Start by marking “Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)” as Want to Read:
Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)

Dead Beat

(The Dresden Files #7)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  97,452 ratings  ·  3,111 reviews

Meet Harry Dresden, Chicago's first (and only) Wizard P.I. Turns out the 'everyday' world isfull of strange and magical things - and most of them don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in.

Luckily, however, he's not alone. Although most people don't believe in magic, the Chicago P.D. has a Special Investigations department, headed by his good friend Karrin Mu

Published March 4th 2010 by Orbit (first published May 3rd 2005)

·  97,452 ratings  ·  3,111 reviews

Shelves: wizardry, fantasy
Book Twenty-five

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

"Hell's Bells" count - 13

While I was on my long commute to work (not so bad, as it affords me more reading time), I wondered what the Harry Dresden from Storm Front would have made of the Harry Dresden from this book. I imagine he probably would have been scared. And to be honest, I don't think I would be able to blame him.

There's necromancy afoot in Chicago, and as much as he doesn't want to be, Harry is in the middle of all of it. He's been charged by on
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Harry Dresden fans, do you know you can get special Dresden character tea blends like this Butters one?? Just food, er, drink for thought.

Wonder what he tastes like. Corpses??

I'm 100% in love with the audiobooks for this series. James Marsters gets better and better with each book, and I'm addicted to listening to him narrate. His character vocal differentiation is improving with each story, and his inflections are spot on. He is amazing, really amazing.

In terms of plot, this one was pretty fr
Lyn
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Peter Venkman, Dr. Egon Spengler, Dr. Ray Stantz, Winston Zeddnire and Dana Barrett all sit watching The Big Lebowski and discussing Jim Butcher’s 2005 Harry Dresden novel Dead Beat – the seventh novel in the series.

Venkman: We have to drink every time we hear an F-Bomb.

All drink.

Egon: Butcher has done another outstanding job explaining and expounding upon his paranormal universe, this time returning to many of the themes he explored in his third Dresden novel Grave Peril involving ghosts an
carol.
The one where it really starts to get good. Has several priceless scenes, especially in the last third, that had me re-reading this book. Best dinosaur scene ever.
Heidi The Reader
This entry in The Dresden Files has wizard Harry Dresden fighting necromancers to protect his friends and contemplating his own mortality. We also get to hang out with a few side characters and see a fascinating new side of Bob, who just happens to be one of my favorite characters in the whole series.

"Because that Kemmler was a certifiable nightmare," Bob said. ... That got my attention. Bob the skull was an air spirit, a being that existed in a world of knowledge without morality. He was fairly
Lindsey Rey
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fantasy
This had one of the most creative and fun uses of magic I've ever seen without creating an entirely original magic system! Also some serious character development and story progression!! You rock, Jim Butcher!
Daniel Greene
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best Dresden yet. CAN WE GET CONSISTENT QUALITY PLEASE?!?!
Luffy
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This seventh book in the Dresden Files series, took me on a roller coaster ride tread by many of the fans, yet managed to make the experience nearly pristine and virginal. The book was at first a slow starter, then became a precocious child, then became an overachiever, then, a late bloomer. The entire novel was the work of a workaholic, of that I'm sure.

The series follow a formula only in the broadest sense of the word. I wish to tell Jim Butcher to ditch his cliffhangers. I mean, by that, hi
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
The chaotic events in his life may have Harry Dresden feeling Dead Beat...but his books have never been more energized!

dresdenad
As an accountant, when I have a bad day at work, it often means I spent hours poring through various mind-numbingly dull spreadsheets trying to rectify a discrepancy. Now here's Harry Dresden's version of a bad day at work. One of his most dangerous enemies has pictures that could destroy the life of Harry's closest friend and ally. In order to stop the evil vampire-sorceress Ma
Israt Zaman Disha
“Son. Everyone dies alone. That's what it is. It's a door. It's one person wide. When you go through it, you do it alone. But it doesn't mean you've got to be alone before you go through the door. And believe me, you aren't alone on the other side.”

About this book, it's like any other book of Dresden Files just nastier. When you think things cannot get any worse, all hell break loose something happens to worsen everything. And I cannot help but be surprised at how much will Harry has and how fa
Wanda
Best Dresden book so far! I approve of the zombie T. rex Sue and all the mayhem that she causes!

Harry, like any good noir detective, is a bit soft-headed when it comes to a dame. This gets him in trouble in every book and this one is no exception. His wry sense of humour helps him deal with the situations that his instinctive responses get him embroiled in.

At least in this installment, Harry gets to know members of the White Council better (and vice versa), finds out that he has fans among the y
Steven
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017, reread
Polka will never die!

#ilovebutters
Meg
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
10/30/13: The one with lots of necromancers. Also the one where the series really solidly shifts into higher gear, in my opinion.

8/25/11: I noticed something about this character last night that I think speaks well of Butcher as a writer: he's managed to write a somewhat sexist character but not sexist books. It's not just because the character admits to being somewhat sexist, but because it's just the main character who has those views. The narrative and development of the supporting characters
Audrey

It took me over two months to get this from the library; some punk had it and returned it over a month late.

“In the action business, when you don’t want to say you ran like a mouse, you call it ‘taking cover.’ It’s more heroic.”

The book begins on my birthday (cool, eh?) and ends on Halloween night: Harry has three days to prevent competing necromancers from using an obscure book to summon immense power that would kill thousands in the process, etc.

With necromancers comes …

… zombies!

Mea
Faye, la Patata
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did I say the last book was the best installment yet? I WAS OBVIOUSLY KIDDING. No, THIS books is the best installment yet. What is it about this series that just keeps getting better and better and better and better? I just adore how the stakes keep getting higher, and how our dear wizard Harry is always overcome with hurdles that even I am biting my nails in suspense, unsure if he'll even come out of it in one piece. And when he does overcome them in unconventional means, I can't help but sigh ...more
Evgeny
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I was not sure whether with book deserves 3 or 4 stars until I was introduced to Butters and Sue. Thanks to Sue, the book has the most epic ending of all Dresden Files books so far; the rating jumped to 5 stars - the highest of all Dresden Files book for me.

It starts innocently enough. Mavra, a vampire from Black Court (think Dracula on steroids) who happened to be one of the most powerful Dresden's enemies made an offer to the only official wizard which cannot be refused: find the last book of
Jody McGrath
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harry Dresden's home is getting crowded. Too bad none of those residents are female, or human. But he doesn't have too much time to complain. Murphy is out of town and an old vamp from the past has pictures that could not only get Murphy thrown off the force, but possibly thrown in jail. Dresden has no choice but to make a deal with this vamp to get the pictures and negatives back. All he has to do is find the word of Kemmler. Not that he has any idea what or who that is.

Needless to say we get
Donna
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I have two GR friends who have said that this series gets better and better with each book. I believe that to be true because these books really do get better, probably because I already love the characters. Harry is a great character. He is constantly evolving and I like that I'm learning something new about him with each new book. The new characters are also just as fascinating, as well as the returning ones.

I like all the fun twists that keep the story moving, often in unexpected ways. The w
Ashley
Re-read June 2017: So I never actually wrote a real review of this book the first time I read it. It was the end of the year, and I just half-assed something in about two minutes. I just wanted to read it and enjoy it and then be done with it. But seeing as how this is the first truly wonderful book in the series (and don’t even argue with me about this), it really does deserve a full considered review.

This is very nearly a perfect urban fantasy book. It comes soooo close. If it weren’t for Harr
Iryna *Book and Sword*
3.5/5 stars. (rounded down for GR)

Is this a filler book? It feels like a filler book. The previous 2 books were terrific, this one didn't do much for me.
However it still had great moments and the ending was quite good.
Hoping it picks back up in the next book.

My WEBSITE
My INSTAGRAM
My WORDPRESS BLOG
Mr. Matt
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-urban, 2013
This was without a doubt my favorite of the Dresden files. It had everything - especially zombies, and lots and lots of them!

This book made me really think about what I like about the Dresden files. The author develops multiple story lines and then weaves them together plausibly - at least as plausible as zombies in present day Chicago. The quest for the book of Kemmlar places Harry in a very bad position. Mavra is threatening to get Murphy arrested. Powerful necromancers are seeking to upend th
seak
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much on-par with Blood Rites. I had a good time, though definitely felt that it was my second Dresden book in a row. I usually try to break them up because I end up feeling trapped if I read a whole series all together (I'm crazy I know), but even moreso with Harry's constant descriptions of his foibles as if he needs to describe them all to knew people in the 7th installment of the series!

Other than that, I had lots of fun and a good break from vampires, which I've felt have been a bit o
Tosh
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So happy I decided to stick with the series, because each book has proven better than the last.

Polka will never die!
David Sven
The thing I'm really loving about this series is how Butcher manages to produce something new with each successive book while at the same time adding these threads of lore and story that carry over with each new book. While the first several books still felt somewhat episodic, by this book, all those little threads have now cumulated to evolve such a cohesion with the previous books that the depth of plot and character and world building make for some very satisfying and rewarding reading.

And I'
Em Lost In Books
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2000-09, 4-star, 2014
4.5

Its the best book in the series so far (and that extra half star is for Butters and Sue)!!

With Halloween just days away, Harry finds himself blackmailed by Marva into finding “Word of Kemmler”. But Harry even doesn’t know what “Word of Kemmler” is and what it can do or where to find it. If thats not enough three more wizards/necromancers who are powerful than Harry wants “Word of Kemmler” for themselves. And what follows next is endless action and fun.

This book was one hell of a ride right fr
Clive Harrison
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved how both Butters and Thomas came into their own much more in this book than they had previously. Butters goes from being the rational yet terrified little Polka obsessed medical examiner to a hero (ish). Thomas' relationship with his brother is also developed far more and makes for interesting reading.
But let's be honest - we're all reading it for the ghosts, zombies, magic, fist fights and Dresden himself. And this edition doesn't skimp on any of it! The main action scenes toward the en
Rob
Executive Summary: One of my favorite books in the series. It might possibly have the most memorable sequence of all 14 books thus far.

Audio book: James Marsters continues to be excellent as the reader for the audio book. Of particular note, I really enjoy his voices for Butters and Ramirez.

Full Review
So what a long way we've come. Wizards, Werewolves, Vampires, Fae. What's left? Why Zombies of course..

One of Harry's enemies is back in town and blackmailing him to find something called the Wor
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
So, this audiobook was pretty epic. End review. No, but seriously there's Necromancers, a zombie t-rex, Harry gets a wizardly promotion, there's a weird love triangle going on, although I don't think anyone is actually getting any, Bob gets kidnapped, and then there's the whole Lasciel thing. I loved this installment to bits; there was action to the max, tons of future possibilities open up for this series, and I bow down to James Marsters' grasp of Dresden's character. Butters made for an aweso ...more
Patrick
Wow!! This was really cool! Faeries, Necromancers and an reanimated t-Rex! Whaaat?!?! These books just keep getting better! The Dresden Files will forever be in my top 5 favorite fantasy series!
Play Book Tag: Dead Beat/Jim Butcher 4.5 stars 4 16 Mar 18, 2017 05:41PM
Dresden Files: Thoughts on Dead Beat 2016 5 52 Mar 04, 2017 05:12PM
Saucy Wenches Boo...: Dead Beat (The Dresden Files #7) by Jim Butcher 7 9 Jan 18, 2017 01:54PM
Goodreads Librari...: Page Number Confusion 14 41 Dec 03, 2016 09:07PM
A Million More Pages: 7 - Dead Beat (Dresden Files): Jun 15 84 30 Jun 30, 2015 12:43PM
Urban Fantasy ser...: April SRA: DEAD BEAT by Jim Butcher 1 10 Apr 01, 2015 10:01AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Madhouse (Cal Leandros, #3)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
  • Monster Hunter Alpha (Monster Hunter International, #3)
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Magic City: Recent Spells
“Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is ajar” 879 likes
“We are not going to die."

Butters stared up at me, pale, his eyes terrified. "We're not?"

"No. And do you know why?" He shook his head. "Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die." I hauled on the shirt even harder. "And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and polka will never die.”
663 likes