Start by marking “The Women Were Leaving The Men: Stories” as Want to Read:
The Women Were Leaving The Men: Stories

The Women Were Leaving The Men: Stories

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In The Women Were Leaving the Men, Andy Mozina draws readers into the everyday lives of characters who are instantly relatable but intriguingly flawed. Knocked beyond the brink by departed family members, curious obsessions, and unruly physical attributes, Mozina s characters climb and scrape their way toward intimacy, sanity, and redemption against the often-absurd odds o ...more
Published May 7th 2007 by Wayne State University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Women Were Leaving The Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Women Were Leaving The Men

Terry
Nov 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Nearly all of these stories are about men who are bewildered by the complexity of sexual relationships and the weirdness of gender identity in an unstable world: men whose careers are falling apart, cowboys and astronauts who aren't sure what to do with themselves, boys whose fantasies come true in ways that only reveal how unprepared they are for intimate relationships. Everyone is sexually abnormal in ways that make them vulnerable. Everyone is wounded and sad in ways that make human connectio ...more
Eldonfoil TH*E Whatever Champion
Aug 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: united-states
I get enough of trivial, middle-class America. I deal with it.
Sad to see it taking over so many of our literary channels. Tin House,
Florida Review, Massachusetts Review, Alaskan Quarterly, West Branch, Third Coast, and Beloit Fiction Journal all see these stories as worthy of print. Frivolous topics, frivolous writing. If someone likes it, okay. To see it in some of our "highest" literary journals shows how pervasive the emptiness has become.
Zinta
Oct 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
"Out on the ranges, out West, you get cowboy piles. Mounds of human cowboys. A cowboy lies on the ground (for no reason, it seems), and then somebody lies across him, and then a third guy piles on..." (from "Cowboy Pile," pg. 1)

How is it that nonsense can bring tears to our eyes? Because we are all more nonsense than sense? Could be. And if that is so, Andy Mozina, associate professor of English at Kalamazoo College, has taken a good look into our quirky side and piled the quirks up so high tha
Bonnie Campbell
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Andy Mozina's stories are a wild ride. The psychology of the book is brilliant and strange. This won the Great Lakes College Book Award. It's got some sex scenes that might make the squeamish squirm.
Kirsten
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library, fiction
What a fascinating, weird collection of short stories! My favorite was the title story, "The Women Were Leaving the Men," although I've also always had a fondness for "Cowboy Pile" in terms of just plain weirdness.
Nina
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary
This collection was really fantastic. They are memorable and creepy--with images that stick. The title story might possibly be my favorite, though I also especially liked the stories about the Catholic priest, and the doomed couple who drive across the country together.
Lhena guevarra
May 13, 2008 added it
Shelves: fiction
ahoy...its all about guys ...why girls choose to leave men...
Bill
Jul 19, 2011
Mariah Cherem
Sep 11, 2013
Jess
rated it did not like it
Jul 05, 2007