Start by marking “The Smell of Magic” as Want to Read:
The Smell of Magic

The Smell of Magic

2.89  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Love may smell sweet and betrayal bitter, but revenge has the richest scent of all...

Kelde has returned to his village after two years away training as an apprentice Witch Hunter searching out magic use.

He meets up with Shara his childhood sweetheart, who has promised to wait for him, but is she everything she seems?

The Smell of Magic is 4,000 word fantasy romance story wi
Kindle Edition
Published June 2nd 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Smell of Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Smell of Magic

Magda
Sometimes you should read a story just once. When you read it the second time, you start seeing the flaws.

This is a very short story, barely 14 pages (at least that’s what Amazon says). I’ve read it for the first time few years ago and apparently I really liked it. This time the story wasn’t that good.

The smell of magic is about a witch hunter in training. Kelde is traveling with his master from village to village and uses his enhanced smell to Reveal future witches. The time had come for him to
rameau
This is a short story that hints at a bigger story and leaves the reader thoroughly unsatisfied. I guess there was a plot and a point, but I'm struggling to understand what that could've been.

I was very lucky to get this when it was free on Amazon. It just wasn't not for me.
Mike
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
This edition is actually just the story "The Smell of Magic," not a collection as indicated in the description. The collection is titled "The Smell of Magic and Other Stories."

Apprentice Kelde returns to his home town to help his master with the annual Revealing Ceremony. They use their well honed senses of smell to test children who have reached the appropriate age to identify those touched by magic... and execute any they find.

The writing is decent and the world and premise are very interesti
NaiNai
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
The blurb pretty much gives away the plot twist: naturally Shara has magic. The premise is interesting (such a strong emphasis on the sense of smell), although I would liked to have seen more of a twist put in: some commentary on Kelde's reaction to Shara having magic, perhaps. The whole plot feels very...inevitable; there aren't really any twists.

For some reason, this story puts me in mind of The Lottery, which despite also having a somewhat obvious "twist", still managed to add interest.
Deep S
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting concept for the story and quiet interesting ending
Fiona (Titch) Hunt
I started this book 2 days ago and even tho it's a short story, it packed a punch and was a good quick read (just a shame life got in the way lol.)
Katie
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Wasn't a satisfying read. I guess there was a story, but there wasn't much of a plot and I just felt like I was observing a day in the characters life with a depressing ending.
Jeff