Start by marking “Zarsthor's Bane (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #4)” as Want to Read:
Zarsthor's Bane (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #4)

Zarsthor's Bane

(Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle #4)

Brixia, once the lady of a Hall in High Hallack, and her companion, the cat Uta, while scavenging for their living in the deserted Dales, are drawn into Waste where Light and Dark Magic still exist, in search of a power object, Zarsthor's Bane. While fending off an attack by predators, Brixia discovers a place of Green Magic.
Published June 1st 1981 by Ace Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Zarsthor's Bane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zarsthor's Bane

Start your review of Zarsthor's Bane (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #4)
MrsJoseph *grouchy*

*Spoilers Below*

Bane: [beyn] noun
1. death; destruction; ruin.
2. Obsolete. that which causes death or destroys life

I love this book. It's weird and dreamy and at some points really hard to understand (and follow). I've read Zarsthor's Bane many, many times now. I can honestly say that I feel that I find something new during each re-read. I'm also extremely lucky that I located a First Edition Illustrated copy. Zarsthor's Bane reminds me of a fever dream or
Jennifer Heise
Not a bad book, and certainly classic Andre Norton. No romance, really, in it; Brixia, refugee from the Dale-Alizon wars, is caught up in the fate of a boy and his mind-clouded lord and the lord's search for a hereditary treasure, Zarsthor's Bane, through the agency of her companion hunting cat.
Marred by wierd illustrations, especially by the illustrator's desire to depict the heroine in a skin bikini when the text makes it clear she is wearing shirt and trews.
Valerie
This is the edition I have, though I have had other editions. This edition is illustrated by Evan TenBroek Steadman.

The story of Zarsthor's Bane is out of the main sequences. Brixia, the hero (the former lord Marbon is pretty much a zombie for much of the story due to a head injury. His self-appointed squire Dwed is a somewhat hapless guide and guard, who can only evoke Marbon's deceased foster-brother Jartar in hopes that bringing Marbon home will restore his sanity) has totally lost track of
Terence
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Norton fans
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Last Christmas (2012), I purchased seven of the first eight Witch World novels (at my local, still-in-business-as-of-August-2013 used book store) and have endeavored to read them in the subsequent months. I finished the final four in the last month and have been offering brief reviews anent what I enjoyed about them (with the mild criticism lodged here and there). Zarsthor’s Bane was the last book in the pile and – for my money – the weakest, which is why I only gave it two stars. In comparison ...more
Jenelle
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
I read a short story about the Witch World. That led to me deciding to read the series again, picking up books I didn't read the first time through. I had this book laying randomly in my kitchen. I never read it, and I'm not sure I even realized it was a Witch World book? At any rate, this was the 12th book I've read recently that is set in this universe.
It's hands down my favorite. I liked the weird illustrations. Just the fact that the book was illustrated amused me. I love the cat. I like
jonathan rose
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
lotof wise words inbook showing that arvuements and war caused from them are silly and inconsequential, in the

Long run, but at same time it shows our dependence on others and we need others to realise our hopes and dreams ! lots of messages are given us we just need to sort out society and take the messages on board.

Pilar Seacord
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this story but wished it was a little longer. Brixia was pretty much just surviving with a cat that seemed to have adopted her. She runs into a boy and his master who seems to not be all there and ends up on an adventure. Ms. Norton is a great storyteller and world builder.
Gillian Wiseman
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Classic Andre Norton. I read and reread this as a teen, and it is still thoroughly enjoyable now.
Magill
Had I forgotten what an oddity this book was? Especially with the "illustrations" and another perplexing cover. But at least the woman on this cover is mainly clothed

The story could have taken place anywhere at any time really, although perhaps it never would have happened at all if Brixia had simply gone to Norsdale Abbey instead of wandering alone for several years. But under geas, she finds a magic flower, detours into the waste to be trapped by a dancing bird woman (well-described but not
Terrible Book Club
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Episode 46 - Zarsthor's Bane by Andre Norton, we partook in some mystical bright bud and wandered into the trippy wastelands with Brixia and Uta, the adventuring companions at the center of this fantasy novel plucked from a random cart of old sci fi/fantasy books for $1.00 at Amoeba Records. Can wrongly interpreted illustrations, sudden slut shaming, and hand-wavey plot points mar our journey with Brixia?
...
...
Not really! It was good! This book wasn't terrible! We want to read the other books
Birgitta Hoffmann
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
To Andre Norton Fans some of her stories shine because of the development of complex characters or issues. Well this one must have been the Friday afternoon piece. The story plots along, but you never really engage with it, the characters stay flat and you never really understand why the do the things they do. So, if you are a fan, read it, if only to get a scale, how good she can be, if she wants to be, and how flat, if her mind is not really on the job. If you have never read Andre Norton - ...more
Jon
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As with some of the other weaker Witch World novels, this was driven by a character having mysterious inner promptings that basically push them into the plot, through the plot, and then hand out the secret to the final confrontation. It's hard to get terribly excited about that. Still, the callouts to the other novels make me loathe to excise the weak works.
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
When the Nazi occupy the Netherlands, old Jonkheer Norrey calls his grandson to his death bed. He entrusts a necklace called the Flower of Orange to the young in an effort to save the necklace and the family fortune.
Amber
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: brain-candy, fantasy
So...this is not the bestest Norton I've ever read (and the illustrations seem to have been done by someone who didn't actually read the story) but I enjoyed it. The thing is, I couldn't precisely tell you WHY.
S.A. Parham
Aug 13, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A fantasy tale set in her Witch World era. This tale was a bit confused and jumbled, and made me realize that Norton has a facination with flowers and plants as symbols in her novels. Passing this one on to my son.
Loraxe
Jun 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like many of these Andre Norton books, I find myself wondering if there is a backstory somewhere that I missed. Still a good yarn, with minimal characters, which is nice when you are trying to find your way in a new world.
J.A. McLachlan
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Andre Norton is an excellent storyteller, I grew up on her. But reading her now, I find her style old-fashioned and a real barrier to getting into the story. Her characters are timelessly intriguing, though.
Doris
Apr 16, 2009 rated it liked it
This is another story of High Hallack and is a tale of 2 people who confront light and dark, temptation and redemption. It was a little hard to follow, and the characters seemed to be a little shallow and self centered, and the final confrontation was not to my liking.
John
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
1979 grade C

Series book W7
Valerie
There was no real need to make this a Witch World book, but when you've got a world already mapped out...

Temporally, this is probably set toward the end of the Dales war.
Aislinn
Judi
Feb 14, 2013
Lumi
Nov 24, 2017

• Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Morska Twierdza (Witch World: The Turning)
  • Wygnanka (Witch World Series 3: The Turning, #2)
  • Watchmen #2: Absent Friends
  • Watchmen #4: Watchmaker
  • Watchmen #3: The Judge Of All The Earth
  • The Infinite Pieces of Us
  • Pakt Sokolników (Witch World Series 3: The Turning, #2)
  • The Branch
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Love Is a Mix Tape
  • Hunting Badger (Leaphorn  & Chee, #14)
  • Santa's Husband
  • I Am Peace: A Book of Mindfulness
  • The Bird King
  • I Want My Hat Back
  • The Future of Feeling: Building Empathy in a Tech-Obsessed World
  • A Fun Shiny Day (Care Bears Friendship Club)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. She also used the names Andrew North and Allen ...more

Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Horn Crown (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #0)
  • Year of the Unicorn (Witch World Series 2, High Hallack Cycle, #1)
  • Spell of the Witch World (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #2)
  • The Jargoon Pard (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #3)
  • The Crystal Gryphon (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #5)
  • Gryphon in Glory (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #6)
  • Gryphon's Eyrie (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #7)
  • Were-Wrath
  • Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #9)
  • Silver May Tarnish (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #10)