Start by marking “The Temple” as Want to Read:
The Temple

The Temple (Vale Avari #1)

Vale Avari has a mysterious past and a laundry list of super-powers, but that's nothing compared to what she finds upon moving from small town U.S.A to jolly-good England.

A chance dart throw lands her in Quicksilver, an off-the-map place with a big problem - people are dying, and word is, it's supernatural.

At her new place of employment, a temple dedicated to the ancient
Published by CyberWitch Press (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Temple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Temple

Kelly/yllektra
Oct 04, 2011 Kelly/yllektra rated it it was amazing
I can really say that Heather Marie Adkins doesn't disappoint.
After reading "Underneath" - and loving it - I was more than eager to read this new novel and I have to say that I loved it and it's a shame I didn't read it sooner.

The story revolves around Vale , a 24-year-old girl from US, who -when the book starts - has agreed to move overseas to England and take on a job that is both weird and potentially dangerous.
Not exactly normal herself, Vale fits right in.
Member of a very loving family, of
Julia Crane
Jun 25, 2011 Julia Crane rated it it was amazing
Heather Marie Adkins has a way with words. Her descriptions brought the pages to life. I really enjoyed the main character Vale everything about her from her super powers to her relationship with her sister. I don't want to give anything away, but the ending was very dramatic and exciting. Looking forward to reading Abigail when it is released.
Sheila Ryals
May 13, 2017 Sheila Ryals rated it it was amazing
😻

This is a keeper. To take out and read when u just need some feel good and emotional book. Yes there are sad parts and mystery and crying. But the love actually feels real. There was a couple of lines that had me hoping for that kind of love for my daughter. Well she had it but her boyfriend died right before he was to propose. So hopefully she gets a second chance at that.
Jessica Bronder
Feb 17, 2012 Jessica Bronder rated it it was amazing
Vale was found by her parents in the woods behind their house one evening and instantly adopted her. When she got older, she discovered that she had many supernatural powers. With the support and love of her family, she has chosen to move to England and work as a guardian at a secret temple to the Mother Goddess. The job is pretty easy, get to work by ten, trade off car keys, keep the incense burning, don’t mess with the temperature, and lock up the temple between midnight and three am so the Wi ...more
Michelle
Oct 20, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This book is so cool! That's the perfect word for it. There are cool powers, and a cool storyline and cool characters. Get the idea? If you can't tell, I liked it. A LOT.

I still don't even know all that Vale can do. New powers seemed to be revealed and developed constantly. I'm not sure if there is going to be another book or not, but I would love to learn more about her powers! It seems like she can do everything. She really is "all purpose", I thought that was hilarious.

Halloween time always
Alisa
Nov 02, 2012 Alisa rated it it was amazing
I read "The Temple" curled up in an easy chair, wearing bathrobe and slippers and was blissfully transported to a misty English village with dark secrets that one cannot find on a map. Curfew is early, because dreadful things happen at night and have been for decades. The main character is a young woman with a host of (really cool) special abilities who, on a leap of faith, leaves her home in rural Mississippi to take a position as a special guard at the Temple in this tiny village where things ...more
1000 +
Nov 05, 2011 1000 + rated it really liked it
I looooooved this book! Vale quickly became one of my favorite characters of all time. Not because of anything flashy or dramatic but because she is this super relatable character with super powers.

I loved the mix of mythology and witch craft that was found in this book. Along with the secretive nature of The Temple itself, which I still don't quite know why it's there or who founded it or what its really used for, that I found simply alluring.

This is a very face paced read. You'll pick it up
P.J. Jones
Oct 17, 2011 P.J. Jones rated it it was amazing
I've never known such paranormals existed and I've read a lot of paranormals. The concept of The Wild Hunt and the mythical temple was unlike anything I've ever read and totally fascinating, especially how it was all connected to ancient mythology. This book has not one, but two climatic scenes revolving around the temple. There were a few spooky moments that had me a little on edge, especially since I scare easily. If you like books with a lot of magic and mystery, and even a little romance, th ...more
Jenna
Dec 05, 2011 Jenna rated it really liked it
~3.5 stars

I liked the characters, the plot and I really liked the detail. The writing was GREAT...good descriptions, nice detail, there was none of the 'he said' and then 'she said' and then 'he said'. The sentences were beautifully done. Vale and Brett were well developed and Vale's family was also interesting.

The only donwside to me was that although there was action, I wasn't on the edge of my seat trying to figure out what would happen next. And the big climax came in the middle-ish of the b
Natasha
Mar 26, 2013 Natasha rated it liked it
Heather Marie Adkins is a born story teller. There’s no debating that with regards to this book. A good balance of description, consistent action and likable characters all carry the story along agreeably. That is, for most of the book. What disappointments me most about reading a story is when it starts off so strongly and I’m loving every bit of it — but then something goes awry. It gets weird. For me, that’s what happened with The Temple.

Check out my blog for the rest of the review: http://be
Marie
Jun 29, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing
The Temple was an engrossing murder mystery with paranormal elements, romance, vivid descriptions and lots of humor that made it even more interesting. (I think I need to re-read it a few more times to catch all the fun phrases that I want to start using, myself. ~grin~) I had trouble putting down this story.
Larry Marshall
Jun 29, 2011 Larry Marshall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I don't read romance novels. It's a guy thing. But I picked up The Temple because of a discussion of the book elsewhere. The author's imagination and ability to write wonderful descriptions combine to produce a story that, while there is romance, there is also adventure, a dose of fantasy and a splash of humor. I really enjoyed it.
Laura Eno
Jun 28, 2011 Laura Eno rated it it was amazing
I had fun reading The Temple. The heroine has a unique voice and Heather's descriptions are vivid, placing the reader squarely in the scene. I've become a fan of hers and look forward to future novels!
Ruby Ridge
Sep 27, 2015 Ruby Ridge rated it really liked it
Normally I dislike PNRs but this was real small on the Romance and had characters you grew to like 3.5 stars rounded up
Patti Ashley
Nov 18, 2015 Patti Ashley rated it did not like it
Rather scattered

Interesting premise but the story was so scattered, jumping from one idea to the next. Cannot say I enjoyed it.
Tricia
Tricia rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Teetah
Teetah rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2012
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2011
Christina
Apr 28, 2017 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-paranormal
Mrs. Adkins is a master at making you feel present in the context of her books. This story was a wonderful mystery with a few twist and turns. I loved learning about Vale and those around her... I look forward to the next installment in Vale's journey! This is a great read!
Kerry
Kerry rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Mayme Hunter
Mayme Hunter rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Rachael
Rachael rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Erika
Erika rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2011
Travis
Travis rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Kristen Westfall
Kristen Westfall rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Nicole Moore
Nicole Moore rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Evora Blake
Evora Blake rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2015
Rachael
Rachael rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Celia Stander
Celia Stander rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Mishap & Mayhem (Mishap, #1)
  • Sidhe's Call (Keening Trilogy, #1)
  • Wasteland (The Kin Trilogy, #1)
  • Eternal Youth
  • Legacy (Bloodline Book, #1)
  • Near Death (Life and Death, #1)
  • Yoke (Bound, #1)
  • Phoenix Rising (Maggie Henning & The Realm #1)
  • Soul Quest (Soul Quest, #1)
  • Dead Spell
  • Deadly Dreams (Death Walker, #1)
  • Sudden Independents (Independents #1)
  • Wayward (The Witch Wars Saga #1)
  • Her Dark Destiny (Hunters of the Dark, #1)
  • Sin and Sacrifice (Daughters of Eve, #1)
  • Sam I Am (October Trilogy, #1)
  • My Sister's Destiny (Destiny, #1)
  • Amaretto Flame

Heather Marie Adkins loves magick and words, but not necessarily in that order. She can often be found wrangling chickens in her backyard, pulling weeds from her herb garden, and saving field mice from her cats—when she isn’t plotting her eventual move to Ireland.

Heather is the author of numerous published titles including The Temple and Abigail. She lives in north-central Kentucky with a house f

More about Heather Marie Adkins...

Vale Avari (2 books)
  • Haunted by Fate (Vale Avari Novels Book 2)