Start by marking “The Grief Frequency” as Want to Read:
The Grief Frequency

The Grief Frequency

After losing his wife in a car accident, a husband struggles with survivor's guilt. But in the dark, he realizes that the dead are never very far away. Not when there are secrets yet to be uncovered. Because Paul hasn't lost everything. Not yet. And as he struggles to separate dreams from reality, he is forced to answer the ultimate question: How far would you go to get ba ...more
Published June 24th 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Grief Frequency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grief Frequency

Start your review of The Grief Frequency
Kenneth McKinley
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Guilt. It can eat you from the inside out until you're hollow inside. Paul learns first-hand the power guilt can have over you when he convinces his wife that they should attempt to drive home instead of waiting for a storm to pass. As luck would have it, Paul loses control and his wife is killed in the accident. What ensues is wave after wave of immense grief that is escalated over the breaking point by his father-in-law, who piles it on by blaming Paul for killing his daughter.

Burk
Char
This Kindle short story was free. Thank you, Mr. Burke!
This short is a poignant one. I could feel the pain of the protagonist who lost his wife in a gruesome car accident. That wasn't all he lost. But what can he do to make things right again? Read it and find out.
This author is a master at making you feel whatever he wants you to feel. In this story, he shows off that talent yet again.
Highly recommended!
Frank Errington
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A novelette from one of the finest writers working in the Horror genre today. Kealan Patrick Burke's work includes Currency of Souls (which I loved) and more recently, Kin, which is on my "to be read" list, as well as the Bram Stoker award winning novella The Turtle Boy.

The Grief Frequency is about the aftermath of a terrible automobile accident where Paul's wife Caitlin is killed. Paul is deeply distraught and, to make it worse, his Father-in-law, Bill, blames him for the accident.

Tressa
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Burke's literary style of writing. This is a wonderful short story about guilt and grief in a marriage and over a death. The car accident is especially well written and detailed and it felt like I was in the car with them. I didn't find the husband that likable, and I'm not sure I was supposed to. This fact only made the in-laws' struggle for understanding and forgiveness all that more real and admirable.
David Brian
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Suppose you were to lose the love of your life in an horrendous accident, it's difficult even to imagine how one would cope. This is what happens to Paul, the protagonist in Kealan Patrick Burke's The Grief Frequency. However, amid the self-loathing and guilt over his wife's untimely death, and the scathing bitterness of in-laws who hold him personally responsible for the loss of their daughter, Paul learns something that may be the final straw leading to a breakdown (if, indeed, he is actually ...more
Bill
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read this short story immediately after Sour Candy. A tough one to measure up to as far a creeps go.

I guess this wasn't really meant to be horror, but more of a dark look at grief.
It was pretty good.
Chris
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hauntingly poignant, Kealan Patrick Burke writes about love and loss, and what haunts those who are left behind. Finely crafted short story, from one of the sharpest talents in modern horror today.
Stephen Cordingley
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought The Grief Frequency based on it being by Kealan Patrick Burke, and given the cover I expected a tale of ghostly unease. But this is not that book. However, what it is is a very solid story about the feelings of guilt and loneliness that accompany the losing of a loved one. In Paul's case, the trauma of losing his wife is further intensified by the manner of her death, and the disdain in which he is now held by her parents. The final straw comes when Paul learns a new truth about his los ...more
David
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
This was another great story by Kealan. His writing never disappoints.
Adam Light
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had only recently become aware of Burke while browsing short stories on my Kindle Fire. I downloaded this due to the great reviews all of his work seems to garner.

I was not disappointed. This was an emotional story, perfectly paced. I could feel the grief the main character was experiencing, and found that the choices he made were very realistic in the face of his tragedy.

This was not a horror story, which is what I was looking for, but I have to say I don't mind that a
Jenn
Gahhh, I love this author. This was tragic, beautiful, heartfelt, and deeply emotional. This is how a short story should be and then some. After so many meh stories I've read, something as simple but meaningful as this made me happy. I loved too that after the brutal violence of Kin which was amazeballs I read something by him that could be just as special.
Cynthia
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, horror
The Grief Frequency is an amazing short story. It's a story that will chill you to the bone without the need of blood, gore, and monsters. This story plays on the fear of loss and guilt, and will send your emotions reeling.

Paul loses his wife in an auto accident in which he was the driver. As if dealing with the loss of his wife isn't enough, her father hates him for it. With guilt and grief eating away at him, he begins to have hallucinations and drowns his sorrows with alcohol. Her father, Bi
Tammy
Another achingly beautiful story from KPB.
John Allen
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite writers. If you haven't read KPB yet, give it a shot.
Jason Parent
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
More moving than terrifying from my perspective, but solid writing and another great tale from Mr. Burke. Explores grief and loss and how the mind adapts to it.
Spencer
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a tale of grief and guilt, Kealan really makes you feel those emotions with his skillful writing that transports you right into the narrative. The horror is subtle but there is still raw pain throughout the book, and as a husband and father I felt actual dread as I read through this fantastic book.
Joe Hempel
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review courtesy of horrornovelreviews(dot)com

I admit that I'm only familiar with the fantastic Turtle Boy series by Kealan Patrick Burke. I enjoyed those quite a bit, so when I saw that this short story was free, I was quick to grab it and read it in between my other novel reads. I wasn't sorry I did.

The Grief Frequency revolves around Paul, and a horrific car accident that took the life of his beloved wife in a very graphic manner. There is a very intima
Julianne Snow
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Inside it was as I’d left it, hollow and draped in blue-black shadows like oil paintings of bruises. With more courage than I could claim in daylight or sobriety, I peeked over the back of the sofa and found no one there.”

The Grief Frequency by Kealan Patrick Burke is a gripping story of pain, regret, and deliverance. From the first word to the last, I was enthralled. To give you a glimpse into the context of the story, here is the synopsis from Amazon -

After losing his wife in a car accident, a husband/>After
Jasmine
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Grief Frequency is a short story by Kealan Patrick Burke, and in all honesty, it’s the saddest thing I have ever read by him. He normally does brutal, in your face horror, but this was definitely a lot different.

The story is about a man named Paul. Paul was in a car accident with his wife and father-in-law. Two of them survived, one did not. Now Paul is haunted by the memories of what happened that night. Grief overtakes him, and when he learns of something he did not expect, the
Elusive
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
‘The Grief Frequency’ is about Paul who struggles to move on after causing the death of his wife, Caitlin. The accident replays in his mind and soon he begins seeing visions of her and a child at home.

The tone of the story was deeply melancholic and Paul’s pain was conveyed very well indeed. His thoughts mirrored the way one who’s plagued by guilt and regret would think. His flashbacks to a few good and bad moments he shared with Caitlin were well-written too. The transition from one scene to a
Rachael Dixon
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Having read a Burke short story once before (Turtle Boy) I just couldn’t resist giving this one a whirl, and let me tell you - I wasn’t disappointed. Burke manages to paint an atmospheric picture and takes you on a sorrowful, dark journey with some very captivating prose along the way.

Now, the reason this story didn’t get a 5 star rating from me was because I wasn’t wholly certain of Paul’s motivation at the end (was his grief was too much to bear that he was giving up, or was he trying to recr
Mike Limon
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1
The Grief Frequency by Kealan Patrick Burke is a short story where the main character Paul finds out first hand the true meaning of grief under terrible circumstances. His wife is killed when he tries to drive home through a storm much to her objection. It's bad enough that he is carrying this tremendous guilt, but he suffers from nightmares and haunting reminders from his father-in-law who pushes him over the edge in the tradition of The Twilight Zone. Soon Paul had trouble trying to figure out ...more
???!!!
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Every sentence I read I'm more amazed by the ability the author has in pulling you into the vortex of the characters emotions, intensity of the story, and the complexity of the relationships btwn characters. If I really have to be picky I would say I wasn't really scared by the the book but more the pain by the character. Though it's a horror it didn't have the eerie ness that some other horror masters deployed in their book. Furthermore, though the introduction was remarkable somehow the ending ...more
Krystl Louwagie
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
A short, "Twilight Zone" type story. And maybe not that exceptional of one, but the writing was more imaginative than I'm used to. Very original and descriptive in odd ways, a bit poetic but not enough to be annoying. Fun little read.
Sujay
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Its well compiled few pages of human emotions bundled up with the paranormal. The best feature of this novelette being that you are bound to put yourself in the narrator's position and feel each and every emotion that the author intends you to.
Brian Mcclain
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
A very nice short creepy horror story, didn't run on too long, managed to get to the point and keep it going until the conclusion. And after such a depressing story it was nice to see a happy ending too.
Dave Thomas
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A terrifying real story of love and loss and redemption. A short tale told with beautiful prose that captures the emotions and feelings and actions of a broken man in a horrible situation, and his literal road back to his family.
Sandy
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
A beautifully written short story. I thought it would be more about the ghosts but it was more about the man dealing with his loss. If this is the way the author writes his other books, I'll definitely be reading them.
Chris Bowsman
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
No gore, no blood, no violence in the traditional sense, yet easily the most brutal thing I've read lately. After reading KIN, I'm delighted to find out Burke can bring it with the short fiction, as well.
K.N.
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a hard read, very disturbing. THAT’S WHAT HORROR SHOULD BE! That said, yet another brilliant effort from the ever amazing Mr. Burke. Touching but pitiful, the main character shows you how loss can consume you just as efficiently as any monster.

• The Rain Dancers
  • In the Tall Grass
  • The Atrocities
  • Witching Hour Theatre
  • Obedience (Submission, #1)
  • Dead Voices (Small Spaces #2)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Take It All
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • Invasion of the Body Snatchers
  • The Canterville Ghost
  • Back on Murder (A Roland March Mystery, #1)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • The Dispatcher
  • The Night Masquerade (Binti, #3)
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Sphere
Born and raised in a small harbor town in the south of Ireland, Kealan Patrick Burke knew from a very early age that he was going to be a horror writer. The combination of an ancient locale, a horror-loving mother, and a family full of storytellers, made it inevitable that he would end up telling stories for a living. Since those formative years, he has written five novels, over a hundred short st ...more