Start by marking “On My Knees” as Want to Read:
On My Knees

On My Knees

2.91  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Surviving on alcohol and antidepressants, Mark staggers through his unhappy marriage and watches his London architectural business head for the rocks. When another nasty argument with his wife sends him to the gym to blow off steam, a tall, dark stranger enflames a part of him he’s denied all these years, trying to convince himself he’s not “weird.” But Mark’s not weird, h ...more
ebook
Published June 7th 2011 by Etopia Press (first published June 2011)

To ask other readers questions about On My Knees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On My Knees

Portia
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark has earned his mid-life crisis. On My Knees begins with Mark and his wife in a heated argument with her pulling a knife on him. It's no wonder that the poor guy is a card carrying alcoholic. Rather than remain in his house while his wife is on a rampage, Mark decides to go work out at his health club. There he meets Attila, a beautiful gay man who reminds Mark of desires he has spent his whole life trying to keep in the closet.

I didn't think that I was going to enjoy this book. All I could
Emma Shortt
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found myself really enjoying this, despite the fact I'm not a huge fan of m/m. It was weird for me because m/m has rules a little different from a traditional romance and I had to remind myself of that.

The realism is what bagged this book five stars, because it was real, the characters, the drama--I could see it all happening--even when I didn't want to!

Well worth a read.
Arzu
I didn't like this one at all. It felt rushed with no connection, no sparks between the MCs. I really don't know what to say about it. Within 48 hours Mark meets a guy at the gym, falls in love with him, leaves his wife of 10 years, goeas to a gay sauna bad and moves in with the other guy ... so unrealistic!!
Sorry but never again!!
Chris
Jun 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gay, done, short, fiction, 2011, ebook
1.5 stars. So-so short m/m romance about a guy who, after a row with his wife, realizes he's gay while talking with a guy he met at the gym. While I really liked the first-person narrator's voice, the story was all over the place. Insta-love was the final straw.
Alex Carreras
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super sexy read. Tristram can write sex very well. He got a rise out of me.
Daanquai
Jul 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm amazed at how many high ratings this book got here on GoodReads. It just goes to show "different strokes for different folks" and all that.

I didn't like this book at all. First it started out kinda weird, Mark coming home drunk after hanging out with some friends and his wife comes at him with a knife, she's so mad. So he decides to go the gym to give her time to cool off. See, that right there almost made me put the book down (how do you just shrug something like that off like it's no big d
Susan Roebuck
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tristram La Roche has taken the well-known theme of man finally finding his true-self and has woven a believable tale around it with enjoyable and professionally written story-telling. There's not a superfluous word anywhere.

This is a sweet but hot “coming out” novella that manages to convey both anguish and delight in a fairly short work. His characters are so touching and realistic that they left me wondering with concern what their futures held. I have a feeling we might see more of at least
Catherine Cavendish
I'll be honest, having never read a book in this genre before, I wasn't at all sure what to expect and hesitated a little before buying it. I certainly knew there would be m/m sex and it was likely to be pretty steamy (only partially unintentional pun there - you'll understand when you read the book). I wasn't prepared for a sensitive story about a man's discovery of his true sexuality.

It all rang true as some years ago, I had a very good (male) friend who had gone through some similar awakenin
Tristram Roche
Jun 10, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I don't really think it would be right for me to rate my own book - I'll leave that to the readers. I just want to point out that On My Knees is a novella, a bit under 25,000 words, so it is necessarily fast-paced. If you like longer books that dwell on great detail you probably won't like it. It is also contemporary, about real people; if you prefer to read about gay angels and vampires it probably won't be your cup of tea. I hope you enjoy it, if not, I'm sorry, but I appreciate your support a ...more
ManOhMan
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Reviewed by Max: Just like the blurb states, this story is about discovery and a man's journey to find his true self that he has hidden for years.

This novella did it for me. I liked the author's style of writing, and the ease in which he used words to pull everything together. The story was realistic and I could easily imagine this scenario playing out in many men's lives, and I'm sure it has. I consider this to be a top read, and Mr. La Roche will be on my list for writers to explore in the fut
Feliz
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, m-m
ummm...okay, I think?
Some funny lines and sexy scenes, and the inside - view of the gay bathhouse... my inner peeper just rolled over to be petted.
But just when the story had begun, the book ended.
Also, I found Mark rather wimpy.
Simsala
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An open relationship gone bad. - In a good way!
Well written and realistic - sometimes too realistic.I could see and smell things I didn`t want to...
First published work? I`m impressed...
Sandy Malone
I did not like this book at all it felt rushed. And honestly it was hard to keep reading it...i have never been so bored with a book in my life!
James Cox
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great, hot book that hit close to home for me. I'm loving La Roche's stuff.
Lady*M

It was really difficult for me to rate this story. On one hand, I liked the narrator and his voice very, very much. On the other, the insta-love scenario and supporting characters were major letdowns.

Mark is a man with a lot on his plate. And I mean, A LOT. He is pushing forty, struggling with depression and alcoholism. He acknowledges that he's gay for the first time and initiates a divorce. His business is failing and he begins a new relationship. The author did a great job to descri
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
Enter Contest here: http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/1/post/2...

This was my first M/M and I admit proudly Mr. La Roche has converted me!

His first person point of view was vivid, exciting and completely captivating. From the moment Mark came home from drinks with his mates after work and was accosted by his knife wielding wife my mind was blown.

There was truly no telling where this story was going to take me. It’s clear our hero is unhappy, he’s spent a lifetime living to please others, and ended u
Renzo
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, whoever did the cover for this novella needs to win a prize. Browsing through the offerings on Amazon/Smashwords/All Romance e-books (I don't venture further afield!)this one leaps out and grabs your attention. What a refreshing change from the usual- and what a pair of guys! OK,the book itself. Well, it certainly is no disappointment. They say don't judge a book by its cover but in this case you can. It's an up and down coming out story with a plot (how unusual) and just the right ...more
Julia
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a departure from my usual reading matter - not so much because it is MM romance - but more because this is set in a very real world, whereas I tend to read darker themed stories... perhaps more fantasy than reality. However, it was the realism that drew me in to the story. I'm not the most romantic person on the planet, but I enjoyed following Mark on his bumpy journey. I wondered if perhaps his acceptance of his sexuality was a bit quick- but love tends to strike fast, and when it stri ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
There were parts of this book that were so real and believable, gritty and even painful.
That's a good thing!
But I had a lot of trouble with Attila running hot and cold like that!
He says he loves Mark, why? I mean, I liked Mark, once he was honest with himself, but Attila loves him after a few hours together, but I don't get the feeling he even likes him! I guess, if I had been able to see into Attila's head, I might have understood better. As it was, I really didn't like him!
The whole trip to
Calila
Really did not like this one. Attila was such an indecisive jerk. Mark was irritatingly whiny. The only character that I actually liked was Justin and he only had 1 scene and a later mention. I was hoping that Mark would realize that Attila was a jerk and reconnect with Justin but it never happened.
Ate
Jun 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
話としての設定は面白いし、展開もリアルな感じで良かったです。
評価としては、話のアプローチと設定の良さは☆4、たけどキャラへの私の共感度は☆1

どうも私には、キャラの気持ちの変化について説得力ある描写が足りないと感じる、つまり、キャラの行動に共感できずに反感を持ってしまう。

コメディ系やスリル系な展開の話ならそういう点は気にならないのですが、この話では展開がリアルで主人公も恋人も欠点がある生身の人間として描かれているだけに、特に、最後に主人公の恋人がとる唐突な行動は、あまりにも不可解で理想的すぎて白けてしまいました。

でも、これは単に、二人の性格が身勝手で思慮が浅くて、行動が衝動的だから好きになれない(共感できない)という私の好みの問題かもしれません。どちらのキャラの行動にもイライラしてしまいましたから。ああ、なまじ話の内容が良かっただけに、不満感が強く残る作品です。
Karin Wollina
That was a little bit to insta-love for me. And I found not very believable that Mark informed everyone he knows of his being gay after meeting a man for the first time.
And even for a M/M romance: the Description of his wife as murderous bitch was .too much over the top for me.
Td
Jun 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing about this book made sense to me from the story to the characters,their behavior and reactions. I simply didn't get it and after a while I didn't even want to. From the ratings it seems like a love it or hate it type of book...this one wasn't for me.
Rachel Emily
I felt like the beginning was rushed and didn't think the characters worked well together at all. I struggled with reading this and I don't know, I just couldn't connect with the story. It seems plenty of other people did since there is such a wide range of reviews.
Martin
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
A simple story, simply told.

A label-loving, alcohol-fuelled man falls in love.

It'll make a few stops on the train pass more quickly.
Anke
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was fun! Thanks Simsala :)
thelastaerie
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Repressed married gay man coming out in a bang. This charming short story is quick pace, a little bit disoriented (like its protagonist), slightly confusing but a sweet fun read.
Razzbate
Jun 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WTF????
Simon
Jan 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This really is a short story and not terribly good at that. Wouldn't have wasted my money if I'd have read all the reviews on Amazon and not just the first three.
Anna
rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Tristram La Roche was born in London and spent much of his childhood in Europe. His career has included tourism and yacht charter, as well as a brief period working as a freelance journalist. His interests include travel, art, music, opera, cinema, books and current affairs, and he is passionate about the rights of the GLBT community. La Roche's work pushes the boundaries of traditional romance, a ...more
More about Tristram La Roche...