Start by marking “Heart of Clay (The Women of Tenacity #1)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Clay (The Women of Tenacity #1)

Heart of Clay

(The Women of Tenacity #1)

Have you ever kept a secret? Deception wars with love in this sweet contemporary western romance.

Strong-willed, successful and determined, Callan Matthews lives the facade of a happy, wonderful life. Unfortunately, unbridled chaos runs amuck in the deep, dark places of her heart as she struggles to keep herself together. Her once beloved husband, Clay, tugs relentlessly

Published June 2011

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Clay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of Clay

Glenda Kinard
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heart of Clay is just amazing. I never read anything less than amazingly wonderful by the talented Shanna Hatfield. Clay and Callan story is like a ride on your favorite roller coaster ride full of highs, lows, sharp turns and occasionally a loop or two. I enjoyed every minute of the emotional ride this book took me on. My heart is full of love for Clay and Callan. This book is proof that even the most seemingly perfect marriage can hit explosive possible relationship destroying times especially ...more
Jessica Bryan
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ereader
FINALLY. Finally a good book that had wonderfully developed characters, a beautiful storyline, and not so much unnecessary drama that I wanted to bash my head into a wall. I absolutely loved this entire story. Callan was very annoying to me at first, but she grew on me as she changed. And what woman wouldn't love Clay? Such a beautiful story. The only thing that could make it better would be if they had some kiddos of their own, even if they were adopted. Thank you for this refreshing and amazin ...more
Judy Esposito
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommend

I enjoy reading everything Shanna Hatfield writes and this book did not disappoint me. I like both the hero, Clay and heroine, Callan and following their story through the highs and lows of their marriage. A very touching love story filled with humor, tears and romance. I like the secondary characters and hope to see them in the next book. JudyE
Tonya Lucas
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shanna Hatfield has an amazing writing style that just weaves itself into your heart. Whether it’s an uplifting book with humor or one that tugs at your heartstrings as this book did, you can always bet on a satisfying journey.
The Heart Of Clay is a book every woman whether married or not should read. Very emotional story, but healing at the same time.
I’m so glad I took this journey with Clay and Callen.
I believe, I also learned a powerful lesson in loving your soul mate.
Secrets and animosity
Stephanie Jenkins Ortiz Cerrillo
I just realized I didn't have a review showing up for this book! I have loved all the Shanna Hatfield books I was read to date!
Jeffrey
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Although the author is one of my favorite contemporary authors, I have to grudgingly admit I didn't enjoy this one too much.

I found the author's over-use of the physical descriptions of both the hero and heroine finally tiring and unnecessary.

Without delving into spoilers I found it rather a stretch that the heroine hid one of the most traumatic events in her life from her husband especially since it intimately involved them both! (This same event occurred in our own married life and I persona
Janice M Blakey
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful romantic story about true love!

This story not only takes the reader thru the blissful & tingling feelings of young love but deeper as life takes its toil on the relationship. It is very refreshing to see how true love can survive and flourish when both work together and communicate. Very uplifting and practical approach to a relationship.
Erjane
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of falling deeper in love with that same person all over again. And finding ways to fall even deeper in love every single day. :)
Cici
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clean-romance
Yeah! A love story about a married couple. Full of lots of flashbacks. The love story had drama and emotion. I enjoyed it!
Peggy
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet book to relax for the evening with.
Dorothy Roller
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this contemporary western by Shanna Hatfield was really unusual for her from all the stories I have read before. I loved it and couldn't put it down. She has well complex developed characters in this story as she does in all her stories, but this one made me want to cry, laugh, and get a bit upset at the circumstances that the hero and heroine go through to finally get to the love and romance they both wanted and deserved.
Boy the ups and downs in this story really had my emotions going.
The
Kristina
Unlike most of the romance books which I enjoy reading, this one was about a married couple in their 30s who'd been married for over 10 years. Clay was sensing that his relationship with his wife was changing. She was less patient and more distant with him, focusing more on her work than their marriage. According to Callan, her husband Clay was not putting in his share of effort in maintaining their home and marriage. Tension was erupting between them as they both reflected on how they met, fell ...more
Rose Ann
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book ever

The Heart of Clay will take you down a road of a young couple Callan and Clay. After being married for 13 years Callan can’t remember exactly when their loved changed but all she feels is anger and resentment for Clay.

Clay rememberers the first time he saw his wife, she was the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with . Callan has changed so much over the last few years, he can’t figure out exactly when or why but he can’t live this way !! Little does Clay k ow the secret
Barbara
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love Conquers All

Call an and Clay fell in love immediately. Clay asked her to marry him and she said yes. Years went by as they both worked on careers and a new business for Callan. They wanted a family but not yet. When Callan miscarried, she didn't tell Clay thinking she'd find a better time. This secret nearly destroyed their marriage until Clay had a life threatening accident. Through his painful recovery, they found their way back to each other and renewed their vows on their thirteenth ann
Jan Niblock
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this story and I have to say that the author really made you fall in love with the characters. Clay and Callan really had a lot of issues and they were so true to life. I found myself really understanding how easy it was for someone who had little self-confidence to find herself doing things to sabotage her own marriage. I was in tears at times and I laughed at other times, which is what a good story does to you. I was surprised by many things that I expected to happen but didn’t ...more
Tracy Sylvester
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved loved loved Clay and Callan's story. Callan is a party planner by day and also has her own party planning business at night out of her own home. Clay is a well loved local teacher. Both Callan and Clay's love story is so absolutely believable you feel you're part of it. This story has romance, ranching, teaching, party planning, suspense, and heartache. However, we also see forgiveness, healing and of course lots of love! This is a wonderful 5 star read!
Jestine Myers
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a nice, fluffy, light read to break up the heavier books I sometimes get into. I still feel as if I am decompressing from a heavy book, and this one appropriately distracted me. The characters were rather standard, the action pretty predictable, and the ending was not a surprise. Again, it wasn't a book of great depth, but it filled a need for me.
Shannon
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this story! I almost fainted with Callan when the doctor came out...! What a true test of love these two went through! So glad it was a really happy ending. Looking forward to reading more from Shanna Hatfield!
Kay
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Boring. I read almost 50% before I gave up which was way too much. I did read the last chapter and felt I would not be missing anything. I usually enjoy this author. Also, there was no table of contents in the Kindle edition which is always a big disappointment.
Bonnie E Case
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet read

This book held my attention even thought I had 6 of my grandchildren here for a week. At first I wasn't sure I wanted to read this book as I really didn't want to read about a dysfunctional couple. Then it got better and I was cheering them on.
Merry
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tough on yourself because of

This book was really good and it brought home that you start to believe the negative that someone has spoke over you for years. God is so good that he can bring so much love into our lives, if we believe.
Solis Ortencia
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Get the tissues ready

Such an emotional rollercoaster, if I wasn't crying I was laughing. Deals with issues that most of us can relate to and have had to deal with at some point in our lives or know someone that has. Absolutely recommend it.
Kathryn Munsell
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Called and Clay are in a rough spot in their marriage. As the story unwinds you begin to understand Caleb’s heart and you see Clay’s love.
Jacqueline Higgs
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a really lovely story
Angel Graham
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Sweet

I mostly enjoyed this. It's definitely a sweet romance, with "closed doors"...for those unused to that term..nothing more than kissing, light petting. Sex is "fade to black."
Shauna
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I so enjoy a good "already married" book. Marriage is amazing, but man, it takes work, and this author did a good job bringing two people back to being in love. Clay is a sweet and incredibly patient man. All the good ones are.
Lisa
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Original and moving

This is not your traditional boy meets girl love story, it is a look at what can happen after the vows when real life begins. A fabulous mix of characters make this story of love, loss, secrets and heartbreak a truly wonderful read.
Julie Jobe
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Life is not always easy and neither is marriage, but you can overcome the obstacles that come your way. Shanna Hatfield shows us that in Heart of Clay. I enjoyed the trips down memory lane in her story and discovering how Clay and Callan fell in love, and then watching them rekindle their love and work on saving their marriage even in the midst of some pretty intense trials. By the end of the book, they had not only successfully rekindled their love, but had fallen even more deeply in love with ...more
Abbie
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I appreciate the way the author's romantic heart is evident in this book and this heart is hand in hand with building a mature relationship. A relationship that is going to require 'tenacity' to go through the tough stuff of life towards a maturing bond between husband and wife, with faith, hope, and love. I loved the main characters, the country - small community living and interaction between the characters. I recommend, for sure!
Rhonda Murray
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This one hits all the emotions

I don't want to give anything away,but here's what you need to know. If you're struggling in your marriage, if you've had a secret breaking your heart, if your growing up years weren't ideal, this book will stop you in your tracks and help you rethink your actions. I'm missing my husband already this am and hoping i can put lots of this good advice into practice.

• Tess in Boots
  • You Belong with Me (Love and Dessert Trilogy, #1)
  • A Good-Lookin' Man
  • Blind Sided
  • Operation Kiss the Girl (Snow Valley Romance)
  • Third Time's the Charm (Aliso Creek #2)
  • Love on the Rocks (Hawaii Billionaire Romance #1)
  • Forget Me Not (The Heart's Spring, #1)
  • Just One Summer: A Romance Novella Collection
  • Echoes of Pemberley
  • Down to You (Love on Edge, #1)
  • Emma: A Latter-Day Tale
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: Spring Vacation Collection
  • It's in His Kiss (Brew Ha Ha, #0.5)
  • Safe in His Arms (Manhunt, #1)
  • Remember Our Song: A Billionaire Romance (Our Song, #3)
  • Point Hope
  • All I Want
A hopeless romantic with a bit of sarcasm thrown in for good measure, Shanna Hatfield is a best-selling author of clean romantic fiction written with a healthy dose of humor.

In addition to blogging and eating too much chocolate, she is completely smitten with her husband, lovingly known as Captain Cavedweller.

Shanna creates character-driven romances with realistic heroes and heroines. Her histor

The Women of Tenacity (3 books)
  • Country Boy vs. City Girl (The Women of Tenacity #2)
  • Not His Type