too!) The conference was hosting a dance, and John Green was hanging out in the back of the room, because he doesn't dance. He started chatting with Esther Earl, who inspired the character of Hazel.

There's a book about her:

And I did an interview with John Green for Goodreads, where he tells this story:
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
    Best Books Ever
    54,450 books — 210,180 voters
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Giver by Lois Lowry
    Best Young Adult Books
    11,939 books — 81,786 voters

More lists with this book...

·  3,816,323 ratings  ·  158,724 reviews

Start your review of The Fault in Our Stars
    Sophia.
    EMOTIONAL BLACKMAIL.

You will cry, because this is VERY sad.

So a discussion occurred in my head after I rated the book.

(view spoiler)
    Ayesha
    Aug 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Popular Goodreads public
    Recommended to Ayesha by: Popular Goodreads public
    Update (25/06/2014)-
    Since I've been receiving a lot of cyber bullies and hate messages, I’m going to clarify few things.

-Firstly, this is a negative review of the book and it has got a lot of potential to infuriate the fans. If you think that your opinion is the only opinion that exists on earth and that no one should dislike your favourite book, then I would suggest you to avoid this review.

-Stop harassing me. Why can't you get it through your thick skulls that everyone has different opinio
    Richa
    Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
    I HATE this book. Absolutely hate it. Not just from the bottom of my heart (which would literally mean my ventricles, and so, no) but with my whole heart. I hate it, hate it, hate it.

I hate the fact that it made me laugh, so hard!
    I hate the fact that it made me smile, so much!
    I hate the fact that it made me chuckle, so profusely!

I hate the fact that it gifted me with so much Laughter, Smiles and Chuckles when I was expecting to come face to face with tragedy at any moment....it changed my expec
    Laurel
    1.5 stars.

EDIT: Changed the rating because it's gotten to the point where my sister and I have inside jokes on how stupid and shallow this book is. I can't think about this book without getting angry.

I have a history with pretentious people.
    My biggest mess involved two boys in particular who were so incredibly full of themselves that for the first time in my life, I openly expressed my dislike to them. They know that I couldn’t care less about their “hotness” or just how amazing they were. So go
    Madeline
    Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
    At age twenty-two, John Green worked as a student chaplain in a children's hospital.

Let's take a moment and consider all the implications of that, and why he is making a colossal understatement when he described the experience as "devastating." That was about twelve years ago, and Green has said in interviews that because of this experience, he's spent twelve years trying to write a book about kids with cancer - not poster children of strength and courage and illness-granted wisdom, but real ki
    Emily May
    Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
    It seems silly that I have to say this, but I've seen many a negative review of this book met with backlash from John's nerdfighter fans, so I want to make one thing clear: I like John Green. You'll find plenty who worship him as a god amongst men and many who are highly critical of him, I fall into neither of these categories but I do like him and I enjoy watching his videos. I find him funny and I agree with a lot of what he stands for; I also appreciate the amount of charity work he does and ...more
    Rhi
    I must be clear from the beginning. This is perhaps the most personal review I have written. My choice of stars was difficult for this. I am a self confessed John Green fan, I believe he is amongst the best of, not only YA, but fiction writers out there in general.
    This is a beautifully written book. There is very little to complain about in terms of style, plot, character, etc. However I couldn't, in all good conscience, give this any higher because it sits so badly with me. I have let this nov
    destini
    Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
    Recommends it for: EVERYONE
    Shelves: favorites

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars
    But in ourselves.

This is the first time I’ve truly been at a loss for words. What am I supposed to say? How can I do this book justice? Maybe tell you all that it was perfect? The best, most heartbreaking, hilarious book that has touched me like none other? Sure. I mean, it's been said countless times, in countless reviews, and you know what? They are absolutely, a hundred and fifty percent true.

Hazel's days are numbered thanks to her crap
    Tatiana
    Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
    Recommends it for: fans of cancer stories and everything John Green writes
    As seen on The Readventurer

The Fault in Our Stars currently has a rating of 4.74 on Goodreads, almost everyone I know has given it 5 stars, therefore I'm certain no one would want to read my sour musings, except me and maybe a couple of other like-minded and unimpressed.

What I'd love to know is this - what makes a writer undertake the topic of cancer? So much has already been written about it, so many Lifetime movies filmed, so many tears shed. It literally has been done to death. What new did J
    April*procrastinator and proud*

This is me after I finished the book (and whenever I think about it).
    description

*pointless EDIT* Woooah! 1000+ likes!? I'm surprised how many people are willing to read my little blurb of nothingness!

*EDIT* In a lot of peoples reviews I keep seeing "they don't talk their age!" or "They make these beautiful long speeches which is something that normal teenagers don't do" and I have to point out that Augustus and Hazel AREN'T normal teenagers. They've had to go through so much more in their lifetime than a
    Erika

John Green.

You're not like Peter Van Houten, are you?

What have you done to my brain...

and my heart...

I'm not gonna review how exquisite John Green can write, or how he can create characters as special as Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters, or how amazing he can tell a story. Despite the huge number of ratings and the spectacular average rating, this book is not perfect. You might find it unrealistic, because if there are many of us who see the life and its complexity like Haze
    Barry Pierce
    Jun 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: 21st-century
    I feel so sorry for these privileged, middle-class, white teenagers.
    Nataliya

So, book, you decided not to play fair, huh? You used Tearjerking 101, huh? You armed yourself with adorably precocious teenage characters delivering insanely quotable lines while dying from cancer, huh?

Well, guess what - "I'm not cryyyyying! It's just been raining on my face..."
    And so my hard-won cool image of a cold-hearted cynic has been saved by this line, courtesy of New Zealand's 4th most popular guitar-based digi-bongo acapella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo:

Seriously, book, you know that
    shady boots
    Hang on a sec.

I'm gonna leave the rating blank now, cause I feel like I wouldn't have given this book five stars had I read it today. Yeah, it definitely impacted me once upon a time, but now... I've read so many unbelievably emotional books that this one just seems to, quite frankly, fade into the background. I've read a handful of eye-opening reviews and analyses that have made me see this book in a new light. A dimmer light, sadly.

Sorry to disappoint the people who liked my former review, whe
    emma
    Jul 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
    This is the John Green-i-est book of all John Green books, and I hate it and him more than anything.

My sister and I actually have a running joke where we just quote this book back and forth to each other. Although honestly anytime anyone says "It's a metaphor," I immediately say "ya put tha killin' thing between ya teeth but ya don't give it the power to do its killin'!", affecting the mannerisms of a stereotypical paperboy from the 1920s.

It gets a laugh every time. (Or at least a sound of disg
    Stacy
    May 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
    I had never read a John Green novel prior to reading this one. I wanted very much to like it and felt certain after reading some of the overwhelmingly positive reviews here that it would be an awesome and heartbreaking experience. I was ready and excited. I guess I could sum the experience up best by stating that it is unlikely I will read another book by this author, and if I do it will be sometime in the future when I forget how utterly disappointing I found this book to be.

I had a lot of pro
    Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*
    Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
    Recommends it for: EVERYONE
    Recommended to Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* by: My crazy GR friends!

FIVE OKAY & INFINITE STARS

OKAY?
    OKAY

There are almost 33000 reviews of this book. Why do I try to write one? I just don’t know but I do know that I have to let you know my thoughts about this AWESOME book.

I love YA. Even if I take YA holidays sometimes and stop reading it I can’t deny it’s one of my fave genres. This book and Forbidden are probably my favourite YA books and right now I cannot decide which one is my absolute favourite.

I knew about this book, I knew how it ended and I thought I
    Jaci
    Holy holy holy I waited so long for this novel, so long. I wish so bad I could give it more than 5 stars. John Green is absolutely amazing, amazing, amazing. The Fault in Our Stars had me laughing and crying, then laughing more and crying more. I will reread this over and over again, just like the rest of his novels. Oh wow, was it ever worth the wait. Thank you, John Green, for being so damn spectacular.
    Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

Let me start with how I feel
    My heart hurts. It bleeds, it cries. This book made me feel. How to articulate and not post a bunch of nonsensical babble.
    Did I enjoy reading this book?
    Did this book make an everlasting impression on me, in a good way?
    Would I read it again?
    Well, yes. I'm a masochist.
    Who should read this book?
    Everyone.
    What did this book teach me?
    That life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't live it to the best of you ability. And a whole lot more, but I think yo
    Ahmad Sharabiani
    Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
    The Fault in Our Stars, John Green

The Fault in Our Stars is the sixth novel by author John Green, published in January 2012. The title is inspired by Act 1, Scene 2 of Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar, in which the nobleman Cassius says to Brutus: "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

The story is narrated by Hazel Grace Lancaster, a 16-year-old girl with cancer. Hazel is forced by her parents to attend a support group where she subsequently me
    Maria
    Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
    But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.”

------------------

Some books will make you laugh so hard your stomach will hurt.
    Some books will make you so mad that you’d want to throw the book out the window or burn it in fury.
    Some books will leave you asking for more because it ended with a cliffhanger.
    Some books will leave you questioning why it ended the way it
    K.D. Absolutely
    May 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
    Recommended to K.D. by: Biena Magbitang
    Shelves: sad, ya, saddest
    I can be honest, right? After all, it was I who spent time reading this book.

I guess it has something to do with the fact that so many friends and relatives raved about this book being sad and great prior to my reading. For example, an 8-year old niece of my wife said that she cried while reading the book because it is about teenagers with cancer. Then of course most of my GR friends, foreigners and locals alike, rated this book with either 4 or 5 stars.

So, when I started reading this book, I th
    karen
    Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
    you have a choice in this world, i believe, about how to tell sad stories, and we made the funny choice.

john green, like his characters, always makes the funny choice. and readers, like "women" are really just looking for a sense of humor. and the sense of humor goes a long way towards pardoning other sins. because come on, john green - your characters are so unlikely. ordinarily, i would squirm at such clever,verbose,insightful, literary-reference-dropping teenagers. but they are so funny and c
    Jim Fonseca
    Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I didn’t intend to like this book. Not having read this author before, I thought, who is this young guy who writes YA stuff and has a video blog? But I read it because so many of my GR friends have read it and rated it highly.

Indeed, it’s a great book and not just YA. It gives a brilliant picture of three bright young people (barely college age) struggling to deal with cancer. How do they deal with it? With loving parents, friendship, sarcasm, cynicism, irony, tears and anger.

The main character
    May 21, 2014 added it
    What can I say about this amazing book that has not already been said a million times? It's real, heart-wrenching and so, so well written. I'm a fan of alll of John's books but this one is a masterpiece. I'm not even exaggerating. ...more
    Sean Barrs
    Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    The Fault in Our Stars is a clever little book because it normalises a tragic piece of life that is surprisingly underrepresented in fiction. It’s also funny, wise and heart-warming in a sad sort of way.

I’m not going to say too much about this one, only that it really is worth reading regardless of your age. It captures a piece of humanity that we all need to hear.

Word of warning though, it might make you cry.
    jessica
    Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favourites
    i think most people will remember the first book that made them cry.

TFIOS was mine.

this was a story of love, and loss, of grief, and hope, and all the infinities in between. words are incapable of expressing how tender and open my heart felt after reading this. it taught me what it meant to truly empathise with others. it taught me what it means to live. it taught me how to find the positive in the most hopeless of situations. and because of that, i know am a better person after closing this bo
    Ariel
    Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
    Reread #1, April 17th,2013

I'd like to start off by saying that my original review of this, the blurb I wrote when I first read this (which you can find below) is a lie. I never cried while reading this book. I know it's probably ridiculous to point it out, and honestly I could easily just continue with the lie, but it's a lie. When I originally finished this, when I was writing up the little blurb, every one around me was talking about how this book had broken them to pieces, how it had made the
    Megs ♥
    Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it

Hazel is a 16 year old girl with stage IV thyroid cancer, and has been living with an oxygen tank since she was first diagnosed at 12. She realizes she is going to die, but she is on a drug that is keeping the tumors at bay. At a support group meeting she meets hottie Augustus Waters, who is in remission. They immediately hit it off and change each others lives drastically.

The Fault in Our Stars is another beautifully written book by John Green. A few months ago John made a video on his youtube
    Akanksha❤ Søren♰
    Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorite
    For people who haven't read this book yet...
    • Read the book first so you love the movie and connect more

•But always remember, Nothing ever lives up to an amazing book.'

~
    Just a few weeks for the movie!!! :D :D :D :D
    ~
    I wish they cast him, he's so pretty!!!
    description

And they've taken Shailene Woodley for Hazel Grace!

QUOTE IMAGES!!!!!

: description

So here I lay, after reading this book with swollen eyes, a runny nose, a wet puffy face and a whole lot of heart ache and a head ache too.

This book was beautiful. I
    Who was super depressed or cried at the end of this book? 82 397 Apr 27, 2021 09:15AM
    describe the book in 3 words 132 841 Apr 27, 2021 09:13AM