Start by marking “Winger (Winger, #1)” as Want to Read:
Winger (Winger, #1)

Winger

(Winger #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  21,552 ratings  ·  4,105 reviews
Ryan Dean West is a fourteen-year-old junior at a boarding school for rich kids in the Pacific Northwest. He’s living in Opportunity Hall, the dorm for troublemakers, and rooming with the biggest bully on the rugby team. And he’s madly in love with his best friend Annie, who thinks of him as a little boy.

With the help of his sense of humor, rugby buddies, and his penchant
Published May 14th 2013 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Winger, please sign up.
Domenic
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Del
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  21,552 ratings  ·  4,105 reviews

Maxwell
Jun 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, 2015
Winger is about a fourteen year old boy named Ryan Dean West who plays rugby at Pine Mountain Academy. He is very "teenage boy" if you know what I mean; hormonal, crude, and thinks he's in love with every girl he sees. He also draws some, and those cartoons are integrated right into the text of the novel.

Why am I giving this book a 1 star rating?

I am fine with saying that I just found myself too old for this book. Some people may argue that you can't be too young or old for books, but in this c
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can't even begin to tell you how good this book was. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I had issues with the main character, but I like when I have problems with a main character. I enjoy reading about flawed characters. It gets annoying when you read books where the main character is perfect and everybody likes them. The main character in this book goes through a transformation throughout this book and that was really neat to follow. The plot was really interesting and the book ...more
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
fuck. my. life.
Lola
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it

Ah, Ryan Dean, Ryan Dean, Ryan Dean. He's definitely not your usual contemporary YA hero. Actually, this whole book is a breath of fresh air. Set at a boarding school for both boys and girls, "Winger" illustrates the life of a fourteen-year-old boy in love with his super hot sixteen-year-old best friend, Annie, and his way of coping with being put in the same dorm as someone he's afraid might strangle him in his sleep.

Ryan might come off as an immature, obsessed with the idea of sex and troublem
Jen  Bigheart
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
How can one story make you literally crack up laughing on one page and the next you find yourself bawling your eyes out. If I could give this more than 5 measly stars I would. 440 pages of genius.
Lucy
I’ve got to be brutally honest, I’m not sure why this book has so many glowing reviews and award nominations. Andrew Smith is a good writer, and his truthful, unedited portrayal of teenage boys reminds me of John Green’s Paper Towns (yes, for once, the Green comparisons are actually valid). But Winger is poorly paced and as a feminist and a LGBTQ ally I found Smith’s novel deeply problematic.

Winger tells the story of Ryan Dean, a fourteen-year-old junior and rugby player at a boarding school fo
Thomas
Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Thomas by: Debbie Narh
Unpopular opinion of the day: Winger wasn't that wonderful.

Seeing all the glowing, five-star reviews of this book, I wonder if it's me who went wrong. Andrew Smith did a lot of the little things right in this in Winger. He established a consistent narrative, incorporated rugby and its rules with ease, used a boarding school as the book's setting, and featured a nice friendship between Winger, the main character, and his best friend, Joey.

But I wanted more from this 400+ page book. Several themes
Ɗẳɳ  2.☊
Jan 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ by: Edward Lorn
Here I am, the voice of reason, fighting the good fight against a tidal wave of praise and support in a heroic effort to save you some irritation and wasted time—you’re welcome. But I know what you’re thinking, “This is the guy that hates everything, right? How can I possibly trust his opinion?” Well no worries, friendo, because I’m about to break it all down for you.

If you’re a teenager or you can relate to or still have the mentality of a young, horny, sex-crazed, mouthy adolescent, then, by
Tif
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
What-if-I-were-to-write-my-entire-review-like-this-in-a-hyphen-abusing-sort-of-way? Would-it-annoy-you-nearly-as-much-as-reading-several-sentences-like-this-on-every-single-page-of-the-book-annoyed-me? Let's-try-it:

Ryan-Dean-is-many-things. He-is-a-stupid-name-and-an-unlikeable-protagonist. He-is-the-author-of-his-own-troubles. He-is-a-loser, he-is-a-skinny-bitch-ass, and-he-is-not-gay. If-you-can't-remember-any-of-this-don't-worry-he-will-incessantly-remind-you-in-a-guy-with-alzheimer's-sort-of
Shaun Hutchinson
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I don't know how to review a book like Winger. I've loved every single one of Andrew Smith's books. Some more that others. But each one has offered up something honest and real and beautiful. Winger is different.

I read in the NYT's review that Winger belongs to a group of books that are all very John Green in nature. And while John Green is certainly a talented writer, I think he writes the kinds of teenagers that adults wish teenagers were. Andrew Smith, on the other hand, writes teenagers as
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Meet Ryan Dean aka Winger, he is that guy that isn't really a nerd but sure isn't that cool guy either. You remember him don't you? He's the guy that makes you laugh like no one else could. Little horn dog fellow who thinks about sex five thousand times a day.
Ryan Dean is fourteen and in the 11th grade at a "rich kids school"-he has been assigned in OR hall for stealing a teacher's cell phone and hacking into it. He is to share a room with the school's jock bully so he is sure to die before the
Kai
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015

The first few pages I wasn't sure I liked it. A hundred pages in I really enjoyed it and about halfway through, I was fed up with the main character: Yeah he's a loser, I get it, I don't need to hear it again. Yeah he's horny, I know, cause apparently everything that walks and isn't male gets his blood pumping. Just tone it
Ash Wednesday
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers with an appreciation for comics, Venn Diagrams, bar and line graphs
4 STARS

In this episode of What The F*ck Happened...

Meet Winger.

image

Pine Mountain Academy is a school for the rich and the supposedly neglected where Ryan Dean West is a 14-year old junior. The story starts as he begins to serve his sentence (for stealing a teacher's phone) in Opportunity Hall, the school's dorm for the exceptionally delinquent. His day begins by getting dunked in one of the common toilets in O-Hall by two football bullies. Fun times. To make thing more interesting, he is also bun
Maureen
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-cant-even
I don't know if these are spoilers, per se ... emotional spoilers, maybe? Anyway, read at your own risk...
No. Just...no.

This book didn't earn what it tried to do at the end. And it's so...sensational that it makes me angry, like really and truly MAD, at the author for trying it.

410 pages of dick-and-ball jokes, homo-bashing, and objectifying girls are NOT erasable by a shock ending.

Fuck you, author man. I'm so mad I can't even with this.
*****************
I can see, based on this novel's Pri
Nadia
Jan 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
 photo 11249813_zpsqqgss8hj.gif

Did I laugh ? Yes.
Was there good writing? Yes.
Were the drawings pretty ? Yes.

Those were the only redeemable things about this book.
And Joey, the only character I actually liked/cared about.

Other than that this book was just homophobic and sexist.

(view spoiler)
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

Why did I wait so long to read this book?!?! I could kick myself for putting this one off for so long. This book has to be one of the best YA novels that I have ever read. It is really that good. I read this book cover to cover in a single day and I can't think of a better way to spend a free day. Of course, I really didn't have much of a choice because once I started reading this story, I simply could not put it down.

Ryan Dean West is in man
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Ryan Dean West (“Winger” to the guys on the rugby team) is a Junior at a boarding school. He’s different than the other boys, though. He’s only 14. This is the story of Ryan Dean’s life-altering year – dealing with first kisses, first bullies, first love, first loss – all while trying to remove himself from the stigma that is being the “little guy”.

“It’s always that one word that makes you so different and puts you outside the overl
Carrie
Sep 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: violence, swearing
Demi
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I need a moment...
Brigid ✩
Part of my "Huge Review Binge 2k15" (aka trying to catch up on reviews I haven't done in the past two years)

Date read: December 1st, 2013
Date reviewed: July 11th, 2015

-----------

One of the things about rugby that's an inescapable tradition is that everyone on the team has to sing, and everyone also gets a nickname. It's not conscious or thought out, it just happens. … And, when someone finally settles on calling you by a nickname you're stuck.

Forever.

So no matter what happened to me in my life
Lauren (LaurenHannah.net)
Aug 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Check out this review on Lauren Reads YA, with photos of the book!

What a piece of crap.

Goodreads is full of 5-star reviews of this book, and I’m honestly not sure if we all read the same book.

The entire book is literally just what I imagine it’s like inside the head of a horny teenage boy. Ryan Dean is fourteen and constantly thinking about ‘hot’ girls, making gross comments at them, sometimes even inappropriately touching them when he gets the chance. Throughout the entire book he objectifies (
Caroline
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
IF I'm being honest (when am I not honest haha?), I found Ryan Dean to be a huge knob. And that's putting it lightly. He spends half the book whining about how much he dislikes other people but is a huge hypocrite and doesn't see those same traits in himself. He was a dick. There were no proper descriptions of the characters, I don't really know what anyone looked like. I am sure the writing was meant to convey the inner machinations of a fourteen year old boys brain, but it just came of as miso ...more
Edward Lorn
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone

Andrew Smith's Winger flattened me. I was breezing along, laughing and cringing at the shenanigans Ryan Dean West gets into, and then the ending cold cocked me in the feels. Yes, I saw some kind of tragedy on the horizon, but I expected something different than what I received. I was a blubbering mess by the final page. Such a mess that my lovely wife said, "Dude, it's just a book."

Yet there are some books that rise above simple ink and paper, or collected kilobytes. There are some books that
Eric Boot
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
O M G You know what? I expected a light, funny read that would make me laugh. BUT WOW JUST WOWWOWWOW I didn't see THAT coming! This book is really so much fun and it has pictures and you just have to read it MAN I'M BLOWN AWAY READ THIS IF YOU LIKE LOOKING FOR ALASKA :)
Pascal Schuppli
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I agree with the reviewer who said there was a tragic twist way too late in the plot. For one, it was completely unneeded; the main theme of the story was already resolved and everything that followed did feel tacked on. It was also not in keeping with the rest of the book's tone. The narrator makes you believe you are in a comedy for about 400 pages when actually he's narrating a tragedy. Plus it's not really relevant to most of us cause that kind of thing basically doesn't happen.(view spoiler ...more
Jennifer Donnelly
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I often get asked, "So what do you like to read?" The answer is "Anything, as long as the voice is there." I can't make it off the first page if it isn't. Just finished Winger, and man, is the voice ever there. Smith is such a good writer, and the funny, smart, confused, hornswoggling Winger -- aka Ryan Dean West -- is so alive on the page that I feel I've lived inside the head of a fourteen-year-old boy for a week. Smith, whose novel Grasshopper Jungle won a Printz Honor, is a new writer to me, ...more
Debbie Narh
good

"I found out something about words. There are plenty of words I can put on paper, words I can see with my eyes and scribble with my hand, that I never had the guts to say with my mouth."

Since this year has started, I've only cried over two books. Winger by Andrew Smith is one of them. I'm not sure if it's Ryan Dean's moving, realistic voice that had me hooked, or if it was the way I could easily relate to the character and connect with them on such an intense level that made it so hard for me t
Snotchocheez
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars (rounding up this time, to provide Andrew-Smith-rocks-my-world-happy-hyphenated symmetry for rounding down my 4.5 stars I gave his 100 Sideways Miles last year)

Slice through Andrew Smith's schtick (which, initially, started sticking in my craw with protagonist Ryan Dean West's umpteenth whiny "I am a skinny-ass loser" iteration, leading me to believe this should've been more appropriately titled WHinger instead) and what you'll find is a delightful, bittersweet, very-familar-yet-not-at
Irmak
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kütüphanem
Ekrana boş boş bakıp nereden başlasam diye düşünüyorum. Başını anlatsam sonunun burukluğunu atlatamadım, sonunu anlatsam başının eğlencesini kaçıracağım. Sanırım en baştan anlatmalıyım.
Ryan Dean West her ne kadar kendine durmadan eziğin tekiyim dese de (ki bunu diyip durması kitap boyunca beni delirtti ) kendisi gördüğüm en orjinal karakterlerden biriydi. Kitap boyunca öyle bir olay olduğu yok. Ryan Dean'in yürüyen hormon olmasından kaynaklı başına gelen komiklikleri, başına açtığı belaları okuy
What would have happened if Joey didn't die? 1 3 Oct 07, 2018 09:59PM
Willmar Public Li...: Winger by Andrew Smith 1 1 Sep 20, 2018 10:39AM
Nic Tackels- summer reading review 1 2 Sep 03, 2018 06:39PM
Winger 1 7 Oct 24, 2017 08:12AM
Around the Year i...: Winger, by Andrew Smith 1 17 Mar 14, 2016 12:10PM
  • I'm With Stupid (Stupid Fast, #3)
  • Living with Jackie Chan (Jumping Off Swings, #2)
  • Reality Boy
  • Rapture Practice: A True Story About Growing Up Gay in an Evangelical Family
  • The Sin-Eater's Confession
  • Carter's Unfocused, One-Track Mind (Carter Finally Gets It, #3)
  • Out of Nowhere
  • Beat the Band (Swim the Fly, #2)
  • Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets
  • Sex & Violence
  • Five, Six, Seven, Nate! (Better Nate Than Ever, #2)
  • Boy21
  • Speak
  • Leverage
  • When I Was the Greatest
  • Noggin
  • Crash and Burn
  • Fat Angie
Andrew Smith is the author of Winger , The Marbury Lens , Passenger , Ghost Medicine , Stick , and In the Path of Falling Objects . Grasshopper Jungle is coming from Dutton/Penguin on February 11, 2014.

Winger (2 books)
  • Stand-Off (Winger, #2)
“Joey told me nothing ever goes back exactly the way it was, that things expand and contract- like breathing, but you could never fill your lungs up with the same air twice.” 211 likes
“And then it's always that one word that makes you so different and puts you outside the overlap of everyone else; and that word is so fucking big and loud, it's the only thing anyone ever hears when your name is spoken.

And whenever that happens to us, all the other words that make us the same disappear in its shadow.”
166 likes