Start by marking “Esau” as Want to Read:
Esau

Esau

In his most dazzling thriller to date, Philip Kerr spins a tale of high adventure in which science, politics, and human frailty combine to take us on a stunning foray into the nature of man.
Clinging to the Southwest face of Annapurna, the climber cuts another handhold. Suddenly everything goes still -- then the mountain roars, shaking loose its killing load, tumbling t
Published May 1st 1997 by Henry Holt & Company (first published January 10th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Esau, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Esau

Start your review of Esau
Michele Witte
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book that delivered magically. It interwove science with adventure and was a great piece of fiction. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about hominoids as well as imagining the abominable snowman, a little differently from the Scooby Doo version. I wish there had been a little more character development, some of the characters were flat and unecessary, but was still a great book.
Bodosika Bodosika
Esau is a book about Yeti and anthropology and though to an extent very educative but in my view it is somewhat boring...I give it 2star.
Eric
Jun 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, thriller
It's been a while since I read anything, fiction or non-fiction, about the yeti, or Abominable Showman, or Bigfoot, or whatever you want to call the mythical ape-like creature. I don't know if such a creature exists - I doubt it - but if it does, it's probably in some secret valley or underground chamber, hidden from humans, safe from detection.

That's Philip Kerr's theory in this pleasant and readable novel.

Renowned mountain climber Jack Furness (an unfortunate name for a protagonist) finds a s
John Bowen
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You just don't get a lot of Yeti fiction, and certainly not of this quality.

Until I get around to writing my Paranormal Romance side project where a Sasquatch and a Mummy battle it out for the affections of a coquettish Chupacabra (Do you know how huge the Paranormal Romance market still is?) you won't do better than this.

This Michael Crichtonesque thriller is a romp. The discovery of a skull by a climber leads to an expedition to seek out 'ol Big Foot himself. Much action ensues.

I prefer Phill
Gerry
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Adventure in the Himalayas, this one gives you the thrill of high peaks, high espionage, high international tension that may or may not result in nuclear war and, if that's not enough, say hi! to Esau and his relations - a colony of yeti, living in a hidden valley that the adventurers stumble across.
Scott Schmidt
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the second book of Kerr's that I've read. While I didn't enjoy this as much as "Dark Matter: The Private Life of Sir Isaac Newton," I still liked this one, but the middle chunk lacked a bit. The ending saved it for me though. Overall, it was a decent Yeti story, had some interesting plot points, but could've maybe been a little tighter.
Jeremy Hornik
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pretty dumb. I kept thinking, really? A yeti? I'm good with fantasy but somehow the intrusion of a yeti into a technothriller was just too goofy for me. Also, I had trouble telling all the secondary characters apart... including the villain, which is a problem.

Bernie Gunther convinced me to pick this up (thrift store style) but that cynical German bastard sold me a bill of goods.
Denise
Nov 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in anthropology
The book was fascinating to me. It was humorous at times, and had me laughing aloud. I don't think that it is a book for everyone. Readers who are interested in anthropology, should enjoy the novel.
Granny (KiP)
Apr 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Painless way to pick up paleoarcheology and mountain climbing facts/trivia. Very interesting and thought provoking hypothesis.
Carl
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good missing link read. Easy adventure read in between non-fiction reads.
Sue
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great action. Full of suspence. I enjoyed the characters.
Ches Torrants
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
As the blurb promises, we have a hunt for the yeti, a crisis between nuclear states and an out-of-control American agent working under cover.
I must confess that I skipped through some of the awkward chunks of exposition. Academics rehearse sequences of previous research and theory. Members of the expedition are introduced one after another, with too many biographical details to memorise. Equipment is listed with technical details, probably authentic but overpowering to read.
The climbing sequence
Chuck
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the detail and science that went into this story. It is obviously well researched and this adds to the suspense and action. A mountaineer, his sherpas, and an adventurous group of scientists set off on a mission to capture a Yeti (abominable snowman). Not everyone on the journey is who or what they say they are!

Lots of adventure, suspense, and excitement. There are quite a few good characters, but I ended up rooting for Rebecca and Esau!
John
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Having read all of the Bernie Gunther books, I felt compelled to look at some of P. Kerr's earlier works.
This is more traditional thriller in the Michael Crichton/Alastair MacLean sort of way.
It seems pretty well grounded in its science (though I'm no expert so can't be sure) and the plot rips along at a fair pace.

An entertaining holiday read rather than anything profound but well written for its genre.
Samuel Blondahl
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read, highly recommend to anyone with an interest in cryptozoology, or just an interest in great thrillers. The yeti comes alive in these pages, as a monster, and a man.
Patrick
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A good read, and an interesting idea. The characters are somewhat one-dimensional and predictable, but that's okay for an escape read like this.
Harold Norman
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid, colorful science fiction, but I like Kerr's straight ahead mysteries better.
This was a bit predictable.
Harry Heitman
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Just OK. A bit predictable. Nice twist toward the end but I got the feeling Kerr was cranking this book out for variety between his mysteries, which I really like.
Rosie
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the setting of this book. It had a good pace and toward the end, moved very fast. A good summer read for sure.
Viv
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
A bit too scientific for a novel, but an interesting plot. I skipped most of the long winded scientific details and just stuck to the story line, so finished this book in no time.
Jennifer Jozwiak
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books.
Amanda Hardin
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've certainly not read many like it. It's a great book but I felt as though the action fell a bit short.
Eileen
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Imaginative adventure story set in the Himalayas about scientists in search of the yeti, aka abominable snowman.
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in March 2003.

A Himalayan climbing accident leads Jack Furness to discover a humanoid skull in a mountain cave - the first uncontestable evidence for the existence of the Yeti. When he returns to the States, he gives it to a friend and occasional lover who also happens to be a researcher into human evolution. This is Swift's big chance for academic fame, so she begins investigating the skull and putting together a grant application for an expedition to the Hi
Heather
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I bought this used book from a store (that I don't remember the name of, but I know they donate to those in need) a very long time ago when I was still in my teens. I bought quite a few books because they were all so cheap and then I proceeded to get home, stick them on my shelf, and I never read any of them. I was too busy reading Harry Potter, Twilight, Cirque Du Freak, etc and I forgot about them.

Fast forward to the year 2014 (I was 22 then). I needed a book to read and plucked this from my s
Edward H. Busse, III
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-owned
NO SPOILERS!! The synopsis not he dust jacket is what captured me - I have a severe fascination with the idea of a yeti or sasquatch living among us so I naturally had to grab this book. It was a good read - no about it. The story itself is pretty straightforward - a climber finds a skull in the Himalaya and brings it back to his colleagues. Of course, they mount an expedition to search out the origin of the skull and the story takes off from there. There's an interesting element to the story re ...more
Robert
Aug 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
While it was a good story about a significant archeological find in the Himalaya's there were some flaws elsewhere in the book. Character development was almost an afterthought, that with the large cast of characters could lead a person to get confused as to who was where at times. And with the expedition to go back to the mountains in an attempt to find something more we get a spy story thrown into the mix that I felt could have been left out. Overall a very good premise in a well written novel ...more
Ian
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ian by: ireide@graduate.uwa.edu.au
Shelves: fiction
Claudia Putnam
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Could have been worse. Hard to complain about a thriller that references Jared Diamond. But the stereotypical treatment of the female scientist (what is it with genre writers and women with long red hair and "emerald green" eyes, oh, and sensual mouths. Brilliant AND sexually available. Awesome!) and the fact that the climber character could not think of a mountain in any other terms other than assaults and conquests... meh, meh, meh. End was a bit anticlimactic. Obvious who the secret bad buy w ...more
Tom
Mar 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people with too much time to kill
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Sword and the Cross: Two Men and an Empire of Sand
  • The Messiah of Stockholm
  • Breakout Nations: In Pursuit of the Next Economic Miracles
  • The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop.
  • The Second Coming
  • Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions and Death's Duel: With the Life of Dr. John Donne by Izaak Walton
  • Uit talloos veel miljoenen
  • Under Occupation (Night Soldiers, #15)
  • Team of Teams: New Rules of Engagement for a Complex World
  • The Battle Of Pollocks Crossing
  • A Month in the Country
  • To the Land of Long Lost Friends (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #20)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #18)
  • Imagine Heaven: Near-Death Experiences, God's Promises & The Exhilarating Future that Awaits You
  • A Dance of Cranes: A Birder Murder Mystery
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • The Monkey's Raincoat (Elvis Cole, #1)
  • The Siberian Dilemma (Arkady Renko #9)
Philip Kerr was a British author. He was best known for his Bernie Gunther series of 13 historical thrillers and a children's series, Children of the Lamp, under the name P.B. Kerr.

News & Interviews