Start by marking “The London Eye Mystery (London Eye Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The London Eye Mystery (London Eye Mystery, #1)

The London Eye Mystery

(London Eye Mystery #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  11,776 ratings  ·  1,438 reviews

Monday, 24 May, 12.02 p.m. The pod lands and the doors open. People exit in all shapes and sizes – but where is Salim?

Ted and his older sister Kat become sleuthing partners since the police are having no luck. Despite their prick
Published June 7th 2007 by David Fickling Books

To ask other readers questions about The London Eye Mystery, please sign up.
LuAnn Many idioms which are often explained, such as "you could have cut the tension with a knife," and Britishisms. Also fairly sophisticated weather words…moreMany idioms which are often explained, such as "you could have cut the tension with a knife," and Britishisms. Also fairly sophisticated weather words like isobars and anti-cyclones, but then many of us don't know exactly what they are.(less)
Conor I think it's great, but it's all a matter of opinion!

·  11,776 ratings  ·  1,438 reviews

Start your review of The London Eye Mystery (London Eye Mystery, #1)
Gwen the Librarian
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit, mystery
This is just an indescribably fabulous novel. Ted has a different brain from other people - he says he runs on a different operating system. When a cousin comes to visit and then disappears, it's up to Ted and his sister Kat to solve the mystery since none of the adults will listen to their clues. Using the art of deduction and his unusal way of looking at the world, Ted discovers clues to the whereabouts of his cousin that no one else observed.

What I love about this novel is the very frank way
unknown
Feb 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommended to unknown by: Evil blog
This YA "mystery" is told from the point of view of a kid with Aspergers, which means the writing is really affected. This worked for me in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time because i believed, more or less, in the character. Here, it just seems like a plot device.

After about 50 pages of dull set-up (kid's cousin boards the London Eye, never gets off, where did he go?) I got impatient and skipped to the end, skimming the last 50 or so pages for the resolution of what seemed a po
Veronique
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This title came to my attention through Robin Stevens. I love her series of Murder Most Unladylike and I received a notification that she had written a completely new book, sequel to this one.

The London Eye Mystery was written by the late Siobhan Dowd, author of Bog Child and A Monster Calls (through Ness), and features a 12-year old boy with Asperger's trying to solve the mystery of the disappearance of his cousin Alim at the London Eye. Children crime stories have bursted on the scene these l
Robin Stevens
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A warm-hearted and very clever mystery story like no other, with a charming and strong hero. I loved this!
Waller
Sep 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Is it just me, or does this read like a slightly warmed-over *Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime*. The disappearance of a kid from a closed capsule on the London Eye is an intriguing mystery, but the only possible solutions pretty quickly close down to two, and the solving of the mystery seemed slightly anticlimactic. The novel also violates a principle that would have adult mystery fans howling - the key clue to the mystery is not available to the reader.

Most crucially, though, is th
Ruth
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
What goes up must come down – unless you’re Ted Sparks’ cousin Salim.

Aunt Gloria and her teenage son Salim are preparing to move from Manchester, England to New York City. Before they leave for the United States, Gloria wants to visit her sister and her family in London. Salim has never been to London so his cousins Ted and Katrina are eager to show him the sights.

They decide to visit one of Ted’s favorite places, the London Eye. The London Eye, also called the Millennium Wheel, is the tallest f
Mandy Radley
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just having my lunch yesterday decided to have a rummage in the new book draw at work. When we were processing this book it caught my eye, I love the cover and the synopsis of the book sounded really interesting. Well 50 pages later thought I'd better get some work done. Ted and his sister Kat decide to take their cousin Salim on the London Eye before he flies to New York with his mum. Whilst in the queue a man comes up to them and offers them his ticket, saying he's chickened out at the last mi ...more
Ivonne Rovira
For the benefit of Americans: the London Eye isn’t an eye at all, but a Ferris wheel so enormous that riders can see 25 miles in all directions.

Londoners Ted and Kat Spark take their visiting 13-year-old cousin Salim to ride the London Eye; it is Salim who takes a free ticket to ride the attraction, but he never exits the London Eye when the ride is done!

Twelve-year-old Ted struggles with some of the more common effects of autism: He has an obsession (weather); when upset, he flaps his hands a
John
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a few pages to get into the narrative style of this book, which seemed at first artificially stilted and precise. Then I realized -- duh! -- that this was because our narrator, twelve-year-old Londoner Ted, has Asperger's syndrome. Pretty soon thereafter I got into the swing of Ted's way of telling the story and, though just once in a while I resented the painful literalness of some of his interpretations, in general I reveled in the novel's language.

Ted's cousin Salim has come to sta
Grace Lin
Oct 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was great! One of the best MG mysteries I've read, with dimensional characters and no annoying loose ends. Really impressed and was incredibly sad when I looked up the author and realized she was deceased.
Glen
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, young-adult
A kid goes up in the London Eye by himself. When the pod comes back down, he has disappeared.

His cousins try to find him.

Didn't really hold together for me.
Lari Don
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I’ve seen this book on the bookshop shelves many times, and never bought it because of the overly blatant ‘does exactly what it says on the tin’ title and the somewhat garish cover. But I finally noticed that it was by Siobhan Dowd, and belatedly bought it for my 11 year old, who stayed up very late one night to finish it (it’s the Christmas holidays, so that was fine) because, as she said, it’s about a boy who goes missing, and she REALLY needed find out if he was ok…
So, on her recommendation,
Edie
May 15, 2008 rated it liked it
I am not a big fan of books that try to get into the minds of people who don't think in the "normal" way (whatever that is) because I feel that the author might not get it right and give a false representation of that unusual way of thinking, or else give others the sense that their depiction is the way it is for everyone who thinks differently in that manner (I don't think I am being very articulate). And this book makes me uncomfortable along those lines. Also, the cataloger places it under th ...more
Mathew
When Ted and Kat's teenage cousin disappears whilst being on the London Eye, his extended family are left picking up the pieces and wondering what could have happened. Rather than doing nothing and fretting like the adults, Ted, our narrator and a young boy on the autistic spectrum, along with his rebellious and single-minded sister, decide to solve the case themselves.
Dowd wrote so well and this fast-paced and gripping story is no exception. Not only does she pitch the writing perfectly for he
Al
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this with a zany ten year old from Mars. He bloody loved it, and so did I.
What he loved was that there is an actual story. He also spotted the differences in the kids and was very indignant on their behalf. Particularly for the kid who made me cry. You know the one !
What I loved was the humour, kindness and compassion.
This is a clever and lovely book which demands discussion and chocolate. In our case it lead to a,midnight feast.

A quote from the brilliant ten year old who I am lucky to
Annie
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The story is based in London and an extended family, the story extends to include things which may happen in life and helps to make this story interesting. It looks at many categories such as culture, broken families and special needs and this gave many focussed talking points. It is an informative book but also a great read even for adults. It was also used as a Yr 6 topic of work and the children seemed to love it.
Karen
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This truly was an amazing book. The way all of the pieces in the book came together in the end is a sign of an incredible author. I loved the way Salim said "neek" didn't stand for nerd and geek, but was an abbreviation of "unique". That statement is truly true. I wish I had the brains like Ted!... But I'm fine with the one I have right now.
Judith
Apr 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensfiction
A reasonably good mystery for younger readers, but I found the characterisation of the Asperger's protagonist/narrator inconsistent and not always believable.
Victoria (Eve's Alexandria)
I enjoyed this clever charismatic middle grade novel, which follows Ted and his sister Kat as they investigate the disappearance of their cousin Salim from the London Eye. It’s serious at the same time as being sweet, and is smart about familial relationships. I thought Ted’s first person narration was well done, for the most part, with a nuanced approach to Aspergers. I’d probably recommend this for younger readers, 8-10. Looking forward to reading Robin Stevens’ sequel.
Amy Bailey
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
First of all, I should go into how I found this book in the first place. When reading "A Monster Calls" by Patrick Ness, I noticed it credited Siobhan Dowd as having the idea for the book. I looked into this a little bit more and learned that Siobhan Dowd had mapped out the storyline for her next book, and she tragically passed away before she could actually write the book. In her honor, Ness wrote the book using her notes, and in his forward for the book spoke very highly of her and told me I s ...more
Eve Leuzinger
A really exciting detective novel that I enjoyed from the first page to the last. This novel which focuses on two siblings journey to find their cousin who vanishes off the London Eye presents a gripping story line that is filled with many twists and turns so that the final conclusion can't be predicted until it is revealed in the narrative.

The author's investigation into what makes children unique really helps to build the characterisation of the main characters in the novel, as each child is
Lillian Meyer
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it
The London Eye Mystery is the story of how Ted and Kat, who are brother and sister, try to find out what happened to their cousin Salim. All they know is that Salim got onto the London Eye and never got off. This puzzling story had me putting pieces together and figuring everything out till the very end. The London Eye Mystery takes twist and turns and keeps you sucked in till the end.

One of the things I really enjoyed about the book was all the British slang the author included in the writing.
Kieran Fanning
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I first encountered the work of Siobhan Dowd when I was a judge for the Bisto Book of the year, now titled The CBI Book of the year. Her debut novel, A Swift Pure Cry, blew us all away with its beautiful and emotionally charged prose, and its tragic and fragile main character, Shell.
I then read, Solace of the Road, about another troubled teenager, albeit in a different era. And more recently, I reviewed The Ransom of Dond, with stunning illustrations by Pam Smy.
I love the work of Siobhan Dowd
Jenny
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this with a Year 6 class, and they loved it. The story follows 12-year-old Ted and his 14-year-old sister (Kat) as they try to find out what happened to their cousin (Salim) who mysteriously went missing when the three of them went on a trip to The London Eye. Ted, the narrator of the story, is on the autistic spectrum, and has what he describes as a 'different operating system' from other people. He is obsessed by weather systems and is very literal, often misunderstandi ...more
Kathy
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a great young adult mystery by Siobhan Dowd! I've been meaning to read it for a while, and I finally picked it up when I was desperate for a good mystery read. Reminiscent of Roald Dahl's respect for children and their intelligence and worth, The London Eye Mystery has as its main character and narrator a boy named Ted, whose brain is wired differently than those around him, enabling him to view the world from a less constricted place. When his cousin, Salim, comes for a visit and disappear ...more
Jessie
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The London Eye Mystery caught my attention for two reasons. The first is because Siobhan Dowd is said to be the original creator of the (fantastic) book A Monster Calls, and it's set in London and the (fantastic) London Eye obviously plays a large part in the story.

As far as a mystery book, The London Eye Mystery did not disappoint. I definitely wasn't able to guess the ending even though Dowd did a wonderful job of hinting towards it. The story comes from the point of view of Ted, a young boy w
John Frankham
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
A fun read, narrated by a young boy with Asperger's Syndrome. Aimed at youth readers, I think, and hits the mark.

The GR blurb:

'Monday, 24 May, 11.32 a.m. Ted and Kat watch their cousin Salim get on board the London Eye. He turns and waves and the pod rises from the ground.

Jamie
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 12-14, mystery
Agreeing with those who said it's a bit reminiscent of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, although for a younger audience. It is a fast paced story, and I think the audience will enjoy solving the mystery with the kids, although I'm not sure they have the clues to do so as much as they can follow along?

My peeve with the book is in its shape, and this is my new peeve. This is not a 400 page book, but the trim size is so small it makes it seem long. Its not pleasurable (to me) to
Emily
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
We listened to the audio edition, and my almost 10 year-old son and I were absolutely riveted by the story. The narration, by Paul Chequer is excellent, so much so, that when we returned from our road trip with only a fraction of our audio book listened to (as usual), rather than finishing the book more quickly in paperback, we kept listening to it in the car, whenever possible. I found myself wanting to make excuses to go out driving and get stuck in traffic.
Mariam Abood
I read this book tragically after Dowd died. I got it for free from school.

This book had an interesting concept and an interesting plot for me, unfortunately however, I found the characters and execution underwhelming which is why I could only give this 3 stars.

I don't know, I think I was expecting some killer plot twist at the end and that didn't happen.
2019 Roe Reading ...: The London Eye Mystery 2 6 Sep 14, 2020 09:48AM
Play Book Tag: The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd - 4 stars 1 20 Jul 02, 2019 01:41PM
NZ Intermediate S...: The London Eye Mystery 3 10 Oct 08, 2017 07:50PM
Future Teachers, ...: Janie Jones-Review 2 1 1 Oct 07, 2016 11:19PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #42 - The London Eye Mystery 1 1 Mar 04, 2015 01:37PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd 1 13 Jan 20, 2015 02:46AM

• Murder Most Unladylike (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #1)
  • The World's Greatest Short Stories
  • Death Sets Sail (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries #9)
  • Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #5)
  • Peril in Paris (Taylor & Rose: Secret Agents, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #1)
  • First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3)
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #7)
  • Spies in St. Petersburg (Taylor and Rose Secret Agents, #2)
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • The Case of the Blue Violet (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3.5)
  • The Case of the Missing Treasure (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6.5)
  • The Case of the Drowned Pearl: A Murder Most Unladylike Mini-Mystery: World Book Day 2020
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • High-rise Mystery
Siobhan Dowd was born to Irish parents and brought up in London. She spent much of her youth visiting the family cottage in Aglish, County Waterford and later the family home in Wicklow Town.
She attended a Catholic grammar school in south London and then gained a degree in Classics at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford University. After a short stint in publishing, she joined the writer's organization PEN

London Eye Mystery (2 books)
  • The Guggenheim Mystery (London Eye Mystery, #2)

News & Interviews

“Knowledge can be like the skin on the surface of the water in a pond, or it can go all the way down to the mud. It can be the tiny tip of the iceberg or the whole hundred percent.” 21 likes
“Salim,' She said, as if he were in the room. 'I'll have your guts for garters.' I has never heard this before and wondered what garters were. Kat told me later that they are what women used to wear around their thighs to keep their stockings up and they were elasticated. I do not think guts would be a tidy way of doing this.” 4 likes