Start by marking “No Evil Star: Selected Essays, Interviews, and Prose” as Want to Read:
No Evil Star: Selected Essays, Interviews, and Prose

No Evil Star: Selected Essays, Interviews, and Prose

Collects the best of Anne Sexton's memoirs and prose reflections on her development as a poet
Published September 30th 1985 by University of Michigan Press

To ask other readers questions about No Evil Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Evil Star

Start your review of No Evil Star: Selected Essays, Interviews, and Prose
Michael
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, favorites
Bringing together scattered stories, essays, and interviews, No Evil Star offers some insight into the craft behind Anne Sexton's poems. The interviews dominate the small book, though, and as most of Sexton's responses were rehearsed and prepackaged, they start to read as repetitive after a short while. The co-interview given with Maxine Kumin after both poets achieved fame stands out as a highlight, because of how spontaneous it is.
Dave
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The interviews here offer insight's into Sexton's poetry and writing process. I loved the joke about how after her poetry class she'd park in the No Loading zone by the bar and say that it was ok because she was going to get loaded. In another interview with Maxine Kumin, she down played how much she drank on those outings.

I would have like for her to go more in depth in the interviews about whatever poem she just read. The best interviews were for college students. The ones at the ends kind of
Kasandra
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it
If you've read biographies of Sexton, this book won't add a lot to your understanding of her or her work, BUT, there's a sonnet in here that was uncollected in the books which I rather liked, and some interviews in here that do round out the time line of Sexton's learning as a poet as well as her approach to writing poetry and how it changed over time. This book really makes clear how ahead of her time Sexton was in her voice and subject matter, and once again makes me sad in terms of wondering ...more
Michael
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am glad I read this book. The author committed suicide after a late career as a poet (which began with poems while in a mental institution). The interviews about writing and life show a woman with a very rich life and very insightful thoughts on the writing life. She is a good friend (and has an interview with a dear friend included in this collection). To me there was much in here that was helpful in reflecting on writing, but also in reflecting on life and death and pain and suffering and ...more
Jennifer Collins
Sexton's thoughts on writing are rich, and ever worthwhile, and the honesty of her voice in these interviews is nothing less than haunting. I think anyone who reads and enjoys Sexton's poems will find something here to fall into and appreciate, and without doubt, I recommend it. I think there's also a lot to be gained here for beginning writers, or for writers who want a view into another artist's life.
Corbin Dodge
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I'm a huge Sexton fan and I read this book to introduce me to her personality during interviews. I would recommend reading her bio by Diane Middlebrook before this one--it was much more informative and less of a collection of random articles/interviews. The bio gave a more complete description of her life--this is purely supplemental.
Natalie Raymond
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sexton's sometimes strange essays on poetry and poetics are not to be missed for writers in this genre (or any other).
Stacia
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Bitch be real crazazay. To have been a Brookline housewife with nothing to do but hang out with Sylvia Plath and Robert Lowell, fuck around, and borrow insanity...I was born in the wrong decade.
Sara Lamers Messink

• Poemas Completos: 1980-1992
  • Selected Poems
  • Zama / El silenciero / Los suicidas
  • Poesía no completa
  • La Morada Imposible (Tomo 1)
  • The Metamorphosis and Other Stories
  • Franz Kafka's The Castle (Dramatization)
  • Un amor como pocos
  • Carroña Última Forma
  • El genio de nuestra raza: las reescrituras
  • Fastos
  • Lata Peinada: Y Otros Escritos
  • Cumpleaños
Anne Sexton once told a journalist that her fans thought she got better, but actually, she just became a poet. These words are characteristic of a talented poet that received therapy for years, but committed suicide in spite of this. The poetry fed her art, but it also imprisoned her in a way.

Her parents didnt expect much of her academically, and after completing her schooling at Rogers Hall, she

News & Interviews

“And there you are. And I liked you a lot today. A lot. And I want to talk to you. Selfishly.” 12 likes
“Sometimes I feel like another creature, hardly a woman. I can’t be a modern woman. I’m a Victorian teenager–at heart.” 1 likes