Start by marking “Two Journeys” as Want to Read:
Two Journeys

Two Journeys

Alan travels to Tokyo on a routine business trip. A pandemic sweeps over Earth, and Alan finds himself to be the sole survivor. He has to set out on an unexpected adventure. In constant fear of injury, sickness and hunger, he decides to travel back Berlin, home of his family, across Asia and Siberia and 10,000 miles of hardship. This adventurous road novel visualizes with ...more
Published (first published August 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Two Journeys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Journeys

Start your review of Two Journeys
Carolyn
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and BookBuzz/Create Space for this post-apocalyptic adventure story in return for an honest review.
I found this book to be written in a seemingly effortless style, making it an easy and straightforward read. It is a long book. His frequent descriptions of his search for medicines, food, clothing and equipment might make some sections seem tedious, but I felt these preparations enhanced the plausibility of his survival.

Alan narrates the story Which reads like a diary of hi
Oliver
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
1 Man, 2 Dogs and a journey into the uncertain.

Two Journeys tells the story of Alan, a man waking up amidst the downfall of human civilization, trying to find his place in a new and mysterious world.

He is committed, scared, brave, inventive, and often hoplessly unprepared.
The book shows a highly realistic yet otherworldly and suspenseful scenario filled with ups and downs that will make you want to cry out of joy and clench your fists all in the matter of a few pages but one thing is for certai
Anneke
Publisher: BookBuzz/CreateSpace
Publication Date: April 1, 2012 (NetGalley Archive Date: August 30, 2019
Review Date: August 21, 2019

From the blurb:
“During a routine business trip to Tokyo, Alan finds himself to be the sole survivor of a global pandemic. A viral disease wipes away all of humanity... and Alan's past life. Fearing injury, sickness and hunger, he sets
Whitaker Jon
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book if you like postapocalyptic fiction. Big print, easy to read. The story is about a single man that survives a pandemic and travels across Asia to find his family. The story develops slowly with a lot of detail about the landscape, things that happen, the confrontation with solitude and death. Also details how the main character Alain needs to collect and keep his gear in shape. The dictator described in the book reminded me of some of the politicians that we suffer from at the moment.
S
Andy Phillips
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is essentially simple - a man on a business trip to Japan wakes up one day to find everyone else dead, so he tries to make his way home to Berlin to find out if his family has survived. That's the basis of the story, but the interesting part is the way that he deals with the situation and how he goes about making his way home. I'm personally interested in the details of this, but some people might find the endless descriptions of searching for food, clothing and equipment a little bit ...more
Sharon
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first time reading this author and I enjoyed this book. It’s a full-length novel with some twists and turns in the plot as a man journey’s across miles to return home. It’s not your usual post-apocalyptic books, there’s a lot of depth and thought in this story and I’m looking forward to the next book.

Linus Treefoot
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Two journeys is a real page-turner. I came to care about Alan, worry about him and feel relief when he escaped a dangerous situation. The journey is full of details as if the author made the journey through the same countries and same places as the main character. I ended up wondering what lay ahead for the survivors.
Heather Bane
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good read. It’s well written and keeps you interested. Looking forward to reading more from this author. I recommend reading.

Pat Eroh
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a gripping thriller that certainly gained my attention quickly and would not let me put the book down. I love dystopian books and this one is fantastic. I hope for more from this author.

Paul
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid PA story. A good amount of suspense with a little too much detail at times, This is the author's first book and it's a pretty good first effort. I enjoyed the author's creativity via the main character.

I really appreciate the copy for review!!
J.D. DeHart
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend Two Journeys for readers who enjoy exciting dystopian fiction. As a person who loves this genre, I found much to enjoy in this book.
Amy Dufera
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Clemens P Suter's Two Journeys is an impressive dystopian novel.

All told from Alan's point of view, the reader is sucked into this story of survival and rebuilding. From the start, as Alan wakes up and finds that everyone around him has died, I couldn't put it down.

Impressive with his vision, the writing is equal parts exciting and thought-provoking. The author excels in his creativity as well as his descriptions of the scenery. Everything is described in an excellent, detailed manner,
Ann
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is long with a lot of geographical descriptions. In some ways it helps you get the feel of Alan's journey but it also has you skimming ahead to get to more of his journey. It's a well written post apocalyptic story that many will enjoy. I always wonder how someone survives these stories. This book was first published in 2009 and some things things have changed in the past 10 years. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Sue
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. I am intrigued by a lot of post apocalyptic fiction but this one just didn’t click. I found the pace of the novel slow with an abundance of graphic descriptions which I felt bogged the story down. When I got to the overly technical pages I reached an “I give up” point. In discouragement I had to put it down.
My rating is based only on my perceptions and is a 3
Aaron
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
the book slowed down quite a bit as i slogged through it. There were quite a few unexpected very poorly selected phrases. left me shaking my head. on to another book.
Sonia Rudolph

• Japanese Ghost Stories
  • Zen ohne Meister
  • Furari
  • Fascism and Democracy
  • Tokyo Kill (Jim Brodie #2)
  • An American Spy (Milo Weaver #3)
  • Ragnekai Winds (The Old Wounds Trilogy #1)
  • Japantown (Jim Brodie #1)
  • The Best American Magazine Writing 2018
  • Stranger Things Have Happened
Clemens P. Suter is the author of fast-moving adventure stories. “Two Journeys” (2011) describes the adventures of the sole survivor of a pandemic. Its sequel “Fields of Fire” (2016) is the second installment in the Two Journeys trilogy. “Celeterra” (2013) is a dystopian story, centered around the theft of Charles Darwin’s testament. Suter’s novels are suited for all ages, they combine straightfor ...more

News & Interviews