Start by marking “Queen Without a Crown (Ursula Blanchard, #9)” as Want to Read:
Queen Without a Crown (Ursula Blanchard, #9)

Queen Without a Crown

(Ursula Blanchard #9)

The ninth gripping murder mystery to feature Ursula Blanchard, special aide to Elizabeth I - November, 1569. Happily married to her third husband, Hugh Stannard, lady-in-waiting Ursula Blanchard is hoping to give up her undercover work for Queen Elizabeth l in order to enjoy domestic bliss. But when Hugh unwittingly endangers possession of his ancestral home, Ursula is f ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Creme de la Crime

To ask other readers questions about Queen Without a Crown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen Without a Crown

Amy
This was another good book in the Ursula Blanchard series. Suspense, but not too much. Interesting mystery to unravel in interesting ways. Compassion and kindness, but also some violence and death.
Judith Starkston
Fiona Buckley’s latest installment in her Ursula Blanchard mystery series set in Elizabeth I’s court, Queen without a Crown, will please her fans. (The author’s real name is Valerie Anand, and the first in the series is To Shield the Queen, 1997.) Ursula is back in action on a double mission, one from Elizabeth and a private one that Ursula hopes will reap the funds needed to save her husband’s estate from debtors. Once again champions of Mary of Scotland are rebelling in order to put a Catholic ...more
Michelle
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the 9th book in the series. Ursula takes on an investigation in hopes of clearing the family name of a young man and in the process, using the payment to rescue her family’s property from a debt. The private assignment seems almost hopeless; the poisoning murder took place more than 20 years ago, but Ursula works diligently to search out potential clues. Her investigation dovetails with an assignment from the queen who is worried about treachery involving Mary, Queen of Scots. Ursula tra ...more
Michell Karnes
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The main character Ursula Blanchard is a half-sister to Queen Elizabeth I and often a spy for her government. Ursula is sent north to try and find out where individuals, who are trying to put Mary Queen of Scots on the British throne, are located. But Ursula also undertakes a job from a young man who believes his father was unjustly accused of murder. This is a fun easy to read historical mystery during the reign of Elizabeth I.
Ann Boytim
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Ursula Blanchard is now happily married to her third husband and is still a lady in waiting at Queen Elizabeth I court. Ursula has done some spying for the Queen in the past and now has been asked to assist again as Mary Queen of Scots is trying to form a rebellion against her sister. Ursula and her husband have two estates in the country but they need to money to save one of their homes. Ursula's travels take her to the north of England.
BRT
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A slight deviation from the standard in this series, Ursula is helping a young man clear his father's name so that he can marry the girl of his heart. However, the Queen, always quick to take advantage of a situation, sees a way to use Ursula to spy for her. The plot is slow at first, with successive, sudden escape action. Not necessarily the best in this series, but still good.
Janet
Even when I get lost in the intricacies of Buckley’s retelling of political plots (something that happens more often than I care to admit), I can still enjoy these mysteries for the characters themselves.
Karen
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was by no means brilliant literature, but the writing was interesting enough to make me want to read other books in this series.
Lalla
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is part of the series about Ursula Blanchard in the court of Queen Elizabeth the first. In his novel, Ursula has two missions. She has an assignment from the Queen as well as a personal one that involves saving her husband's property.

The author recreates the English villages of the is period and makes the settings interesting as well as describing how clothes were produced and portraits painted for people so they could remember how their children looked. Something we take for granted with a
Margaret Sankey
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Ninth in a lightweight but well-done mystery series, this one has Ursula Blanchard (fictional bastard half-sister of Elizabeth I, with pink Tudor hair), found useful by Cecil and Walsingham as a spy over the course of the series, straightening out a young courtier's marital prospects while gathering intelligence on the Northern Rebellion of the Earls in support of Mary Stuart. Buckley clearly does her research, and doesn't stint on the reality of how long and how unpleasant any kind of travel is ...more
Jenna
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I would actually give this a 3.5 if I could.
It is about time there was a new Ursula Blanchard mystery; I have been waiting for this book for far too long. I did not find it as compelling as its predecessor The Siren Queen but I read it quickly enough and could not put it down and enjoyed that it continued series without seeming to deviate from established characters and plots.
Jenni
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
The start of the book seemed slow to me, but the author once again does a great job laying out a tidy story with details that fall together intelligently. Loved the suspense she builds during a chase scene! I'm looking forward to the next book, but wonder what more Buckley can do with these characters that she hasn't already done.
San
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
An enjoyable read with a really interesting antagonist in Lady Anne - although I do want to know how she knew about Ursula's relationship to the queen. I am unexcited about her relationship with Hugh - and his constant need for reassurance that she doesn't want to return to Matthew is a little annoying.
Wynne
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I confess that this series is beginning to get a little stale for me. But I am committed to keeping up with Ursula and her family. I like the characters better than the intrigue. But Valerie Anand (aka Fiona Buckley) knows her history and so the details are fun too.
Bonnie
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
The joys of having a Nook - I found another Ursula Blanchard book, which are rare locally. Some of the best of Victorian mysteries in my view. I always have to look up some of the history because I get so interested in it. This one didn't disappoint me.
Kate
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Continuing adventures and perils of Ursula, lady-in-waiting to Queen Elizabeth and some-time spy. Fun and a good read as usual. Now I have to figure out which ones I have read and go find the others!
Cathy D.
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it

Just finished reading this one for the second time. I wanted to refresh my memory before moving onto Buckley's recent additions to the series. I thoroughly enjoy the character development, intrigue and plot twists.
Denise
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am so happy to getto read more about Ursula and her adventures in the service to Queen Elizabeth I. I had missed this series and was glad Fiona Buckley wrote more. This is one of my favorite series and I was not disappointed with this book.
Paula
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
This was the first of the series I'd read. It was interesting enough that I want to go back to the beginning and see how it all started.
Julie
I have an emotional attachment to these books that undoubtedly makes me overrate them but they are perfect for me as warm, comforting reads.
Carol
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am 3/4 finished, and so far Ms Buckley is following her standard formula for these books. They are light reading and the heroine is fun No sex in them so that is good
Georgia Lengyel
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book started out slow, but the first half was only laying a foundation for the rest of the book. Then, as usual, Ursula and Brockley got themselves into one fine mess.
Linda
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another decent historical from Fiona Buckley. I especially enjoyed the food and utensil fight in a manor's kitchen.
Meg
Nov 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I can't tell if this the last she will write about Ursala Blanchard. It was a good series, but I wouldn't be sad if this was it.
Mark Lutterman
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
fun mind candy.
Beth
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
So glad there's another Ursula Blanchard mystery after so long! Is it too much to hope there will be at least one more in the future?
Paula
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: z2012-reads
I do enjoy this series but find Ursula and her husband's relationship oddly unexciting. I felt disconnected from the characters in this installment. Hope next one has a little more umph in it.
Laurel
Jan 13, 2018
Alaina Ward
May 26, 2013
Lee
Aug 22, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Face Down Beneath the Eleanor Cross (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #4)
  • The Witch's Tale (Sister Frevisse Medieval Mysteries)
  • A Deadly Penance (Templar Night Mystery #6)
  • Death at Glamis Castle (Kathryn Ardleigh, #9)
  • The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3)
  • Sold Down the River (Benjamin January, #4)
  • Laws in Conflict (Burren Mysteries #8)
  • The Queene's Christmas (Elizabeth I, #6)
Valerie Anand is a British author of historical fiction. Under the pen name Fiona Buckley she writes the series of historical mysteries, set in the reign of Elizabeth I of England, featuring "Ursula Blanchard" (whose full name is Ursula Faldene Blanchard de la Roche Stannard). Under her own name she writes historical fiction based on the royalty of England and the Bridges over Time series which fo ...more

Ursula Blanchard (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • To Shield the Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #1)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3)
  • To Ruin A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #4)
  • Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)
  • A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)
  • The Fugitive Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #7)
  • The Siren Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #8)
  • Queen's Bounty (Ursula Blanchard, #10)
  • A Rescue For A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #11)