Start by marking “Listen to My Trumpet! (Elephant & Piggie, #17)” as Want to Read:
Listen to My Trumpet! (Elephant & Piggie, #17)

Listen to My Trumpet!

(Elephant & Piggie #17)

Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

In Listen to My Trumpet! Piggie can’t wait to play her new instrument for Gerald! But is she ready to listen to his reaction?

Published February 7th 2012 by Hyperion Books for Children

To ask other readers questions about Listen to My Trumpet!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Listen to My Trumpet!

Matt
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Piggie arrives on the scene tho show Gerald a little something he has been perfecting. When Gerald agrees to listen, Piggie pulls out a trumpet and begins honking upon it. While it is loud, it would seem that Gerald is anything but impressed. Trying to hide his...lack of enthusiasm, Gerald smiles and covers his concern. Piggie picks up on this and asks how she’s done. Gerald hesitates... ponders the question, and tries to delicately reply. It’s then that things take a definite turn. Neo loved le ...more
Kate Gorman
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: notable-children
I want a friend like Piggie who wants to communicate with me anyway necessary.

I want a friend like Gerald, who knows that a friend wants to hear the truth.

Elephant and Piggie books are great for early readers (my recommendation is Kindergarten and First Graders) who like a bit of silly.

I also think Elephant and Piggie books are great to brighten up an adults day.
Andrea
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
My 5-year-old was laughing so hard while reading this book, I wasn't sure he would make it to the end! He is finding ALL the Elephant & Piggie books on library day at his elementary school, and I am immensely enjoying hearing him read them so fluently and getting caught up in these cute, humourous stories with messages about friendship, sharing, and not sweating the small stuff.
Melissa
When I first glanced through this one and saw all of Piggie's noises, I thought, "Uh-oh, this is going to be a mess for a beginning reader to read." But Mo was a step ahead of me as usual. I just read it out loud for the first time to my 11yo, deliberately saying each one of the trumpet noises out loud along the way.

You know what? Each of the noises is a five letter "word," each starting with a two-letter blend like /bl/ or /gr/, followed by a hyphen, and each ending with a three-letter rime su
midnightfaerie
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I had never heard of Mo Willems until I checked out the list of top children's books here on GR. But he is quickly becoming one of our favorite authors. An adorable story about pig showing the elephant how he plays his new trumpet, the pictures and the story lines are enough to keep my 5 yr old and twin 2 yr olds engaged and interested. Fun stories with interesting twists you don't often see in other children's books, they are books even I can get into and enjoy. This one is probably about a lev ...more
Anne
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ah Mo Willems...this book is a home run for children who listen and the adult who reads to them. Subtle and meaningful illustrations. Deceptively simple text that lends itself to discussion and interpretation.
Anne
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This would be a fun one to perform at storytime! Now... where can I borrow a trumpet?!
Dolly
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Yay! Another Elephant and Piggie story! We read them as soon as we can get them at our local library. We just love these books and our girls love to play the different parts.

With only two speaking parts, I got to sit back and listen to our girls read the book to me. I love how Mo Willems includes lots of varying volumes and enthusiasm in his dialogue and I was so impressed how our girls used different inflections in their voice to convey these changes. Oh, and the onomatopoeia of the trumpet no
Carey
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Unlike other Elephant and Piggie books, this one is mostly sound effects as Piggie tries to play the trumpet for Gerald. It doesn't really help a kid who trying to practice reading. And I have always had trouble making a trumpting sound, let alone making 6 different bad trumpet sounds, so I'm not looking forward to reading this one aloud either.

Update: I read this to the kids and they laughed non-stop through the whole story, probably more than any other Elephant and Piggie book yet. So, I added
Kristin McIlhagga
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It blows my mind that each time I read a Mo Willems book, he still manages to surprise me. Listen to My Trumpet again made me laugh out loud as Piggie "performs" on his trumpet for Gerald. My 7-year-old brought it over to me at our local independent bookstore and demanded the we read it immediately. She read the part of Piggie and I was Gerald. We loved it. The fact that her daddy plays trumpet and she actually has an Aunt Molly made her give it a 6 out of 5 stars. You won't be disappointed!
Tori
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to call it Children's Literature, but truthfully it's been a bridge for us. Mo Willems has touched a little corner of my daughter's heart with his dear Elephant and Piggie books and she has developed a desire to read after devouring this series. Thanks, Mo Willems! Elephant and Piggie are a great example of a real, beautiful friendship, too. Good lessons to learn for young readers!
Rachel
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-reader
I love many of the Elephant and Piggie books for story time- I'm a childrens's librarian- and this one is no exception. Make sure to make lots of funny trumpet sounds, and you'll have kids ROFLing :)
Melinda Garman
Biggie just wants to be able to speak to elephant in his own language. You could use this book to talk to students about different languages and how we can communicate with them. Are they are universal languages or ways to communicate? Recommended for K through 2nd grade.
Bridget R. Wilson
I had an "ahhh" moment when Piggie revealed what she was trying to do with her trumpet. Great addition to a wonderful series.
Jacob
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
"I didn't like all the funny words when he was trying to make music."
Amy
Apr 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
My niece gave a fantastic, succinct review of Listen to My Trumpet. "Well," she said, "that book was just a lot of noise." Amen, sister!
Donalyn
Why am I just figuring out that Piggie is a girl? I probably should have asked a five year old!
Kelly Rae
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Piggie Storytime. Played my trumpet too!
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Given what I do now for a living, I suppose I ought to try to review more books on this site...
Although I have three children, I was only marginally familiar with Mo Willems (i.e. I knew the basic style and notable characters. I have to say, I wasn't sure what all of the fuss was about, but with this book, I kind of get it. It's fun, quirky, and short enough to keep the attention of my two year old, but still witty enough to keep my six year old interested. They liked when my oldest child and I
Lydia
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Piggie has a new trumpet, which she wants to play for Gerald. He agrees to listen, but when Piggie is finished Gerald faces the hard task of telling her it didn't sound like music.

First off, Gerald and Piggie demonstrate amazing friendship skills! Seriously, if you want a visual for "speaking the truth in love", this book is it. And what I truly love, is Gerald is honest, but not blunt because he cares enough about Piggie's feelings to be careful with his words. A lesson good for any age! Secon

Hannah  Dahl
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fiction
Early Primary (K-1)

Mo Willems is one of my favorite children's authors! I love his Piggie and Gerald series and think that the stories are so cute and fun for children. Even though the content is simple in this book, I love that the theme of telling the truth to a friend (even when it's awkward to do so) shines through, and is so easy to pick up on. I also love that the illustrations add so much emotion to the simple sentences and add a depth to the entire book.
Nadina
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love how enthusiastic Elephant and Piggie are, they encourage each other and are honest with each other and I loved how this book developed through the plot. I feel like you should be able to relate to the friendship Elephant and Piggie have.
This book, and if it continues this way, this series, seems perfect for kids just learning to read and it is going to be a go to series for me to recommend.
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

What starts out as a simple story about honesty, turns into an adorable tale of friendship.

Very cute book. I really enjoyed the ending.

As with the other Elephant and Piggie books, the text is simple, the pictures are cute, and it is fun to read together with different voices. This one has the added bonus of making fun elephant/trumpet noises.

Great book. A very fun read.
Betsy
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before you read this review know that it is filled with a bias perspective, from a young one
that la-la-loves mo willems' books. this is the official disclaimer.

the lad says- the book was funny because the trumpet was loud. i gave the book 5 stars because it was a good book.

the parent says- gerald and piggie have another adventure about life and a trumpet.

if you like this series, gerald and piggie, you will probably enjoy this one as well.
Meredith
What a wonderful book for talking about "little white lies." Should you tell someone what they want to hear because you know the truth will hurt their feelings? Or should you tell the truth, despite the potential consequences? What if the person (or pig) is your best friend? Gerald the elephant grapples with this dilemma for several very tense pages. My 4-year-old said he should lie. Did he? The ending was PERFECT! This made a wonderful read-aloud book for my pre-reader. Highly recommended!
Jaliyah Hunter
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was just as Amazing than the other one, Pigge found a trumpet then when she got it she started to play then Gerald (The elephant) kept saying things in his mind like that Piggie sounds like his grandma but when she's sick that's when at the end Piggie asked what Gerald thought then he told some fibs then told the truth. But at the end Piggie wasn't trying to play she was trying to sound like Gerald!.
Molly
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this installment of Elephant and Piggie, Piggie plays the trumpet for Gerald but isn't exactly great, Gerald struggles with how to tell him but finds Piggie's goals are not what he thought. I think this one is fun.
Alex T.
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Before giving feedback, make sure you understand what others were trying to accomplish!
elyse
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
piggie has a trumpet and she's certainly playing it but gerrald is not so sure that those sounds are music...
Anna Marie
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Piggie is at it again, the noises he make are quite loud but it's not music. Gerald finds out why at the end.

• Penny and Her Song
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!  (Marty McGuire #2)
  • Robot Zombie Frankenstein!
  • Boy + Bot
  • Chopsticks
  • hello! hello!
  • Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)
  • E-mergency!
  • Chloe and the Lion
  • Crafty Chloe
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • Z Is for Moose
  • What Is Chasing Duck? (The Giggle Gang, #1)
  • Duck, Duck, Porcupine! (Duck, Duck, Porcupine)
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)