Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes: The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes: The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)

Sherlock Holmes: The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  1,603 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
The nineteenth century is about to draw to a close. In its place will come the twentieth, a century of change, a century of science, a century that will see the superstitions of the past swept away.

There are some who are determined to see that never happens. A body is found crushed to death in the London snow. There are no footprints anywhere near it. It is almost as if th
Published September 20th 2011 by Titan Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes

Lacey Thornton
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction, Sherlock Homes Fans
Recommended to Lacey by: I found one of the books in the series while out shopping. Once I started digging around on Goodreads I found out there was a whole series.
This adventure pulled in. Supernatural (fictional) story's have always interesting me. Following Dr. Watson and Sherlock Holmes face the supernatural forces surrounding them. Reading how Holmes would apply his deductive reasoning to the supernatural events that are presented to him by the other main characters. My only thought was how was this going to get back to Holmes proving everything to be false and how would they get there. The story was well written and I found easy to read even with the ...more
Margaret
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Sherlock Holmes pastiche from author Guy Adams.

When a man is found crushed to death in the snow with no sign of an attacker, Holmes and Watson are quickly on the case. A case which appears to be more supernatural than criminal. Is it a "Hound of the Baskervilles" scenario, or something much harder to explain by rational means?

As in Guy's later book, "The Breath of God" has "borrowed" characters from contemporaries of Arthur Conan Doyle's. Algernon Blackwood's Dr John Silence, William H
gina
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, intrigue
If you are expecting a facsimile of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's prose and approach to Sherlock Holmes--drop your expectations. This isn't that kind of book. More than being a crime fiction book, Sherlock Holmes: The Breath of God is more like a book about the supernatural and paranormal.

That's okay if you don't have any expectations. Holmes plays a relatively minor role in this story and disappears halfway through the book, only to reemerge at the end. His departure is reminiscent of his disappeara
Cate
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of the Sherlock Holmes canon, so I was a little skeptical when I began reading this book--I worried that Holmes and Watson would be far different from their original selves. I was wonderfully surprised once I began reading, and saw that Holmes and Watson were still their familiar selves. Adams did a wonderful job recreating Holmes' often unpredictable moods and Watson's reliable nature!

Again, being a fan of the original, earth-bound stories, I was a little leery about the use of
Marleen
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book starts with Hilary De Montfort, leaving his club after a lucky evening gambling, on to be seen a short while later, desperately running away from something only he can see. When his crushed body is discovered in the middle of a London square it is unclear who or what may have killed him.
Shortly afterwards Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are visited by Dr. John Silence who tells them a strange story about a possessed little girl. A story that fails to convince Sherlock Holmes.
Holmes is fa
Ade Couper
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hmmm.....Always been a fan of Holmes whether in the original or in many of the tales written after . Holmes also lends himself well to Sci-fi/Horror/Steampunk as well (check out the collection "Shadows over Baker Street" which pitches Holmes into the world of HP Lovecraft...) .

So - to "The Breath of God" , which can be boiled down to Sherlock vs Aleister Crowley - with the faithful Watson by his side , aided & abetted by supernatural Investigator Thomas Carnacki . The story starts with 2 dea
David
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, holmes
10 stars: inclusion of Carnacki and Silence

2 stars: an endless supply of editorial and typographical errors

2 stars: writing a Holmes novel in a non-Watsonian, American sounding voice

1 star: taking pride in writing a Holmes novel in a non-Watsonian, American sounding voice

0 stars: writing a Holmes novel in which magic is real (although, at the very least, it ends up being less real than I feared)

Negative 5 stars: zombies

Negative 1 million stars: countless run-on sentences (all connected with com
Helene
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
I was a little afraid at first because Holmes and magic? No way those two could work well together! And I'm very glad I kept on reading because Guy Adams is a really talented writer and he showed me while those two are in fact not working well together, nothing stop the story to be as close to the original Canon (if I can say so) as it can.

Logic always wins in the end, and while I love some good old magic from time to time, I also adore a well written Sherlock Holmes mystery!
Eukaryote
Oct 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Urgghhh well, it finally happened... I knew it would happen eventually... I finally found a Sherlock Holmes book I did NOT like.

Why:

1. Too much paranormal. The ending redeemed it a little bit, but not entirely, because the paranormal still existed even with (view spoiler). When Watson wrote to Holmes, "I was (view spoiler)."... Gawd! I wanted to throw the book out the window.

2. Watson and
Leila Anani
Susan Miller
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
What's not to like about a Sherlock Holmes book. I enjoy a good fantasy romp in the supernatural realm. So, was excited to read a story in which Sherlock & Dr. John unravel supernatural dealings.

Although Sherlock only makes appearances in the story they are enough to whet the appetite. Also Adam's doesn't greatly change his persona. To that end Sherlock does in fact logically conclude the story with the help of his best friend and biographer Dr. John Watson. No surprise there.

I enjoyed th
Tim Rideout
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
'"My views haven't changed," said Holmes. "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Guy Adams mixes Holmes and Watson with historical figures and fictional characters drawn from other works to confront Holmes, the ultimate rationalist, with the forces of supernature.

This a rattling good adventure with moments of genuine terror.

And a certain Inspector George Mann appears...
Rahel
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ein sehr tolles Buch. Da ich ein großer Sherlock Holmes Fan bin mag ich auch Bücher lesen, die ihn als Charakter adaptiert haben. Eine sehr spannende Lektüre, und mit einen sehr guten Ende. Gerechtigkeit kann nicht immer so vollzogen werden, wie man es sich erhofft.
John
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk, pulp
A solid, well written story. Clearly Holmes but also sharing that fantastical victoriana quality that I enjoy.
Maria Thermann
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review of “Sherlock Holmes, the Breath of God” by Guy Adams, ISBN 978-08576-82826, www.titanbooks.com,

A reverend take on Conan Doyle’s most enduring heroes, Dr John Watson and Sherlock Holmes, this book is a fantastic read on a rainy winter’s day. The only criticism I have is that there doesn’t seem to be a follow-up! Actually no, there’s one small niggling point: the novel should be called “Dr Watson, the Breath of God” for there’s precious little of Holmes in it, but what there is, well, it’s
Victor Gentile
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Guy Adams in his book, “Sherlock Holmes: The Breath Of God” a Book in the Encounters of Sherlock Holmes series published by Titan Books brings us a new adventure featuring Sherlock Holmes.

From the Back Cover: The dead are rising

There are some who are determined to see that never happens. A body is fou
Kristen
Feb 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
I am always willing to give a try to an author putting a new spin on the Sherlock Holmes character, with whom I am enamoured. The description of this book offered the additional inducement of a supernatural component. Unfortunately, the result was a disappointment.

First off, the book would have benefited enormously from some proper editing, as there are numerous typos and grammatical errors throughout the book. Perhaps the publishers counted on the general populace's lack of knowledge in this ar
James Swenson
Oct 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
The title says "Sherlock Holmes," but the book doesn't: the characters named Holmes and Watson in The Breath of God don't resemble the famous detective and sidekick, nor do the secondary characters or the setting do anything to recall the work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

The challenge of magic to rationality is presented and then, once the right number of pages have been written, dismissively explained away as hallucination -- apparently, multiple coherent episodes of shared hallucination.

Finally,
Sally
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
On the whole I liked this. Adams' Holmes is one true to Conan Doyle's and one that I liked very much. He wasn't actually in this novel as much as I'd have liked, however Conan Doyle was prone to having Holmes disappear for good portions of a case, as he is really, a solitary sort of soul. The writing here however was effortless, funny and completely right for the period in which the novel is set.

The interspersing of what is termed the Supernatural in this is something that I thought was an inte
Andrew
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Sometimes you just need to read a book for fun and this is a fun book. I'm not overly keen on using another author's characters as a springboard for new work, but Adams does it affectionately and deftly. There's not much to the plot, which is something you only really realise at the end, but it cracks along at a fair pace and whilst there are supernatural elements which might seem out of place in the Doyle canon these are handled sensitively and ambiguously when it comes to their veracity. I had ...more
Riju Ganguly
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Guy Adams' first Sherlockian pastiche is a combination of many things. On one hand it is a pastiche, on the other hand it is a veritable exhibition of occult detecitves of the period (with the noted exception of Flaxman Low, who should have been there) who strike-up an uneasy fellowship with Sherlock Holmes to avert a disaster that was being brought upon by some nefarous occultists. Although the presence of Holmes was rather marginal (except in the climax), Watson gets to play a stellar role in ...more
Jonathan
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sherlock-read
I thoroughly enjoyed this rather different Sherlock Holmes novel. I have read a few novels that combine the greatest fictional detectives and the supernatural and this was one of my favourites. Traditionalists may disagree, but if your looking for something different then this is ideal. Holmes and Watson team up with William Hope Hodgson's famous supernatural detective Thomas Carnacki and Algernon Blackwood's creation John Silence. As these are some of my favourite writers the homage to them wa ...more
Fred Hughes
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is part of a series issued by Titan Books that invites assorted authors to write a story within the Sherlock Holmes cannon but at the same time with the authors genre. Be sure to check them all out.

In this adventure the Breath of God appears to be killing key people through supernatural means. While Holmes does not recognize the supernatural, when he is named as a future victim of the breath of gods he is intrigued.

Watson gets to fully participate in the adventure and Holmes actually w
Pamela
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was very good. It was a Sherlock and Watson, although not so much Sherlock, until near the end. Since all that know and love Sherlock, also know he was never into the supernatural, or magic..unless it was slight of hand. Watson did a good job wandering the country side with three spiritualists, that believe the Breath Of God is to be released on mankind, and all the evidence points that dark magic is involved. All but Sherlock, who does his detecting behind the scenes. The conclusion i ...more
Ken Cook
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it
This was not a bad book. It didn't have enough Holmes in it. I figured it out in the first few chapters but after that the story pulled me away from what I thought was happening. In the end it was what I thought it would be.

The author said he didn't just want to clone ACD's writing style and he succeeded. Watson was the Watson I came to expect. Holmes was what I came to expect of him. But there was too much Watson and too little Holmes. In that way it reminded me of Hound of the Baskervilles.

T
Kathleen
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steam-punk
The only issue I had with Guy Adams- The Breath of God was that Sherlock Holmes came across as more of a secondary character. The only non fiction character was Aleister Crowley and in most of the scenes he appeared, he was little more than a cardboard cutout propped up in the corner. Out of all the characters I thoroughly enjoyed the character of Thomas Carnacki, the only one I was not familiar with before starting the novel and will be reading Hodgson's works. I enjoyed the adaption and will c ...more
Amy
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This was an interesting book. It felt like a crossover between Sherlock Holmes and the TV show Supernatural, which I am a huge fan of.

Despite being a Sherlock book, Sherlock himself was absent for large chunks of the book, leaving Watson and friends to carry on alone. But I instantly liked Watson and became fond of some of the other characters, so it didn't bother me too much.

Actually, my biggest complaint was when Sherlock showed back up at the end and resolved the case. I really didn't want ev
Edward
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I really enjoyed this mix of some of my favorite characters from the Holmesian era. Guy Adams conjures up an Wold- Newton like England using characters from M.R. James, Algernon Blackwood & William Hope Hodgson. If you are a fan of that type of supernatural fiction and want a little Alastair Crowley thrown in for good measure you will enjoy this pastiche. Folks who want their Holmes sticking closer to the Canon might be put out as real suernatural events occur in the novel but, I thought the ...more
Dan
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
A good, entertaining Holmes pastiche story with lots of mysticism and supernatural bugaboos for Sherlock to disprove. Recommended for fans of the world's greatest detective. Titan Publishing evidently has commissioned a whole series of new Holmes stories, and I realize I've already read The Titanic Tragedy by William Seil, also quite good. I may have to pick of more of these if I can find them as cheap ebooks.
Erin
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The good: The voice was fantastic, Watson was great, and there was a lot of action and suspense. The bad: Sherlock is gone for a significant portion of the story, and there's a lot of supernatural activity (that is not satisfactorily explain for a Sherlock Holmes novel, in my opinion). So it was an okay read and I enjoyed Holmes and Watson, but I won't be buying it for my own collection or rereading it anytime soon.
Baker Street Irre...: Sherlock Holmes: The Breath of God 1 8 Dec 31, 2012 03:29PM
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Man from Hell (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Spirit Box
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
  • Sherlock Holmes in America
  • A Study In Lavender: Queering Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Army of Dr. Moreau