Start by marking “Little Goblins Ten” as Want to Read:
Little Goblins Ten

Little Goblins Ten

Where the trees hide the sun
Lived a big mommy monster
And her little monster one.
"Scare!" said the mommy;
"I scare," said the one.
So he scared and he scampered
Where the trees hide the sun.

Published July 26th 2011 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Little Goblins Ten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Goblins Ten

Set
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: halloween

This is a cute rhyming counting book with Halloween creatures in the dark forest. The illustrations are fun and spooky.

My favorite rhymes:
Over in the forest
Where the fierce winds roar
Lived a gray father werewolf
And his little wolvies four.

"Howl!" said the four. So they howled and they growled
Where the fierce winds roar.

Over in the forest
In a hovel made of sticks
Lived an old mother witch
And her little witches six.

"Cackle!" screeched the mother;
"We cackle," screeched the six.
So they crowed and they cackled
In the hovel made of sticks.
Krista Lineweaver
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book, Little Goblins Ten by Pamela Jane, is a children's picturebook intended for the Nursery ages (birth-age 5). This story includes goblins, witches, skeletons, and other scary creatures in a forest on Halloween that are preparing to go trick-or-treating. It introduces the numbers, one through ten, by counting how many of each creature there are throughout the story. I gave this book 5 stars because I felt that it had a great plot and the illustrations were amazing. The illustrations cove ...more
Kathryn
4.5 STARS

This book is so cute and fun! From the very first page, you're singing along to the familiar tune with a sweetly spooky twist:

"Over in the forest
Where the trees hide the sun
Lived a big mommy monster
And her little monster one.
"Scare " said the mommy;
"I scare," said the one.
So he scared and he scampered
Where the trees hide the sun."

Many other creatures live in this forest, including werewolves, mummies, dragons,
Connie Klever
Really cute new Halloween story with nice rhyming text. Encourges counting & making the sounds of various Halloween creatures that are introduced on each page. Fun book to read with a group.
Beatrice Fox
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A rather simple book that in essence is a counting book but with all the characters being halloween monsters. Ingenius! And the art is both pleasant, a little cutesy but still in Halloween style with spooky characters. It's just kind of adorable seeing mummies and werewolves and goblins and such have families, especially single parent families. The poetry is nice to read. The repitition is there to help but it goes fast enough to not be totally bothered or bogged down by it. And how exactly do s ...more
Nicola
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Miss 3 and I like to explore different books at the library and try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.

This is a fun twist on the 'Over on the farm' lyrical story but with monsters instead. We don't celebrate Halloween but it is a nice way of helping with fears / anxiety in that the monsters don't seem scary at all.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween
Thank goodness this was well done, because if I have to read one more Halloween "Over in The Meadow" book I think I'm going to weep. Luckily this one had really charming illustrations, and was the best of the bunch
Ashley
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Got this from the library while my nieces were visiting and the two-year-old adored it. She asked for it each night and would “read” it to herself by counting to ten over and over. I really enjoyed it too.
Lori
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book! I love the illustrations - bats, skeletons, goblins...etc. It’s a spooky twist on the nursery rhyme Over in the Meadow and it delivers a Halloween treat for all to enjoy!
Lisa
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a good book for Halloween the kids at the preschool really enjoyed it.
Debi
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable! Find out why at www.-------
Donna Mork
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A counting book about goblins, ghosts, and skeletons.
Danielle
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cackling, rattling and howling at the moon all of the spooky creatures in Little Goblins Ten are getting ready for the biggest day of the year, Halloween. From one to ten they count up until they’ve perfected their talent that will ensure their success on the big trick or treat day. With monsters & bats and ghosts & goblins each and every Halloween creature is practicing and waiting for their own chance at Halloween fun!

It should come as no surprise that one of the holidays I
Amber
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book for little ones learning how to count.

It was in the holiday section of the picture books and I wasn't sure why that was until the very end. If you're little one likes werewolves, monsters, and goblins then this can be read all year round. The drawings aren't scary; they've managed to make all the usually scary creatures adorable looking without giving them huge round eyes to signify they won't harm anyone.

Especially liked how the families were all being raised by single p
Ryan
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: no-longer-own
In the past I've been a little hesitant to review picture books, not because we don't love them in this house, but because I've never really know what I would say about a book composed of page sized pictures and very little text. I will actually say I was intimidated by it. Even when I agreed to review Little Goblins Ten by Pamela Jane, I was still a little nervous. I just couldn't let those nerves get the best of me, I had to read this book, even if it meant faces down my fears.

By n
Heidi-Marie
Fabulous. The perfect choice for a Halloween storytime, preschool especially and toddler potential. I can just imagine the kids joining in with the creatures various sounds and actions. And the nicknames for the creatures! How cute!! Not your gory Halloween book. A fun one for the kids who like monsters but don't want to be scared by them.

10/31/12 & 11/1/12: It really was a perfect preschool choice. The kids and parents loved it. I had the kids show me the progressing #s with the
Mary Ann
With a spooky twist on the classic nursery rhyme “Over in the Meadow”, Pamela Jane has created a perfect read-aloud for Halloween. Starting with “a mommy monster and her little monster one,” Jane keeps the wonderful rhythm and rhyme key to a good nursery rhyme, full of rich vocabulary and alliteration. You’ll have fun counting the ten little goblins hiding, growling and cavorting in their forest home. Jane Manning’s illustrations are deliciously creepy, and yet fun enough not to be really scary. ...more
Kate Puleo Unger
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Little Goblins Ten is so adorable! It's a counting book, but instead of the typical items, this book has various "monsters" counting their children. Examples: wolves, mummies, dragons, etc. The scariest page according to Christopher is the zombies. They are pretty gross with their purplish faces.

This book is perfect for Halloween lovers or supernatural-type nerds to share with their kids. I really enjoyed it. And Christopher read it so well with the verse. (He'd heard Jim read it onc
Kevin Doyle
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: little kids, or those who love Halloween
We liked this picture book for it's rolling, rhythmic text and the counting exercise readers get as they enjoy the story. The illustrations are really fun - big double page spreads full of creepy creatures such as werewolves, mummies, skeletons and everyone's fave... ZOMBIES!

It's awesome at Halloween time because the monsters are unique, creative and appropriately monsterly - but not scary in the least. Our 3 yr old was especially enthralled by this book.

Would be a fantas
Krista
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Little Goblins Ten by Pamela Jane, is a wonderful counting book. My children loved this book so much, we had checked it out from the library. They did not want to return the book. I decided to order on Amazon, before I had to return the library book! The illustrations in this book are amazing, vivid in color and super clever. This Halloween book includes goblins (of course), zombies, witches, mummies, werewolves, bats, and more! I cannot say enough about the educational value either, makes a gre ...more
Christine Turner
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: concept, holiday
Can be sung to "Over in the Meadow."

Over in the forest Where the trees hide the sun. Lived a big mommy monster And her little monster one."Scare!" said the mommy;"I scare," said the one.So he scared and he scampered. Where the trees hide the sun.From monsters to ghosties to goblins, everyone's favorite beasties haunt and howl and rattle their way through their forest home in this silly, spooky twist on the beloved nursery rhyme "Over in the Meadow."Author Pamela Jane and New York Ti
Becca
Planned for Monsters/Halloween Storytime Oct. 27, 2016

I wound up not using this one because the group I had was really young and I went with the shorter books in my plan, but I think with older kids this would have been a big hit. I had planned to have the kids say the words that the little creatures say in response to their parents and then do the motions or make the sounds that the creatures on each page do - cackling with the witches, leaping with the goblins, howling, with the we
Nancy Mosqueda
This, is a very colorful counting book. The colors and creatures used in this book, such as skeletons, ghosts, goblins, witches, and wolves all create a very enticing book for young children. Each page, shows a different creature and a sound or descriptive adction performed by its mother that must be repeated by the young one. In the end of the story, all our creatures are gathered together for a Haloween celebration.
Peanut
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
MOMMY: The illustrations alone make me want to give this 6 stars, the words just sweeten the deal. I adore this illustrator. The writing is fun with just the right amount of repetition. A Halloween take on the "Over in the Meadow" nursery rhyme.

PEANUT: He loves to look at the picture and point thing out. All though he doesn't quite know what everything is, he definitely enjoys listening to the book as he will sit through the whole thing. 3 years old.
Erin
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Poetry
Copyright: 2011

This is a very fun book for young readers in October. The illustrations are terrific and make "scary" things more fun and approachable for the young readers. I like the rhythm of the language in this story and I have plans to use this book in my music classroom as a result.
Carissa
It's a Halloween-themed, rhyming, counting book. The only problem I had was that the zombies stared. To me, zombies are more active than staring. It would be more appropriate for them to walk. Or reach. They didn't look particularly zombie-like to me, but I understand that as a children's book they had to keep it pc.
Dena (Batch of Books)
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is an adorable Halloween book full of spooks and monsters. The rhyming prose is crisp, fresh, and fun to read. The illustrations are charming and well executed. A lovely harmony between writing and artwork. This is the perfect book to get you ready for trick or treating!

Books for Kids
Takishia Gabriel
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, rhyming-words
This book would be great to introduce students to rhyming words. The illustrations are great so it will definitely be a book that would keep the students attention. In addition to learning rhyming words this book would be great for counting as well. This book for teaching students numbers 1 through 10.
Nanci Booher
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have said it a million times....I love rhyming books. And this was no exception! LOVED IT! However, I only gave it 4 stars because it ended as a Halloween book (which is my favorite holiday) but I wouldn't be able to read the book in it's entirety at school because of the kiddos who don't celebrate. I will have to skip the ending when I read it outloud.
Jane
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book has the most adorably illustrated monsters, ghosts, and goblins you've ever seen. Accompanied by simple, rhyming verse this book leads you through the numbers 1-10 as you meet dragons, skeletons, zombies, and finally ten goblins. This is a fun read and recommended for older toddlers or younger preschool children.
« previous 1 3 next »

• 10 Trick-or-Treaters
  • Plumply, Dumply Pumpkin
  • By the Light of the Halloween Moon
  • Ghost in the House
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
  • Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Pumpkin Eye
  • Big Pumpkin
Pamela Jane is the author of thirty children’s books including C JUMPED OVER THREE POTS AND A PAN, TRUCKS ZOOMING BY, LITTLE GOBLINS TEN (Harper) and LITTLE ELFIE ONE. Her memoir, AN INCREDIBLE TALENT FOR EXISTING: A WRITER’S STORY, is a personal, psychological, and political adventure from the 60s. Pamela's essays have appeared in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The NY Daily News, Wr ...more