Start by marking “Devil to Pay (Night Huntress, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Devil to Pay (Night Huntress, #3.5)

Devil to Pay

(Night Huntress Universe #3.5)

Originally published in Four Dukes and a Devil.
Blake Turner had it all until a demon decided to take residence in his soul. Plagued with constant black outs and a trail of dead bodies in his wake, Blake thinks vampire Elise is his best chance at ending the nightmare. It's just too bad he's fallen in love with the gorgeous vamp right before he has to die.
Published August 23rd 2011 by Avon (first published June 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Devil to Pay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil to Pay

Sophia Triad
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book about Blake Turner (a human possessed by a demon) and vampire Elise (a lonely creature who is sired by Mencheres). You will see only a glimpse of Cat and Bones and you will not like it because the demon will abuse verbally Cat and Bones will almost kill poor innocent Blake to make the demon shut up.

The events take place after At Crave’s End. So Mencheres is still mourning the death of his mate and he really wants to help Blake and Elise.

Blake and Elise’s story is sweet and full of
Jilly
Don't waste your time or money.

Actually, this gif is better than the story.
There are very few book series that make me want to seek out every single piece written just so I can keep living in the characters' world with them. Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress Series is one of them. As many know, the series has ended but there are plenty of short stories/novellas available for fans. Devil to Pay is #3.5 of the series, and it's an entertaining short story featuring characters fans know and some that fans will meet for the first time. The characters are likeable and compleme ...more
Pam Nelson
5 Devil to Pay Stars

Ahh we get a glimpse of Cat and Bones!! Yah, Ok ok so Blake is possessed by a demon, and he likes to show up and take over Blake’s body and do terrible things. Blake can feel when he is coming and he wants to stop it.

The only way he knows how is to kill himself, and he was ready to do it when Elise a vampire stumble upon him before he can.

Elise wants to help so gets in contact with our favorites Cat and Bones who contact Mencheres who is also Elise sire, who help her when s
Alex is The Romance Fox
A fast-paced and nice short story of Blake, possessed by a demon and saved by vampire Elise.

A short appearance by Cat and Bones but it’s Mancheres that plays a bigger part in this enjoyable addition to this series.
Sheri
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Of the Night Huntress short stories I have read so far, this is my favorite. It was a complete short story of its own with characters we knew, as well as some new ones. I knew there would be some sort of HEA, and it did not happen the way I was expecting. Knowing what we do of Frost's supernatural world at this point in the series, I had figured on a different ending. (view spoiler) Overall, an enjoyable stor ...more
Teresa Mary Rose
Well I have yet to find a book in this world that I don't love. This novella was another great addition to the series and I absolutely loved Blake and Elise.
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
Fast paced, short read but completely satisfied. Nice to get a little Bones & Cat fix!!
Kübra  Yağmur Aslanhan
Mencheres ile ilgili daha çok şey okumak istiyorum. 🤗
Carrie
Okay so these two better make appearances in future books!!
Rosemarie Short
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is by far my favourite novella by Jeaniene Frost to date.

Considering how short this is, I found Blake and Elise were both well rounded enough for me to really enjoy their growing relationship. Interactions were at times a little cheesy, but when you're accelerating a romance in the space of 100 pages I guess sometimes a little cheese is good to make things stick. However, of course, my favourite character was Night Huntress staple Mencheres. I hear there is a Night Huntress World book focu
Robin
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, urban-fantasy
Elise is a vampire who is tired of everything. She has shut herself away in a room underneath the subway and hasn't had much contact with vampires or humans in years. But when she stumbles across a man ready to jump in front of a subway train, Elise doesn't hesitate to save him. Blake wants to end it all. He has been possessed by a demon and has no control over the destruction the demon has caused. Elise decides she will help Blake get rid of this demon with the help of her sire, Mencheres.

This
Pete
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: frost-jeaniene
Devil to Pay is book 3.5 in the Night Huntress series, by Jeaniene Frost .

This is fun read addition to the series featuring Elise a vampire and Blake who is possessed by a demon.

Elise who is living in an abandoned metro station and meets Blake who is determined to commit suicide to be quit of his horrible existence.

There are short appearances by Cat & Bones along with Mencheres who supports Elise in trying to help Blake.

This is a fun addition to the series and I certainly don’t want t
Nicole
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jeaniene-frost
Elise & Blake . . .

Part of Four Dukes and a Devil by Cathy Maxwell

Bones & Cat made a very short appearance - but this novella is focused on Elise & the demon-possessed Blake - with Mancheres playing a bigger role than Cats & Bones.

Blake's dilemma is that he's possessed by demon Xaphan. Elise is determined to save Blake - and needed Mancheres' help in the process . . .

This is a good short read. But I somehow hoped to read more . . .

Overall: 3.5 stars
Britta ★ Nachteule ★
This little novella tells us about Elise a vampire under Mencheres's line. And about Blake a demon possessed human. - Of course Cat and Bones have a tiny appearance!

This novella I would have liked also if it wouldn't have taken place in the Night Huntress Series.

*********************
First re-read: 04.02.2016
Read: 2013
Karla
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweet-romance
Nice little short story that involves some new characters and a few of our series favorites.
Deanna Perkins
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another fun installment in the Night Huntress world. I love Jeaniene Frost’s writing style and her sense of imagination! In this installment our main characters are Elise and Blake, but you still get the cameo appearances of Mencheres, Bones and Cat!

Blake use to be an average guy. He is a divorced man who was a broker leading a normal life, until a demon possessed him. After several times of the demon taking over his body and spilling innocent blood Blake is at the end of his rope…he has decided
Melindeeloo
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Blake's life is a living hell, possessed by a demon who has turned Blake into a killer, Blake knows that he must die so that the demon will never hurt anyone again, but with the demon calling the shots it's not going to be easy. When loner vampire Elise witnesses Blake's suicide attempt, the hopelessness of his situation stirs her long lost humanity and as Elise gets to know Blake and is touched by his selflessness, Elise discovers that even though she's immortal by isolating herself to protect ...more
Kathy
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Short but Satisfying!

I delayed reading Four Dukes and a Devil because the only short story I was interested in was Cat and Bones. I'm so glad this novella has been separated from the other stories in that anthology. Cat and Bones are not the focus of this novella, however brief the encounter, it was fantastic to get a touch of them, and it was also a fantastic treat to have Mencheres as well.

It is not necessary to be familiar with the Night Huntress series in order to follow along with this nove
UltraMeital
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella, urban-fantas, m-f
What a sweet story! Really enjoyed this one! Again, it's Night Huntress World, not a Cat and Bones novella. Cat and Bones appear briefly since the main heroine - Elis - is sired by Mencheres.

Elis has always been a loner. The minimum she does interact with humans is due to her maker who insists she try to mingle in the modern world.
All this changed when she met Blake, a human possessed by a demon making him a killer when the demon takes hold of his body.
Blake had enough all he wants to do is die
Poppy Fields
Love, loved, loved this novella. Jeanine Frost weaves a delicious love story with great character development in such a short format. Cat, Bones, and Menchares are all in the story and add a great touch to the story true to their characters. Elise is a Menchares' "child" and a social outcast making efforts not to isolate herself when she stumbles across Blake. He has been possessed by a terrible strong demon and has been tormented for months finding the carnage he has caused when waking from his ...more
Michelle ♣ Ndayeni
This was a very poignant story that will take you through a variety of emotions, though largely various shades of heartbreak, tinged at times with despair. While it doesn't seem to have any direct bearing on the main story of the Night Huntress series, we do see some of the characters from it. Cat and Bones play a significant, if relatively brief, role, and Mencheres features prominently. Even without these known characters, however, the new characters we meet here make it totally worth reading ...more
Nicholas
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story because of the relationship twist. This time its a leading female vampire and a male human. Cat and Bones make a good appearance and even though the heroine isn't a ball buster like cat i believe she is strong. solitude is rough, doing it for 50 years even rougher, getting out of your comfort zone of 50 years for a stranger to help them even tougher. JF is always good in my opinion, its more than worth a read.
Marianne
A man possessed by a demon. A female vampire, withdrawn from the modern world.
Two vulnerable people who meet under dire circumstances but are able to heal one-another in the end...

I suppose we have the demon, Xapham to thank for this sweet love story;-)

Mencheres made a nice cameo appearance. Cat and Bones were in this story too, but frankly, I could have done without that part since they didn't really add anything to the story.
Ronda
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely short story and hello Mencheres!

I loved this side line, I got rather caught up in it and it tugged on my emotions and normally short stories don't really do that but hey, we are talking Jeaniene Frost here!!!

Truly recommended to all Jeaniene Frost fans!
Maria Dimitrova
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Demon possession and a cameo from Mencheres, Bones and Cat. FUN!
Meg (booksandwinewithmeg.blog)
Nice little quick read:-)
Ray
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: vamp-romance
I liked this little novella. it was good. I thought the story was well written. It's characters added to my current reading of Kiss of Eternal Darkness. I would say it is worth reading for sure. always nice to have a quick side story.
Cyndi
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice little side trip.
Livia
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal junkies (incl. vampires & demons)
Recommended to Livia by: 1
Good side story!

Minor Spoilers Alert!!!

It was easy to get into even though it focused on Elise and Blake, two new to the Night Huntress series characters. Cat and Bones, series regular main characters, offer Elise some demon wrangling assistance as well as Mencheres who has a slightly more involved supporting role.

★.•**•★Unabridged Audiobook Info★.•**•★
Narrated by:
Tavia Gilbert
Length: 2 hrs and 18 mins
Release Date: 06-24-14
Publisher: HarperAudio
Main Characters: Elise (a reclusive vampire) and
  • Weddings from Hell
  • Four Dukes and a Devil (The Byrons of Braebourne #1.5)
  • Unbound (The Hollows, #7.5; Night Huntress, #0.5; Sign of the Zodiac, #4.5; Dark Days, #0.6)
  • A Family Affair (Cassandra Palmer, #4.1)
  • Midnight Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #8.5 & #10.5)
  • Death's Excellent Vacation
  • Nice Girls Don’t Sign a Lease Without a Wedding Ring (Jane Jameson, #3.5)
  • Forbidden Blood (House of Comarre, #0.5)
  • Let It Bleed (WVMP Radio, #3.5)
  • Vampires in America: The Vignettes, Volume 1 (Vampires in America, #5.1)
  • Eternity Embraced (Demonica, #4.5)
  • Hunter Kiss (Hunter Kiss, 0.5)
  • Last Request (Soul Screamers #7.5)
  • Wait for Dusk (Dark Days, #5)
  • Wasted (Elemental Assassin, #2.7)
  • Scouting Jasmine (Jaz Parks, #0.5)
Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series, the Broken Destiny series, and the upcoming Night Rebel series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in Florida with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps i ...more

Night Huntress Universe (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4)
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World, #2)
  • This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5)
  • One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6)
  • Once Burned (Night Prince, #1)
  • Twice Tempted (Night Prince, #2)
“if I didn’t care about anyone, then no one could hurt me.” 1 likes