Jump to ratings and reviews

Hoarding Handbook: A Guide for Human Service Professionals

Hoarding is a serious, time-consuming, and expensive problem for virtually every community across the United States. First responders often encounter hoarding unexpectedly and are confused about how to resolve the wide range of problems, from public health and fire safety violations, to housing violations, to concern for the welfare of children, elders and animals. Sometimes solutions must be coordinated across several human service disciplines. The first of its kind, this handy guide is a nuts and bolts resource filled with case studies, tips and strategies, and easy-to-use suggestions for professionals responding to hoarding situations.

Organized around the common ways hoarding captures the attention of social service providers, this user-friendly guide provides tools to assess the problem, to coordinate and delegate tasks among helping professionals, and to work directly with reluctant hoarders and those affected by the hoarding. Chapters give hands-on guidance and decision trees for who should be involved and what strategies are needed for each case. This book is compassionate and comprehensive, an invaluable reference for social workers and human service providers in a broad range of fields.

256 pages, Paperback

First published May 25, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews
Profile Image for Danielle.
29 reviews
March 29, 2015
Excellent overview for professionals. Good examples of assessments to use and processes for helping.
Profile Image for Nicole Roth.
92 reviews4 followers
May 31, 2016
This book is an excellent resource on hoarding. I picked this up to help me develop a fictional social worker character who encounters hoarding. The information in here was probably more than I needed to make a believable character, but I enjoyed reading what the authors had to say. The text is well-organized and the case studies were interesting peeks into what works well and what does not when it comes to hoarding treatment. This book gave me new insight into my character and I gained a greater appreciation for the people out there working with hoarding clients every day. Worth the read!
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.