Start by marking “Star Hunter” as Want to Read:
Star Hunter

Read Book* *Different edition

Star Hunter

On the jungle world of Jumala, a wanted man is in hiding -- a man whose mind has been imprinted with the brain pattern of another. As a deadly game of hide-and-seek begins to unwind, a man who does not know his own powers faces an interstellar safari determined to run him to ground -- dead or alive! "Nobody can top Andre Norton when it comes to swashbuckling science-fictio ...more
Published August 20th 2006 by Wildside Press (first published January 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Star Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Hunter

Start your review of Star Hunter
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Amazon freebie novella here, about 100 pages, pretty decent if you like classic science fiction and don't mind if it focuses more on action and adventure than introspection.

Ras Hume, a spaceship pilot now sunk to interplanetary hunting safari guide, discovers a long-lost spaceship crashed on an unexplored planet (no survivors) and has a bright idea. He visits a Mafia-type crime lord and proposes a huge scam: take an orphaned and aimless young man, illegally brain-wipe him so he believes he's the
Evgeny
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
This is an interesting story which could be developed much better. As it is, the ending feels too abrupt and the whole story rushed. A hotshot pilot turned star hunter (think safari guide on inter-planet scale) holds a grudge against a wealthy family whose representative crippled him as a result of his arrogance. Now he (the pilot) has a very good change to get even: the only heir of that family is lost somewhere in space, but the pilot/hunter found remains of his equipment on one of the planets ...more
Timothy Boyd
Norton always give you a nice SiFi read. quick and easy but interesting. Recommended
Goddess of Chaos
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ride, interesting twists and turns keep coming

This is my first Andre Norton book, and I really liked it. A seemingly straight forward partnership launches the tale, Hume wants a little payback, and Wass wants a reasonable, if illegal, profit. As they set their plan in motion, and the story unfolds, all of the characters are reminded of the many perils of new frontiers.

Vye was an intriguing character, as he wrestles with the situation June and Wass' plot places him in. He comes to learn a l
Frank
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
(LibriVox Recording) The story line involves an antihero who finds that he has someone's memories as well as his own, an egotistical antagonist, and an antagonist turned friend on an alien world with dangerous fauna. There are some exciting chase sequences but the story falls apart near the end. This is not the best of Andre Norton's stories. The recording is good and made a good companion while on a long drive.
I had read this story in the early 1960's so this was my getting re-acquainted with
Stephanie
I listened to the audiobook of this book published in 1961.

This was an enjoyable book. A disgruntled guild spacer discovered the crash sight of a family who owned billions of credits and property. He approaches a criminal mind to make arrangements to present some older teenager as the lost son to obtain some of those billions.

Jim Roberts, who narrated the book, is not an actor. I'm so accustomed to actors narrating books, that it took a couple of chapters to get used to someone who does straigh
Charles JunkChuck
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's Andre Norton, so you know what you're getting: exotic adventure, vintage sci-fi, rockets and ray guns. A short paperback (I think it was originally published serially or as part of a two-book paperback) that took about an hour to read. Norton always feels like the quiet master (Mistress?) of the genre, and nothing here challenges that sentiment. Chose to read it because it was a comp from Amazon and I needed to dig on something from my kindle while windstorms knocked the power out (and me, ...more
JBJ
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of classic Sci-Fi adventures.
This was another fun Andre Norton adventure, but I didn't like it quite as much as some of the others. The ending was a little abrupt and could have been hinted at earlier, almost like she hadn't planned to end it that way when she started; that's probably not true, but that's what it felt like to me. The mystery part was interesting, though, and made me want to keep reading. I'd recommend it to a Norton fan, but it's not on my "must read" list.
Carla
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fraud

A good story with twists and turns that I didn't see coming. Criminals, memory manipulation, hidden agendas, and a young man seeking a better life all come together on a planet containing an alien life that was hidden during the planetary survey.
I fully enjoyed read an Andre Norton book I had missed as a teen reader of her work.
Amanda Evans
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not big on sci-fi. This story wasn't bad but it wasn't anything great either. It left a lot of questions in its midst. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it nor would I dissuade anyone that wants to read it.
Adhoc
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
About 50 pages too long
IMHO
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RECOMMENDED

"Star Hunter" is Classic Science Fiction by Andre Norton
A Master of the Golden Age of Science Fiction. It
is as good today as it was then.
Tony Ciak
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, great narrator.
Colin Rafferty
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid worldbuilding, interesting concepts. Dated, but not badly.
Bram Slaats
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
not a bad story.
I still have some trouble understanding some of the terminology seeing as I haven't read a lot of the other works but otherwise a decent book with some mind boggling twists.
Pat
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Not the best Norton, but still a good story.
Patricia Goines
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

One of Norton best even if it is one of her oldest. I enjoyed reading it. Missed this one years ago
Jeffrey Schmieder
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Very dated and I didn't really care for the characters. The story was interesting, and great planet.
jersey9000
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
The third in the sweetly priced Andre Norton Kindle set I picked up, and I see a pattern here. Much like the first two books, the story is basically about a young guy, finding his way, paired with an older partner/mentor. Together they have to stay alive etc etc etc.

The plot of this one is a bit weird because it starts off really interesting, and ends like halfway through, turning from that point onward into the normal "buddy cop" adventure. This isn't a spoiler, but basically one guy betrays/se
Perry Whitford
Yet another space adventure novella by Andre (Alice) Norton, originally published as part of a twofer as part of the sci-fi goldmine that was the Ace Double series.

A hunter who runs safaris on wild planets concocts a plan to inherit a fortune by planting a phony heir at the site of where the real one crash landed.

The imposter has to be implanted with some false memories through the process of "brain-channeling", but unfortunately he still vaguely remembers who he is. More unfortunate still, the
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Nahuatl's larger moon pursued the smaller, greenish globe of its companion across a cloudless sky in which the stars made a speckled pattern like the scales of a huge serpent coiled around a black bowl. Ras Hume paused at the border of scented spike-flowers on the top terrace of the Pleasure House to wonder why he thought of serpents. He understood. Mankind's age-old hatred, brought from his native planet to the distant stars, was evil symbolized by a coil in a twisted, belly-path across the gro

Bigal-sa
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The least enjoyable of the three that I've read from the collection Visions of Distant Shores: An Andre Norton Collection. You don't get to know what was in that valley - maybe a ploy for another book in the series? ...more
Clayton Yuen
Mar 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Historical SciFi is okay, but has a mundane single theme storyline. The cool scifi concept started good but didn't go anywhere. I remember reading Andre Norton when I was a kid and really enjoyed the novels, but then again, I thought Andre Norton was a guy! Ms Alice Andre Norton's novels still in my heart. . . .
Sharon
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great space pilot gets hurt. Becomes out hunter. Lands on planet and finds wreck. He and another get into plot to trap criminal. Strange trap on planet changes plans.
They wrap up case and have happy ending.
Baron Greystone
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Fun book. Didn't remember it at all from having read it in my teen years. Looks like a sequel may have been intended, but I can't be bothered to look it up and see. In any case, fun little old-time SF read. Obvious basis of the "Safari Ship" adventure from Traveller.
Nona King
Dec 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andre Norton is one of my favorite authors. They way she can spin a tale, be it complex or simple, makes any adventure an enjoyable read. The characters are not 2-dimensional.
Jen3n
Jul 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Swashbuckling sci-fi adventure, indeed. Fun and vaguely cross-genre. Not terribly challenging but awfully well-written.
glitrbug
Feb 16, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Kindle
A.N.
Mar 14, 2014 rated it liked it
55/100. Another rather senseless fiction; beasts hunting beasts hunting beasts...
Libromaniac
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
The prince and the pauper meets outer space mind control.

• The People Of The Crater
  • Deathworld 1 (Deathworld, #1)
  • Walking to Aldebaran
  • The Pirates of Ersatz
  • Triplanetary (Lensman, #1)
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still & Other Classic SF Novellas
  • The Creature from Cleveland Depths
  • All Day September
  • The Adventurer
  • The Blue Tower
  • The Bone is Pointed (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, #6)
  • The Calm Man
  • The Coming of the Ice
  • The Dictator
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. She also used the names Andrew North and Allen ...more