Start by marking “Voodoo Planet” as Want to Read:
Voodoo Planet

Voodoo Planet (Solar Queen #3)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  658 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Voodoo Planet features Dane Thorson, a young man fortunate enough to land a job on the Free Trader ship, the "Solar Queen." Plying their trade among the stars, Free Traders visit planets--known and unknown--in search of profit. (Another novel featuring Dane Thorson, Plague Ship, is also available from Wildside Press.) In Voodoo Planet, the Captain Gaelic and the ship's med ...more
Hardcover
Published April 1st 2007 by Wildside Press (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Voodoo Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voodoo Planet

Наталья
3.5

К сожалению, в этой истории не было ни космических приключений, ни необычной торговли. Только далекая планета, необычные животные, местные колдуны и экипаж "Королевы Солнца", пытающийся выжить в борьбе с упомянутыми животными и колдунами.

Было интересно, но хорошо, что новелла. Прочиталась быстро.
Evgeny
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This is a strange mix of science fiction and fantasy. A crew of a trader spaceship ended up on a planet where voodoo magic works and bad people are using it for their nefarious purposes. The ship's doctor happened to be fairly proficient in voodoo as well (while being a good guy). He might be able to save his crew as well as their host on the planet from bad guys who are really ingenuous in their attempts to remove people who happen to be in their path.

This book made me realize I am not a big f
Timothy Boyd
Good classic SiFi story my one of the masters of the Genre. Recommended
Mick
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the best in the series. Diction is great but the story, well it is just so 1950s. :) Okay while the first two in the series showed their age, they were still great stories that involved interesting characters. No so much here. It is extremely short, which to me seemed to hinder Norton's ability to further develop the characters. It was over even before it started.

The idea behind this is "let me write a sci-fi book with dueling sorcerers". Sounds a bit on the cheesy side right? Well it is. An
Randall Hunt
Short novella. Reads like an excerpt. Did not enjoy.
LadyCroft86
A very nice jaunt through a jungle complete with alien animals. This was a very short read and there are only a couple of the characters in the story, but it was still good anyway. 3 out of 5 stars
Michael W.
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun little read with some interesting twists.
Bram Slaats
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
story was okay
Perry Whitford
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
The crew of the spaceship Solar Destiny, Free Traders under Captain Jellico, are approached by a ranger from a neighboring planet for aid. His people have become enthralled by a mighty magician named Lumbrilo.

The crew's physician, Medic Tau, is thought to be a magician too, though it would be more accurate to say that he understands the tricks that can look like magic to the uninitiated. The crew agree to help.

This planet, Khatka, was settled by escaped African prisoners a few hundred years ago
Marts  (Thinker)
Sep 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A sequal to Norton's 'Plague Ship'. It is a good idea to read this first to get familier with the characters.

Here we meet the space trader 'Solar Queen' and her crew once again, with the likes of Dane, Tau, Jellico and others. Now in 'Plague Ship', after a visit and trade with Sargol the ship is overcome by some strange plague, but, at the end the reader realised that this of course just wasn't so.

Well, the crew gets banned from trade and starts a two-year stint as a mail carrier, they end up
Andrew
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
freely available as a ebook from manybooks ,project Gutenberg and the like this is a short fairly enjoyable space opera tale in the vein of star trek,lost in space and the like.
it many ways it's merely a tale of poachers and witch doctor ritual set in space but as a bit of late night reading after a heavy day it has its place.
the pace is fast and engaging enough to provide a fast read and it was a reintroduction into my life of the kind of pulp sci fi fiction I used to consume as a youngster and
Becky
I love life on the Solar Queen, and I was happy to revisit them. I like that Dane, while the main character, isn't necessarily the hero or the captain. He is just some cabin boy that is taken along on the crews' adventures. Its refreshing.

I love in vintage scifi how science and magic mix all willy-nilly, especially in Norton's works. Norton seems to really enjoy experimenting with future humans reactions to different native environments, folkloric traditions, and really "primitive" things.

The au
Lissa Notreallywolf
Audio books are always hard to judge. and Andre Norton is a master at the suggestive narrative. Half the time I think she's described something and then I find that she's simply made my imagination step into the spaces, an invitation only. I have started a retrospective reading to find out just how she accomplishes this feat. Voodoo Planet might be harshly critiqued for racism. but it's intent was far from anything racist. I enjoyed reading this vintage bit of SciFi.
Libbet
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, audiobooks
Librivox version: http://librivox.org/voodoo-planet-by-...
Ok. Definitely showing its age a bit. I find it interesting that in both of her books I've listened to so far, there have been literally no women characters, right down to the cat. My first introduction to her was via the Elvenbane etc collaborations with Misty Lackey, and I'm wondering if the female characters were mostly due to Misty, or if I just need to select other Norton books.
Slinkyboy
"Dane guessed that Lumbrilo sent now against the Terran the harvest of the medic's own memories. He shut his eyes against this enforced intrusion upon another's past, but not before he saw Tau's face, strained, fined to the well-shaped bones beneath the thin flesh, holding still a twisted smile as he met each memory, accepted the pain it held for him, and set it aside unshaken."
Jurgen Graanoogst
Though i have read many fictional books, i never had the change to read the short stories of this collection. But i'm glad i did. Voodoo Planet was definitely entertaining. The wealthy offworlders with their planetary ways and the human behaviors that mingle to survive. Exiting and funny at the same time. IT left the reading wanting more. Pitty it was so short.
B. Zedan
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Folks who like the voodoo, crazy future style
More of the traders on the Solar Queen. There is a voodoo magic showdown at the end of this one, yay! I guess originally published with Star Hunter, because that's how people get novellas published.
Glen
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It as a stand alone book, is just okay. When you add it in to the Solar Queen adventures, it gets a little better. It does read quickly, but it will not be an earth shaking experience since it doesn't develop the story due to length.
Shawn Camp
A blending of fantasy and science fiction that just left me feeling like I was watching an old episode of Star Trek where they all transported to a fantasy world where everything gets strange from there.
Luvs2read
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Fun continuation of the Dane Thorson/Solar Queen series. Dane, the ship's medic, and captain visit a planet colonized by Earth Africans. They're taken on "safari" and get caught up in planet politics. Good action/adventure.
Helen Bassett
nice follow up to Plague Ship. Dane is coming along with learning his position and the Dr is very talented.
Lindsay
Nov 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2011
Light sci-fi with some interesting ideas.
Keith
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An alien adventure in an "African" type environment. A good 1960's novel. I don't see the one I read.
Lee
Feb 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, fantasy
This was a pointless story, and there was no point in finishing. What can you expect from a book about the "hypnotic witchcraft of the mental wizard that ruled the "Voodoo Planet."
Garry
10/10/2015
Libromaniac
Thorson saves the day again.
Craig Brown
I listened to this as an audio book. I enjoyed it and it killed 3 hours but that was about it. Sometimes the answer was a little obvious. The whole witch doctor thing did very little for me.
Bryan Cebulski
Awesome conceptually, but mostly boring.
John
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1981 grade B+
2011 grade B+

Short Novel (In Star Hunter book)

Mike
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed-series
Quick, more fantasy than science-y for the usually firm-science Solar Queen adventure.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #19 "Voodoo Planet" by Andre Norton 1 4 Feb 24, 2013 09:34AM
  • Badge of Infamy
  • Invaders from the Infinite
  • The Colors of Space
  • Four Day Planet
  • The Night of the Long Knives
  • Dinosaur Planet Survivors (Dinosaur Planet, #2)
  • Illegal Aliens
  • Spacehounds of IPC
  • The Rebirth (Cyteen, #2)
  • Triplet
  • Eternity's End (Star Rigger, #5)
  • Лабиринт отражений. Фальшивые зеркала. Прозрачные витражи (Лабиринт отражений #1-3)
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • Steel Walls and Dirt Drops
  • Deathworld 1 (Deathworld, #1)
  • Selected from Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Solar Queen (7 books)
  • Sargasso of Space (Solar Queen, #1)
  • Plague Ship (Solar Queen, #2)
  • Postmarked the Stars (Solar Queen, #4)
  • Redline The Stars (Solar Queen, #5)
  • Derelict for Trade (Solar Queen, #6)
  • A Mind for Trade (Solar Queen, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)