Start by marking “40 Days to Personal Revolution: A Breakthrough Program to Radically Change Your Body and Awaken the Sacred Within Your Soul” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  584 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author of Perfectly Imperfect

From Baron Baptiste, author of Journey Into Power and the “spiritual master driving the yoga revolution” (Self), a hands-on, step-by-step guide to adapt to your needs and lifestyle to make your body sleek, your mind clear, and your spirit light.

In 40 Days to Personal Revolution, Baron Baptiste—one of the world’s most
Published June 21st 2011 by Touchstone (first published December 9th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about 40 Days to Personal Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 40 Days to Personal Revolution

Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the six week process of working through the life laws, themes, diet, meditations and yoga practices with other members of my yoga studio. This process helped me find and work through some emotional gremlins I was hanging onto for whatever reason. I am must more balanced and present than I was at the start of the process. I am keeping daily meditation as part of my practice. It really does make a difference.
Desiree
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Oh, Baron. You think so much of us, don't you?

Week One includes at least three poses I've never seen in probably 100 basic and continuing yoga classes and endless DVDs and on-demand videos, one which seems practically impossible for a beginner. Thanks...

and "lift your sacrum" all the time-- your what now?

He assumes, clearly, that people already know the terminology of yoga (including anatomy) and some of the more advanced postures (although there is a good breakdown of proper alignment; still,
Rob
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book 2X now and have completed the program. I have to say if you follow the program for the course of 40 Days, it is a life changer. Many of us practice yoga and focus on the physical aspects of the practice. Many modern yogis do not want to get wrapped up in the spiritual teaching including inquiry and meditation. You will get benefits, yes, but there is a whole lot more right under the surface. What you need is a great guide. What I love about this book is Baron takes ancient ...more
Feb 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it was my preconceived notions regarding Baptiste Power Yoga, but I was not overly impressed by this book. It seemed awfully prescribed, without any regard for differences in age, experience, and physical fitness. It contained valid references to yogic spirituality--by far, his most poignant insights were with regards to romantic involvement--but mixed in were also references to Christian spirituality, which rubbed me the wrong way (my own biases coming to the surface, since they were cert ...more
Kathi Crawford
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Baron Baptiste when I started practicing yoga at a Baptiste Power Vinyasa studio. His first book "Journey Into Power" allowed me to understand his philosophy and the poses very well. "40 Days to Personal Revolution" takes what I learned in the first book to a comprehensive, life changing approach for integrating all aspects of Yoga into my life. I completed the 40 days at my yoga studio with a group and I believe this really helped to stay focused and accountable. As a result of completi ...more
Sara
Week by week and two laws at a time I read this along with the Baptiste approved program through my local yoga studio which is a Baptiste Affiliate studio.

I appreciate the effort and did gain a few insights and introspective principals from it but it wasn't what I thought it would be or maybe I didn't put in the effort required.

I am not sure.

I think for a new to yoga individual this would be amazing. I am not trying to be arrogant but I am further in my practice than what this offered.

Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't imagine reading this outside of the support of a 40 Days group - the yoga instruction doesn't seem sufficient on its own without studio classes and group support. But I've enjoyed the 40 Days program and I can see re-reading some of Baptistes writing. I just didn't find the yoga instruction helpful on the page, and much of book felt cursory.
Laurel
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I plan on re-reading and re-reading this one. Many of the poses are beyond my skill but maybe I'll get there. Much wisdom included in between the yoga. I didn't stick to the 40 day plan much after the third week but I found myself making changes in my life anyway, maybe next time I will make it further.
Danielle
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned new things about myself and feel even more connected to my yoga practice. I will be adding meditation to my daily routine and am thankful for the journey that I experienced with this program. Baron is great with words and I will definitely be going back to this book for his wisdom.
Lorna
Apr 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Be still and the answers will come to you
Chanel
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book itself is only okay. The power come from committing to and working the program within a community that empowers your personal spirit and growth. The book alone would not have provided me all the tools I needed to grow in this 40 day program but it is a definite starting point.
LooksLater
There are some wonderful points in this book/program, I like it overall and I love that he is trying to bring the spirituality of yoga practice to the masses...he gets points for good intentions. Good for him. It seems intended for a beginner in many ways, yet there are major discrepancies, IMO.

Great "Excavation Questions" to each week's theme, I can see this being helpful for those who maybe haven't brought awareness to their emotions and daily lives yet. Gentle (if vague) encouragement towards
Julie
This is a text that is meant to accompany a program with the same name that is offered by Baptiste affiliated yoga studios. I would venture to say that someone who stumbles upon this book on its own might not get the full benefit of it. Paired with the program, it provides a good guide into self-exploration, enlightenment, wellness, yoga practice, and spiritualism. I appreciated Baron's references to various religious/spiritual texts and persons. In that sense, this book wasn't one-minded or pre ...more
Carrie Ridgeway
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
In my opinion, the average person will not be able to do all of the poses at the end of the 40 days. On-going practice is required. There were several points in this book that I found enlightening, and several alignment tips for poses that were helpful. Baron Baptiste yoga is quite a vigorous practice - ergo, "Power Yoga". Overall, I much prefer the Yogafit asana order for my practice. As to the "personal revolution" aspect of the book, perhaps because of my age, I have already dealt with a lot ...more
Kaya
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kaya by: yoga studio
I liked the book but recommend reading it while doing the program with a group of people. A local Baptiste yoga studio offered the 40 Day program and this was the reading material. I don't think I would've gotten as much out of the book without being open to the material and being in the right frame of mind. Both of those things allowed me to take some good advice from the book and allow me to make some changes in my life, which will always be a work in progress. Plus the additional support from ...more
Andrea
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
This follow up to "Journey Into Power" is just as engaging, readable, and approachable. If you are looking to work Power Yoga and the power yoga approach into your life, this is a great guide. Each week builds momentum in the practice, culminating in an 90-minute practice by week six. Also included with the tools for change are thoughts about diet (no strict diet plan to follow, except for a 3-day fruit cleanse) and inner-searching questions to be journaled throughout each week. His philosophy a ...more
S
I checked out this book because when I first started doing yoga it was from this baron baptiste DVD I found at the library. Shit, that guy is calm and happy while causing you death muscle pain. I actually did like the introduction and part 1 where he explains the 10 laws of transformation... you know, you've gotta wade through some new agey concepts but there are good points made... of course after that, the rest of the book is devoted to a weekly plan that I flipped through and completely ignor ...more
Jan 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Every section of the book started with about 2 to 4 pages of pseudo-philosophical insights, mostly centering around his parenting then there were 10-15 pages about how to do downward facing dog and the rest of the sun salutes and that was about it. For being a book with "Personal Revolution" in the title, I don't see how anyone could get there just by doing what he's prescribed in the book. It's a nice idea to break things down and make them really simple, but some things aren't simple.

There ar
Kim
Feb 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yogi wanna-bees
Christine
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book offers some great snippets of wisdom. I went against my type-A personality and did not follow the daily diet and yoga practices prescribed in the book. I'm sure had I followed more closely I would have felt I gained more out of the 40 days. It's a pretty big time commitment to go along with this book completely. It's worth the read even if you don't intend to follow closely with the diet, yoga and meditation. I really enjoyed the excavation questions each week.
Alison
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful self-help book that integrates yoga, meditation and diet to start a journey to a personal revolution. While the book alone is a great resource, it resonates much deeper when coupled with Baron Baptiste's 40 Days program, which incorporates live small group discussions. Would recommend to anyone who is interested in changing the way he or she looks at life.
Denise
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think reading this book on its own would be all that helpful. I read this in conjunction with a 40 day class held by my yoga studio which generally followed the book but not completely. I highly recommend the 40 day program if you are looking to change some aspects of your life for the better. Worked for me!
Mahtab Ghoddosy
Insightful self-help book that integrates yoga, meditation and diet to start a journey to a personal revolution. While the book alone is a great resource, it resonates much deeper when coupled with Baron Baptiste's 40 Days program. Would recommend to anyone who is interested in changing the way he or she looks at life.
Tracy
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I read through this book several times and re read several bits from it. I think I will continue reading through it here and there...but from Jan. 26th to March 9th...part of a workshop through the gym called 40 days of yoga...it had a lot of great ideas about how to balance your life and take time for yourself! I really recommend it!
Lauren Clarke-mason
So, I read it as a group read. Meh. The revolution was not had, the army took a different tack, and I have a book that I will probably donate to some other organization that might find better use for it than I did.
Karen
Sep 12, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Liz T. and Liz B.
I liked this one, but I think because I read "Journey into Power", I felt like I was reading some of the same stuff over again. Even though I didn't follow the 40 day program, it does look like something that I may try one day.
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I especially appreciated how he took what we often make so complex and simplified it into basic principles. Also loved the step by step description and pictures of yoga poses. I've been doing yoga for years now and it was a nice refresher on the right way to strike a pose.
Taneka
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
This was the first book I read when I started out on my spiritual journey, well the first one I took to heart. Baptiste give the beginner comfort by stating that it is okay to do what feels comfortable to you as opposed to doing what those before you have done word for word.
Rebekah Cole
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
I've read this book a million times but have never completed the 40 days program. I've seen it work wonders & hope to participate in a group at a studio one day. I think it helps to have the support of others.
Alicia Weaver
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This right here is a game changer my friends. Give yourself 40 days of real commitment to yoga, meditation, and self discovery via journaling and eating right and you will come out a better, truer self. I am so happy this book came into my life when it did.
  • Happy Yoga: 7 Reasons Why There's Nothing to Worry About
  • Fierce Medicine: Breakthrough Practices to Heal the Body and Ignite the Spirit
  • OM Yoga: A Guide to Daily Practice
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Yoga: The Poetry of the Body
  • Yoga and the Path of the Urban Mystic
  • The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health: A Lifelong Guide to Wellness
  • Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life
  • Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit: A Return to Wholeness
  • Itsy Bitsy Yoga: Poses to Help Your Baby Sleep Longer, Digest Better, and Grow Stronger
  • Hip Tranquil Chick: A Guide to Life On and Off the Yoga Mat
  • Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-Realization
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Yoga for Emotional Balance: Simple Practices to Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression
“Transformation comes not by adding things on but by removing what didn’t belong in the first place.” 1 likes
“As Socrates said, “True learning is remembering.” 0 likes