Start by marking “Follow the Line to School” as Want to Read:
Follow the Line to School

Follow the Line to School

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  136 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Follow the line from the science corner to the library, from recess to show-and-tell. This new Follow the Line book-illustrated in Laura Ljungkvist's signature line style-takes children on a colorful, comforting, and altogether fun romp through the school day. With its unique modern design and engaging interactive text, Follow the Line to School is sure to appeal to both n ...more
Published July 7th 2011 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Follow the Line to School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow the Line to School

Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla, picture-book
There's a lot going on in this book, making it essential that it be used with a small group or maybe one-on-one. The premise is that readers will follow the line to school and different places there, such as the cafeteria, classroom, and playground. There is much for readers to do: Find the class pet, locate the letter that starts their names, figure out what an open book might be about, count the number of headsets, figure out what happens when blue and yellow are mixed, move through several ma ...more
Green Bean
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An artful interactive trek through elementary school! There are things to read, count, spot, and wonder in every classroom! How many elephants live in the science corner? What color do you get if you mix blue and yellow paint? Which foods would you eat for lunch? Collaged kiwis, cartoon xylophones, and real kid drawings fill this book with color and charm. Parents will love exploring and explaining the grand finale Show-and-Tell page, which features a mini slug bug, matryoshka dolls, Deutsche Ma ...more
Mary Ann
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the interactive nature of this book. It asks readers to follow the line around the school, inviting the reader to trace with her finger. The text also asks simple, but engaging questions about the illustrations (Fred is the class pet. Can you guess what type of animal he is?). These questions also engage the reader to connect exploring the pictures to their own school experience. This is a fun, visual treat that will engage some readers - but not great for a large group setting.
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Clever story that takes a young reader through the school day. Lots of questions to encourage readers to study the illustrations and think.
Readers trace the line around and through the pages for a tactile experience too.
Ms Threlkeld
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Engaging concept. Great read aloud for the first week of school.
Carol Jen
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Great for reading 1 on 1 as there are activities to do on each page... not so good for a group of kids together.
I remember being really interested in this book some time ago and hoping to find a copy. Now that I have, I'm disappointed. The art is fairly gaudy and the puzzle-esque games on each page are boring.
Liz Todd
Would be a great parent/child read-aloud more than a story-time selection. I enjoyed following the line and "noticing" in the pictures.
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Another fun Follow the Line book.
Eliana Jaroch
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very busy book. I love the art style, but it was a bit overwhelming. I think that if I chose to use this book in my classroom, I would opt to use it in a small group setting as a read aloud. It is extremely interactive, and I could picture using it at the beginning of the school year (especially in kindergarten) to get the students acquainted to school. There is a lot going on on each page, so I think some of the most important parts of this book would get lost in translation as a who ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This fourth book in the Follow the Line series focuses on a classroom setting. The reader follows the line through the welcoming red doors of a school, right into a classroom with a pet rabbit, bookcases, globe, bookshelves, plants, and a science corner. This first glimpse of the classroom even shows a white board, which lists what the class will do today. The line leads us through each activity - library, art, free play, lunch, recess, math, music, and show and tell. Finally, it sends us back o ...more
Oct 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book that has so many interesting things to look at as well as a continuous line (similar to Harold and the Purple Crayon) that takes us throughout a school day. I thought perhaps this might be a bit too young for our girls, but they really liked it and would argue over who got to trace the line next. We'd make funny sound effects as we followed the line with our finger and we laughed a lot reading this book. We will certainly look for other Follow the Line books by Laura Ljungkvis ...more
Alicia Evans
This book definitely has an adorable premise: follow the drawn line throughout the book to move from page to page. You move through various classrooms and school activities such as art, recess, and science. At each room, there are a series of questions to slow down the book and promote discussion between the readers. In this way, the book is interactive but it also makes it extremely long. It may be more effective for the child to turn directly to their favorite activity instead of going through ...more
Brigid Keely
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, 2013
"Follow the Line to School," by Laura Ljungkvist, is a gentle and interesting introduction to what young kids can expect at school. The book progresses through different classrooms and areas, with small activities on each page like color or shape recognition, mazes, early math concepts, etc. There isn't much text. What there is lends itself well to re-reads. There's so much going on in the book that there's a lot to discuss as well.
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Definitely one on one book. Would be a great book for a young child going to school for the first time or back to school. Questions posed by author open the door for discuss between parent and child about the school experience. Also has interactive element..."what other animals shown here also live in the water?" then you must search illustration and decide which animals shown would fit into that catagory. Illlustrations are busy, but the question posed help the reader focus.

Sarah Adamson
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book to my daughter's kindergarten class today after getting a free copy from Brightly education resources.
I think it worked for the group as we didn't do all the extra activities but instead related it to their own classroom. Reading one on one or to a very small group would let the kids get even more out of the book including I spy type games.
A fun clever book that really worked for the early days of school to help enhance them learning about all different activities.
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A fun exploration of all the things one could see and explore at school. Clever and exciting, with questions to encourage exploration of the ilustrations, beyond following the line. Fun details to notice (e.g. the schedule in the first classroom lists the classrooms and subjects still to come.)

Great for sharing, especially for someone who might have some jitters--it's so cheerful and involving, you can't imagine being worried or stressed.
Hae Sun
Apr 07, 2014 added it
Shelves: social-studies
This book would be a fun book to introduce at the beginning of the school year because it shows the similarities and differences between student schools and schools in the book. It is a great way to ease into nonfiction books because it introduces facts in a way that is non overwhelming. Also, because this book is in a series, I can use other nonfiction book in the series so children are able to make a connection
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: interactive
A lovely introduction to school for young readers. In this interactive and beautifully illustrated book, children follow the line from one school activity to the next. Each page also includes several hints to locate items in the picture. Recommended for children preparing for Kindergarten.

Recommended for one-on-one or small group reading, the pictures are simply too busy and the items to locate to small for young children to be able to effectively navigate in a larger group setting.
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
My early elementary audience and I really enjoyed this interactive title where a line is traced through many aspects of school. Subjects ranging from music to math are included as well as lunchtime and recess. This is a title that will work fine with a group but also an excellent choice for solo enjoyment.
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-2nd
Another great back to school book for young grades (kinder/first). Good for teacher's doing tour's of the could read this first and talk about what you might see when you walk through the building.
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Great read-aloud book, though with two daughters, I have to specify which question is for each daughter (otherwise they fight over who answers). And I like the questions; they're more creative than I expected to find in this book.
Miss Sarah
May 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
A great interaction book for back to schoolers or first time schoolers. Takes you through each classroom and asks questions that the answers are in the picture for. Might help some get over their back to school anxieties. A little long.
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-these-books at week of 8/22/2011
Edward Sullivan
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Busy and fun like the others.
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think you should know, this star number was picked by my listener and I only read 1/5 of the words to her. This book felt like watching mtv to me!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Very busy pictures - takes some concentration to focus on just following the line. Would be difficult to use as a read aloud - definitely need to read this as a 1:1
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: school
Age: K - 2nd grade
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: letter
Encourages young readers to follow the line as it travels through a typical school day, including story-time, recess, library time, and show-and-tell.
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Hard to follow, too busy for me
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »