Start by marking “Secret Obsession” as Want to Read:
Secret Obsession

Secret Obsession

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  1,223 Ratings  ·  165 Reviews
Paige Donahue has always lived in her sister Camille's shadow. As children, Camille had the grades, the friends, and their parents' love, while Paige was left with hand-me-downs and criticism. Now as adults, Camille lives an idyllic life with her husband, Pierce, and her two perfect children in a beautiful home, while Paige is stuck in a small condo with bills she can't af ...more
Published September 6th 2011 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Secret Obsession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Obsession

Caitlin
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was torn between 2 and 3 stars on this book because it DID keep me turning the pages. It did intrigue me enough to keep reading at night past the time I had planned to, because I wanted to see how it turned out. However, the book was just not well written. Each sentence seemed so deliberate and bland - I felt like I was reading something written in the style of a middle or high-school student (not that some of them can't be talented writers). Certain portions of dialogue just seemed pointless. ...more
Patty
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Fast summary...

Two sisters...one more blessed than the other in many ways...one has everything...the other wants everything...including her sister's husband...the methods used to force this to happen were extreme...very extreme.

My thoughts...

This book sounded so much better than it was...I guess I thought it might be similar to an Emily Giffin or a Sophie Kinsella book but it was not.
Predictable plot, sort of an outrageous storyline and not very likable characters. It makes me sad to say this. I
African Americans on the Move Book Club
Roby does what she does best in Secret Obsessions; she kept me reading. The storyline was intriguing. Camille’s envious and demented sister, Paige, attempts to take her husband, Pierce, and her family. Paige uses sex, rape, blackmail, and a fantasy romance to snatch Pierce away from Camille, but alas, love prevails! Always anticipating Paige’s next move, it was hard to put the book down until I finished.

Nevertheless, the story was predictable almost immediately. While I couldn’t wait to read abo
OOSA
Oct 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Living Nightmare

Born in her older sister’s shadow, Paige Donahue has always felt less than while Camille was the apple of her parents’ eye. Even now as adults, Camille is married to a wonderful man with two children, a boastful home, and whatever her heart desires.

Paige is determined to finally land on top of the pyramid no matter who she has to hurt to get there. Will this family be able to handle the betrayal, lies and deceit?

“Secret Obsession” is predictable from start to finish and wraps u
Stephanie
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I finished this book so fast I surprised myself. The story line was a good one. It kept me turning the pages. The characters were on point and the role they played was good for a great story. I found myself chuckling at times because Paige seemed like a character out of one of my books. This was definitely a good read the only thing I would have like to read more of was Paige's mental problem. It would've been nice to see her mother attempt to go to counseling. Them going together would've been ...more
Ann
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
One of the lucky people that won this book as a pre- release. As with all Kimberla Lawson Roby books this was an excellent read!!!
Leah
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Secret Obsession is the kind of novel I wish more authors would write. Honestly, I do. I’m a huge fan of Chick Lit, but rarely is there a plot where the main character does something terrible. In the case of Secret Obsession Paige Donahue wants to steal her sister Camille’s husband and as soon as I saw that premise on Netgalley I requested it straight away and was thrilled to be accepted to read and review it. The moral dilemma put me off, but the plot fascinated, too. I wanted to know Paige’s r ...more
Georgina
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it

Have you ever thought your best friends boyfriend was cute? I'm sure most of us have found this to be the case but we would never take things any further than that. Well, how about taking it one step further and becoming obsessed with your sisters husband. Afterall thats what happens in Secret Obsession, Paige falls for her sister, Camille's husband.

Mahoghani 23
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This book started out hot from the beginning. Family can be your own worse enemy. Paige's hatred for her sister Camille causes her to do the ultimate betrayal amongst family members. At first I thought that her mom was so cruel towards Paige but I believe that she, Maxine (their mom) should have given her up for adoption because she couldn't love her like a mother should. A plot of rape and then a plot to have Camille caught by her husband in bed with another man was the ultimate drama. However ...more
Norman LaVelle
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh My God!!! Kimberla Lawson Roby, WOW! What a story. First off the main character, Paige, was truly disturbed. Her plight of living in her sister's shadow her entire childhood had finally pushed her to far over the edge. I don't want to give away the story but I will say this. The lengths that some people will go to for happiness is a bit frightening. A story filled with lies, rage, jealousy and deceit. You will not want to put this book down until you complete it. Its a quick read but should b ...more
Sharon
when you say love honor and betray thats what you think when you read this story of two sister's and one man. One sister a loving wife and mother and the other sister that would do anything to be happy and that means anything she will hurt her sister and parent's. Paige is a nice looking young lady that will do anything to get her sister husband she would even get beat up and rape just to live in there house she wants to be so much like her sister but can her sister camille forgive her for almos ...more
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
1st read by Roby and I have to say that I found it an experience. This Paige chick is totally off her rocker. This is apparent from the very beginning. Right from the start you begin to see ta there is something just not right about her. Paige needed to seriously look at her life and examine herself before stepping out into the world daily. She just was not right and I think that has a lot to do with her 'mom' and her treatment.

Lawson Roby penned a very convincing 'obsessed woman'.
Chanel
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I actually listened to this via audiobook and the voice was awesome. Paige was a little twisted but it all made sense in the end. People really need to be careful on how they treat one another. It was a pretty good book!
Myia Antoinette
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Definitely an easy and intriguing read but I believe Roby added fluff in the wrong areas while neglecting character development. I give it 3 stars for holding my attention.
Aimee
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
I really think the book is pretty good. My emotions were up and down the whole way through. The plot is great. I cannot say that I knew what was going to happen the entire time like with some other books and movies, which is a good thing. Based on the story line, I would really like to read more of her books. My only problem with this book is the grammar. I understand she was trying to write in past tense but she put the word "had" in front of almost every past tense verb in the book! One partic ...more
Cathy
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listened
This was the first book I have read by Ms. Roby. I do intend to go out and read her other works. This book has me interested in her writing and a fan of this book in the process.

This was a good story, a very twisted tale. While listening (book on CD) to the story I kept thinking, "Wow, some people are really this disillusioned." I was on the edge of my seat waiting to find out what was going to happen next. The characters were believable to me and that's what drew me in. They were written well a
Brownsuga5
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I must say that I enjoyed this book. I was glad of how unexpected it was. A very quick read.

Camille is the pretty, smart, good hearted sister with the wonderful husband and two good kids. She's a housewife participating in a number of volunteer work who is adored by her mother and father.

Paige is also pretty and smart but a great manipulator and schemer. She's not well liked by her mother but instead of messing her moms life up she sees her sister, Camille, as the enemy and starts to plot to t
Shelley
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed every Kimberla Lawson Roby book I have read and this one was no exception. Paige has lived in her sister Camille's shadow all her life and she is sick of it. She has devised a devious scheme to take away everything her sister loves, starting with her husband Pierce.

This was a very quick read as I couldn't wait to figure out what Paige would do next. The only criticism I have is that Camille and Pierce were just way too naive and stupid, unbelievably so. Still, a very good read.
Sheena  at Hot Eats and Cool Reads
I feel like I've read this book before. It was so predictable, that it will be soon forgotten. It is a mixture of many books I've read before and nothing stood out as remarkable or different. Overall it was still a decent read, not either good or bad, just a time passer. There was a small twist at the end that I never expected so that made it a bit better. I've really liked some of her other books I've read, so I will still be checking more of them out.

Glenda
I have read several of this author's books and enjoy her writing, but Secret Obsession fell short for me. The whole story felt rushed. The plot was ok but the events seemed far-fetched. I kept wondering how she was going to make everything come together at the end. And then the ending seemed like a last minute decision on how to finish the book and make the actions of the characters make sense.

All that said, I love the author and will continue to read her work. This book just didn't do it for me
Urbanbookbabe
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, it truly was a page turner. I just couldn't put it down! There is something about a main character whose moral compass is questionable. However, I do feel like something in the book was missing.

Paige was an envious, self entitled, psycho b- with an itch. To be fair, I partially blame the mother and Paige did have a mental disorder.

In the end, I felt nothing but pity for Paige. I'm glad she got the help she needed though.

If your looking for a quick page turner, you should de
Destiny
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. One should never covet something that another has. Mental illness is real. Paige was crazy. The things she did in this book I would never do. The ending helped clear a lot of things up for me in terms of how her mental state was. Honesty is always the best policy. I'm glad there was an epilogue so I could have some closure to the book.I recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a good, short book, a novella.
Msladydeborah
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Secret Obsession is a decent book. It is the story of about two sisters. One decides to create total chaos in the life of the other sister as a form of revenge for years of jealously.

This book reads pretty quick. I have read other novels by Kimberla Lawson Roby that have a lot of depth to them. This particular book is some what soap operaish in nature. It's not a bad read but it is not one that requires a lot of thinking from one moment to the next.
Carolyn Alleyne
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
For those of you who are fans of the author's Reverend Black's works, as I am, this is a good departure from that. I thought the story was a bit disjointed but it is a story of redemption and how sometimes we get so wrapped up in our own issues, we don't always remember our parents had lives and had issues themselves that can sometimes prevent them from doing the best job they need to.
Donna Brown
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quick-read
In the process of purchasing a house and got real stressed about spending my savings. So what does any writer do when they are stressed out? I personally decided I had to escape and picked up this book. It is a quick read and the point of view is from an unbalanced person. (Kind of how I was feeling). This book was exactly what I needed to stop my Obsession about spending too much money.
Mattie
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read! There are really no words to describe Paige and her sick determination through out this book. However, when everything finally hit the fan, I felt sorry for Paige. In the end Camille truly defies human nature. I was really expecting a different ending. This turned out to be a real 'feel good' kind of story. Thank you Ms. Roby!
Anita Dawson
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Paige Donahue has always lived in the shadow of her sister Camille, even as adults she still can't let it go. The mistake that she makes is going after her sister's family. She not only did not get the result that she wanted, she ended up damaging her life in the long run.
Julie  jackson
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
At first I was like Paige was delusional but found out towards the end she had a mental disorder which caused her to be harmful to her sister camille cause she thought she had been treated differently by her mom. But overall that's why I gave it the rating I did.
Molly
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy all of Kimberla Lawson Roby's books that I have read. The character, Paige, in this book is crazy! The family dynamics are also very interesting. I could not put this book down!
Sheila Jackson
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Kimberla Lawson Roby did it again. Secret Obsession is packed with drama and Deceits. Loved it!
Mother's role 1 4 Jul 07, 2012 07:23PM
  • Take Your Pleasure Where You Find It
  • Don't Tell a Soul
  • All Up In My Business
  • Mama Ruby
New York Times Bestselling Author, Kimberla Lawson Roby, has published thirteen novels which include, BEST FRIENDS FOREVER, THE ULTIMATE BETRAYAL, A CHRISTMAS PRAYER, THE PRODIGAL SON, A HOUSE DIVIDED, THE PERFECT MARRIAGE, THE REVEREND'S WIFE, SECRET OBSESSION, LOVE, HONOR, and BETRAY, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU PRAY FOR, A DEEP DARK SECRET, THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, ONE IN A MILLION, SIN NO MORE, LOVE &a ...more
More about Kimberla Lawson Roby...