Start by marking “It's Always Been You (York Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
It's Always Been You (York Family, #2)

It's Always Been You

(York Family #2)

Once She Slipped Through His Fingers. . .

Aidan York has spent ten years mourning the woman he once loved and lost. He's filled the void in the only way he knows-by distracting himself with wild behavior and scandalous trysts. It's a hollow existence, but it dulls the pain. Until the day he encounters a ghost: the woman he thought drowned at sea, alive and as enchanting as
Published August 1st 2011 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2011)

Catherine
It’s Always Been You felt quite different than most, if not all, of Victoria Dahl’s other works. It has such an air of sadness to it. It wasn’t exactly agnsty, but there was a lingering sense of melancholy as I read. Perhaps it was just me, unable to see a way for them to forgive each other and forgive themselves, but I really don’t think so. I don’t expect all of her book books to have hilarious scenes, but there’s usually a sense of fun somewhere, even in relationships with issues. I really mi ...more
Audrey
Dec 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
3+ stars. A good read with a hefty dose of angst.

I didn't really understand the heroine and her motives (both present day and 10 years ago), so she really annoyed me for about the first half to two-thirds of the book, which is how long it took to get the FULL story of her background in all its gory details. After that, she became a much more sympathetic character. While I recognize this is what Dahl did to build the overall plot and suspense, I thought it would have been much more effective fro
Karen
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lover of Romance
This is the first that I have read from this author. I have heard some amazing things about her books. I wasn't sure if I wanted to try out her contemporaries, but when I read the synopsis of Its Always Been You, I was intrigued. I knew I had to try this author out, and as a plus the cover is so pretty, and is what drew me to the book in the first place. I was thrilled to find that I truly enjoyed Dahl's style. It was fun to see how this certain conflict plays out.

Aidan still feels the loss of
Joan Swan
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Victoria Dahl’s IT’S ALWAYS BEEN YOU, her historical romance August release, is one of those books with instant intrigue. Victoria crafts a suspenseful read with characters I rooted for and story questions that made me turn the pages in search for their answers.

I’m a fan of tortured heroes and crafty, independent heroines, and IT’S ALWAYS BEEN YOU has both. The hero, Aiden, believes the love of his life, Kate, the heroine, is dead. Has been dead for a decade. When this novel begins, he is haunte
Cecilia
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elibrary-books
There's a lot going on in this book. Suspense about what really happened to the heroine's dead husband, when secrets will come to light, tortured love-hate stuff between reunited lovers. Generally, I enjoy those things. This book was nevertheless kind of a dull read. I didn't ever find myself all that interested in the characters. Some of the foreshadowing (along the lines of "he didn't know what she'd think if she ever found out... no she can't find out, she'll never know!") left a bruise it hi ...more
Katie(babs)
Aidan York has loved deeply. Ten years ago he found the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. Katie Tremont owned his heart and soul, but because he felt he didn’t have enough to offer her, he let her go. After a horrible fight between the two, where he broke her heart, she left and boarded a ship to Ceylon. Aidan planned on chasing Katie and bringing her back, but he was told by the people he trusted that her ship was wrecked at sea and she died. Aidan is haunted daily by Katie’s ...more
Bookaholics
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
It’s Always Been You by Victoria Dahl
Historical Romance –Aug. 2nd, 2011
3 stars

This is a realistic historical about love lost and second chances.

Aidan is haunted by his past. Although he is now wealthy and successful he mourns the lost of his first love and he is ashamed of his wild behavior after her death. But while on the streets England he spies a woman that looks eerily familiar and follows her. Only to discover to his shock it is his lost love Katie! However, she is married. But Aidan isn’
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scorching-hot
I'm a recent fan of Victoria Dahl's contemporary work, having just read the entire Donovan Brothers Brewery Series. I was anxious to read some of her historical and was pleased to walk right into my local library and have her latest title available for me!!
Kate and Aidan met when they were young teenagers, growing up in London. Kate's family was quite influential in the ton and Aidan's father was a Baron. What started out as a close friendship quickly turned into something much more scandalous.
A
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by Valerie
Review copy provided by publisher

Oh, the lost love of youth! This book had me hooked from the very beginning...I wondered to myself...was it because it started with Aidan’s glimpse of a woman that reminded him of someone he lost or was it because both Aidan and Kate were fated to be together? Regardless, this is one I devoured in a few hours.

Aidan and Kate were young lovers but when she told her father she wanted to marry him, and could marry no one else since she was ruined,
Minna
Dec 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Frankly, I read this because of the fairly good review on Likesbooks.com. And this is (I guess) one of those rare instances when I beg to differ from the reviewer. For a very good, very detailed review of this book that articulates EVERYTHING (literally, everything, it's spooky) I felt about this book, check out Karen's review from August 2011.
In a nutshell: this, in my opinion, was a joyless book that was difficult to pull through. The hero - set up to be tortured and angsty. I get that. Howeve
Feminista
Rating: 2 out of 5.

Another historical romance I am disappointed with.

I am disappointed that the hero in this book professes to love the heroine he thinks is dead, but within a month after he thinks she is dead, he sleeps with another woman. He doesn't just stop there, he proceeds to sleep with a disgusting amount of women.

Even near the end, when he finds out that the heroine might be leaving to Ceylon, he thinks to himself that he will get drunk and find some barmaid to bed...

Let me be quite cl
Tytti
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
For some reason I love the cover of this book, it's so colourful, sweet and romantic... (yes, I know it's pretty much the same with every other historical romance cover, where there's a couple nearly hump- *cough...cough*.... embracing each other).

So, the story goes: Aidan and Kate fell in love ten years ago and he asked her father her hand in marriage. Her father refused because Aidan's lack of wealth and decided to sent her away, all the way to Ceylon and told Aidan she was dead. Crushed, hear
Robin
Nothing really stands out about this book that makes it excessively good or exceedingly bad. You of course want the Heroine (Kate, Katie, Katherine) to trust the Hero (Aidan) from the beginning but of course they both feel betrayed and lied to by the other one. And of course when they learn the truth they realized that they were not betrayed by each other but by others such as Katie's family. The guy that can be considered the villain is also a victim but his behavior tends to prevent you from f ...more
Manda
Aiden York and Kate Hamilton. Regency era. She owns a coffee shop and pretends her husband isn't dead on some island that's not India. He is mean to his secretary, Penrose, who's kinda awesome and has a side romance with Lucy Cain. Very cute B romance. Book is the sequel to "When She Was Wicked," which was smart with witty dialogue. This book was angsty -- the characters don't speak words to each other. They kept thinking the other hates them for NO REASON. He offers to marry her and she's like, ...more
Julieop
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a good tortured hero story, and Aidan is definitely troubled. But it was Kate who really captured me. She's strong yet has plenty of self doubts. It was her struggle for independence that fascinated me. The story is a great reminder about how far women have come. She is suspected of improper behavior simply because she lives without her "husband." I was cheering for Kate to find love with a worthy man throughout the story. Luckily Aidan is there with a love for her so deep that you can fe ...more
Michelle
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read by Victoria Dahl. It was a heartwarming, gut wrenching, and sexy read. Aidan was such a wonderfully well written, tortured character. He had his heart broken but used all the wrong ways to try and bring back some spark back to his life. Katie had been betrayed by her family and the man she loved becoming a shell of who she used to be. When they meet again there is so much left unsaid that they have a hard time opening up and coming together. The journey they took to fall in love w ...more
Carrie Olguin
Feb 21, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF.

Couldn't stand the heroine when she ran away from the hero in a panic at the very beginning instead of confronting him. I hate heroine's who are cowards.

And I know this is a romance novel, but I find it hard to believe the hero was still grieving for the heroine, whom he thought was dead, for ten years. That he still looks for her even though he knows she is dead? Two years of less, yes I could see that. But ten years? Really.

There are just too many books out there to read to waste time with
Jackie
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 I'm a big fan of Dahl's novels, but this one just missed being buy-worthy for me. Perhaps because it focuses so tightly on the h/h, perhaps because it depends on our having read the first book in the series to see rather than just be told about Aidan's self-destructive ways of dealing with his grief, or perhaps just because the conflict is more plot/melodrama driven than character-driven. But Dahl's talents make this worth reading, even if it is more conventional than her other historicals.
Julia
This book was more about plot and mystery than the characters, hence the three star rating. While I still enjoyed it, I never felt the excited connection of A LITTLE BIT WILD, where the hero and heroine's emotional growth outweighs any external plot events. Katie and Aidan have a secret history, some big misunderstandings, and a whole murder-mystery subplot that gets hinted at all book long. I would have much preferred to focus on the dialog and wit that Dahl writes so well, everything else was ...more
Angela
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most heartbreaking romances I’ve read. Aiden believes that his true love died at sea on her way to marry a plantation owner in India…until he seas her in a small harbor town. Katie thought she had been abandoned by her family and Aiden. She returns to England in secret after the mysterious death of her husband. When Aiden crashes back into her life, Katie is unsure but can’t deny her love for him. God, at one point, she cries that she wasn’t a horse to break to a new rider an ...more
Karen
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love love love Victoria Dahl's writing and her sense of humor so I think I was taken aback a little at just how sad and unsympathetic (at least to me) Aiden and Kate were.
They kept so much inside for so long that I gave up caring what the big mystery was.
To be fair I'm not a huge Historical Romance fan but I had just read A Little Bit Wild and adored it. It's the previous book for this series and was very funny and sexy. So maybe it just wasn't the right book for me.
Wicked Incognito Now
Victoria Dahl's writing is consistent and reliable. Yet, her signature humor is missing from this novel. The characters aren't as lovably bumbling as I've come to expect from Dahl.

The conflict here is not character-driven but circumstance-driven. I'm not a fan of that. Secrets are kept and revealed in the last 10% of the book. I'm not a fan of that sort of thing either.

Lee
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for tortured heroes and Dahl's latest delivers a very good one. It's packed with drama, strong emotion and lots of angst. The story-telling is flawless and smooth and the characters are really well portrayed. If you enjoy sexy historical romances be sure and pick up a copy of It's Always Been You. Definitely recommended.
Barbara
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One ofmy favorites. Loved how Aidan kept Kate in his heart for so long. Kate has grown strong and he has matured enough to be her "her". The working woman is a nice back story and Aidan's family supporting him was a good sound part of the whole story.
Mark Mccarragher
I won this on Goodreads, and have yet to recieve my copy. I have contacted the company on Goodreads, Facebook, Twitter, and their company website emails and have yet to get a response. Looking at former reviews for books from their company it seems that this may be a trend.
TJ
For a complete review, visit Affaire de Coeur magazine, hard copy or online at: http://affairedecoeur.com/ - August, 2011 issue.
Becky
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Been a long time since I read a real bodice ripper. Enjoyed it immensely!
Christie«SHBBblogger»
This book for me was one of my favorites by her. A must-read. I read this in one night it was so good.
CaroB
This was a good read, not great or enthralling, but a nice story about two star-crossed lovers that finally get their HEA.
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 11, 2015 01:22PM

• Flawless (The Christies, #1)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Trial by Desire (Carhart, #2)
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • Mistress by Midnight (Courtesan Court, #2)
  • When a Duke Says I Do (Lords and Ladies, #1)
  • Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1)
  • Notorious (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #4)
  • A Rake's Guide to Seduction (Reece Family Trilogy, #3)
  • Seduced by Grace (The Three Graces, #3)
  • With Seduction in Mind (Girl Bachelors, #4)
  • The Dark Earl
  • Cloudy With A Chance Of Marriage (Impossible Bachelors, #3)
  • A Hint of Wicked (James Family, #1)
  • A Breath of Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #2)
  • The Devil in Disguise (Regency Rogues, #1)
  • Romancing the Countess (Romancing, #1)
  • Just One Season in London
I have my mother to thank for my passion for writing. My mom is an avid reader of popular fiction, and I began reading highly inappropriate books around the age of eleven, I think. (Thanks, Mom, for always leaving those delicious books strewn about!)

To Tempt a Scotsman, a Golden Heart winning historical, was my first published book. Here I am signing the cover! A Rake's Guide to Pleasure (which w

York Family (2 books)
  • A Little Bit Wild (York Family, #1)