Start by marking “Nolo's Essential Guide to Buying Your First Home” as Want to Read:
Nolo's Essential Guide to Buying Your First Home

Nolo's Essential Guide to Buying Your First Home

Nolo's Essential Guide to Buying Your First Home, by Bray, Ilona et al.
Published June 4th 2007 by NOLO

To ask other readers questions about Nolo's Essential Guide to Buying Your First Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nolo's Essential Guide to Buying Your First Home

Start your review of Nolo's Essential Guide to Buying Your First Home
Emma Simmons Antensteiner
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was extremely helpful, clear explanations that weren't a total bore to read. Many testimonies in various situations of the home buying experience. I highly recommend it to anyone who has not dipped their toe in real estate.
Erin
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All first-time homebuyers
Shelves: nonfiction
I am so glad I checked this book out this spring! I started reading it thinking my husband and I were going to buy my grandfather's house, figuring I'd just skip over all the parts that didn't apply to us. Luckily, I stink at skimming, so I ended up reading nearly everything. I learned SO much about this whole home-buying process, from vocabulary (what "points" are, for example) to what to expect and what to watch out for at each stage in the process. Buying a house turned out to be a whirlwind ...more
Ashley
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Read most of the 2017 edition while buying my condo in Charleston. Very easy to understand and helpful in explaining the whole process.
Natalee Brooke
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a very informative read! It’s written in a manner that is user friendly to the average first time homebuyer!
Sean
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This guide to buying my first home was great. It did very good job of taking the quite daunting task of purchasing a new home, and breaking it down into manageable and discrete steps. Things ended up moving a bit faster for my wife and I than we'd planned when buying a house, and while I had intended to read this book before we got well into our house hunting, it ended up being a great guide that helped us navigate the home-buying process while we're in the middle of it.

The expert advice and man
Maureen
Jan 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Solid information and some ideas that I hadn't thought about it. I feel like one really needs to start the process and talk with professionals though for a more accurate picture of home purchasing, particularly given how much the market has changed in the last six months.
Lisa
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A lot of really good information, all in one place. There's also a CD-Rom with worksheets for you to evaluate what you really want, do a budget, etc. It had some information I didn't know, which is saying something since I've researched a little too much into this stuff :)
Kate
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome and really made me feel more prepared during this process. You will still need to do some research on things in your state, but this book is a great start.
Michael Ellsworth
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW, this book is the most informative book!
Shay
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not exactly a thrilling read, this book provided the information we needed, presented in clear language, to get us through the process of buying our first home.
Kara
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended! This is a great tool that summarizes all aspects of the home buying process.
Flynn Heiss
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I borrowed this book because I wanted to learn more about the home-buying process -- understand what the steps are, the terminology, and what costs to expect. I now feel like I have a much better grasp of what's involved, and expect to have just a little bit less stress if I ever am in a position to buy.
Lucas
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was this like the ultra paranoid version, or is home buying actually this scary? It felt like every other page had a story of someone getting screwed out of thousands of dollars. Either way, this was an informative book structured in a logical way. I'm sure I'll refer back to certain chapters at some point.
Jenell Bakey
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, comprehensive book for a first-time buyer like myself. I was afraid this would be a snore, more like a textbook or reference book, but I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy reading this cover to cover. I highly recommend this if you're house hunting and know nothing about the (very complicated) steps of buying a house.
John Howland
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a complete novice to home buying and real estate in general, I found this book very useful. It is full of useful terms, common problems, and general advice. The book is formatted chronologically based on the home buying process itself and is useful both as a reference and for general reading. I did a lot of research on guides to buying a home and I was very happy with this one.
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great resource to look over when starting that journey toward buying your first house. Great resources such as questions to ask potential realtors, inspection examples, and a simplified overview of the process start to finish.
Elizabeth Chavun
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
It was very clear on the way to pick a home and what to search for as far as loans. Some information I was aware and others not so much. If you a looking for an easy read on home buying I suggest this one.
Victor
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well worth the money. This reference includes many stories from real home-buyers, and the contributors are all experts. This gave my an excellent orientation as we ran a successful home-buying process ourselves.
Mark Zodda
Very good resource that while pitched to first-time home buyers is well worth reading for those of us who have been through the process before and are looking to buy again. I only wish I had found this book before buying my first home, but am sure it will help this next time. Recommended.
Sam
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of information

The book has a lot of great information and does a great job at explaining the home buying process and what to expect.
Katherine Cowley
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I read this book, and then I bought a house. So I suppose the book worked!
roundface
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast browsed the book and got a brief idea about main steps of buying house. Marking it as a handbook when I get ready to buy my first house.
Sylvana
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good instruction for someone who is completely new to the whole home-buying process.
Eric Dye
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very helpful book to read. We meet wit a realtor tomorrow. So hopefully we now know much of what we need to know going in!
Andrew Podojil
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay book. A lot of useful information, but written in a generally annoying way for me. Still a worthwhile and relatively quick read to get a good background on everything.
Jess
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
pretty dang helpful
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Really helpful to this first time homebuyer. My only complaint is it's already out of date - some of the NOLO website links no longer work, and I'm surprised they didn't have an explanation.
Prejudice Neutrino
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything you need to know about buying a house. Will most definitely revisit it when that time comes around for me!
Terry Cox
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
So overwhelming
Greg
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super thorough as a reference book but not enjoyable to read from start to finish.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Home Buying Kit for Dummies
  • Keep Calm . . . It's Just Real Estate: Your No-Stress Guide to Buying a Home
  • How Your House Works: A Visual Guide to Understanding & Maintaining Your Home
  • The Lost Book of the White (The Eldest Curses, #2)
  • The Haunted
  • 100 Questions Every First-Time Home Buyer Should Ask
  • آیین زندگی
  • The New Corner Office: How the Most Successful People Work from Home
  • The Land That Never Was: Sir Gregor MacGregor and the Most Audacious Fraud in History
  • 100 Questions Every First-Time Home Buyer Should Ask: 4th Edition
  • How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials, #1)
  • Happy Money: Understand and Heal Your Relationship with Money
  • The Home Edit Life: The Complete Guide to Organizing Absolutely Everything at Work, at Home, and on the Go
  • Fire Cider!: 101 Zesty Recipes for Health-Boosting Remedies Made with Apple Cider Vinegar
  • The Grid: Electrical Infrastructure for a New Era
  • The Complete Whiskey Course: A Comprehensive Tasting School in Ten Classes
  • Eat Sleep Sit: My Year at Japan's Most Rigorous Zen Temple
  • The Rise of Superman: Decoding the Science of Ultimate Human Performance
Ilona Bray is an author of books for adults and children. She holds a professional doctorate in law and specializes in real estate, immigration law, workplace wellness and nonprofit fundraising in her role as an author and editor at Nolo.com.