Start by marking “Sommersgate House (Ghosts and Reincarnation #1)” as Want to Read:
Sommersgate House (Ghosts and Reincarnation #1)

Sommersgate House

(Ghosts and Reincarnation #1)

Douglas Ashton is the cold and unfeeling owner of the gothic Victorian Mansion, Sommersgate House. Julia Fairfax is his stubborn American sister-in-law. After tragedy strikes, Douglas and Julia are forced to live together at Sommersgate and raise their newly orphaned nieces and nephew.

Douglas has no desire to raise his dead sister’s children nor does he want the distracti
Published December 7th 2013 by Kristen Ashley (first published June 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sommersgate House, please sign up.
Cindy Yes, this is Book 1 of the series.
…more
Yes, this is Book 1 of the series.
(less)

Start your review of Sommersgate House (Ghosts and Reincarnation #1)
Mo
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it

I have had this series on my kindle for over two years. When I first discovered KA, I downloaded everything that she had (well everything expect the Rock Chick series.)

Those few who had actually met her thought she was rather lovely indeed, for an American...

But…. There are the words “ghosts and reincarnations” in the title and it totally put me off. So never read them.

Was given Penmort in a Challenge group that I am in and read it. I loved it.

Douglas ignored her look, determined to move
Catarina
5 Cursed Stars

Welcome to Sommersgate House. A house that was made for love, but now only hides dark secrets. A house that was made to have happiness in it… but it only has grief.
A house that one man built to live happily ever after with the woman of his dreams, until a tragedy torn them apart leaving them curse forever, until true love can unite them again.

description

Douglas, the actual Baron of the house had a hard past in a house without love. The only person he truly loved was his sister, Tamsyn. Unt
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁

Hmm . . . Not my favorite KA book, but still KA, so better than most. VERY much looking forward to moving on to the next one.

RTC.

10/23/15: ANOTHER Buddy (Re)Read with Robin and Joanita !

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
WONDERFUL! I saved this story 'cuz I knew it'd be awesome and I knew there'd come a time I'd need a guaranteed awesome read...and I got one! So much poignancy, so much romance, and sooooo much passion! LOVED IT!!!!!

Description

Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading

wish it was more creepy considering it is set in a haunted house. i also wanted more of the kids because theyre wonderful, and i know KA can do better. but overall, its quite ✧ maa-vuh-luhs ✧. oh, and, Douglas, im self appointing myself as your wife. youre welcome.

(read as an audiobook)
Jacqueline
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
This has been my favourite of this series so far. The paranormal plot was secondary to the romance in this one, it was much more of a classic KA with the guy determined to get the gal, but the gal too damaged by a toxic ex to want to try again. The addition of the orphaned children and the way they become a new family was sensitively handled, it could easily have turned to sentimental mush, but no, it felt genuine.

Douglas, the alpha male m/c is a Baron and at the beginning of the story is remote
~ Becs ~
This was definitely better than Penmort Castle but I still don’t like the hocus pocus stuff interrupting the beautiful romances that KA has been giving us. While we don’t have the turbo-charged banshee totally jumping the shark the way we did in the first book, we still have a bit of a screamer for a spook and there’s really no need for it. I know that’s the whole point of this series but KA really does give us good enough stories and issues that all the ghost mumbo jumbo really does seem a bit ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Why? Cuz it is October and something haunty is required and we can.

Also....cuz My Enabler Jessica and fellow KA lover Joanita said they would buddy read the entire series with me.

#impromptubuddyreadsforlife #imighthaveaproblem #KAjustgetsme

3.5 The House Doesn't Like Strangers Stars

Have you ever walked into a house or room and it has a ‘feel’ about it? Whether it is good or bad there is just something that surrounds you and makes your emotions shift a certain way. Well Sommersgate house h
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
To be honest, I didn't feel all that much from this book. Sure it had its moments, but I couldn't really get into it. It is, perhaps, because I was doing other stuff while reading, like... re-watching Once Upon A Time with Mom. Oh well. The characters were nice. Julia Fairfax (36) had some spark, backbone, heartbroken, and broken, yet so kind and loving.
“No one knows the real story,” Mrs. K began. “Some say he killed her, some say someone else killed them both. The truth is, they found
Georgia ♥
4 KA Dreams, Ghosts and Fairytales Stars

“If I could ... I’d have the world watch me make you mine.”

description

Once again Kristen Ashley proves that fairytales and happily ever afters aren't just Disney movies and they aren't over because we just stopped being kids. With great emotion, her usual flair for the dramatic, attention to the detail and a huge imagination she narrates a ghost story about eternal love, family bonds and hope. That the power of love will thaw a cold-hearted man and set free two soul
Melanie
After having read 'Penmort Castle', I was all ready to sit down and read a pleasantly entertaining 'Sommersgate House'... but instead of treating myself to a good book, I got a great book! (WOOT - I love when that happens!!) Seriously, 'Sommersgate House' (IMO) can hold its own against the many phenomenal KA books I've had the fortune to read.

Julia and Douglas have been thrust into the role of guardians to their two young nieces and nephew after their parents (Julia's brother and Douglas' sister
Stacie
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
March 24, 2018

Third reread. I loved it even more. Bumping on up to 5 stars!

Reread/Audio Review February 11, 2017

4 1/2 "Douglas and Julia" Stars!!

Love, love, love! I mostly just listened to it this time around. The narrator was very good.

Douglas was absolutely swooney. Julia was a quirky KA heroin, but not stupid or annoying. She was quite likeable actually. The children were simply precious. I do love a story with children and the children are actually a real part of the story. This was well do
CC
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Loved it! Ending and epilogue was a little weak for KA. But otherwise I loved this story! The ghost story was poignant and 1000 times better than the first book in the series.

There are so many great reviews I do not think I can add anything of value. But to add my thumbs up for this one!
Lady Heather
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: paranormal romance, KA fans
I really liked this story!
The writing, characters and story were typical 'Kristen Ashley'.
Douglas and Julia are amazing together, as well as Will, Lizzie, and Ruby.... absolutely ADORED Ruby!
Preeti ♥︎ Her Bookshelves
3.5ish I guess.

If you didn't know who wrote it, you'd never connect it to KA.
But knowing it, the clues tumble out here and there.
The absence of chin nods and (mostly) of F bombs is a relief. Till the author could not resist it!
And the over-use and many a times unnecessary use of parentheses in sentences is another nod to same. The shambolic use of grammar rules and first/second person is another familiar one.

I like the British setting and the British baron H is divine. As unapologetically alph
Karen
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

[image error]  photo 6c0ea25ae597ea8eb5a4bf6103fd5317.jpg

Another sweet romance from our girl! I really liked it, although it started out a bit slower than some of her other books, and was just a wee bit more predictable. This is the second book of Kristen Ashley’s Ghosts and Reincarnation series. And while I’m a huge fan of paranormal romance, I don’t normally go for ghost stories. This one however was what I would consider very MILD in spook factor, leaning more to the sweet than to the creepy. At least that is how is felt to
Pam Nelson
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Sommersgate House Stars

Ok so I liked book one but I enjoyed book two just a little bit more.
The dynamic in which these characters come together is sad and heartbreaking. But also so very needed for all of them to heal.

The children needed a home, and the house needed a family. Douglas needed love and family who cared. And Julia needed to heal.

I didn't not like Douglas, in the beginning, I would call it cautious. I wondered why he was so standoffish and you learn why that is and your heart
Leslie
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book by Kristen Ashley! Although, I must warn you, it was 1,085 pages, (according to my Nook), and patience is a MUST while reading this story.

Lord Douglas Ashton is a wealthy, tall, dark and handsome Englishman who, years ago, inherited the mansion that is Sommersgate House. He and his sister, Tamsin, were raised in the house, by parents who probably should never have had children, and who also mentally or verbally abused them. Douglas's only glint of happiness was that brought on by
Raine
I had purchased this book ages ago and never read it until now. I really liked it and am wondering why I never read this book since I love Kristen Ashley. Maybe it is because I know that the story starts off with a tragedy and Douglas's sister and Julia's brother left three orphaned children to be raised by Douglas and Julia in a haunted castle. ...more
Vintage
Another Ghost in the Machine from the Ghosts & Reincarnation series. An improvement with a sensible but incredibly dressed Midwestern H that has to move to the Ice Lord's castle so she can take care of her orphaned nieces and nephew.

Chica has to give up her life in Indiana or some other midwest state in order to help raise or actually simply raise her brother's children. She moves into the manor with the shutdown and cold atmosphere that the H's evil, shallow, insert another BAD adjective Mother
NMmomof4
3 Stars

Overall Opinion: I did something I told myself I shouldn't do, and I'm kinda kicking myself for it. I read two Kristen Ashley books back to back. I was able to borrow the whole e-series from my library when I got it for Penmort Castle and I still had time left in the loan, so I thought "what the heck? Why not just read the next one?". I think it was just too much. I think I might've liked the better if I didn't read them back to back. I didn't like how the h pushed away so much. I also w
Al George
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I like friends named Charlie

don't disturb me

So, don't disturb me while I'm reading, ok? As in who wants to go to work when we could be reading this book?

Setting / Time / Genre: Current

Length: KA length (read: long but not too long)

Series: It looks like it is, and I guess I need to go back and find the first in the series?

Sexy times: Yea, but seriously? This was tame for a Kristen Ashley. As in I was surprised at how tame it seemed. Either that or I'm just hardened. Pun not intended.

groan

Plan on reading more by
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (SLOW)
3 sad Disappointing stars .. :/

only because i wish the story had a bit more of both Lord Archie and Lady Ruby involved you know ? ( that was seriously the real reason i picked up the book it the first place.) i DONT think my expectations were initially high for this book , but guess the ghostly reference in the summery and the absence of the good spirits ( until the climax) made it a bit hard to swallow....

otherwise it was a pretty sweet (view spoiler) read.i think m
AJ
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steamy, series, drama, romantic
I LOVE KRISTEN ASHLEY! I’ve said it before, but with each book of hers I read, I adore her more and more.

I went into this book suffering from a massive book funk, and I knew pretty much instantly that this would be the book to drag me back into the land of happy readers. When in doubt – leave it to KA to pull you through. She never lets me down, and she did it again with this beautiful story of love, family, and healing from tragedy.

Upon the tragic and untimely death of Gavin and Tamsin Fairfa
 B.E.Love
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
*Another re-read* The epilogue on this book gets me every time.
Julia's brother and wife died leaving Julia and Douglas(who's sister died) to take care of their 3 children in Douglas and his late sisters castle. Sommergate castle is haunted by the original owners and they won't be set free till true love is once again in Sommergate. As Julia and Douglas raise there nieces and nephew together they can't help but grow closer together and realize that there's more to there relationship than just fri
Nikki
Stupid iPad deleted my review!!!

Ok, I'm not home so I'll make this short, for now. I absolutely loved this book. It was beautiful and is definitely one of my top favorite Kristen Ashley books!!! The ending was spectacular, as her epilogues usually are. Tears of happiness, which was kind of embarrassing since I'm at work. But whatever. They were deserved! A proper review will be done when I get home!
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Narrator review: LOVE this narrator. I have no complaints.

Story review: I'm really enjoying this series. So far, the alpha's in this series are my favorite from Kristen Ashley. My only complaint on this one is the couple is hardly together and there is a little too much protesting from Julia. I need more couple time in my books...still a very good read.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Re-Read 2020 - 4★'s

Maybe the remainder of 2020 I’ll just do re-reads of favorites and Christmas stories in December.

I’ve been struggling a bit with books. I’m enjoying what I read (kind of), don’t get me wrong, I’m just having a hard time picking something I want to read. I’m busy, times are super strange, it gets dark the minute I get off work and it is starting to get cold (this is not necessarily a complaint just a fact). I could probably go on, but to sum it all up, I’ve been struggling.

So,
Gina
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Another KA hit! I was up to 3 am reading this book last night, I just had to finish!

Julia is appointed guardian to her brother's kids after he and his wife are killed. Part of the request is she has to move to England and live at Sommersgate House. And she has to share guardianship with her brother in law Douglas.

So Julia upended her life and moves to Sommersgate house. The house is haunted by the man and woman who built the house, forever doomed to haunt the house until the owner of the house
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
Spoilers ahead

I read each book in this series immediately after the previous not necessarily because they were so good but because I promised myself I'd complete the series. From ALL of the 5 books I've learnt.....

These women are big haired, horny, breathy dumbos! I mean they acted like they shared a single brain cell over the 5 books(except for thus h)
ALL these men are BOSSY and not necessarily in a good way
Every single H has had a LOT of women while the h's have MUCH less sexual experience

Now

• All Rhodes Lead Here
  • Storm Damage
  • Keeping 6 (Rock Point, #1)
  • Hands Down
  • Contract Signed (Triggerman, Inc. #1)
  • The Sacrifice (Seven Sins MC, #1)
  • Reaper's Legacy (Reapers MC, #2)
  • Ruthless Creatures (Queens & Monsters, #1)
  • The Favor
  • Riven Knight (Tin Gypsy, #2)
  • Fury Unleashed (Forgotten Brotherhood, #1)
  • Reaper's Stand (Reapers MC, #4)
  • Pushing Up Posies (Grim Dating #1)
  • The Bribe (Calamity Montana #1)
  • Runaway Road (Runaway, #1)
  • Writing Wrongs (Crow's Feet Coven #1)
  • More than Meets the Ink (Bowen Boys, #1)
  • Heavy Issues (Bowen Boys, #2)
See top shelves…
Kristen Ashley was born in Gary, Indiana, USA. She nearly killed her mother and herself making it into the world, seeing as she had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck (already attempting to accessorise and she hadn't taken her first breath!).

Kristen grew up in Brownsburg, Indiana but has lived in Denver, Colorado and the West Country of England. Thus she has been blessed to have friends a

Ghosts and Reincarnation (5 books)
  • Lacybourne Manor (Ghosts and Reincarnation #2)
  • Penmort Castle (Ghosts and Reincarnation #3)
  • Fairytale Come Alive (Ghosts and Reincarnation #4)
  • Lucky Stars (Ghosts and Reincarnation #5)