Start by marking “Gebranntes Kind (Star Trek - New Frontier: The Captain's Table)” as Want to Read:
Gebranntes Kind (Star Trek - New Frontier: The Captain's Table)

Gebranntes Kind

(Star Trek: The Captain's Table #5)

Es gibt eine Bar, die sich „The Captain’s Table“ nennt. Dort können sich diejenigen, die mächtige Schiffe jedweder Form und Ära kommandiert haben, treffen, um sich zu entspannen und ein oder zwei Drinks mit anderen ihres Schlags zu genießen. Manchmal kann es zu einer Schlägerei kommen, aber das bleibt alles mehr oder weniger in der Familie. Wichtig ist nur, dass die erste ...more
Published August 10th 2011 by Amigo Grafik (first published October 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Gebranntes Kind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gebranntes Kind

Alejandro
This is one of the best Star Trek novels that I ever read!

GREAT STORIES NOT ALWAYS HAVE A NICE ENDING

This book is positioned in a solid 5th place, in my very personal top list of Star Trek novels that I have read, and I still can't imagine something able to make it to lose its high position.

Sadly, it's very likely that a lot of Trekkers and sci-fi fans haven't read it.

Since it's part of the event The Captain's Table (a book event where Star Trek Captains go to a certain kinda-mystical bar a
Jim Cooper
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best of the New Frontier stories so far, and a great Star Trek story over all. Fills in the details of Calhoun’s backstory that they’ve been hinting at in the other books. Parts are similar to TOS “The Doomsday Machine” which is an all-time great episode.

A heads up - the kindle version of this is terribly edited. You may want to try and find the paperback instead.

Minor spoiler:

I think I’ve decided that my favorite Star Trek stories are the ones about time loops and mutinies and this
Dianah
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100-books, star-trek
How unobservant am I? I realized 72 pages into the fifth book in the Captain’s Table series that each cover has a picture of the author of that book. Does that look like I imagine Captain Calhoun? No, but that is a pretty good rendering of Peter David in the background. I double checked this hypothesis with Dujonian's Hoard and that’s Michael Jan Friedman hovering in the back. I don’t know what the other authors look like, but you can pick out people in the other covers who look like they might ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, fiction
This book has a much darker tone than the preceding ones in the New Frontier series. Rather than a flavor of quirky humor and enthralling action, this book is instead infused with anguish and foreboding. Captain Calhoun here tells the story of what he perceives as his biggest failure, a time when he was caught up in a heartbreaking series of events. His wounds and regrets are still raw years later. But David handles this more brutal tone fearlessly, and presents an honest look at a complex unspo ...more
Daniel
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the best of the "Captain's Table" that I've read so far, this one didn't play around too much between the tale told by the captain vs a separate tale centered around the bar and the telling of the first. Also it helps that this captain doesn't exist as an actor on TV or film, so when you have his POV you don't have an established interpretation and seasons worth of material playing in your head looking for consistency. Finally, Peter David simply can write well for this kind of no frills ...more
Scott Miller
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While it's no surprise I enjoyed this--Peter David just gets better and better with each New Frontier novel--I am surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. I don't generally enjoy the fantastical sort of stories that sometimes happen in Star Trek books or series, especially any that occur on a holodeck, and the Captain's Table concept fits with those. However, Mackenzie's re-telling of the story of his first time killing and his time on the Grissom was the focus of this, so the setting wasn' ...more
Markus Korpela
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll be damned, if this just wasn't one of the best Star Trek books I've ever read. Loved the dark tone of it, and just loved how these books (and later series) keep shattering that over-optimistic utopia, that Gene Roddenberry envisioned. Make no mistake, I consider Roddenberry genius, and love TOS, but let's be honest. UFP and it's people would never be perfect. There would be grief and suffering. Just like in this book.

Best of New Frontier so far. And then, unto the next one.
Craig
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
This is how you use the Captain's Table to its best potential. It's a rarely interrupted narrative, unless Calhoun went off on a rabbit trail which he sometimes did, and a good story to boot told from the Captain's perspective and stuck to his end, and his interpretation, of the events. It helps that Calhoun is a creation of the author but this didn't fall into the usual pit that the New Frontier series often did which was getting mixed up in the stupidity of the nonsense on board the Excalibur ...more
Sean Randall
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, yes. This was super. Peter David’s always treated the Trek universe with his trademark irreverence, and Calhoun positively blazed here. The voice is naturally as authentic as it comes, and the whole story just works so well, it’s hard to stop for breath. Without doubt, the best entry of this saga.
Jerome Maida
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Trek book by Peter David.
David Palazzolo
Easily the most introspective of all the New Frontier books so far, this 7th entry also suffers from the most problems--not all of which could be anticipated by Peter David at the time of writing. The book's main failures stem in part from the fact that it ran a little long and is somewhat inconsistent with the set up presented in Fire On High. Also, as bad as things got, I don't think what happened could inspire such internal angst in Mackenzie Calhoun, particularly when one considers all of Ma ...more
Chris McCown
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathleen
I really liked this book. Yes, the constant hinting about the horrible thing that happened on the Grissom in M'k'n'z's secret past was somewhat intriguing/annoying, but this is just about the best answer that question could get.

Because yeah, sometimes bad things happen. Everyone has a breaking point. Knowing that and not being horribly disillusioned by it are two different things. I like Mackenzie Calhoun a lot, and this is a great piece of backstory that really fleshes out his character.
Jacque Hodges (Carter)
I'm not familiar with McKenzie Calhoun but I enjoyed his story. Kind of brutal in places (that's not the reason I liked it:-). I've been sucked in to all the Star Trek penned by Peter David, so far.

Calhoun quoted Kirk a lot and seemed to try to emulate him but in a no conscience sort of way. He was a rogue, but not a likeable one, in my humble opinion. I'll have to read more about him. Maybe I'll change my opinion of him.
Leland
Apr 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
3.5 stars. Peter David is one of my favorite Star Trek writers. This was a good adventure story. The "Captain's Table" concept, however is really kinda dumb and forced throughout the whole series.

This was my first Mackenzie Calhoun book, but I'd be willing to read more of the adventures of Captain Calhoun and the starship Excalibur.

Mark
Nov 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
The title is a mouthful, but Peter David comes through with this first-person tale told by Captain Mackenzie Calhoun. The Captain’s table format gives both David and his character an opportunity to tell a very personal story. I found it entertaining. You can find PAD among the crowd of the cover art.

Published in mass-market paperback by Pocket Books.
Darrell
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. If you are curious about Captain Calhoun and his past, then read this one. It tells the tale of his eatly strfleet days and how he had to go against his captain's orders. Really great!!!
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Excellent, like all of the New Frontier installments I've read. Peter David always brings an excitement to Trek novels that a lot of the authors can't manage.
Elizabeth Tai
3.5 stars. Started out slow but was really heartbreakingly good in the end. Calhoun's much alluded tragedy which made him leave Starfleet was fitting and also well done.
K
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5
Shannon Appelcline
The best New Frontier book of the first several (though it didn't appear in that series). Great characterization and backstory of Mac.
Ben Kidd
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek Fans
One of the greatest Star Trek Novels ever written... Probably not great if you are not a Star Trek fan but the themes are still great.
Matt
Dec 03, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
having read about 30 some star trek book, this is the only one I would actully say was good
Loki
One of the better entries in this series - a little less humourous, a lot more more heart-rending. It's one of the saddest books in the Star Trek universe.
infael
Dec 22, 2018
Michael Falkner
Sep 12, 2014
Craig
rated it did not like it
Feb 12, 2018
Elena. (theresmiling)
Dec 26, 2009
  • Where Sea Meets Sky (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #6)
  • The Mist (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #3)
  • Fire Ship (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #4)
  • Dujonian's Hoard (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #2)
  • War Dragons (Star Trek: The Captain's Table,  #1)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • The Badlands, Book One of Two
  • Q-Strike (Star Trek: The Next Generation #49; The Q Continuum, #3)
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • Vulcan's Heart
  • Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2)
  • Avatar Book Two of Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine)
  • Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Behind Enemy Lines (Star Trek: The Dominion War, #1)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum

Star Trek: The Captain's Table (7 books)
  • War Dragons (Star Trek: The Captain's Table,  #1)
  • Dujonian's Hoard (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #2)
  • The Mist (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #3)
  • Fire Ship (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #4)
  • Where Sea Meets Sky (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #6)
  • The Captain's Table Omnibus