Start by marking “The Cuckoo Sister” as Want to Read:
The Cuckoo Sister

The Cuckoo Sister

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  145 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Convinced that her family's problems will end if only Emma is returned by the person who snatched her from her baby carriage, Kate longs for the older sister she never knew. But when a tough-looking stranger shows up with a letter claiming she's the long-lost sister, there's more trouble than ever.
Hardcover
Published April 22nd 1988 by Heinemann New Windmills (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Cuckoo Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cuckoo Sister

Melissa Holmberg
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It gives you a feeling on what life can throw at you and what it can give you.
Mackenzie Wilson
This week I read "The Cuckoo Sister" by Vivien Alock. I really enjoyed this book. It is about the main charecter, Kate who is an ordinary, happy-go-lucky girl until she overhears her parents discussing their other baby daughter who was snatched from her pram as a baby. Kate's feelings are confused, cleft between jealousy at her parents' sadness and a genuine sense of loss on her own part. Then, one day, a letter arrives at the Seton's house announcing that the baby is Rosie, now a thirteen-year- ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
I enjoyed this book -- it was so much more British than I realized. I didn't even realize it was British at all. But it's fairly British, at least with Rosie's accent and the demarcations of class in their society. My main problem is that I felt that Katie's character was not at all solid. Her internal thoughts often did not mesh with her external behaviors, and I couldn't quite grasp who exactly she was or what her motivations were.
Gina
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was pretty good. The characters are frustrating but in believable ways, and the resolution is satisfying.
Donna
I read this in school - a coming of age/battle with personal identity story, if I remember correctly. I remember liking it, but not loving it. Can't remember too much about it though to be honest.
Yang Zikun
I really don't know how to use this app.i found the book but I can't open it
Simple
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • One More River
  • Ghost Abbey
  • Burning Issy
  • Danny Means Trouble (Sweet Valley Twins, #40)
  • Last Summer with Maizon
  • The Queen's Nose
  • Grinny
Born September 23, 1924, in Worthing, Sussex, England; died October 11, 2003, in London, England. Author. Alcock was a bestselling author of mystery and fantasy fiction for young adults. Her early training and career, however, was in commercial art, and she attended the Ruskin School of Drawing and Fine Arts from 1940 to 1942. She left school to become an ambulance driver for the Auxiliary Territo ...more
More about Vivien Alcock...