Start by marking “Wise And Otherwise” as Want to Read:
Wise And Otherwise

Wise And Otherwise

Fifty vignettes showcase the myriad shades of human nature

A man dumps his aged father in an old-age home after declaring him to be a homeless stranger, a tribal chief in the Sahyadri hills teaches the author that there is humility in receiving too, and a sick woman remembers to thank her benefactor even from her deathbed. These are just some of the poignant and eye-opening
Published 2006 by Penguin India

To ask other readers questions about Wise And Otherwise, please sign up.
Saumya L Sudha Murty's style of writing in this book is simple, lucid and very easy to understand. Simplicity of language is always a characteristic feature of…moreSudha Murty's style of writing in this book is simple, lucid and very easy to understand. Simplicity of language is always a characteristic feature of Murty's writings. It has no mincing of words, and is a book suitable for people of all ages.(less)
Omee Sejwal I think its good for every person as it gives life lessons

Arti
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wise and Otherwise: A Salute to Life is a collection of fifty one short stories baed on the real life experiences of Mrs Sudha Murthy. As the Chairperson of the Infosys Foundation, she has come across many types of people in her office as well as while travelling during the course of her work. Each story covers a facet of human nature and has something to tell. Her dedication states “For the ‘shirtless people of India’ who have taught me so much about my country”.

Her stories cover the length an
Shravanthi
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Sudha Murthy has used such simple narrative for all the 50 stories. Her work is truly 'a salute to life'. Every incident in the book left me either poignant, or ashamed or angry at the current state of people's mind. I would recommend everyone to read this. A very light read but filled with meaning.
Manvi Aggarwal
1) Honesty is not the mark of any particular class nor is it related to education or wealth.
It springs naturally from the heart.
2) Why do people lie about their achievements? Is it when what they have actually achieved is not good enough for them or for the people around you?
3) Give when you take. Do not take without giving.
4) There is a grace in accepting also.
5) Truth about women- India stands second last on the list of countries according to how emancipated their women were. The scandinavian
Saby
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book. The short narratives are so simple and easy to appreciate. It leaves you feeling warm and somehow more `human' inside. ...more
Soumyo Das
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hats off to Mrs. Sudha Murthy for her philanthropic deeds. It requires special mention even before reviewing the book!
Frankly speaking the book was a change from the stereotype books of fiction and its ante! Gracefully written, the book is about Mrs. Murthy's experiences while doing her work as a social worker. Most of the stories are reflective, and many contain comparative studies. Both are excellent.
Though written by a female author and containing details of outlook according to a feminine mi
Siddhangana
Mar 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cant-finish
Book lovers and regular readers should never waste their time or money on this book. The rating for this book is deceptive. Like another reviewer has said I completely agree this book has only got published because Sudha Murthy is Narayan Murthy's wife. The stories are poorly constructed and the author is full of herself, its shocking to see such work getting published.
Sukanto
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2013
I read this book when I was going through yet another mental crisis. And needless to say, so many knots in my head opened up so quickly once I finished it. The sheer passion with which Sudha Murty has composed each story is remarkable. Moreover, she does not want to show herself as a saint or yet another achiever out to help people. She talks to you, me and so many of us - to never stop introspecting and interacting with life. The stories in this book could be anyone's, for that matter. But read ...more
Mukundan Srinivasan
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Firstly this book is a much needed break from the Chasings, Murders, Mysteries, and Crime and others.

I picked this book thinking what might it reveal and in the end I was awed that I chose this one to read. Kudos to the author for giving such a script to the readers. The most I liked about is the elegance and simpleness in writing. A book of 50 odd short stories of real life experiences of the author which has enough power to tease one's heart and at least one fable will have close resemblance
Suriya Gayathri
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
The book is a wake up call for our moral senses. She portrays the lives of the poorest of poor people of India, human attitudes and character and makes us realise how blessed we are. I now know the true meaning of the word 'philanthropist'. I'm proud of Mrs. Murty for achieving heights and also for being a true human. One is sure to turn kind to people who are less fortunate than us after reading this book. It was also a chance to know the "real" India.
Debanjan
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
A good montage of stories but the number of "Infosys Foundation" references only goes to further strengthen what I've been hearing about this foundation off late, i.e. We help where our help is recognized in the form of media or print publications. Maybe that is why I lost interest halfway through this collection.
ANJALI
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I agree with each word, experience shared by Ms. Sudha Murthy. This was the first time I read her book. It is truly amazing. Each story will touch the chords of your heart. Along with that It will motivate you to help those needy people. It will teach you that there is still innocence, love and sympathy left in us. Looking forward to her books!!
Rebecca
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian
What a positive and inspiring read!!!! This book taught me that it is not the beauty of language but the way it is told that makes a story interesting. These are mostly anecdotes in the life of Sudha Murty during her charity work sometimes in remote villages..The author's personality shines throughout the pages..Will read more of this simple sweet lady.
Brijesh Patel
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice collection of her (author's) self-confrontations of varied experiences across diverse cultures & diverse mindsets of people. It gives the reader very simple things of life to be looked at and to be considered. It makes you think to be more humane which people tend to forget.

Someone once told - We, all, are *social animals*, trying so hard to become humans !!!

Happy Reading :)
Veena Chatterjee
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
if u are interested in listening to a woman crib and whine about how pathetic and disgusting this society and county is with a 'i am always right complex' in the tone of a panchatatra novel for 5 year olds with a moral at the end...this book is for you. otherwise i just suggest you move on and pick from a million other better authors...
Vishal Philip
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
There are few good stories but not impressive. I do have a great Respect for Sudha Madam but I didnt like the way she criticize of other people, she should have also thought about other peoples point of view.. There's even a chapter where she criticize the readers who criticize her.
Tam_ the_ med_bookie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books ever written. Non-fiction in the form of short story format. Highly recommended for beginners👍
Twinkle Vyas
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it ......
Indu Singh
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you are looking something to make you feel good, to take to in distant land or a gripping murder mystery or a book on long journey- I wouldn't recommend it.

BUT if you want to see how you work in a situation, how your friends and people around you are, how our big yet small country is and when it comes to values, humility and culture- This it is the book for you. 51 stories, small yet impactful incidents in the life of Mrs. Murthy, will bring joy and sometimes tears but overwhelming you each t
Apoorva
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Picking up this book was probably not a good idea. I had to travel by train for thirteen hours and I needed a book to keep me occupied during the journey. So I bought this book at the store thinking it would be a nice and simple read that wouldn't be too demanding in the general chatter and noise of the train. It did work in those terms. But it also ended up boring me. Non-fiction, however simply told or enlightening, cannot hold my interest for too long. The stories seemed repetitive and draggy ...more
Zarin
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
See positive points in others, be positive, be sensitive to other's problems and needs, realise that you are lucky to be healthy and alive, do what is right, know your limitations and strive to make a change.

This the second Sudha Murty book I have read and am awed by her clarity in thought and heart and writing. It is true we live in a world where very few people think and do what's right, but don't just curse..strive to make a difference.

Definitely recommended.
Anusha
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have read the other books of Sudha Murty before this and I didnot find this book as intresting as the other books with short stories..Some of the stories are good but not very impressive. I finished reading the book as I bought this book and I felt all the stories were either boring or dramatic(filmy) or biased.
Sameer
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Social workers are in a better position than politicians, bureaucrats etc to understand the reality at grassroot levels. More so, is a tireless worker like Sudha Murthy mam. This book is a result of her wide ranging experiences in dealing with people. These vignettes are educative, motivating, enlightening.
S
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first sudha Murthys book I read ; love the book, simple and beautiful presentation , Most of the narrations appear to be personal experiences of the author. They come from the depth of her heart. for me its an inspiring experience , i enjoyed the book for the last two nights, beautiful chain of stories and experiences.
Rubai Shinde
Jul 05, 2011 is currently reading it
This book touches the heart and leaves you pondering after reading each story. The incidents take place in our life too but we fail to observe them. Sudha Murthy just has the right eye to look and learn from all simple incidents in life. And thans to her for sharing them with all of us to make us better human beings. It truly depicts what life is all about:)
Biswa Ranjan
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
A compilation of short stories....simple,yet powerful.In life,we overlook many small small things which have immense values in our lives.Mrs. Murthy has explored those life teachings in form of short stories. 4/5
Sowmya's book world
Sudha maurthy's books always makes me think, every story of even 2 page has a intense knowledge and experience.
i think this is the best way someone can share their own experience in the form of story :)
Aishwary Mehta (The_Fugitive_Biker)
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
38th Book of 2018

Quote from the Book I Liked - 'Travelling opens the doors to knowledge. Without it, education is incomplete. (Page 67)'
Also
'I often feel that studying peoples behavior is more interesting than reading a bok. (Page 167)'

Rating - 4 Stars

Plot Summary - Fifty vignettes showcase the myriad shades of human nature

Pooja
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100-pages
Important life lessons fabricated simply and so effortlessly!

I had been an admirer of the author since the first book I read of her given to me by my mother. The admiration has only ameliorated day by day. Every now and then, I'm reminded of a lesson or two and a smile places itself on my face.

I'm much encouraged when I read her work. It reminds me of the time I used to spend with my family at home.

Ishani
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a nice read. The words and the thoughts are simple. For someone who likes literature, it is difficult to start with this book but as you progress it gets interesting as it’s full of real life event and morals. But nothing out of the box though. At times, the conversations implore a sense of teaching but the story continues.

Only after completing the book, you can relate to the title of it - Wise and Otherwise!
Sujay Malik
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I have been an ardent admirer of Sudha Murty's works, not just in the literary field but even otherwise. Her stories are such a classic reflection of our society and wicked and noble mindsets entrenched in human beings.

So when I read 'Wise and Otherwise' I loved the simplicity of the stories. There is nothing complex about them, which is also a stark reminder that simple virtues are easy to imbibe but difficult to follow. This common theme resonates in almost all stories. Societal norms, treatme

• I have a Dream
  • Speedpost: Letters to My Children about Living, Loving, Caring and Coping with the World
  • The Dark Room
  • The Very Best of the Common Man
  • India: From Midnight to the Millennium and Beyond
  • Great Indian Middle Class
  • I Too Had a Dream
Sudha Murty was born in 1950 in Shiggaon in north Karnataka. She did her MTech in computer science, and is now the chairperson of the Infosys Foundation. A prolific writer in English and Kannada, she has written nine novels, four technical books, three travelogues, one collection of short stories, three collections of non-fiction pieces and two books for children.

Her books have been translated int
“Life is an exam where the syllabus is unknown and question papers are not set. Nor are there model answer papers.” 68 likes
“Quantitatively speaking, 'conversation' is inversely proportional to economic standing. If you are traveling in a bus, your fellow passengers will get into a conversation with you very quickly and without any reservation. If you are traveling by first class on a train, people will be more reserved. If you are traveling by air, then the likely hood of getting into a conversation is quite small. If you are in first class on an international flight then you may travel 24 hours without exchanging a single word with the person sitting next to you.” 50 likes