Start by marking “Tales of Edgar Allan Poe” as Want to Read:
Tales of Edgar Allan Poe

Tales of Edgar Allan Poe

King pest --
MS. found in a bottle --
Silence-a fable --
Berenice --
William Wilson --
Ligeia --
The assignation --
The facts in the case of M. Valdemar --
The pit and the pendulum --
The fall of the house of usher --
The cask of amontillado --
A descent into the maelström --
The tell-tale heart --
The black cat --
The masque of the red death --
The gold-bug --
The murders in the rue morg
Leather Bound, 304 pages
Published 1979 by The Franklin Library (first published 1843)

Start your review of Tales of Edgar Allan Poe
Amin Abootalebi Yazdi
Poe's work was always so dear to me because of two reasons: one of narration and another of a linguistic one.

The narration, story, plot, character, and form, all serve the darkness in his works. You'll see wicked people, sinister intentions, and dark pasts like we would see in our own lives.

And the language he uses is simply magnificent. For someone like me, who happened to find his book in his early stages of learning the English language, although the text was too complicated, it helped me un
Aya
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I enjoyed this one.
Nazia
After reading Frankenstein, I thought horror stories of the 1800s were not for me. Until I read Mr. Edgar Allan Poe.
livvingitup
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-the-bookshelf
Edgar Allen Poe is a literary genius

His prose is frightening, chilling and eerily atmospheric. His language choices only further enriched the atmosphere that he constructed with precision and mastery; and the setting were vividly imagined. They were so richly illustrated that I was almost afraid myself to venture into them. Poe is a writer that deserves so much more credit and praise for the gift he had for nothing will feel like this anthology does.

The stories themselves may have initially bee
Johnny
Feb 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I picked up this book, it was intended to be a reread. But I realized very quickly that there were a number of stories in this collection I had never read.

What can one say about Poe? Each time I approach his work, I walk away with something else. While not associated with humorous writing, I found many of these stories to be very funny. Dark in theme, but farcical as well.

The Eichenberg illustrations are absolutely gorgeous. If you have a chance to find this edition in a bookstore, take a
Erika
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Finally! I'm finally done with this book! Mr. Poe, you really can be quite insufferable at times. Way too descriptive writing to the point it felt he was just throwing filler fodder at us to increase the page numbers. Abrupt endings all around, tiring soliloquies... I was reading the Spanish version (not the best translation ever, to be honest), so perhaps the reading experience would have been much more enjoyable if I had the text's original version. Maybe I just don't get Poe, maybe it's the g ...more
blake
I mean, it's Poe. What do you want/expect? If you like Poe, this is Poe. If you don't like Poe, this is still Poe. Poe est. Apart from the usual suspects ("Cask", "Heart", "Usher"), some slightly rarer entries, like "The Gold Bug"—which is basically a shaggy dog/cipher story—and much rarer entries like "Berenice", "A Descent into the Maelström" and the "Fight Club" presaging "William Wilson".

"The Gold-Bug" starts out with a typical Poe "hero", a man with an obsession telling his weird story to a
Bilge
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I normally define myself as not a tale person. Tales are so short and so cursory to me. However, Edgar Alan Poe is obviously a master spooky mind of tales and I felt sincere envy of his dark intelligence while I was reading them. So, The Gold Bug and Murders In The Rue Morgue are my favorites.
katja
The Tell-Tale Heart
The Black Cat
The Cask of Amontillado
Iclirius
after a time with practice you realize those narratives are unique, not same in Spanish than in English.
Jaclyn
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted these type of classics to add to my book collection.
This was just a first one through . I will be reading it again and hopefully understanding the second & third times.
Osama Siddique
This is a very good selection - in a beautiful bound edition with B &W stylized and highly compelling illustrations by Harry Clarke - that is divided into three sub-genres, a great testament to Poe's remarkable talent and versatility.

(1) Tales of the Grotesque & Arabesque

King Pest - truly conveys a sense of grotesque as two drunk sailors flee a pub and make over to the barricaded part of London ravaged by plague and decomposition. The diction is deliberately ornate and highfalutin, the characte
عبد القادري
Last book of 2019.

A collection of short stories through which Poe proves he is one of the few masters of this art.

Although the last few stories sunk in details, the first part of the book stands out, especially "Lionizing", whose satirical theme applies nowadays.
Debbie
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, gothic, horror, own
Although this was on my "Want to Read" list for some time, I especially wanted to read this book now after being intrigued by the references to Poe's works (some familiar, some not) in the story THE WIDOW OF PALE HARBOR. Unfortunately, this particular book (of 11 tales) does not include any of Poe's poetry. Edgar Allan Poe is truly the "father of modern horror"! Overall, his stories are very dark and macabre. My favourite in this collection was "The Pit and the Pendulum" - intense! Although some ...more
Amy Reade
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a collection of some of Poe's better-known works, including The Purloined Letter and The Murders in the Rue Morgue, two of my favorites. It did not include The Raven, though I wish it had. It's interesting to read American fiction from the nineteenth century to see how far readers' preferences have come. If someone tried to write like Poe now, people likely wouldn't take the time to read the book. It was good to sit down and force myself to read slowly and enjoy the stories. Some of the ...more
alvaro navas
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Passion, madness, fear. Those three elements are probably the cornerstone of each of the stories Poe made up.
Considering this author a master in gothic short stories, there isn't much left to be said.
Taking for granted that the idea of gothic literature might be considered out of fashioned, the reader experiments a thrilling, shocking atmosphere to the unknown. An apparition that is faded away through the walls of a massive castle, a domestic, innocent cat that chases all of the human mind's f
Heriastuti Puteri Utami
Ghost? No.
Monster? No.
Serial killer? Nah.
For Poe, horror is about dragging you to the very center of raging storm, taking you to a closed and dark room with bad circulations and a swinging ax waiting to chop you into pieces, bringing you to the darkest deepest mind of someone where you cannot even be sure if you're seeing a sanity...
His definition of horror is terror.
His best friend is solitude.
His favorite character is lunatic.

My favorite is The Pit and the Pendulum.
Jeanette
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This is one of those "ought to read" books that has been sitting on my bookshelf for years. I finally decided to read it.
It's written in the stilted Victorian manner, and had many references to Greek and Roman mythology that I didn't know and simply glossed over. But as I read one story after another, I got used to Poe's rhythm, and began to notice his use of adjectives and adverbs colored the stories. After a while, I came to enjoy each story.
While not a quick and easy read, I am glad I read i
Dzura
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
reandwa.blogspot.co.id/2016/01/book-r...

The novel composed of 13 short stories he wrote. The excess his work is his ability to convey the psychological to the reader, so that it can bring the reader feel the main character felt. Perhaps many who think his short story less attractive or too short, but I think is good, because at the time of the Edgar Allan Poe, most people read short stories and do not have much time to read novels.
Therese | bookish therese
4/5 stars!

It's not that I didn't love every story in the collection, however, I did learn that I need absolute silence and no distractions while I was reading. Especially for the section "Tales of the Macabre". It was really difficult (for me personally) to get into this collection since they put his first work at the beginning so it wasn't the Poe I was expecting. However, I do recommend this lovely collection and I'm sure I'll pick it up again in the future and just take my time with it.
Eric
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in my quest to round out the list of things I should have read but never did. All the classics are here, some of which I did read in junior high, as well as other, lesser works. The gothic stuff is the best, the science fiction is painful. The mysteries are fine enough, a bit simplistic and too pat. Clearly, though, Poe was an innovator in a number of fields, and much of his work still holds up today.
Antoinette Palmieri
Back in 1990 something I saved up my allowance $ to be able to buy this book. I was So excited when mom took me to Walden Books. And $20 later it was mine!

I have always liked Poe and I liked him even more when I found out I was born on his birthday.

This is easily one of my most cherished books.
Abhranil Dutta
If you are fond of literature and you want to read a classic, you should definately read this..!! :)

Edgar Allan Poe was one of the classic example of the authors who wrote in gothic style..!!

This book is a collection of stories by Edgar Allan Poe. The stories constitutes of sarcasm, dark characters and fear of death..!
Ruth Dahl
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Edgar Allen Poe is a bit of a difficult read on the first try, and I had to google synopsis' for some of the tales to get what had happened, but on re-reads his genius really comes out.
He really did master the art of insane narrators and creepy tales
Emily Resnick
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love everything Edgar Allen Poe. He was a madman and literary genius.
Villaron Hernandez
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
pretty good, but it isnt as scary or creepy as my friends told me .
Ayacchi
It's tiresome.. I don't think I'll read another Poe's work in the near future
Destini Petitt
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poe is amazing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Edgar Allan Poe Biography? 1 2 Mar 26, 2019 01:02PM
Goodreads Librari...: Add Cover - Personal Collection 3 22 Jan 24, 2017 01:45PM
Turkish Reading C...: Edgar Allan Poe - Bütün Hikayeleri ile ilgili tartışma 8 67 Mar 05, 2015 03:48AM

• Cuentos de miedo
  • The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ
  • Crooked River (Pendergast, #19)
  • Mafalda 1
  • Outtakes
  • The Cat Lover's Compendium: Quotes, Facts, and Other Adorable Purr-ls of Wisdom
  • The Encyclopedia of Signs & Symbols